Tip for Mac OS X fldigi users

  • Dick Kriss
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 1, 2009
      Thanks to some off line exchanges with Rick K6LE I now
      know how to restore my .fldigi folder from the OS X Time
      Machine.

      As you may recall from one my earlier postings I thought
      I had trashed my .fldigi folder with all of the good stuff and
      tried to Restore it using the Apple Time Machine backup.
      The problem was the Time Machine did not display hidden
      or invisible folders like the .flgigi folder. If you can't see it,
      you can't restore it.

      The solution per Rich K6LE is to first use the Finder File/Find
      to locate the file or folder. Once found then open the Time
      Machine. I just did it and Restored my .fldigi folder the Apple
      Time Machine backup.

      Thanks to K6LE I learned a new (to me) Mac trick today.

      73 Dick AA5VU

      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 1, 2009
        Dick Kriss wrote:

        > Thanks to K6LE I learned a new (to me) Mac trick today.
        >
        > 73 Dick AA5VU

        Just goes to show that you *can* teach an old dog new tricks....hi

        Ed W3NR

        Sorry Dick, but you left yourself wide open for that one !!!!
      • ke7adu
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 2, 2009
          --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, Dick Kriss <aa5vu@...> wrote:

          > Thanks to some off line exchanges with Rick K6LE I now
          > know how to restore my .fldigi folder from the OS X Time
          > Machine.
          >
          > As you may recall from one my earlier postings I thought
          > I had trashed my .fldigi folder with all of the good stuff and
          > tried to Restore it using the Apple Time Machine backup.
          > The problem was the Time Machine did not display hidden
          > or invisible folders like the .flgigi folder. If you can't see it,
          > you can't restore it.
          >
          > The solution per Rich K6LE is to first use the Finder File/Find
          > to locate the file or folder. Once found then open the Time
          > Machine. I just did it and Restored my .fldigi folder the Apple
          > Time Machine backup.
          >
          > Thanks to K6LE I learned a new (to me) Mac trick today.
          >
          > 73 Dick AA5VU
          >
          > On Saturday8/1/09 9:37 AM, "Rick Prather K6LE" <rprather@...> wrote:
          >
          > > Dick,
          > >
          > > Open Finder and put the invisible file/folder in the search box, in
          > > this case .fldigi then click the "+" key on the far right under the
          > > search box.
          > >
          > > Drop down the "Kind" box on the left and select "Other". You will
          > > shown a box with a bunch of options. Put "Invisible" in that boxes
          > > search box and it will show you a Visibility choice. Select
          > > "Invisible" and your .fldigi folder should show up.
          > >
          > > Then enter Time Machine and you can do a normal Restore of that folder.
          > >
          > > Rick
          > > K6LE

          I am new to the Mac my self but have needed to see hidden files to configure a few things. Typing the command below in a terminal lets you see hidden files in the finder and I think in time machine.

          "defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles YES"

          Just be sure you run it again relpacing the "YES" with "NO" when you are done.

          Anthony
          KE7ADU
        • Dick Kriss
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 2, 2009
            Re: [linuxham] Re: Tip for Mac OS X fldigi users On Sunday8/2/09 12:53 PM, "ke7adu" <ke7adu@...> wrote:

            I am new to the Mac my self but have needed to see hidden files to configure a few things.  Typing the command below in a terminal lets you see hidden files in the finder and I think in time machine.

            "defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles YES"

            Just be sure you run it again relpacing the "YES" with "NO" when you are done.

            Anthony
            KE7ADU

            Anthony,

            The best way to view and edit the .fldigi folder is to use the fldigi button
            under the File menu to "Show Configuration."   To get the hidden or
            invisible files and folders is to use the freeware version of MainMenu
            that has a pull down from the Menubar with an option under Finder
            to Show Invisibles or Hide Invisibles.  This handy tool does the same
            thing as the terminal command you suggested; however, the MainMenu
            does not work in conjunction with the Time Machine.

            I will send you the freeware MainMenu174.app.zip. The new version
            is no longer freeware and it may be hard to find the old freeware version.
            Try it – the price is right.

            Dick