Re: [linuxham] fldigi makes Macbook fan run full time

  • Dick Kriss
    Message 1 of 20 , Aug 2, 2009
      On Sunday8/2/09 1:15 PM, "ke7adu" <ke7adu@...> wrote:

      > Anyone else with this issue? Anyone have suggestions as to how to temper the
      > CPU use when I am operating off battery?
      >
      > My equipment:
      > Computer: Macbook Aluminum 2.0 GHz, 4 GB RAM
      > Interface: SignaLink USB
      > OS X ver: 10.5.7
      > Radio: FT-897D
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Anthony - KE7AUD

      Anthony,

      Go to your Applications/Utilities folder and open the Activity Monitor
      and you will be able to monitor and view CPU usage.

      You may want to monitor and check to see what feature in fldigi is
      causing the causing the fans to run.

      See what it is doing then go to fldigi's Configuration UI/Misc/CPU
      and check the option for slow CPU and see if that help.

      You many also want to download and install iStat Pro widget
      that will show you what's hot in your Mac Book Pro. The Process
      section will show you the who's using the CPU in real time. Very
      cool free utility. Try it at....

      <http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/20364/istat-pro>

      iStat Pro is the ultimate System monitoring widget, consisting
      of 9 sections which can be minimized, expanded or closed. It
      features detailed information on CPU, memory, hard drives,
      IP and external IP, bandwidth, CPU temperature, battery,
      uptime, temperatures and fans. You'll know exactly what's
      going on inside your Mac!

      I have never had fldigi cause the fans to increase in this Intel iMac
      and I only have 3GB of RAM.

      Maybe some MacBook Pro owners will speak up.

      Dick AA5VU
    • Brian Lloyd
      Message 2 of 20 , Aug 2, 2009
        On Sun, Aug 2, 2009 at 11:52 AM, Dick Kriss<aa5vu@...> wrote:
        > iStat Pro is the ultimate System monitoring widget, consisting
        > of 9 sections which can be minimized, expanded or closed. It
        > features detailed information on CPU, memory, hard drives,
        > IP and external IP, bandwidth, CPU temperature, battery,
        > uptime, temperatures and fans. You'll know exactly what's
        > going on inside your Mac!
        >
        > I have never had fldigi cause the fans to increase in this Intel iMac
        > and I only have 3GB of RAM.
        >
        > Maybe some MacBook Pro owners will speak up.

        I run Fldigi on a MacBook Pro (Intel) and the additional CPU usage
        does cause the fan to come on and temps to go up. I have stopped using
        CocoaModem because it does not support either Olivia or DominoEX so I
        can't comment on the relative efficiencies of the two programs. The
        same occurs when I reboot into WinXP in order to run PowerSDR. In the
        latter case my CPU utilization averages 25%.

        If anyone is really interested I will collect the data but the
        anecdotal result is, the computer does run a lot hotter with fldigi
        running.

        --
        73 de Brian, WB6RQN/J79BPL
        Message 3 of 20 , Aug 2, 2009
          Brian Lloyd wrote:
[...]

          You might be able to reduce cpu usage by judicious selection of the sound card interpolator.  The "Fast Interpolator" might provide more than adequate sample rate conversion at a much reduced cpu load.

          Dave
        • Brian Lloyd
          Message 4 of 20 , Aug 2, 2009
            On Sun, Aug 2, 2009 at 1:07 PM, w1hkj<w1hkj@...> wrote:
            > You might be able to reduce cpu usage by judicious selection of the sound
            > card interpolator.  The "Fast Interpolator" might provide more than adequate
            > sample rate conversion at a much reduced cpu load.

            And if I didn't have to do sample-rate conversion, I wouldn't have to
            use the interpolator at all. What is the internal sample rate that you
            use in the software? I know that when I am using PowerSDR I can
            specifiy the sample rate on the audio channel going to/from fldigi. If
            I use the native rate used by fldigi then fldigi won't have to do any
            rate conversion. PowerSDR will already have done that. (In fact, I
            suspect that both PowerSDR and fldigi are already doing sample rate
            conversion on the same stream.) By default PowerSDR uses a sample rate
            of 48KHz but I believe it can generate any of the standards that are
            integer divisors of 44.1KHz and 48KHz, e.g. 8KHz, 11.025KHz, 12KHz,
            22.05KHz, 24KHz, etc.

            --
            73 de Brian, WB6RQN/J79BPL
            Message 5 of 20 , Aug 2, 2009
              Brian Lloyd wrote:
[...]

              8000 and 11025 depending on mode.  refer to the source code for each individual encoder / decoder.

              Dave
            • Brian Lloyd
              Message 6 of 20 , Aug 2, 2009
                On Sun, Aug 2, 2009 at 2:11 PM, w1hkj<w1hkj@...> wrote:

                > 8000 and 11025 depending on mode.  refer to the source code for each
                > individual encoder / decoder.

                Hmm, then clearly it makes no sense to send the bit stream at 48KHz.
                Why the difference? It seems to me that it would be simpler to make
                all the codecs run at the same sample rate.

                Is the code smart enough to know when sample-rate conversion is not
                needed, i.e. that the actual sample rate and the desired sample rate
                are the same?

                --
                73 de Brian, WB6RQN/J79BPL
              • Stelios Bounanos
                Message 7 of 20 , Aug 2, 2009

                  > On Sun, Aug 2, 2009 at 1:07 PM, w1hkj<w1hkj@...> wrote:
                  >> You might be able to reduce cpu usage by judicious selection of the sound
                  >> card interpolator.  The "Fast Interpolator" might provide more than adequate
                  >> sample rate conversion at a much reduced cpu load.

                  > And if I didn't have to do sample-rate conversion, I wouldn't have to
                  > use the interpolator at all.

                  You can set the capture & playback sample rates to "Auto", and then
                  fldigi will always try to open the audio device at the modem's sample
                  rate (8000 or 11025 Hz). Of course, if your audio device does not
                  support these rates there will still be resampling, but this time it
                  will be done by CoreAudio. On OS X, IIRC, PortAudio sets things up so
                  that any such resampling is done at the maximum available quality,
                  probably equivalent to libsamplerate's Medium or Best Sinc.

                  BTW there is an interesting resampler comparison here:

                  http://src.infinitewave.ca/

                  Stelios, M0GLD.
                • Stelios Bounanos
                  Message 8 of 20 , Aug 2, 2009

                    > On Sun, Aug 2, 2009 at 2:11 PM, w1hkj<w1hkj@...> wrote:
                    >> 8000 and 11025 depending on mode.  refer to the source code for each
                    >> individual encoder / decoder.

                    > Hmm, then clearly it makes no sense to send the bit stream at 48KHz.
                    > Why the difference? It seems to me that it would be simpler to make
                    > all the codecs run at the same sample rate.

                    > Is the code smart enough to know when sample-rate conversion is not
                    > needed, i.e. that the actual sample rate and the desired sample rate
                    > are the same?

                    This is what the "Auto" sample rate does, with a fall-back to "Native"
                    if the modem's rate is not supported by the sound card. Auto used to be
                    the default option but we had to change it to Native because some
                    systems claim to support every standard sample rate... using really
                    crappy linear interpolation.

                    Stelios, M0GLD.
                  • Brian Lloyd
                    Message 9 of 20 , Aug 2, 2009

                      --
                      73 de Brian, WB6RQN/J79BPL
                    • Brian Lloyd
                      Message 10 of 20 , Aug 2, 2009
                        On Sun, Aug 2, 2009 at 2:36 PM, Stelios Bounanos<lham@...> wrote:
                        >> Is the code smart enough to know when sample-rate conversion is not
                        >> needed, i.e. that the actual sample rate and the desired sample rate
                        >> are the same?
                        >
                        > This is what the "Auto" sample rate does, with a fall-back to "Native"
                        > if the modem's rate is not supported by the sound card. Auto used to be
                        > the default option but we had to change it to Native because some
                        > systems claim to support every standard sample rate... using really
                        > crappy linear interpolation.

                        Sounds like the goal is really to make sure fldigi doesn't have to resample.

                        --
                        73 de Brian, WB6RQN/J79BPL
                      • Brian Lloyd
                        Message 11 of 20 , Aug 2, 2009
                          On Sun, Aug 2, 2009 at 2:32 PM, Stelios Bounanos<lham@...> wrote:
                          >> And if I didn't have to do sample-rate conversion, I wouldn't have to
                          >> use the interpolator at all.
                          >
                          > You can set the capture & playback sample rates to "Auto", and then
                          > fldigi will always try to open the audio device at the modem's sample
                          > rate (8000 or 11025 Hz). Of course, if your audio device does not
                          > support these rates there will still be resampling, but this time it
                          > will be done by CoreAudio.

                          Well the goal is to avoid resampling in fldigi. That implies to me
                          that I need to make the source match fldigi rather than the other way
                          around.

                          I could go dig through the source code for fldigi to find the native
                          sample rates for the various modems. But given that I have never
                          looked at the source code, it would probably take awhile to figure out
                          where to look. I don't like asking people to do things for me but
                          given as you or Dave could probably tell me off the top of your heads
                          where to look (or cut an paste the relevant section of the constant
                          declarations) I am going to ask.

                          > On OS X, IIRC, PortAudio sets things up so
                          > that any such resampling is done at the maximum available quality,
                          > probably equivalent to libsamplerate's Medium or Best Sinc.
                          >
                          > BTW there is an interesting resampler comparison here:
                          >
                          > http://src.infinitewave.ca/

                          Interesting, to say the least. All resamplers are not created equal,
                          eh? I was heartened to see that the resampler in Apple's Coreaudio is
                          pretty darned good. How is resampling done in auto on Windows systems?

                          --
                          73 de Brian, WB6RQN/J79BPL
                          Message 12 of 20 , Aug 2, 2009
                            Brian Lloyd wrote:
[...]

                            As Stelios pointed out in a separate response that really is not necessary Brian.  Use the "auto" and if your sound driver supports the request the modem native sample rate will be used.

                            For those systems that do not support such a response and lie about their capability (mostly MS systems) the resampling code in fldigi is far superior to what most outboard drivers provide.  It is then much better to operate the sound system in its sound card clock native mode.  That might be 44100, 48000, 96000, whatever.  The resamplers in fldigi are from the SecretRabbit site.  Take a look at the specs available on that web site.  Several types of resampling are provided so that fldigi can continue (even if degraded) on cpu starved systems.  fldigi measures you system performance on the initial start and selects the optimum resampler based on that measurement.

                            These are the sample rates you requested:

                            PSK (all baud rates)
                            8000
                            MFSK 4 / 8 / 16 / 31 / 32 / 64
                            8000
                            MFSK 11 / 22
                            11025
                            DOMINOEX 5 / 11 / 22
                            11025
                            DOMINOEX 4 / 8 / 16
                            8000
                            THOR 5 / 11 / 22
                            11025
                            DOMINOEX 4 / 8 / 16
                            8000
                            FELD
                            8000
                            MT63
                            8000
                            OLIVIA
                            8000
                            THROB

                          • Brian Lloyd
                            Message 13 of 20 , Aug 2, 2009
                              On Sun, Aug 2, 2009 at 6:02 PM, w1hkj<w1hkj@...> wrote:
                              > For those systems that do not support such a response and lie about their
                              > capability (mostly MS systems) the resampling code in fldigi is far superior
                              > to what most outboard drivers provide.  It is then much better to operate
                              > the sound system in its sound card clock native mode.  That might be 44100,
                              > 48000, 96000, whatever.

                              I guess I wasn't being clear. I am running PowerSDR, the processing
                              behind the Flex 5000. There is no sound card. The digital baseband
                              stream (or low IF if you prefer) is being fed to fldigi from PowerSDR
                              through VAC (Virtual Audio Cable). The "radio" (PowerSDR) provides a
                              digital stream. There is no A:D or D:A involved between PowerSDR and
                              fldigi. Also, PowerSDR has no "native" sample rate. PowerSDR is using
                              48KHz, 96KHz, or 192KHz depending on the sample rate I select for the
                              ADC in the front-end. PowerSDR then allows me to specify the sample
                              rate to send to the digital mode program via VAC. Therefore the
                              resampling takes place in PowerSDR. (And you have me wondering just
                              how good it is.)

                              Since I normally run the radio at 96KHz PowerSDR is going to resample
                              for me no matter what because 48KHz (the default value) is the highest
                              sample rate that VAC supports. Since I must resample anyway, by
                              telling PowerSDR to resample down to 8KHz or 11.025KHz I avoid the
                              need to have fldigi resample a second time.

                              > The resamplers in fldigi are from the SecretRabbit
                              > site.  Take a look at the specs available on that web site.  Several types
                              > of resampling are provided so that fldigi can continue (even if degraded) on
                              > cpu starved systems.  fldigi measures you system performance on the initial
                              > start and selects the optimum resampler based on that measurement.

                              I understand but since PowerSDR is resampling for me anyway (and
                              generating whatever artifacts it is going to generate :-) it seems to
                              me that resampling a second time in fldigi is not going to improve
                              things.

                              > These are the sample rates you requested:

                              Thank you. Perfect. I am going to experiment with having PowerSDR
                              resample down to either 8KHz or 11.025KHz to see if it improves
                              performance any. I will also see if it reduces CPU utilization.

                              Too bad there is no communication between the two programs as it seems
                              to me that the best solution is for them to cooperate to resample only
                              once and then to have the CODECs communicate the optimum sample rate
                              back to the source, i.e. PowerSDR. In the mean time, I can do it
                              manually. Knowing the native sample rates for the CODECs will let me
                              select the correct one at PowerSDR so that fldigi doesn't need to
                              resample.

                              --
                              73 de Brian, WB6RQN/J79BPL
                              Message 14 of 20 , Aug 3, 2009
                                Brian Lloyd wrote:

                                > Thank you. Perfect. I am going to experiment with having PowerSDR
                                > resample down to either 8KHz or 11.025KHz to see if it improves
                                > performance any. I will also see if it reduces CPU utilization.

                                I would be very interested in learning the results of your tests Brian.

                                Dave
                              • Brian Lloyd
                                Message 15 of 20 , Aug 3, 2009
                                  On Mon, Aug 3, 2009 at 3:19 AM, w1hkj<w1hkj@...> wrote:

                                  > Brian Lloyd wrote:
                                  >>
                                  >> Thank you. Perfect. I am going to experiment with having PowerSDR
                                  >> resample down to either 8KHz or 11.025KHz to see if it improves
                                  >> performance any. I will also see if it reduces CPU utilization.
                                  >
                                  > I would be very interested in learning the results of your tests Brian.

                                  Certainly. You are doing much more work on this than I. Anything I can
                                  do to make your work more effective I will.

                                  --
                                  73 de Brian, WB6RQN/J79BPL
                                • Dick Kriss
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Aug 3, 2009
                                    After reading the recent comments on sampling rates, I
                                    recalled a note from Dec 2008 where Chen W7AY changed
                                    the default sampling rate setting for his cocoaModem to
                                    16000 samples per second due to some technical issues
                                    between the Burr-Brown PCM2902 codec chipset and the
                                    Mac OS X Core Audio.

                                    The Burr-Brown chipset is used in sound cards such as as the
                                    microHAM digiKeyer, the Edirol UA-1X and the SignaLink USB.

                                    The topic is discussed in W7AY's "What has changed in v0.62" at

                                    <http://homepage.mac.com/chen/w7ay/cocoaModem/Whats%20New/index.html>

                                    The bottom line was W7AY recommend users avoid using 11025
                                    and 44100 samples per sec and he changed the default Rx in his
                                    cocoaModem to 16000 samples per sec.

                                    At the time I really did not understand the technical issue but
                                    changing to his recommend 16000 samples per second for Rx
                                    helped cocoaModem decoding.

                                    When I changed from cocoaModem to fldigi, I set the
                                    Sound Card/Audio/Settings to Capture at 16000 samples/sec
                                    (vs. the native 32000) and I left Playback at the native 32000
                                    samples/sec. I did not understand the "Converter" so set it
                                    to Medium.

                                    To see what would happen I just changed my fldigi Capture
                                    setting back to the native 32000 samples per second and
                                    fldigi seems to work fine. Maybe Apple has changed the OS X
                                    Core Audio since W7AY's note that was posted in Dec 2008.

                                    I wonder what Capture/Converter settings other fldigi Mac OS X
                                    and SignaLink US/users are using?

                                    73 Dick AA5VU
                                  • ke7adu
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Aug 3, 2009
                                      OK,

                                      I have been playing around with the Sample Rate and Converter settings. My install was set to Native I set to Auto did not notice any change in CPU use. Changing the Converter settings from Medium Sync to Linear drops CPU use by a few percent.

                                      CocoaModem runs about 6% CPU use while fldigi runs between 16% and 25% CPU. However, the Cocoa Modem table view is only decoding two to three signals while fldigi is decoding six to eight signals in the PSK Browser so I can see why it would use more CPU.

                                      Anthony - KE7ADU

                                      Message 18 of 20 , Aug 3, 2009
                                        ke7adu wrote:
                                        > OK,
                                        >
                                        > I have been playing around with the Sample Rate and Converter settings. My install was set to Native I set to Auto did not notice any change in CPU use. Changing the Converter settings from Medium Sync to Linear drops CPU use by a few percent.
                                        >
                                        > CocoaModem runs about 6% CPU use while fldigi runs between 16% and 25% CPU. However, the Cocoa Modem table view is only decoding two to three signals while fldigi is decoding six to eight signals in the PSK Browser so I can see why it would use more CPU.

                                        BINGO ! If you were decoding 20 the cpu usage might be more yet. cpu
                                        usage will also be a function of the modem and baud rate that is being used.

                                        Don't recommend Linear ... your OS X box should be more that fast enough
                                        to support the Medium or Fast Sync converter.

                                        Dave
                                      • Brian Lloyd
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Aug 4, 2009
                                          On Mon, Aug 3, 2009 at 3:19 AM, w1hkj<w1hkj@...> wrote:

                                          > Brian Lloyd wrote:
                                          >>
                                          >> Thank you. Perfect. I am going to experiment with having PowerSDR
                                          >> resample down to either 8KHz or 11.025KHz to see if it improves
                                          >> performance any. I will also see if it reduces CPU utilization.
                                          >
                                          > I would be very interested in learning the results of your tests Brian.

                                          I ran some tests last night, qualitative rather than quantitative,
                                          i.e. the results were subjective rather than objective -- no
                                          measurements. Before I get into it I thought I would explain my setup
                                          just so everyone understands why what I am doing is a bit different.

                                          I am running a Flex 5000a software-defined radio. Unlike most
                                          digital-mode setups there is no sound-card involved since the radio
                                          software provides data to fldigi in digital form. No analog to digital
                                          or digital to analog conversion before fldigi. Most rigs have the
                                          following signal processing chain:

                                          antenna>1st mixer>roofing filter>2nd
                                          mixer>A:D>DSP>D:A>cables>A:D(soundcard)>fldigi

                                          In my setup I have the following signal processing chain:

                                          antenna>1st mixer>A:D>DSP>fldigi

                                          As you can see it is much simpler and once the signal has been
                                          converted from analog to digital right after the mixer it is never
                                          converted back to analog. It is pure digital all the way through to
                                          the digital mode program. (Note, this works for any digital mode
                                          program including DM780, not just fldigi.) The potential is for much
                                          higher quality since intermediate conversions have been eliminated.
                                          Performance is not dependent on eliminating ground loops, eliminating
                                          RF pick-up, sound-card quality/sample rate/bit depth, etc.

                                          The "DSP" software really is the radio. It is called PowerSDR and
                                          implements all the functions for the Flex 5000. There are no controls
                                          on the radio hardware itself. Everything is handled by the software.
                                          The analog-to-digital conversion takes place in the RF hardware using
                                          a very high performance A:D converter with a bit-depth of 24 bits and
                                          a sample rate of 48KHz, 96KHz, or 192KHz. (I normally run at 96KHz.)
                                          Once the radio hardware has performed this conversion the signal is
                                          never converted back into analog form. It remains in digital form all
                                          the way through to the digital mode program. (I normally run fldigi or
                                          DM780.)

                                          (The only difference to this is the case of audio modes, e.g. CW or
                                          SSB where the signal is converted back to analog in order to drive the
                                          speaker and/or headphones.)

                                          As you recall from a couple of days ago, I was asking about native
                                          sample rates for the CODECs (COders/DECoders). The reason is, it
                                          seemed to me that it would be a waste to do sample rate conversion
                                          twice, once in PowerSDR and a second time in fldigi. By default
                                          PowerSDR provides its digital "audio" (I prefer the term "baseband" or
                                          "low IF" because it is not the final output signal -- that is the text
                                          on the screen) signal at a sample rate of 48000 Hz. Fldigi then does a
                                          second sample rate conversion to either 8000 Hz or 11025 Hz depending
                                          on the CODEC chosen by the operator. Since PowerSDR is already doing
                                          the sample rate conversion from 96 KHz to 48 KHz it seemed a waste to
                                          me to then have fldigi go through the sample rate conversion process
                                          yet again. It seemed better to just let PowerSDR do the sample rate
                                          conversion directly to 8000 Hz or 11025 Hz and eliminate a step.

                                          I spent some time last night monitoring PSK31 and Olivia signals
                                          letting PowerSDR perform the sample rate conversion to 8000 Hz.
                                          Subjectively I could discern no obvious improvement or degradation
                                          over the double-rate-conversion that was going on previously. What I
                                          did notice is that the waterfall was showing substantial aliasing
                                          products in the passband. It appears that PowerSDR is *NOT* doing
                                          sufficient anti-aliasing at the lower sample rate. Given that the Flex
                                          5000 can produce substantial power 48KHz from the LO injection
                                          frequency (at a 96KHz sample rate) it stands to reason that there
                                          needs to be a brick wall filter for all power above the Nyquist
                                          frequency at the intermediate rate of the CODEC, i.e. one half the
                                          sample rate or 4 KHz in the case of 8 KHz sampling. This does not
                                          appear to be the case.

                                          So, until the downsampling in PowerSDR gets improved anti-aliasing
                                          filtering, it seems to me that it is better to continue sending a 48
                                          KHz data stream to fldigi and allow fldigi to do the downsampling to
                                          the 8000 Hz or 11025 Hz sample rate expected by the CODECs.

                                          I guess I need to go bug the guys over at Flex now. ;-)

                                          --
                                          73 de Brian, WB6RQN/J79BPL