Assistance with hamlib and fldigi please

  • jspottiswoode
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 30, 2009
      I apologize in advance if this has already been answered, but I am mighty puzzled.

      I have compiled hamlib apparently successfully on OSX 10.5.7. At least I can run rigctl and talk my Icom rig just fine. I have fldigi 3.12.2 which I would like to use for PSK and talk to the radio via hamlib. But fldigi does not see hamlib, at least there is no list of rigs in its hamlib setup pane. I assumed that maybe fldigi doesn't know where the hamlib libraries are so I added /usr/local/lib to LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable, but that hasn't helped.

      What is particularly galling is that this worked for an hour yesterday but I cannot see what I changed...

      Really appreciate any pointers anyone might have.

      Thanks & 73's,

      James KG6SMH
    • Dick Kriss
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 30, 2009
        James KG6SMH,

        I assume your are using a Mac with OS X 10.5.7 but do not understand
        your comment about compiling hamlib?

        The Hamlib is contained in the OSX version of fldigi. I suggest you go to

        <http://www.w1hkj.com/Downloads.html>

        and download

        OS X 10.4 / 10.5 32bit universal binary fldigi-3.12.3.dmg

        and replace the 3.12.2 your are using. When you open fldigi-3.12.3
        and go to the Hamlib Rig Control panel, you should see several Icom rigs

        Hamlib has been working great on an Intel iMac to a Kenwood TS-570S.

        73 Dick AA5VU

        On Thursday7/30/09 5:11 PM, "jspottiswoode" <james@...> wrote:

        > I apologize in advance if this has already been answered, but I am mighty
        > puzzled.
        >
        > I have compiled hamlib apparently successfully on OSX 10.5.7. At least I can
        > run rigctl and talk my Icom rig just fine. I have fldigi 3.12.2 which I would
        > like to use for PSK and talk to the radio via hamlib. But fldigi does not see
        > hamlib, at least there is no list of rigs in its hamlib setup pane. I assumed
        > that maybe fldigi doesn't know where the hamlib libraries are so I added
        > /usr/local/lib to LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable, but that hasn't
        > helped.
        >
        > What is particularly galling is that this worked for an hour yesterday but I
        > cannot see what I changed...
        >
        > Really appreciate any pointers anyone might have.
        >
        > Thanks & 73's,
        >
        > James KG6SMH

      • jspottiswoode
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 30, 2009
          Dick,

          Thanks for your thoughts. Now I doubly puzzled. I unfortunately mis-typed the fldigi version number in my original post. I AM in fact using 3.12.3 and the hamlb panel shows no rigs at all.

          Any suggestions?

          Best thanks, James

          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 30, 2009
            jspottiswoode wrote:
            > Dick,
            >
            > Thanks for your thoughts. Now I doubly puzzled. I unfortunately mis-typed the fldigi version number in my original post. I AM in fact using 3.12.3 and the hamlb panel shows no rigs at all.
            >
            > Any suggestions?
            >
            > Best thanks, James
            The OS X binary that you would have installed using the dmg has
            "fldigi", "flarq" and all of the required libraries statically linked.
            Hamlib behavior is different than the other linked libs. On start the
            program looks for evidence of shared hamlib objects in your lib path.
            If it finds any at all it assumes that you the operator want to over
            ride the internal static linkage. Perhaps when you built and installed
            hamlib you did not complete the task of configuring the shared lib
            locations with "ldconfig".

            I would suggest removing the hamlib shared objects that you built
            yourself (cd to the top level source directory and "sudo make
            uninstall"). You may have to adjust that command line for OS X. Then
            try starting fldigi to see if it does not find the internal hamlib objects.

            73, Dave, W1HKJ

            P.S. I do not own an OS X computer, so my suggestions are conjecture
            based on the Linux development environment.
          • Dick Kriss
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 31, 2009
              Re: [linuxham] Re: Assistance with hamlib and fldigi please Trash what you have and get a fresh version.  I do not understand
              your comment that you compiled a hamlib?  For OS X there is
              nothing for you to compile.

              Dick

              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 31, 2009
                All solved thanks. I had not realised that fldigi comes with hamlib libraries already linked in during the build. Therefore I compiled and installed hamlib thinking that to be be necessary. Then fldigi was seeing my compiled version but apparently unable to access the rig list. I have now removed all the compiled hamlib libraries and fldigi works fine.

                Thanks to everyone for the advice!