Re: [linuxham] Re: fldigi attenuation of Rx Audio

  • Larry Levesque
    Message 1 of 24 , Oct 17, 2009
    • 1 Attachment
    • 188 KB
    On Sat, 2009-10-17 at 22:54 +0000, k0lqb2001 wrote:

    > --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, deaf one <deafcasa@...> wrote:
    > >
    > > regarding adjustments: in FLDIGI, on the left of the "send" pane
    > (there is
    > > one also on the "receive" pane) you will see a little dot. Click and
    > hold
    > > that with your mouse, then slide it up or down.
    > > This adjusts your audio gain for incoming. Same effect in the other
    > pane but
    > > adjust for sending (watch the ALC action on the radio).
    > >
    > > Ron, wb1hga

    > need also.

    > > > Hope I'm not off base, an exclusive Linux user, but IIRC, at
    > > > least Win2000 uses two separate panes for the audio mixer
    > settings.. The
    > > > one labeled "Recording" controls the line/mic input levels, unless
    > the
    > > > app overrides it's default settings.. ?? ..
    > > >
    > > > Vy 73,
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > >
    > > > Hal UNIX-GNU/Linux - Slackware 11.0, 2.4.33.3
    > > > .

    > > >I must be one of the stupidest people in amateur radio, I cannot
    > find the two slider dots Frank, that you refered to. In fact I cannot
    > be sure what you are talking about when you mention the receive pane
    > and the send pane. I thought you are talking about the area that you
    > see the incomming signal and transmissions and where you first see
    > what you are sending to the person.
    > Roert

    Notice my cursor on the left side of the screen.
  • Rick Kunath
    Message 2 of 24 , Oct 17, 2009
      > I cannot find the two slider dots Frank, that you referred to. In fact I
      > cannot be sure what you are talking about when you mention the receive pane
      > and the send pane. I thought you are talking about the area that you see
      > the incoming signal and transmissions and where you first see what you are
      > sending to the person.

      The mixer controls on the left side of the Fldigi window are there only in the
      Linux version. And then only if you have selected to let Fldigi manage the
      Linux OSS emulated mixer.

      These are not part of the program under Windows (or OS X, I don't think?)

      Use the Windows mixer to control the receive and transmit levels. And as was
      mentioned up the thread, be sure to click the recording mixer as the default
      mixer shown in some versions of Windows is the playback mixer.

      Regarding the radio in question: if it is replaced with another radio and
      things work, and you replace a working radio with the radio in question and
      things don't work, these all point to the radio as the problem.

      *Exactly* how is this radio being interfaced to the computer and how is that
      different from the test radio you tried on the system, that worked?

      Rick Kunath, k9ao
    • deaf one
      Message 3 of 24 , Oct 17, 2009

         I'm sorry I caused some confusion. I thought he was running Linux and I wasn't aware that "feature" I described is not in windows version.

        I'll be quiet so as not to cause any further misunderstanding.

        I would like to know the solution. I wish that person success.

        72
        Ron, wb1hga

      • Dick Kriss
        Message 4 of 24 , Oct 17, 2009

          On 10/17/09 5:54 PM, "k0lqb2001" <lsidebotto@...> wrote:

          --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com <mailto:linuxham%40yahoogroups.com> , deaf one <deafcasa@...> wrote:

          > regarding adjustments: in FLDIGI, on the left of the "send" pane (there is
          > one also on the "receive" pane) you will see a little dot. Click and hold
          > that with your mouse, then slide it up or down.
          > This adjusts your audio gain for incoming. Same effect in the other pane but
          > adjust for sending (watch the ALC action on the radio).
          >
          > Ron, wb1hga
          >
          > On Sat, Oct 17, 2009 at 2:11 PM, Hal <halinux@...> wrote:

          > > > No, there isn't.
          > > >
          > > > Use the Windows mixer.
          > > >
          > > > Rick Kunath, k9ao
          > > >

          > >        Hope I'm not off base, an exclusive Linux user, but IIRC, at
          > > least Win2000 uses two separate panes for the audio mixer settings.. The
          > > one labeled "Recording" controls the line/mic input levels, unless the
          > > app overrides it's default settings.. ?? ..
          > >
          > > Vy 73,
          > >
          > > --
          > >
          > >             Hal       UNIX-GNU/Linux - Slackware 11.0, 2.4.33.3
          > > .

          > >I must be one of the stupidest people in amateur radio, I cannot find the two slider dots Frank, that you refered to.  In fact I cannot be sure what you are talking about when you mention the receive pane and the send pane.  I thought you are talking about the area that you see the incomming signal and transmissions and where you first see what you are sending to the person.
          Roert

          Your not alone.  I suspect the sliders are only used in the Linux version. They
          are not in the OS X version.
        • frankcfx
          Message 5 of 24 , Oct 18, 2009
            I am not sure if the question on audio was when using OSX. If it was, the audio adjustments are set in preferences under sound.
            Frank

            > On Fri, 16 Oct 2009 21:24:12 -0500
            > Dick Kriss <aa5vu@...> wrote:

            > > > In fldigi v3.12.4 for Linux, on the left wall of receive screen,
            > > > there is a small vertical slider. That is a receive volume control.
            > > > That is the top half of the screen in split-screen mode.
            > > > Also, on bottom half of screen, or the transmit window, same
            > > > location, left wall. That controls the transmit drive audio.
            > > > I am using here linux / Ubuntu (Karmic) v9.10 with fldigi v3.12.4,
            > > > if that helps any. My slider is adjusted for about 75% and the
            > > > audio from the receiver to the computer is then adjusted through
            > > > the sound card control for approx. 30% which gives a decent display
            > > > for all bands, noisy or quiet. Hope that helps.
            > > >

            > > Ed W3NR described the same thing and I had no idea what he
            > > was talking about. The feature you described must have been
            > > dropped out of the .dmg version of fldigi for use with OS X.
            > >
            > > Sounds like a neat feature to me.
            > >
            > > Dick AA5VU
            >

            > Please take a look here ::
            >
            > http://www.w1hkj.com/Fldigi.html
            >
            > The screenshots show the available fldigi gui's.
            >
            > This page shows the gui's that are OS specific. The sliders in
            > question are limited by the OS and are OS specific. They were not
            > dropped from any OS specific version of fldigi. They were not
            > implemented because the OS does not support this feature. If you want
            > to be able to use the slider function, install Linux. The Pup version
            > of fldigi is also a viable alternative. You can boot this from a USB
            > stick or as I did from an old Ipod.
            >
            > If you suspect the sound card, USB codecs are available on Ebay for
            > $2.45 USD delivered, and yes they work just fine with fldigi.
            >
            > In 3+ years of working with fldigi, 99.9% of sound card problems were
            > "cockpit" errors on the users part.
            >
            > Back to the JARTS RTTY contest and chasing K4M on 30 CW.
            >
            > Ed W3NR

          • Dick Kriss
            Message 6 of 24 , Oct 18, 2009
              Frank,

              We probably had too many quotes and re-quotes on this topic.
              I am aware of the System Preferences/Sounds panel in OS X
              and I do not have Rx audio issues other than trying to decode the
              weak K4M operation CW signals.

              This topic started when Jeff, N8NOE, wanted to know what
              changed in fldigi that seemed to be attenuating his receive audio.
              His setup works fine with fldigi-3.10 but there is little or no
              signals in the waterfall display when he tries to use fldig-3.12.4.

              He was wanting to know if there was receive audio adjustment in
              the the new versions and that¹s when I discovered there are sliders
              in the Linux versions that are not used in the OS X or Windows.

              I really could not help Jeff as my setup is different. I use a
              Kenwood that has an audio output adjustment and his Icom does
              not. I also use the SignaLink USB that has a Rx adjustment. Jeff
              is using the SignaLink SL-1+ via an iMic to bring the audio into a
              USB port on his iMac. I suspect both the SL-1+ and the iMic are
              attenuating his audio. He has the Mac Sound setting at Max.

              I cannot explain why fldigi-3.10 works for N8NOE but the later
              versions do not. Jeff will have to stay with 3.10 or use cocoaModem
              that works with his setup.

              The best digital addition I made to my station was to replace the
              SL-1+ and iMic with a SL USB that has an integrated sound card.

              Has something changed in the more recent versions of fldigi
              that could effect receive audio?

              Dick AA5VU

              On 10/18/09 10:32 AM, "frankcfx" <frankcfx@...> wrote:

              > I am not sure if the question on audio was when using OSX. If it was, the
              > audio adjustments are set in preferences under sound.
              > Frank
            • Rick Kunath
              Message 7 of 24 , Oct 18, 2009
                Comments inline...

                Dick Kriss wrote:
                > This topic started when Jeff, N8NOE, wanted to know what
                > changed in fldigi that seemed to be attenuating his receive audio.
                > His setup works fine with fldigi-3.10 but there is little or no
                > signals in the waterfall display when he tries to use fldig-3.12.4.
                >
                > He was wanting to know if there was receive audio adjustment in
                > the the new versions and that's when I discovered there are sliders
                > in the Linux versions that are not used in the OS X or Windows.
                >
                > I really could not help Jeff as my setup is different. I use a
                > Kenwood that has an audio output adjustment and his Icom does
                > not. I also use the SignaLink USB that has a Rx adjustment. Jeff
                > is using the SignaLink SL-1+ via an iMic to bring the audio into a
                > USB port on his iMac. I suspect both the SL-1+ and the iMic are
                > attenuating his audio. He has the Mac Sound setting at Max.

                Doesn't the SL-1+ have an internal receive level adjustment? Where does
                he have that set? Has he cranked it up?

                Is there any isolation, i.e. isolation transformer isolation in that
                audio chain? Does the Signalink do that?

                Wondering if the Signalink is set to output at mic or line level into
                the iMic? (Is that even settable?)

                And, does some other radio work with this setup?

                Where are the waterfall adjustments set? Has he tried moving these to
                see if the waterfall trace reappears? I remember having to change these
                waterfall settings a while ago after one build. It may be that he is
                seeing the difference in waterfall sensitivity and not adjusting the
                waterfall controls for a readable display again.

                Where are his sample rates set? What is the native sample rate for the
                iMic? What Fldigi sync interpolator is he using?

                > I cannot explain why fldigi-3.10 works for N8NOE but the later
                > versions do not. Jeff will have to stay with 3.10 or use cocoaModem
                > that works with his setup.

                Fldigi may indeed be working but the waterfall sensitivity settings may
                be off.

                > The best digital addition I made to my station was to replace the
                > SL-1+ and iMic with a SL USB that has an integrated sound card.

                Sounds like the SL USB has a better sound card or driver?

                What is the audio level out of that radio? Has anyone measured it or
                read the spec off the spec sheet?

                Rick Kunath, k9ao
                Message 8 of 24 , Oct 18, 2009
                  Dick Kriss wrote:
                  > Has something changed in the more recent versions of fldigi
                  > that could effect receive audio?

                  No intentional change. We need to know at what point in the version
                  scheme the audio sensitivity changed.

                  Dave
                • Dick Kriss
                  Message 9 of 24 , Oct 18, 2009
                    On 10/18/09 1:26 PM, "Dave Freese W1HKJ" <w1hkj@...> wrote:

                    > Dick Kriss wrote:
                    >> Has something changed in the more recent versions of fldigi
                    >> that could effect receive audio?
                    >>
                    > No intentional change. We need to know at what point in the version
                    > scheme the audio sensitivity changed.
                    >
                    > Dave

                    Dave,

                    I have not noticed the problem. Jeff N8NOE says his works with fldigi-3.10
                    but does not with fldigi 3.12.4.

                    Dick
                    Message 10 of 24 , Oct 18, 2009

                      Dick Kriss wrote:

                      Has something changed in the more recent versions of fldigi
                      that could effect receive audio?

                      No intentional change.  We need to know at what point in the version
                      scheme the audio sensitivity changed.

                      Dave

                      Dave,

                      I have not noticed the problem. Jeff N8NOE says his works with fldigi-3.10
                      but does not with fldigi 3.12.4.

                      Dick

                      The configuration files for 3.10 and 3.12.4 are not compatible with each other.  Can you help Jeff in saving his 3.10 configuration files so that he can start 3.12.4 (or perhaps 3.13) without having the 3.10 files present.

                      Dave
                    • k0lqb2001
                      Message 11 of 24 , Oct 18, 2009

                        > Dick Kriss wrote:

                        > >> No intentional change. We need to know at what point in the version
                        > >> scheme the audio sensitivity changed.
                        > >>
                        > >> Dave
                        > >>

                        > > Dave,
                        > >
                        > > I have not noticed the problem. Jeff N8NOE says his works with fldigi-3.10
                        > > but does not with fldigi 3.12.4.
                        > >
                        > > Dick
                        > >
                        > The configuration files for 3.10 and 3.12.4 are not compatible with each
                        > other. Can you help Jeff in saving his 3.10 configuration files so that
                        > he can start 3.12.4 (or perhaps 3.13) without having the 3.10 files present.
                        >
                        > Dave

                        Gentlemen,

                        Rich found my problem with why one system worked and the other does not. Being as I am very new to the use of outside interfaces I did not know that I needed an interface (such as the SignaLink) to convey the audio from the radio to the computer. Why the FT-897worked is that it is picking up the signal from the speakers on the radio and funnelling it to the built in mike on the Dell Computer. I have to get a cable for the FT-857/897 and I will be in buisness. Thanks to all of you that took the time to help me out. I really appreciate your help.
                        Robert
                      • Dick Kriss
                        Message 12 of 24 , Oct 19, 2009
                          Re: [linuxham] Re: fldigi attenuation of Rx Audio FYI, I got Jeff N8NOE to start over based on your tip and
                          he is making good progress. It is working better for him
                          and he even has the linux version running.

                          Thanks for the tip

                          Dick

                          On 10/18/09 3:33 PM, "Dave Freese W1HKJ" <w1hkj@...> wrote: