More on Population of Hamlib "Device" Selector Options

  • Dick Kriss
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 2, 2009
      Can someone tell me what statement or statements in
      the fldigi_def.xml and fldigi.prefs files deals with the
      populating the "Device" pull-down options in the Hamlib
      configuration pane?

      The reason for asking is when I started fldigi-3.12.2 this
      morning under OS X v10.5.7, I was presented with a
      fldigi Event log saying:

      E: show_error: hamlib_init: IO error

      Hamlib was not working so I went to the Hamlib Rig
      Control panel. The "Device" options were not populated
      and the selector did not function. This has happened
      before and I am not sure what causes the amnesia in
      reading what I understand may be a common file for
      device options that is shared by RigCAT and Hamlib.

      Reinstalling fldigi-3.12.2 did not correct the IO error.
      I managed to forced it to work by replacing my whole
      .fldigi folder with a backup folder. The backup works and
      I have tried comparing the data in the fldigi_def.xml file;
      however, I may be looking at the wrong statements.

      When this happened a few days ago, I guessed one of
      the OS X utilities may have trashed something. I have
      not run any utilities since Hamlib last worked. I am now
      grabbing at straws to find out what I am doing to hose
      the population of the Hamlib Device options.

      73 Dick AA5VU
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 2, 2009
        Dick Kriss wrote:
        > Can someone tell me what statement or statements in
        > the fldigi_def.xml and fldigi.prefs files deals with the
        > populating the "Device" pull-down options in the Hamlib
        > configuration pane?
        >
        > The reason for asking is when I started fldigi-3.12.2 this
        > morning under OS X v10.5.7, I was presented with a
        > fldigi Event log saying:
        >
        > E: show_error: hamlib_init: IO error
        >
        > Hamlib was not working so I went to the Hamlib Rig
        > Control panel. The "Device" options were not populated
        > and the selector did not function. This has happened
        > before and I am not sure what causes the amnesia in
        > reading what I understand may be a common file for
        > device options that is shared by RigCAT and Hamlib.
        >
        > Reinstalling fldigi-3.12.2 did not correct the IO error.
        > I managed to forced it to work by replacing my whole
        > .fldigi folder with a backup folder. The backup works and
        > I have tried comparing the data in the fldigi_def.xml file;
        > however, I may be looking at the wrong statements.
        >
        > When this happened a few days ago, I guessed one of
        > the OS X utilities may have trashed something. I have
        > not run any utilities since Hamlib last worked. I am now
        > grabbing at straws to find out what I am doing to hose
        > the population of the Hamlib Device options.
        >

        > 73 Dick AA5VU

        Look somewhere around line 140 ::

        <HAMRIGDEVICE>/dev/ttyS0</HAMRIGDEVICE>

        Not sure if that is of any use or not.

        Ed W3NR
      • Dick Kriss
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 2, 2009
          Re: [linuxham] More on Population of Hamlib "Device" Selector Options

          On Sunday8/2/09 11:51 AM, "Ed" <autek@...> wrote:

          Dick Kriss wrote:
          > Can someone tell me what statement or statements in
          > the fldigi_def.xml and fldigi.prefs files deals with the
          > populating the "Device" pull-down options in the Hamlib
          > configuration pane?

          > 73 Dick AA5VU

          Look somewhere around line 140 ::

          <HAMRIGDEVICE>/dev/ttyS0</HAMRIGDEVICE>

          Not sure if that is of any use or not.

          Ed W3NR

          Ed,

          Thanks.... mine reads

          HAMRIGDEVICE>/dev/cu.USA28X1a2P1.1</HAMRIGDEVICE>

          and that is correct; however, it only works if the Device selector is
          working and populated.  I have no idea why the selector is failing
          or what in my .fldigi folder could effect the population of the selector.

          All is well now. Will just watch it and see what happens.

          Dick

          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 2, 2009
            Dick Kriss wrote:
            > Can someone tell me what statement or statements in
            > the fldigi_def.xml and fldigi.prefs files deals with the
            > populating the "Device" pull-down options in the Hamlib
            > configuration pane?
            >
            > The reason for asking is when I started fldigi-3.12.2 this
            > morning under OS X v10.5.7, I was presented with a
            > fldigi Event log saying:
            >
            > E: show_error: hamlib_init: IO error
            >
            > Hamlib was not working so I went to the Hamlib Rig
            > Control panel. The "Device" options were not populated
            > and the selector did not function. This has happened
            > before and I am not sure what causes the amnesia in
            > reading what I understand may be a common file for
            > device options that is shared by RigCAT and Hamlib.

            There are NO common options shared by RigCAT and Hamlib Dick. The
            device options combo in both the RigCAT and Hamlib tabs are populated on
            program start. Building the device list is highly OS dependent and is
            different for Linux, Windows and OS X. How many serial devices do you
            have on your computer? If only one and it did not show up then the
            device was not available for fldigi use when you started the program.
            It might have been in use by another program or a background process.
            Can you test to see which devices are being used and by which running
            program? I'm not familiar enough with OS X to give you advice on a
            procedure. On Linux we (the programmers and/or users) sometimes create
            Zombies when we close down a program in a manner which does not shut
            down all processes. Fldigi is multi-threaded application. Some threads
            might remain running in the background even though we have closed the
            application. That might occur if the program faulted in a manner not
            foreseen by the developers. OS X is supposed to pretty POSIX
            compliant. Perhaps you could use the "ps" command in a terminal
            window. On Linux that command would be

            >ps -A

            where > is the command line prompt.

            If fldigi were shut down but still visible from the ps output then there
            is a fldigi zombie in the background. The ps command gives an output like:

            7017 ? 00:00:00 run-mozilla.sh
            7021 ? 00:00:31 thunderbird-bin
            7633 ? 00:00:00 gnome-terminal
            7634 ? 00:00:00 gnome-pty-helpe

            Where the 7017 ... 7634 are process numbers. A process can be killed
            from the terminal window, ie:

            >kill 7633

            would kill the gnome-terminal window (the one the ps was executed in).

            You might need help from an OS X terminal command line expert.

            Dave
          • Dick Kriss
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 2, 2009
              On Sunday8/2/09 1:26 PM, "Dave Freese W1HKJ" <w1hkj@...> wrote:

              > There are NO common options shared by RigCAT and Hamlib Dick. The
              > device options combo in both the RigCAT and Hamlib tabs are populated on
              > program start. Building the device list is highly OS dependent and is
              > different for Linux, Windows and OS X.

              Sorry Dave I misread one of your earlier message when there was a
              problem with the OS X version of fldigi not populating the RigCAT
              Device selector and got the impression that on startup both RigCAT
              and Hamlib read the same file to populate the Device selector. The
              RigCAT population issue was fixed in 3.12.2

              |>08a7c86: Correctly populate RigCAT menu on OS X
              |> fixed the RigCAT issue in

              > How many serial devices do you have on your computer?

              I only have one serial device and it is a Keyspan USA28X with
              two ports. I only used port #1 for rig control and port #2 is
              not used.

              > If only one and it did not show up then the device was not
              > available for fldigi use when you started the program.

              Maybe that was the problem but why was the Hamlib device
              selector not working. The reason I got the IO failure was
              the selector was not populated. This is a little confusing

              I never had this error with 3.11.xx. The first time it showed
              up was in 3.12.3 after the RigCAT correction.

              When it is working the options are identical for RigCAT and
              Hamlib

              > It might have been in use by another program or a background process.
              > Can you test to see which devices are being used and by which running
              > program?

              I am not sure .... I don't use the serial device for any other application.

              > I'm not familiar enough with OS X to give you advice on a
              > procedure. On Linux we (the programmers and/or users) sometimes create
              > Zombies when we close down a program in a manner which does not shut
              > down all processes. Fldigi is multi-threaded application. Some threads
              > might remain running in the background even though we have closed the
              > application. That might occur if the program faulted in a manner not
              > foreseen by the developers. OS X is supposed to pretty POSIX
              > compliant. Perhaps you could use the "ps" command in a terminal
              > window. On Linux that command would be

              I will check the terminal commands later.... tied up now

              Dick
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 2, 2009
                Dick Kriss wrote:
                > I only have one serial device and it is a Keyspan USA28X with
                > two ports. I only used port #1 for rig control and port #2 is
                > not used. .....
                >
                > Maybe that was the problem but why was the Hamlib device
                > selector not working. The reason I got the IO failure was
                > the selector was not populated. This is a little confusing

                Both hamlib and RigCAT device selector combo boxes are populated by the
                same routine that tests for the existence and the availability of the
                serial devices. It will only show up if (1) it is found and (2) it is
                not being used by another process (ie: a possible Zombie).

                BTW rebooting the computer will always kill any zombie processes.

                Dave
              • Dick Kriss
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 2, 2009
                  Re: [linuxham] More on Population of Hamlib "Device" Selector Options On Sunday8/2/09 2:37 PM, "Dave Freese W1HKJ" <w1hkj@...> wrote:

                  Dick Kriss wrote:
                  > I only have one serial device and it is a Keyspan USA28X with
                  > two ports. I only used port #1 for rig control and port #2 is
                  > not used.  .....
                  >
                  > Maybe that was the problem but why was the Hamlib device
                  > selector not working.  The reason I got the IO failure was
                  > the selector was not populated.  This is a little confusing

                  Both hamlib and RigCAT device selector combo boxes are populated by the
                  same routine that tests for the existence and the availability of the
                  serial devices.  It will only show up if (1) it is found and (2) it is
                  not being used by another process (ie: a possible Zombie).

                  BTW rebooting the computer will always kill any zombie processes.

                  Dave

                  Good tip!   The next time it happens I will restart the Mac and see if
                  that clears the problem.  Like the old bumper sticker says ...it happens!
                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 2, 2009
                    Just install Linux and be done with it.

                    http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu

                    Just my thoughts.