Re: [linuxham] fldigi - I got them sound card blues

  • Rein Couperus PA0R
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 23, 2006
      On Sat, 2006-12-23 at 16:59 +0000, k1gpl wrote:
      > I am running Ubuntu Edgy. I have downloaded and installed from source
      > the latest fltk and fldigi, and Hamlib 1.2.5 from an Ubuntu repo.
      >
      > Using fldigi, I find that it interfaces with my Kenwood TS-450S, but
      > not until I hit some magic combination of buttons on the rig. Once it
      > starts talking (/dev/ttyUSB0), it seems to communicate OK, just slow
      > to react.
      >
      > My problem is the sound. I'm using the onboard sound on an MSI K8 Neo
      > mainboard. I've been told that fldigi uses OSS, so I've added both
      > the alsa wrapper and the compatibility packages so that apps looking
      > for OSS get served, but fldigi doesn't appear to hear a thing. The
      > sound is blasting out of my PC speakers, so I know at least that it is
      > getting to the box. I have it configured as /dev/dsp in fldigi.
      >
      > I commented out the call to getVersion in sound.cxx, thinking that the
      > wrapper stuff might not pass the right version back to fldigi anyway,
      > but that didn't make any difference.
      >
      > Any tips? Dave? Ubuntu Edgy users running fldigi?

      I run UBUNTU Dapper on a laptop using a SiS SI7012 sound chip, and have
      the following config:

      Fldigi uses /dev/dsp

      Use the ALSA mixer (double click on the volume control on the task bar
      to fire it up).
      Playback: unmute Master(16%) and PCM (80%)
      Capture: unmute Capture (~50%).

      Adjust the sound controls in Fldigi to your liking (-10dB, 40dB).

      That's all.

      73,

      Rein PA0R