Re: [linuxham] Re: Boot manager

  • Rick Kunath
    Message 1 of 29 , Feb 6, 2007
      KV9U wrote:

      > So when does it show a drive as being sda instead of hda?

      SCSI drives show up as sd(x).

      Some motherboards use SATA drives in IDE emulation mode, so that's
      another thing to think about.

      And some motherboard's RAID emulation in software (i.e. not real RAID)
      doesn't work in Linux, thankfully most have a real hardware RAID
      controller as a second controller.

      Rick Kunath
    • Rein Couperus
      Message 2 of 29 , Feb 6, 2007
        sorry, I meant the BIOS, not DOS...

        If the BIOS sees both drives, you have full control with fdisk under Linux. Any live CD will do.

        fdisk \dev\hda
        you can use 'm' for help, 'q' for quit.
        p (to look at the partitions)
        d [partition1] (delete the old partition)
        d [partition2] (delete the old partition)
        n [partition1] (make a new Linux partition)
        t 82 (make type ext2)
        n [partition2] (make a swap partition of 1G)
        t 83 (make type Linux swap)
        p (to look at what you've done)
        then set the bootable flag on partition 1
        w (and write the partition table (use q to quit without changing anything)).

        Any Linux distro will see the empty partitions and format/copy its files into it upon install, and then write the boot loader.
        Normally the boot loader should also include your windows OS as an option.

        Then change the boot sequence in the BIOS to start with the first IDE drive (must be master).

        hope this helps.

        Rein EA/PA0R/P

        --
        http://pa0r.blogspirit.com
      • KV9U
        Message 3 of 29 , Feb 6, 2007
          I don't have any SCSI drive on my computer, but it is a SATA drive and
          showed up as an sda when I was using a Live Linux distro. This is a
          fairly inexpensive $400 Gateway about a year old with Intel Pentium 516
          running at 2.93 GHz.

          My understanding may be imperfect, but I had thought that SATA drives
          are really IDE drives, but when they went to the serial technology, they
          used the term PATA (parallel version) for IDE.

          Is it possible that SATA drives show up an sda drive, or is this
          peculiar to my equipment?

          73,

          Rick, KV9U

          Rick Kunath wrote:

          >SCSI drives show up as sd(x).
          >
          >Some motherboards use SATA drives in IDE emulation mode, so that's
          >another thing to think about.
          >
          >And some motherboard's RAID emulation in software (i.e. not real RAID)
          >doesn't work in Linux, thankfully most have a real hardware RAID
          >controller as a second controller.
          >
          >Rick Kunath

        • Rick Kunath
          Message 4 of 29 , Feb 6, 2007
            KV9U wrote:

            > I don't have any SCSI drive on my computer, but it is a SATA drive and
            > showed up as an sda when I was using a Live Linux distro. This is a
            > fairly inexpensive $400 Gateway about a year old with Intel Pentium 516
            > running at 2.93 GHz.

            Yep, SCSI, SATA and USB drives show up as sd(x) with the exact alpha
            replacing the (x) depending on the order that Linux sees the drives.

            (P)ATA drives show up as hd(x).

            > My understanding may be imperfect, but I had thought that SATA drives
            > are really IDE drives,

            Yes. IDE = Integrated Drive Electronics, EIDE = Enhanced Integrated
            Drive Electronics. All hard drives are EIDE drives these days.

            > but when they went to the serial technology, they
            > used the term PATA (parallel version) for IDE.

            Yep.

            SATA drives can also appear to an OS as an IDE drive ( hda(x) ) if the
            motherboard supports SATA IDE emulation and this is enabled in the BIOS.

            Rick Kunath
          • Jerry W
            Message 5 of 29 , Feb 6, 2007
              Rick,

              The computer was built by local Geek shop. It is has a AMD 64 bit,
              2.2 Ghz, CPU on a MSI motherboard, and 1 G RAM and the SATA drive is
              what I ment, it is 150 G.
              I installed PartitionMagic about a week ago as I wanted to use
              BootMagic for dual boot.
              So I set up a 1kb FAT32 space on the SATA drive for BootMagic which I
              installed after PartitionMagic resized the SATA drive.

              Then I installed the IDE drive 40 G, BIOS says it is there and made
              that drive the second in boot sequence. Made 38G for Linix and 2kb
              for Linux swap on the IDE drive.

              Installed or tried to install Kunbuntu 6.10 (32 bit) on the IDE drive.
              No error messages came up on install. Then had BootMagic sequence
              Windows XP (SATA drive) default for first boot and Linux as the second
              boot, set BootMagic for to be enabled for both drives.

              Went back to the install disk for Kubuntu, and made sure that GRUB was
              set for root on the IDE drive, as this is what I have done in the past
              for two hard drives but they were both IDE drives.

              What may be happing is that BootMagic does not recognize the SATA
              drive? No BootMagic GUI comes up at all.

              So went back and and removed GRUB from the IDE drive, and set GRUB for
              boot on the MBR SATA drive. Nothing comes up on the screen, boots
              right into Windows.

              Tried to reinstall Kubuntu over the old saying it was a new system and
              to format the IDE drive. I kept getting an error message, something
              about could not complete the install and would go back to the first
              step of the install.

              Now with PartitionMagic, it says the IDE drive is "bad" and will not
              let me delete or format that drive.

              Then used Knoppix, had that look at the MBR on the SATA drive.
              Knoppix Hack said I should have a 512 bit file for the partition info
              and the boot record. but it came up more like 724 bit file, so that is
              why I think the MBR on the SATA drive is messed up.

              Yes I created a 1kb FAT32 partition for BootMagic on the SATA drive, I
              thought the boot record was there?

              My head hurts, going to go play on the radio for a while. 20 meter PSK
              looks like there is some activity there.

              Jerry - K0HZI

              On 2/6/07, KV9U <mrfarm@...> wrote:
              > I don't have any SCSI drive on my computer, but it is a SATA drive and
              > showed up as an sda when I was using a Live Linux distro. This is a
              > fairly inexpensive $400 Gateway about a year old with Intel Pentium 516
              > running at 2.93 GHz.
              >
              > My understanding may be imperfect, but I had thought that SATA drives
              > are really IDE drives, but when they went to the serial technology, they
              > used the term PATA (parallel version) for IDE.
              >
              > Is it possible that SATA drives show up an sda drive, or is this
              > peculiar to my equipment?
              >
              > 73,
              >
              > Rick, KV9U
              >

              > Rick Kunath wrote:
              >

              > >SCSI drives show up as sd(x).
              > >
              > >Some motherboards use SATA drives in IDE emulation mode, so that's
              > >another thing to think about.
              > >
              > >And some motherboard's RAID emulation in software (i.e. not real RAID)
              > >doesn't work in Linux, thankfully most have a real hardware RAID
              > >controller as a second controller.
              > >
              > >Rick Kunath
              > >

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Jerry W
              Message 6 of 29 , Feb 6, 2007
                Using part of Knoppix Hack #54, Kill and Resurrect the Master Boot
                Record "SAVE THE MBR"

                knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]$ sudo dd if=/dev/sda
                of=/home/knoppix/mbr_backup bs=512 count=1

                That is where I see the sda MBR 724 byte file, I see no 512 byte
                file, the file is in binary so only can read it with a binary editor.
                I looked at the file with the binary editor, but it is all like zeros
                and ones and some other symbols I don't understand, so I left it as
                is, di not make any changes. Did not put that sda MBR file on a CD or
                floppy as I figured it would not be correct.

                Jerry - K0HZI
              • Joe Barr
                Message 7 of 29 , Feb 6, 2007
                  Sounds like GRUB and BootMagic both want to run things. I would use
                  GRUB and forget BootMagic, if that's possible, because I know GRUB
                  easily handles dual-booting, and I don't have a clue as to what
                  BootMagic can or can't do.

                  Joe

                • Joe Barr
                  Message 8 of 29 , Feb 6, 2007
                    ps: Yes, SATA drives are identified, as SDA, SDB, etc.

                  • Rick Kunath
                    Message 9 of 29 , Feb 6, 2007
                      Comments inline...

                      Jerry W wrote:
                      > The computer was built by local Geek shop. It is has a AMD 64 bit,
                      > 2.2 Ghz, CPU on a MSI motherboard, and 1 G RAM and the SATA drive is
                      > what I ment, it is 150 G.
                      > I installed PartitionMagic about a week ago as I wanted to use
                      > BootMagic for dual boot.
                      > So I set up a 1kb FAT32 space on the SATA drive for BootMagic which I
                      > installed after PartitionMagic resized the SATA drive.

                      You mean megs here, gigs, or really 1k on the FAT32 partition?? I run
                      XOSL in a 2 GB partition at the beginning of the first drive, not
                      because it needs that much space, but I have a copy of DOS7 there for
                      the stuff I need now and then that needs it.

                      > Then I installed the IDE drive 40 G, BIOS says it is there and made
                      > that drive the second in boot sequence. Made 38G for Linix and 2kb
                      > for Linux swap on the IDE drive.

                      2 GB swap, maybe?

                      > Installed or tried to install Kunbuntu 6.10 (32 bit) on the IDE drive.
                      > No error messages came up on install. Then had BootMagic sequence
                      > Windows XP (SATA drive) default for first boot and Linux as the second
                      > boot, set BootMagic for to be enabled for both drives.
                      >
                      > Went back to the install disk for Kubuntu, and made sure that GRUB was
                      > set for root on the IDE drive, as this is what I have done in the past
                      > for two hard drives but they were both IDE drives.

                      So it (BM) installed itself into the IDE drive MBR too, right? Except
                      that's where you had Linux install it's bootloader, which is likely gone
                      now. If you installed GRUB in the MBR of the IDE drive you should have
                      had BM chain to the second drive's MBR. If you put GRUB in the root
                      sector of the Linux boot partition, then you should have seen another
                      copy of BM on the MBR and chained from there to GRUB in Linux boot
                      partition. My head is spinning just thinking about this :)

                      > What may be happing is that BootMagic does not recognize the SATA
                      > drive? No BootMagic GUI comes up at all.

                      Did it ever?

                      > So went back and and removed GRUB from the IDE drive

                      From where on the drive, exactly?

                      > and set GRUB for
                      > boot on the MBR SATA drive. Nothing comes up on the screen, boots
                      > right into Windows.

                      It's not there on the MBR then. Did you get it installed on the IDE MBR
                      or the SATA MBR?

                      > Tried to reinstall Kubuntu over the old saying it was a new system and
                      > to format the IDE drive. I kept getting an error message, something
                      > about could not complete the install and would go back to the first
                      > step of the install.
                      >
                      > Now with PartitionMagic, it says the IDE drive is "bad" and will not
                      > let me delete or format that drive.
                      >
                      > Then used Knoppix, had that look at the MBR on the SATA drive.
                      > Knoppix Hack said I should have a 512 bit file for the partition info
                      > and the boot record. but it came up more like 724 bit file, so that is
                      > why I think the MBR on the SATA drive is messed up.

                      BM likely installed an extended MBR. Bad form, and one of the reasons
                      why I don't like any boot manager that messes with the standard MBR.
                      (XOSL doesn't, it uses space on the FAT32 partition it lives in as extra
                      space rather than messing up the MBR with an extended non-standard MBR.
                      It also stores copies of any MBR changes so you can go back and unscrew
                      any errors later.) But I don't think you need it, or any other boot
                      manager than GRUB.

                      So we have a few things we know...

                      Windows boots OK from the SATA drive when it is set to boot.

                      We don't know what the state of the MBR on the SATA drive is, do we? Is
                      this a non-standard MBR now, or have you reverted it back to standard?

                      If it isn't a standard MBR, find out from PowerQuest how to get it back
                      to standard.

                      When you do that, you'll be pre-Boot Magic and OK on the standard
                      Windows install on the SATA drive. I'd fire up the Windows recovery
                      console and do a fixboot and fixmbr to be sure I had a standard MBR and
                      restored boot sequence on the SATA drive.

                      We know you have an extended MBR on the second drive. This has to be
                      corrected. Once you do that, delete all of the partitions on the second
                      drive.

                      Next, we need to know if your distro supports SATA drives, and if so,
                      does it support your SATA controller? Not all are supported? What
                      exactly is your SATA controller? (Look it up on Windows in the device
                      manager.) We need to know if it is supported or not. If not, that would
                      explain why you couldn't get GRUB in the SATA drive's MBR.

                      See where you are at with these things...

                      I don't know about U/Kubuntu installs in general, but on a Mandriva 2007
                      install, you'd follow the bouncing ball, pick a drive, defer to default
                      partitioning or create your own, the installer would handle the moving,
                      re-sizing, formatting, then move to the pick-your-packages or accept the
                      default stage. You can move backwards and forwards in the install
                      process, as well as get context related help on every step explaining
                      everything, your options, how to choose, etc. After that watch the
                      blinky lights as everything gets installed. Then on to some quick tests
                      of hardware, some quick network config, ask you where to install the
                      bootloader and which one you want (default lilo, or GRUB), and reboot to
                      see the lilo screen offering you your choice of Windows or Linux. Click
                      Linux and start playing.

                      If I had to guess, using BM is a big part of why you are having so much
                      trouble with this...

                      Rick Kunath
                    • Jerry W
                      Message 10 of 29 , Feb 6, 2007
                        Symantic which now owns PartitionMagic and BootMagic advised that if
                        I made a Rescue Disk on a floppy disk , ( I did) to use that to choose
                        the boot sector. Only the NTFS drive shows and no Linux to boot to.

                        I guess the only way is to reinstall Windows XP Pro, or leave every
                        thing alone, forget about using Linux.

                        I tried to install Kubuntu on the SATA drive with a 21,006.09 MB
                        partiton for ext3 for Linux,
                        and a Linux swap 1004.1 MB partition.

                        Kubuntu did not want to install there either, kept saying there was an
                        error and took me back to step one. Also tried Simply Mepis, I have
                        used that distro a lot, like it but that would not install on the SATA
                        drive either.

                        Don't know what to do, hate to loose everything on Windows XP, have 10
                        G of files on that drive. Could try a "repair" of Windows XP pro, but
                        I have done that before and it is not the same as I originally
                        installed.

                        Jerry

                      • Rick Kunath
                        Message 11 of 29 , Feb 6, 2007
                          Jerry W wrote:

                          > Symantic which now owns PartitionMagic and BootMagic advised that if
                          > I made a Rescue Disk on a floppy disk , ( I did) to use that to choose
                          > the boot sector. Only the NTFS drive shows and no Linux to boot to.

                          You don't want to rescue BM, you want to remove it and restore the
                          standard MBR.

                          You've got to get rid of Boot Magic and get a standard MBR back. Do that
                          first.

                          > I guess the only way is to reinstall Windows XP Pro, or leave every
                          > thing alone, forget about using Linux.

                          You don't need to re-install XP. What you need to do is fix the MBR.
                          NTLDR, the XP bootloader, is in the root sector of the Windows NTFS
                          partition and intact, as you can boot Windows. The code in the MBR
                          simply chains to NTLDR.

                          If you have a real XP disk or can borrow one, you can insert it, pick
                          "recovery console" from the choices, then issue the fixboot command
                          followed by the fixmbr command. This should fix the boot sequence and
                          write a standard MBR to the SATA drive. See if you now have a standard
                          MBR. After that the SATA drive is fixed.

                          If you have a standard MBR, it is already fixed.

                          > I tried to install Kubuntu on the SATA drive with a 21,006.09 MB
                          > partiton for ext3 for Linux,
                          > and a Linux swap 1004.1 MB partition.
                          >
                          > Kubuntu did not want to install there either, kept saying there was an
                          > error and took me back to step one. Also tried Simply Mepis, I have
                          > used that distro a lot, like it but that would not install on the SATA
                          > drive either.

                          I am wondering if your SATA motherboard controller is not supported in
                          any of the Linux versions you tried so far? What is it hardware wise?
                          Are you trying to do some kind of software RAID?

                          > Don't know what to do, hate to loose everything on Windows XP, have 10
                          > G of files on that drive. Could try a "repair" of Windows XP pro, but
                          > I have done that before and it is not the same as I originally
                          > installed.

                          You don't need to repair XP. Your issue is not with XP, but the MBR on
                          the SATA drive. You don't have to touch XP to fix that.

                          So... lets find out if you have now got a standard MBR on the SATA
                          drive, and what the SATA controller on your motherboard is.

                          Don't give up yet :)

                          Rick Kunath, k9ao
                        • Rick Kunath
                          Message 12 of 29 , Feb 6, 2007
                            Jerry W wrote:
                            > Using part of Knoppix Hack #54, Kill and Resurrect the Master Boot
                            > Record "SAVE THE MBR"
                            >
                            > knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]$ sudo dd if=/dev/sda
                            > of=/home/knoppix/mbr_backup bs=512 count=1
                            >
                            > That is where I see the sda MBR 724 byte file, I see no 512 byte
                            > file,

                            That's because the standard 512 byte MBR was replaced with an EMBR
                            (Extended MBR) by Boot Magic. What you need to do is restore the
                            original standard 512 byte MBR.

                            > the file is in binary so only can read it with a binary editor.
                            > I looked at the file with the binary editor, but it is all like zeros
                            > and ones and some other symbols I don't understand, so I left it as
                            > is, di not make any changes. Did not put that sda MBR file on a CD or
                            > floppy as I figured it would not be correct.

                            Right, it's an extended MBR, not a standard MBR. One of the bad side
                            effects of Boot Magic, and some other boot managers.

                            Did you load up your XP install disk and start the recovery console,
                            then issue a fixmbr command?

                            That'll tell Windows to replace the MBR with a standard MBR which it
                            will do, and then issue a fixboot command. This will set everything back
                            to a standard MBR and the normal Windows boor sequence.

                            Once you are there, worry about fixing the second drive.

                            Rick Kunath

                            > Jerry - K0HZI
                            >

                            > Yahoo! Groups Links

                          • Jerry W
                            Message 13 of 29 , Feb 7, 2007
                              Rick,

                              Success, and thanks for all the input. Before I used the recovery
                              console I completely removed BootMagic from the computer. Used the
                              fixmbr command. Windows booted normal. Then using PartitionMagic
                              looked at the IDE drive and it was back to normal. So in case there
                              were some bad files reformatted the IDE drive then set it as a Linux
                              ext3 drive, the whole 40 G. Tried to install Kubuntu with GRUB on the
                              SATA drive, gave me an error and it did not complete the install. So
                              installed with GRUB on the IDE drive, that worked, switched the IDE
                              drive as the first boot drive, there was the menu for Kunbuntu and
                              Windows XP and every thing seems to be working correctly both Windows
                              and Kubuntu 6.10.

                              Before I go any further, Dave - W1HKJ if your reading this, what do I
                              need to install for fldigi besides the files on your site?

                              Thanks again for all the help for an old geezer.

                              Things are looking better, even got above zero yesterday for the first
                              time since last Friday. 12 above, but a lot better than minus 15 last
                              Saturday.

                              Jerry - K0HZI

                              On 2/6/07, Rick Kunath <k9ao@...> wrote:
                              > Jerry W wrote:
                              > > Using part of Knoppix Hack #54, Kill and Resurrect the Master Boot
                              > > Record "SAVE THE MBR"
                              > >
                              > > knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]$ sudo dd if=/dev/sda
                              > > of=/home/knoppix/mbr_backup bs=512 count=1
                              > >
                              > > That is where I see the sda MBR 724 byte file, I see no 512 byte
                              > > file,
                              >
                              > That's because the standard 512 byte MBR was replaced with an EMBR
                              > (Extended MBR) by Boot Magic. What you need to do is restore the
                              > original standard 512 byte MBR.
                              >

                              > > the file is in binary so only can read it with a binary editor.
                              > > I looked at the file with the binary editor, but it is all like zeros
                              > > and ones and some other symbols I don't understand, so I left it as
                              > > is, di not make any changes. Did not put that sda MBR file on a CD or
                              > > floppy as I figured it would not be correct.
                              >
                              > Right, it's an extended MBR, not a standard MBR. One of the bad side
                              > effects of Boot Magic, and some other boot managers.
                              >
                              > Did you load up your XP install disk and start the recovery console,
                              > then issue a fixmbr command?
                              >
                              > That'll tell Windows to replace the MBR with a standard MBR which it
                              > will do, and then issue a fixboot command. This will set everything back
                              > to a standard MBR and the normal Windows boor sequence.
                              >
                              > Once you are there, worry about fixing the second drive.
                              >
                              > Rick Kunath
                              >

                              > > Jerry - K0HZI
                              > >

                              > > Yahoo! Groups Links
                              > >

                              > Yahoo! Groups Links

                            • Rick Kunath
                              Message 14 of 29 , Feb 7, 2007
                                Jerry W wrote:
                                > Rick,
                                >
                                > Success, and thanks for all the input. Before I used the recovery
                                > console I completely removed BootMagic from the computer. Used the
                                > fixmbr command. Windows booted normal. Then using PartitionMagic
                                > looked at the IDE drive and it was back to normal. So in case there
                                > were some bad files reformatted the IDE drive then set it as a Linux
                                > ext3 drive, the whole 40 G. Tried to install Kubuntu with GRUB on the
                                > SATA drive, gave me an error and it did not complete the install. So
                                > installed with GRUB on the IDE drive, that worked, switched the IDE
                                > drive as the first boot drive, there was the menu for Kunbuntu and
                                > Windows XP and every thing seems to be working correctly both Windows
                                > and Kubuntu 6.10.

                                Excellent news Jerry!

                                And a good lesson for us all as to third-party bootloaders like Boot
                                Magic and why using them might not be such a good idea. Also on why
                                using Partition Magic or any cylinder-boundary limited partitioning tool
                                is a bad idea with Linux. Glad you got it sorted out.

                                I suspect that your distro does not fully support the SATA drive
                                controller chipset and that is why you can't install GRUB on it. If
                                anyone is looking to use a drive like this, make sure that the
                                motherboard chipset is supported, and know whether you have to set the
                                SATA drive controller to IDE emulation before formatting or can use it
                                as an SATA drive.

                                Your solution of booting the second drive first is a good one.

                                Rick Kunath, k9ao
                              • KV9U
                                Message 15 of 29 , Feb 7, 2007
                                  Are you saying that no Linux distibution can support SATA drives
                                  directly and always need you to change the drive controller to IDE
                                  emulation?

                                  Aren't most all computers made in the past few years using SATA drives?

                                  Rick, KV9U

                                  Rick Kunath wrote:

                                  >And a good lesson for us all as to third-party bootloaders like Boot
                                  >Magic and why using them might not be such a good idea. Also on why
                                  >using Partition Magic or any cylinder-boundary limited partitioning tool
                                  >is a bad idea with Linux. Glad you got it sorted out.
                                  >
                                  >I suspect that your distro does not fully support the SATA drive
                                  >controller chipset and that is why you can't install GRUB on it. If
                                  >anyone is looking to use a drive like this, make sure that the
                                  >motherboard chipset is supported, and know whether you have to set the
                                  >SATA drive controller to IDE emulation before formatting or can use it
                                  >as an SATA drive.
                                  >
                                  >Your solution of booting the second drive first is a good one.
                                  >
                                  >Rick Kunath, k9ao

                                • Rick Kunath
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Feb 7, 2007
                                    KV9U wrote:
                                    > Are you saying that no Linux distibution can support SATA drives
                                    > directly and always need you to change the drive controller to IDE
                                    > emulation?

                                    Nope.

                                    Lots of SATA controllers are supported directly, of those that are, some
                                    are not supported using SATA software RAID, but since software raid
                                    isn't really RAID anyway, it isn't important.

                                    Sometimes when a controller isn't supported by SATA drivers on a distro,
                                    the drive can still be used using IDE emulation.

                                    It's better to buy supported hardware and make sure you don't have
                                    compatibility issues with your particular distro choice. On Mandriva
                                    2007 most SATA drives work just fine in native SATA mode. But there are
                                    so many SATA controller chipsets out there, you need to be sure the
                                    chipset is supported by the kernel drivers. It isn't as universal as IDE
                                    support quite yet.

                                    Rick Kunath, k9ao