Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

High CPU load with 3.12.4

Expand Messages
  • jhaynesatalumni
    I m seeing this on the Ubuntu 9.04 system at W5YM, which has a 2.5 GHz Pentium 4. Running fldigi the CPU load goes very high, almost maxed out. I ve tried
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 2, 2009
    • 0 Attachment
      I'm seeing this on the Ubuntu 9.04 system at W5YM, which has
      a 2.5 GHz Pentium 4. Running fldigi the CPU load goes very high,
      almost maxed out. I've tried various combinations of rig control,
      makes no difference. Checked that the fonts are fixed pitch.

      I notice when I open another window in front of fldigi, such as the
      configuration window or a terminal window, the CPU load drops so
      long as the main fldigi window is partially covered, goes back
      high as soon as I bring fldigi into the foreground.

      One of the guys who should know says this cpu loading is not
      happening under Windows, only under Linux. And I am not seeing it
      at home where I'm running Fedora 11.

      Any clues what I should be looking for?

      Jim W6JVE
    • w1hkj
      ... I run that version on Ubuntu 9.04 desktop, Ubuntu 9.04 on Compaq Notebook, and Ubuntu 9.04 - Lenovo netbook. The binaries are created on an Ubuntu 9.04
      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 2, 2009
      • 0 Attachment
        jhaynesatalumni wrote:
        > I'm seeing this on the Ubuntu 9.04 system at W5YM, which has
        > a 2.5 GHz Pentium 4. Running fldigi the CPU load goes very high,
        > almost maxed out. I've tried various combinations of rig control,
        > makes no difference. Checked that the fonts are fixed pitch.
        >
        > I notice when I open another window in front of fldigi, such as the
        > configuration window or a terminal window, the CPU load drops so
        > long as the main fldigi window is partially covered, goes back
        > high as soon as I bring fldigi into the foreground.
        >
        > One of the guys who should know says this cpu loading is not
        > happening under Windows, only under Linux. And I am not seeing it
        > at home where I'm running Fedora 11.
        >
        > Any clues what I should be looking for?
        >
        > Jim W6JVE
        >
        I run that version on Ubuntu 9.04 desktop, Ubuntu 9.04 on Compaq
        Notebook, and Ubuntu 9.04 - Lenovo netbook. The binaries are created on
        an Ubuntu 9.04 system.

        In fact I just tested this again to be sure ... downloaded the
        3.12.4.npa.bin.tgz file to the Lenovo. Started the application and also
        opened up the system monitor. fldigi runs at 20% cpu on that little
        box. No evidence of cpu thrashing.

        What are you using for the sound card settings Jim?

        Sample Rate - should be set to Native
        Converter - I am running that Lenovo with Medium Sinc Interpolator
        The audio device is using the PortAudio drivers ... don't recommend the
        older OSS.

        With Best Sinc Interpolator the cpu usage is 50%
        With the Fastest Sinc Interpolator the cpu usage is 6%
        With the Linear (only use if absolutely necessary) the cpu usage is 3%

        I can transfer files without any dropped bits using the Fastest Sinc
        Interpolator.

        Sounds like something is broken in that OS install or in the h/w.

        Dave
      • T + J Williams
        Jim, ... Interesting. Does it matter what part of fldigi is covered. Specifically, I wonder if the load depends on if the waterfall is covered or not. -- 73
        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 2, 2009
        • 0 Attachment
          Jim,

          On Thu, 2009-09-03 at 01:17 +0000, jhaynesatalumni wrote:
          >


          > a 2.5 GHz Pentium 4. Running fldigi the CPU load goes very high,
          > almost maxed out. I've tried various combinations of rig control,
          > makes no difference. Checked that the fonts are fixed pitch.
          >
          > I notice when I open another window in front of fldigi, such as the
          > configuration window or a terminal window, the CPU load drops so
          > long as the main fldigi window is partially covered, goes back
          > high as soon as I bring fldigi into the foreground.
          >

          Interesting. Does it matter what part of fldigi is covered.
          Specifically, I wonder if the load depends on if the waterfall is
          covered or not.


          --

          73

          Ted - wa0eir
          http://wa0eir.ham.org
        • Ed
          ... Like Dave I m not seeing this here either. Ubuntu 9.04 on a 1.6 GHz with 1 gig of ram. My audio is set to fastest and native. fldigi is running about 10%
          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 3, 2009
          • 0 Attachment
            jhaynesatalumni wrote:
            > I'm seeing this on the Ubuntu 9.04 system at W5YM, which has
            > a 2.5 GHz Pentium 4. Running fldigi the CPU load goes very high,
            > almost maxed out. I've tried various combinations of rig control,
            > makes no difference. Checked that the fonts are fixed pitch.
            >
            > I notice when I open another window in front of fldigi, such as the
            > configuration window or a terminal window, the CPU load drops so
            > long as the main fldigi window is partially covered, goes back
            > high as soon as I bring fldigi into the foreground.
            >
            > One of the guys who should know says this cpu loading is not
            > happening under Windows, only under Linux. And I am not seeing it
            > at home where I'm running Fedora 11.
            >
            > Any clues what I should be looking for?
            >
            > Jim W6JVE

            Like Dave I'm not seeing this here either. Ubuntu 9.04 on a 1.6 GHz with
            1 gig of ram. My audio is set to fastest and native. fldigi is running
            about 10% cpu load according to Top. System monitor is showing the same,
            irregardless if the waterfall is covered or not. I'm using port audio
            for the device and have that set to /dev/dsp.

            Ed W3NR
          • jhaynesatalumni
            I ll do some more testing this afternoon. I ve been using portaudio, the sample rate is set for default (44.1 KHz) and I ve tried the different sinc
            Message 5 of 16 , Sep 3, 2009
            • 0 Attachment
              I'll do some more testing this afternoon. I've been
              using portaudio, the sample rate is set for default
              (44.1 KHz) and I've tried the different sinc interpolator
              settings without much effect (except that best is worst).

              The screen is rather small, but I'll see if covering different
              parts of the display makes a difference.
            • jhaynesatalumni
              What I ve learned so far is that reducing the size of the fldigi window reduces the CPU usage. If I bring another window into the foreground, partially
              Message 6 of 16 , Sep 3, 2009
              • 0 Attachment
                What I've learned so far is that reducing the size of the fldigi
                window reduces the CPU usage. If I bring another window into the
                foreground, partially covering the fldigi window, the cpu usage
                drops, but it doesn't seem to matter which part of the window is
                covered.

                I just removed xorg.conf, since X11 doesn't seem to need one anymore,
                and now the CPU loading is quite modest. So guess there was something
                funny in the xorg.conf that was in use.
              • Harry Bloomberg
                ... I noticed the same thing on my Ubuntu 9.04 box. So I also removed the xorg.conf and my CPU loading went down too! This really bothers me as I don t see
                Message 7 of 16 , Sep 3, 2009
                • 0 Attachment
                  On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 4:42 PM, jhaynesatalumni<jhhaynes@...> wrote:

                  >
                  > I just removed xorg.conf, since X11 doesn't seem to need one anymore,
                  > and now the CPU loading is quite modest. So guess there was something
                  > funny in the xorg.conf that was in use.
                  >
                  I noticed the same thing on my Ubuntu 9.04 box. So I also removed
                  the xorg.conf and my CPU loading went down too!

                  This really bothers me as I don't see anything in the xorg.conf
                  file that I think could cause it. Here's the non-comment contents of
                  the file. As you can see, this looks pretty harmless to me.

                  Section "Device"
                  Identifier "Configured Video Device"
                  EndSection

                  Section "Monitor"
                  Identifier "Configured Monitor"
                  EndSection

                  Section "Screen"
                  Identifier "Default Screen"
                  Monitor "Configured Monitor"
                  Device "Configured Video Device"
                  EndSection


                  73,
                  Harry Bloomberg W3YJ
                  hbloomb@...
                • Ed
                  ... If xorg.conf is no longer being used, then what/where is the replacement My xorg.conf is not empty, Ubuntu 9.04 ... Ed W3NR
                  Message 8 of 16 , Sep 4, 2009
                  • 0 Attachment
                    Harry Bloomberg wrote:
                    > On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 4:42 PM, jhaynesatalumni<jhhaynes@...> wrote:
                    >
                    >> I just removed xorg.conf, since X11 doesn't seem to need one anymore,
                    >> and now the CPU loading is quite modest. So guess there was something
                    >> funny in the xorg.conf that was in use.
                    >>
                    > I noticed the same thing on my Ubuntu 9.04 box. So I also removed
                    > the xorg.conf and my CPU loading went down too!
                    >
                    > This really bothers me as I don't see anything in the xorg.conf
                    > file that I think could cause it. Here's the non-comment contents of
                    > the file. As you can see, this looks pretty harmless to me.
                    >
                    > Section "Device"
                    > Identifier "Configured Video Device"
                    > EndSection
                    >
                    > Section "Monitor"
                    > Identifier "Configured Monitor"
                    > EndSection
                    >
                    > Section "Screen"
                    > Identifier "Default Screen"
                    > Monitor "Configured Monitor"
                    > Device "Configured Video Device"
                    > EndSection
                    >
                    >
                    > 73,
                    > Harry Bloomberg W3YJ
                    > hbloomb@...


                    If xorg.conf is no longer being used, then what/where is the replacement

                    My xorg.conf is not empty, Ubuntu 9.04



                    > Section "Screen"
                    > Identifier "Default Screen"
                    > Monitor "Configured Monitor"
                    > Device "Configured Video Device"
                    > DefaultDepth 24
                    > Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"
                    > EndSection
                    >
                    > Section "Module"
                    > Load "glx"
                    > EndSection
                    >
                    > Section "Device"
                    > Identifier "Configured Video Device"
                    > Driver "nvidia"
                    > Option "NoLogo" "True"
                    > EndSection



                    Ed W3NR
                  • pa3gwh
                    Perhaps this has nothing to do with it, but haven t we seen this before when using specific fonts? Richard
                    Message 9 of 16 , Sep 4, 2009
                    • 0 Attachment
                      Perhaps this has nothing to do with it, but
                      haven't we seen this before when using specific fonts?

                      Richard

                      >
                      > I'm seeing this on the Ubuntu 9.04 system at W5YM, which has
                      > a 2.5 GHz Pentium 4. Running fldigi the CPU load goes very high,
                      > almost maxed out. I've tried various combinations of rig control,
                      > makes no difference. Checked that the fonts are fixed pitch.
                      >
                      > I notice when I open another window in front of fldigi, such as the
                      > configuration window or a terminal window, the CPU load drops so
                      > long as the main fldigi window is partially covered, goes back
                      > high as soon as I bring fldigi into the foreground.
                      >
                      > One of the guys who should know says this cpu loading is not
                      > happening under Windows, only under Linux. And I am not seeing it
                      > at home where I'm running Fedora 11.
                      >
                      > Any clues what I should be looking for?
                      >
                      > Jim W6JVE
                      >
                    • Larry Levesque
                      I have seen this happen before with compiz enabled. Try diabling it.
                      Message 10 of 16 , Sep 4, 2009
                      • 0 Attachment
                        I have seen this happen before with compiz enabled. Try diabling it.
                        On Fri, Sep 04, 2009 at 11:45:01AM -0000, pa3gwh wrote:
                        >
                        > Perhaps this has nothing to do with it, but
                        > haven't we seen this before when using specific fonts?
                        >
                        > Richard
                        >
                        > >
                        > > I'm seeing this on the Ubuntu 9.04 system at W5YM, which has
                        > > a 2.5 GHz Pentium 4. Running fldigi the CPU load goes very high,
                        > > almost maxed out. I've tried various combinations of rig control,
                        > > makes no difference. Checked that the fonts are fixed pitch.
                        > >
                        > > I notice when I open another window in front of fldigi, such as the
                        > > configuration window or a terminal window, the CPU load drops so
                        > > long as the main fldigi window is partially covered, goes back
                        > > high as soon as I bring fldigi into the foreground.
                        > >
                        > > One of the guys who should know says this cpu loading is not
                        > > happening under Windows, only under Linux. And I am not seeing it
                        > > at home where I'm running Fedora 11.
                        > >
                        > > Any clues what I should be looking for?
                        > >
                        > > Jim W6JVE
                        > >
                        >
                        >
                      • Ed
                        ... I think you both are on the right track. I disable compiz right off the bat. Its annoying as the devil. Ed W3NR
                        Message 11 of 16 , Sep 4, 2009
                        • 0 Attachment
                          Larry Levesque wrote:
                          > I have seen this happen before with compiz enabled. Try diabling it.
                          > On Fri, Sep 04, 2009 at 11:45:01AM -0000, pa3gwh wrote:
                          >> Perhaps this has nothing to do with it, but
                          >> haven't we seen this before when using specific fonts?
                          >>
                          >> Richard

                          I think you both are on the right track. I disable compiz right off the
                          bat. Its annoying as the devil.

                          Ed W3NR
                        • jhaynesatalumni
                          I don t pretend to understand things anymore, but apparently with monitors telling the computer what their characteristics are, and with standardization of
                          Message 12 of 16 , Sep 4, 2009
                          • 0 Attachment
                            I don't pretend to understand things anymore, but apparently
                            with monitors telling the computer what their characteristics
                            are, and with standardization of things, X11 now has everything
                            it needs, such as modelines, compiled in. So you only need
                            the xorg.conf if you need to override something

                            The talk about fonts has to do with proportional-spaced fonts.
                            They cause a lot of CPU consumption. If you choose fixed-width
                            fonts you don't have that problem.

                            I don't know what compiz is, and apparently it is not installed
                            on my home machine. I'll have to check on the Ubuntu machine
                            at W5YM that was having the problem. Where do you go to
                            disable it?

                            Jim W6JVE
                          • Larry Levesque
                            ... Compiz is a graphical manager for the desktop. It add the desktop cube and fancy effects. Go to the System - Preference - Appearance menu item or just
                            Message 13 of 16 , Sep 4, 2009
                            • 0 Attachment
                              On Fri, Sep 04, 2009 at 04:14:30PM -0000, jhaynesatalumni wrote:
                              > I don't pretend to understand things anymore, but apparently
                              > with monitors telling the computer what their characteristics
                              > are, and with standardization of things, X11 now has everything
                              > it needs, such as modelines, compiled in. So you only need
                              > the xorg.conf if you need to override something
                              >
                              > The talk about fonts has to do with proportional-spaced fonts.
                              > They cause a lot of CPU consumption. If you choose fixed-width
                              > fonts you don't have that problem.
                              >
                              > I don't know what compiz is, and apparently it is not installed
                              > on my home machine. I'll have to check on the Ubuntu machine
                              > at W5YM that was having the problem. Where do you go to
                              > disable it?
                              >
                              > Jim W6JVE
                              >


                              Compiz is a graphical manager for the desktop. It add the desktop cube and fancy effects.

                              Go to the "System - Preference - Appearance" menu item or just right click on the empty desktop.
                              Choose the Visual Effects tab and choose None.

                              KA1VGM
                            • w1hkj
                              ... I recently installed Ubuntu 9.04 on two smaller computers, a Notebook and a Netbook. The default desktop installation is to preset the Visual Effects at
                              Message 14 of 16 , Sep 4, 2009
                              • 0 Attachment
                                Larry Levesque wrote:
                                > Compiz is a graphical manager for the desktop. It add the desktop cube and fancy effects.
                                >
                                > Go to the "System - Preference - Appearance" menu item or just right click on the empty desktop.
                                > Choose the Visual Effects tab and choose None.
                                >
                                > KA1VGM
                                >
                                >
                                I recently installed Ubuntu 9.04 on two smaller computers, a Notebook
                                and a Netbook. The default desktop installation is to preset the Visual
                                Effects at moderate. The first thing I do is open that tab and select
                                None. I can only be mesmerized by sliding, flipping, dissolving windows
                                for about 2 seconds and then it is in my face.

                                Dave
                              • jhaynesatalumni
                                ... OK, on my home system there is no visual effects tab, so I guess that confirms I don t have compiz installed.
                                Message 15 of 16 , Sep 4, 2009
                                • 0 Attachment
                                  --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, w1hkj <w1hkj@...> wrote:
                                  >
                                  > Larry Levesque wrote:
                                  > > Compiz is a graphical manager for the desktop. It add the desktop cube and fancy effects.
                                  > >
                                  > > Go to the "System - Preference - Appearance" menu item or just right click on the empty desktop.
                                  > > Choose the Visual Effects tab and choose None.
                                  > >
                                  > > KA1VGM
                                  OK, on my home system there is no visual effects tab, so I guess
                                  that confirms I don't have compiz installed.
                                • Nate Bargmann
                                  ... There isn t one. The X server determines everything at run time. It s also why later Xorg packages depend on the hal package much to the consternation of
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Sep 4, 2009
                                  • 0 Attachment
                                    * Ed <autek@...> [2009 Sep 04 04:59 -0500]:

                                    > If xorg.conf is no longer being used, then what/where is the replacement

                                    There isn't one. The X server determines everything at run time. It's
                                    also why later Xorg packages depend on the hal package much to the
                                    consternation of some users.

                                    73, de Nate >>

                                    --

                                    "The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all
                                    possible worlds. The pessimist fears this is true."

                                    Ham radio, Linux, bikes, and more: http://n0nb.us/index.html
                                  Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.