Re: [linuxham] Re: High CPU load with 3.12.4

  • Harry Bloomberg
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 3, 2009
      On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 4:42 PM, jhaynesatalumni<jhhaynes@...> wrote:

      > I just removed xorg.conf, since X11 doesn't seem to need one anymore,
      > and now the CPU loading is quite modest. So guess there was something
      > funny in the xorg.conf that was in use.

      I noticed the same thing on my Ubuntu 9.04 box. So I also removed
      the xorg.conf and my CPU loading went down too!

      This really bothers me as I don't see anything in the xorg.conf
      file that I think could cause it. Here's the non-comment contents of
      the file. As you can see, this looks pretty harmless to me.

      Section "Device"
      Identifier "Configured Video Device"
      EndSection

      Section "Monitor"
      Identifier "Configured Monitor"
      EndSection

      Section "Screen"
      Identifier "Default Screen"
      Monitor "Configured Monitor"
      Device "Configured Video Device"
      EndSection

      73,
      Harry Bloomberg W3YJ
      hbloomb@...
      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 4, 2009
        Harry Bloomberg wrote:
        > On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 4:42 PM, jhaynesatalumni<jhhaynes@...> wrote:
        >
        >> I just removed xorg.conf, since X11 doesn't seem to need one anymore,
        >> and now the CPU loading is quite modest. So guess there was something
        >> funny in the xorg.conf that was in use.
        >>
        > I noticed the same thing on my Ubuntu 9.04 box. So I also removed
        > the xorg.conf and my CPU loading went down too!
        >
        > This really bothers me as I don't see anything in the xorg.conf
        > file that I think could cause it. Here's the non-comment contents of
        > the file. As you can see, this looks pretty harmless to me.
        >
        > Section "Device"
        > Identifier "Configured Video Device"
        > EndSection
        >
        > Section "Monitor"
        > Identifier "Configured Monitor"
        > EndSection
        >
        > Section "Screen"
        > Identifier "Default Screen"
        > Monitor "Configured Monitor"
        > Device "Configured Video Device"
        > EndSection
        >

        > 73,
        > Harry Bloomberg W3YJ
        > hbloomb@...

        If xorg.conf is no longer being used, then what/where is the replacement

        My xorg.conf is not empty, Ubuntu 9.04

        > Section "Screen"
        > Identifier "Default Screen"
        > Monitor "Configured Monitor"
        > Device "Configured Video Device"
        > DefaultDepth 24
        > Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"
        > EndSection
        >
        > Section "Module"
        > Load "glx"
        > EndSection
        >
        > Section "Device"
        > Identifier "Configured Video Device"
        > Driver "nvidia"
        > Option "NoLogo" "True"
        > EndSection

        Ed W3NR
      • pa3gwh
        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 4, 2009
          Perhaps this has nothing to do with it, but
          haven't we seen this before when using specific fonts?

          Richard

          > I'm seeing this on the Ubuntu 9.04 system at W5YM, which has
          > a 2.5 GHz Pentium 4. Running fldigi the CPU load goes very high,
          > almost maxed out. I've tried various combinations of rig control,
          > makes no difference. Checked that the fonts are fixed pitch.
          >
          > I notice when I open another window in front of fldigi, such as the
          > configuration window or a terminal window, the CPU load drops so
          > long as the main fldigi window is partially covered, goes back
          > high as soon as I bring fldigi into the foreground.
          >
          > One of the guys who should know says this cpu loading is not
          > happening under Windows, only under Linux. And I am not seeing it
          > at home where I'm running Fedora 11.
          >
          > Any clues what I should be looking for?
          >
          > Jim W6JVE

        • Larry Levesque
          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 4, 2009
            I have seen this happen before with compiz enabled. Try diabling it.

            Message 5 of 16 , Sep 4, 2009
              Larry Levesque wrote:
              > I have seen this happen before with compiz enabled. Try diabling it.
              > On Fri, Sep 04, 2009 at 11:45:01AM -0000, pa3gwh wrote:
              >> Perhaps this has nothing to do with it, but
              >> haven't we seen this before when using specific fonts?
              >>
              >> Richard

              I think you both are on the right track. I disable compiz right off the
              bat. Its annoying as the devil.

              Ed W3NR
            • jhaynesatalumni
              Message 6 of 16 , Sep 4, 2009
                I don't pretend to understand things anymore, but apparently
                with monitors telling the computer what their characteristics
                are, and with standardization of things, X11 now has everything
                it needs, such as modelines, compiled in. So you only need
                the xorg.conf if you need to override something

                The talk about fonts has to do with proportional-spaced fonts.
                They cause a lot of CPU consumption. If you choose fixed-width
                fonts you don't have that problem.

                I don't know what compiz is, and apparently it is not installed
                on my home machine. I'll have to check on the Ubuntu machine
                at W5YM that was having the problem. Where do you go to
                disable it?

                Jim W6JVE
              • Larry Levesque
                Message 7 of 16 , Sep 4, 2009
                  On Fri, Sep 04, 2009 at 04:14:30PM -0000, jhaynesatalumni wrote:
                  > I don't pretend to understand things anymore, but apparently
                  > with monitors telling the computer what their characteristics
                  > are, and with standardization of things, X11 now has everything
                  > it needs, such as modelines, compiled in. So you only need
                  > the xorg.conf if you need to override something
                  >
                  > The talk about fonts has to do with proportional-spaced fonts.
                  > They cause a lot of CPU consumption. If you choose fixed-width
                  > fonts you don't have that problem.
                  >
                  > I don't know what compiz is, and apparently it is not installed
                  > on my home machine. I'll have to check on the Ubuntu machine
                  > at W5YM that was having the problem. Where do you go to
                  > disable it?
                  >
                  > Jim W6JVE

                  Compiz is a graphical manager for the desktop. It add the desktop cube and fancy effects.

                  Go to the "System - Preference - Appearance" menu item or just right click on the empty desktop.
                  Choose the Visual Effects tab and choose None.

                  KA1VGM
                  Message 8 of 16 , Sep 4, 2009
                    Larry Levesque wrote:
                    > Compiz is a graphical manager for the desktop. It add the desktop cube and fancy effects.
                    >
                    > Go to the "System - Preference - Appearance" menu item or just right click on the empty desktop.
                    > Choose the Visual Effects tab and choose None.
                    >
                    > KA1VGM

                    I recently installed Ubuntu 9.04 on two smaller computers, a Notebook
                    and a Netbook. The default desktop installation is to preset the Visual
                    Effects at moderate. The first thing I do is open that tab and select
                    None. I can only be mesmerized by sliding, flipping, dissolving windows
                    for about 2 seconds and then it is in my face.

                    Dave
                  • jhaynesatalumni
                    Message 9 of 16 , Sep 4, 2009

                      > Larry Levesque wrote:
                      > > Compiz is a graphical manager for the desktop. It add the desktop cube and fancy effects.
                      > >
                      > > Go to the "System - Preference - Appearance" menu item or just right click on the empty desktop.
                      > > Choose the Visual Effects tab and choose None.
                      > >
                      > > KA1VGM
                      OK, on my home system there is no visual effects tab, so I guess
                      that confirms I don't have compiz installed.
                    • Nate Bargmann
                      Message 10 of 16 , Sep 4, 2009
                        * Ed <autek@...> [2009 Sep 04 04:59 -0500]:

                        > If xorg.conf is no longer being used, then what/where is the replacement

                        There isn't one. The X server determines everything at run time. It's
                        also why later Xorg packages depend on the hal package much to the
                        consternation of some users.

                        73, de Nate >>