fldigi 3.11.5 wont compile on fedora 11

  • Rick Stanback
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 5, 2009
      I upgraded my Fedora 10 to 11 and was re-compiling some of my programs
      and fldigi 3.11.5 was giving me the following errors.

      misc/qrzlib.cxx: In member function ‘int QRZ::ReadRec()’:
      misc/qrzlib.cxx:778: error: invalid conversion from ‘const char*’ to ‘char*’

      I had no problems compiling on Fedora 10? I took the compiler message at
      face value and change the code to:

      int QRZ::ReadRec()
      {
      char *comma;

      if( found == 1 ) {
      Qcall = recbuffer;
      comma = strchr( const_cast <char *> (Qcall), ',' );
      *comma = 0;

      I don't use the qrz stuff so I really don't know if this works but I was
      able to compile the program. I found these errors in the qrzlib.cxx and
      the picture.cxx files. It does appear from the code that it is changing
      the value of Qcall which is declared as const char *Qcall.
    • Mike Doty
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 5, 2009
        Rick Stanback wrote:
        > I upgraded my Fedora 10 to 11 and was re-compiling some of my programs
        > and fldigi 3.11.5 was giving me the following errors.
        >
        > misc/qrzlib.cxx: In member function ‘int QRZ::ReadRec()’:
        > misc/qrzlib.cxx:778: error: invalid conversion from ‘const char*’ to ‘char*’
        >
        > I had no problems compiling on Fedora 10? I took the compiler message at
        > face value and change the code to:
        >
        > int QRZ::ReadRec()
        > {
        > char *comma;
        >
        > if( found == 1 ) {
        > Qcall = recbuffer;
        > comma = strchr( const_cast <char *> (Qcall), ',' );
        > *comma = 0;
        >
        > I don't use the qrz stuff so I really don't know if this works but I was
        > able to compile the program. I found these errors in the qrzlib.cxx and
        > the picture.cxx files. It does appear from the code that it is changing
        > the value of Qcall which is declared as const char *Qcall.

        This is a new "feature" of glibc-2.10 and gcc-4.4. See [1] for detailed
        explanation. Upgrading fedora forced the latest gcc and libc on you.

        Mike, KI6RYC

        [1] - http://blog.flameeyes.eu/2009/07/02/how-_not_-to-fix-gcc-4-4-bugs
      • Stelios Bounanos
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 5, 2009

          > I upgraded my Fedora 10 to 11 and was re-compiling some of my programs
          > and fldigi 3.11.5 was giving me the following errors.

          > misc/qrzlib.cxx: In member function ‘int QRZ::ReadRec()’:
          > misc/qrzlib.cxx:778: error: invalid conversion from ‘const char*’ to ‘char*’

          > I had no problems compiling on Fedora 10? I took the compiler message at
          > face value and change the code to:

          > int QRZ::ReadRec()
          > {
          > char *comma;

          > if( found == 1 ) {
          > Qcall = recbuffer;
          > comma = strchr( const_cast <char *> (Qcall), ',' );
          > *comma = 0;

          > I don't use the qrz stuff so I really don't know if this works but I was
          > able to compile the program. I found these errors in the qrzlib.cxx and
          > the picture.cxx files. It does appear from the code that it is changing
          > the value of Qcall which is declared as const char *Qcall.

          Thanks for the bug report, Rick, we'll fix this for 3.11.6. Debian
          unstable has gcc 4.4 but is still at glibc 2.9.

          Stelios, M0GLD.