Re: [linuxham] fldigi/Icom756 ptt issue

    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 5, 2009
      Doug Maukonen wrote:
      > Hi,
      > I am working with an old model IC-756 (non-pro) and fldigi.
      > The software configuration is: ubuntu 9.04 and fldigi 3.12.3.
      > The CIV interface is custom made and uses a transistor on the RTS line for PTT; power to the CIV is supplied through DTR.
      >
      > The problem is that I can't seem to make PTT work on the same serial interface as the PTT. I have tried multiple configurations of RTS and DTR in the event there was some interaction, and other than hanging the interface, no joy. I believe it should work as I can toggle +12 to RTS via the configuration menu for hardware PTT to switch transmit on and off.
      >
      > I Have added a serial cable to split out PTT to a separate serial interface and configured the program for separate serial PTT; this works as expected. As an aside, I also tried breaking out the PTT circuit using the parallel port and pins 25/16, but this resulted in steady state transmit, so abandoned this approach (since the goal is to simplify the configuration); this might have to do with the bios configuration for the parallel interface.
      >
      > I've searched this group and the fldigi website for assistance to see if there is some reason CIV and PTT could not share the same serial interface, but came up dry.
      >
      > Note that the cable fabricated does work with HRD without modification or adding cables in Windoze, but the club (which owns the rig) would prefer to standardize on fldigi due to its multi-platform support (during Field Day, we used the program on 3 different laptops running Windoze, Linux, and Mac).
      >
      > The system can dual boot to Windoze if needed for debugging, and I can provide additional debugging information if needed under linux; just let me know what you need. This problem was present on at least one earlier version of fldigi (hence the workaround cable for Field Day).
      >
      > Thanks to the authors for this fine program!
      > Doug. k4ddm

      Hello Doug,

      Nice to hear that fldigi was used on so many platforms for your field day.

      I just tested the combined use of h/w PTT and CAT on the same serial
      port. Best I could do was to test the DTR as the rig uses RTS/CTS flow
      control.
      The tests were performed on Vista, but should work the same on Linux.

      RigCAT

      Use RigCAT - ON
      FT-450.xml
      COM-5
      Retries 5
      Retry Interval 50
      Write-delay 20
      Baud rate 38400
      Commands are echoe - OFF
      CAT command for PTT - OFF
      Toggle RTS for PTT - OFF
      Toggle DTR for PTT - ON
      RTS +12 v - OFF
      DTR +12 v - OFF
      RTS/CTS flow control - ON

      Always press the Initialize button after making changes.

      Monitored with a serial port breakout box that has red and green LEDs to
      show the status of the various lines.

      DTR is low until T/R is enabled and then goes high.

      If I select DTR +12 v - ON then DTR is high until T/R is enabled and
      then goes low.

      If you continue to have problems you might want to write to me direct at
      w1hkj@....

      73, Dave, W1HKJ
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 5, 2009
        Doug Maukonen wrote:
        > Hi,
        > I am working with an old model IC-756 (non-pro) and fldigi.
        > The software configuration is: ubuntu 9.04 and fldigi 3.12.3.
        > The CIV interface is custom made and uses a transistor on the RTS line for PTT; power to the CIV is supplied through DTR.
        >
        > The problem is that I can't seem to make PTT work on the same serial interface as the PTT. I have tried multiple configurations of RTS and DTR in the event there was some interaction, and other than hanging the interface, no joy. I believe it should work as I can toggle +12 to RTS via the configuration menu for hardware PTT to switch transmit on and off.
        >
        > I Have added a serial cable to split out PTT to a separate serial interface and configured the program for separate serial PTT; this works as expected. As an aside, I also tried breaking out the PTT circuit using the parallel port and pins 25/16, but this resulted in steady state transmit, so abandoned this approach (since the goal is to simplify the configuration); this might have to do with the bios configuration for the parallel interface.
        >
        > I've searched this group and the fldigi website for assistance to see if there is some reason CIV and PTT could not share the same serial interface, but came up dry.
        >
        > Note that the cable fabricated does work with HRD without modification or adding cables in Windoze, but the club (which owns the rig) would prefer to standardize on fldigi due to its multi-platform support (during Field Day, we used the program on 3 different laptops running Windoze, Linux, and Mac).
        >
        > The system can dual boot to Windoze if needed for debugging, and I can provide additional debugging information if needed under linux; just let me know what you need. This problem was present on at least one earlier version of fldigi (hence the workaround cable for Field Day).
        >
        > Thanks to the authors for this fine program!
        > Doug. k4ddm

        You did check the CAT command for PTT if you are using the xml ?

        I'm assuming you did as it doesn't look as though you have missed anything.

        I'm using the same basic interface as you are, but I don't need the
        seperate keying circuit. My PTT is handled via the CAT command. Although
        I have an Omni6 it uses the Icom backend code for rig control.

        Ed W3NR
      • Doug Maukonen
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 6, 2009

          > You did check the CAT command for PTT if you are using the xml ?
          >
          > I'm assuming you did as it doesn't look as though you have missed anything.
          >
          > I'm using the same basic interface as you are, but I don't need the
          > seperate keying circuit. My PTT is handled via the CAT command. Although
          > I have an Omni6 it uses the Icom backend code for rig control.
          >

          > Ed W3NR

          Ed,
          We did look at CAT PTT (and for grins try; this is what we use for the Yaesu rigs)), but could not find the command in the reference for the 756 (page 20 of the instruction manual, commands start at "05" and go only to "12"); the PTT CAT command does not show up until the later 756 pro line as command "1C" (the last command in the list for the 756 pro - "01-1C").

          Thanks for the input. I have a few more things to look at and will report findings here later in the week.
          Doug. k4ddm
        • Doug Maukonen
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 8, 2009
            This is a follow up on the RTS/PTT issue with the IC-756 using fldigi/hamlib on both Linux and Windoze.

            Troubleshooting verified this was not likely an issue with the PC serial interface.

            The workaround is to switch the function of DTR and RTS on the rig interface, with DTR providing the PTT function and RTS providing power. For RTS I had to set +V (and +12) on both the rig control hamlib and hardware PTT menus.

            Doug k4ddm.