Re: [linuxham] More on Population of Hamlib "Device" Selector Options

    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 2, 2009
      Dick Kriss wrote:
      > I only have one serial device and it is a Keyspan USA28X with
      > two ports. I only used port #1 for rig control and port #2 is
      > not used. .....
      >
      > Maybe that was the problem but why was the Hamlib device
      > selector not working. The reason I got the IO failure was
      > the selector was not populated. This is a little confusing

      Both hamlib and RigCAT device selector combo boxes are populated by the
      same routine that tests for the existence and the availability of the
      serial devices. It will only show up if (1) it is found and (2) it is
      not being used by another process (ie: a possible Zombie).

      BTW rebooting the computer will always kill any zombie processes.

      Dave
    • Dick Kriss
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 2, 2009
        Re: [linuxham] More on Population of Hamlib "Device" Selector Options On Sunday8/2/09 2:37 PM, "Dave Freese W1HKJ" <w1hkj@...> wrote:

        Dick Kriss wrote:
        > I only have one serial device and it is a Keyspan USA28X with
        > two ports. I only used port #1 for rig control and port #2 is
        > not used.  .....
        >
        > Maybe that was the problem but why was the Hamlib device
        > selector not working.  The reason I got the IO failure was
        > the selector was not populated.  This is a little confusing

        Both hamlib and RigCAT device selector combo boxes are populated by the
        same routine that tests for the existence and the availability of the
        serial devices.  It will only show up if (1) it is found and (2) it is
        not being used by another process (ie: a possible Zombie).

        BTW rebooting the computer will always kill any zombie processes.

        Dave

        Good tip!   The next time it happens I will restart the Mac and see if
        that clears the problem.  Like the old bumper sticker says ...it happens!
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 2, 2009
          Just install Linux and be done with it.

          http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu

          Just my thoughts.