Re: [linuxham] Fldigi-3.12.4 and the new Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard

  • Brian Lloyd
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 1, 2009
      On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 11:01 PM, Dick Kriss<aa5vu@...> wrote:
      >> Why would anyone even consider upgrading before the first round of
      >> patches come out? Yes, Apple's software is much more reliable than
      >> Microsoft's but that doesn't mean that they are so good that you can
      >> just drop their latest major release on your machine and not get
      >> burned.
      >>
      >> I just received Snow Leopard as part of our support contract. The
      >> disks got filed, not installed. I'm not crazy.
      >
      > I have been on vacation and just wondered if any of the Mac fldigi
      > users have upgraded to 10.6. Somebody has to be first and I
      > may be that person later this week.

      Why?

      > I am trying to update my applications that I know have new
      > versions for 10.6. Several were posted today and I expect
      > others to show up over the next few days. Fldigi's compatibility
      > with 10.6 is still unknown?

      This is something that I just do not understand. Operating systems
      actually perform a relatively simple function. With *very* *few*
      exceptions most operating system "upgrades" are a step backwards in
      terms of performance, reliability, and security. There just isn't all
      that much you can add to task scheduling, interprocess communications,
      memory management, and the networking stack that justifies continued
      upgrades. So the "upgrades" really are the addition of
      questionably-useful "features" that do not increase the functionality
      at all, just the appearance.

      So the real question is -- what is in MacOS 10.6 that you need in
      order to make your applications run properly? If the answer is,
      "nothing," the the right answer is not to upgrade, at least not right
      now. Eventually you will be forced to upgrade because Apple will stop
      supporting 10.5. By then the most egregious of the bugs will have been
      discovered and patches/upgrades issued.

      BTW, this holds true for Windows and Linux also. Microsoft had a
      relatively stable and reliable OS with Windows 2000. NT was a good
      idea and field-testing showed up its shortcomings. Win2K was the
      results. Since then every release has been a significant step downward
      in stability, performance, and reliability. In terms of actually
      running applications, nothing really new has come with subsequent
      releases either. The only reason we aren't still running Win2K
      (actually, I am on some systems) is that Microsoft provides no support
      for it. We are forced to run at least WinXP.

      Linux is a bit better since the developers actually have to eat their
      own dog food. Still, it grows in complexity which implies that there
      are more places for unrealized exploits to lurk.

      Nope, upgrading an OS is *not* something to be done lightly and is
      definitely *not* something to be done at the first release. Period.
      End-of-report.

      --
      73 de Brian, WB6RQN/J79BPL
    • ke7adu
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 1, 2009
        Someone has to live on the edge <Grin>.

        I upgraded Friday afternoon and have had no issues so far. Fldigi works with no issues so far. I had 281 GB free space before my in place upgrade (another IT no no), 311 after. Not bad. The Battery Meter showed less life for a few days. I am thinking that is due the HD being re-indexed and the battery meter recalibrating.

        I am IS Manager of a Windows network with a few Linux boxes, I would never upgrade any production box this early in the release cycle but my Mac is for fun(and for me to learn OS X). I even have Win 7 loaded on my BootCamp partition. As long as your not risk averse, Enjoy.

        Anthony - KE7ADU

        --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, Brian Lloyd <brian-wb6rqn@...> wrote:

        > On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 7:12 PM, Dick Kriss<aa5vu@...> wrote:
        > >

        > > I have been on vacation and have not upgraded to the
        > > new Apple 10.6 Snow Leopard. Sure would appreciate
        > > some feedback from Mac fldigi users that have upgraded
        > > to OS X 10.6?
        >
        > Why would anyone even consider upgrading before the first round of
        > patches come out? Yes, Apple's software is much more reliable than
        > Microsoft's but that doesn't mean that they are so good that you can
        > just drop their latest major release on your machine and not get
        > burned.
        >
        > I just received Snow Leopard as part of our support contract. The
        > disks got filed, not installed. I'm not crazy.
        >
        > --
        > 73 de Brian, WB6RQN/J79BPL

      • Dick Kriss
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 2, 2009
          On Tuesday9/1/09 10:53 PM, "ke7adu" <ke7adu@...> wrote:

          > Someone has to live on the edge <Grin>.
          >
          > I upgraded Friday afternoon and have had no issues so far. Fldigi works with
          > no issues so far.
          >
          > Anthony - KE7ADU

          Anthony KE7ADU,

          Thanks for the good news report! My only concern and reason for the foot
          dragging on the 10.5.8 to 10.6.0 is over the driver in my old Keyspan
          serial to USB adapter used for Hamlib rig control.

          Thanks again for the feedback

          Dick aa5vu
        • Brian Lloyd
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 2, 2009
            On Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 8:53 PM, ke7adu<ke7adu@...> wrote:

            > Someone has to live on the edge <Grin>.

            And someone has to be the resident curmudgeon. :-)

            > I upgraded Friday afternoon and have had no issues so far. Fldigi works with
            > no issues so far. I had 281 GB free space before my in place upgrade
            > (another IT no no), 311 after. Not bad. The Battery Meter showed less life
            > for a few days. I am thinking that is due the HD being re-indexed and the
            > battery meter recalibrating.

            I did some research. Seems that the primary reason for releasing Snow
            Leopard is the abandonment of legacy Mac OS "Classic" support. (Oh,
            and Apple trying to upstage the release of Windows V7 -- how stupid.)
            That causes a whole BUNCH of printer drivers to go away, probably a
            source of recovered disk space. Getting rid of code is very likely to
            be a Good Thing. (Code not present and code not running cannot be used
            to cause anomalous behavior.)

            > I am IS Manager of a Windows network with a few Linux boxes, I would never
            > upgrade any production box this early in the release cycle but my Mac is for
            > fun(and for me to learn OS X). I even have Win 7 loaded on my BootCamp
            > partition. As long as your not risk averse, Enjoy.

            OK. Let us know how you make out. Personally, I am going to wait for a
            bit. I have avoided Vista so far and plan to avoid any Windows upgrade
            at least until Win7 has SP1 *AND* the first patches for SP1. (I have
            to run Windows to run my Flex 5000.)

            --
            73 de Brian, WB6RQN/J79BPL