Re: [linuxham] Fldigi Cabrillo Export Issues for PODXS PSK31 Contests

  • Dick Kriss
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 1, 2009
      Re: [linuxham] Fldigi Cabrillo Export Issues for PODXS PSK31 Contests FYI..... lessons learned the hard way

      On Sunday5/31/09 6:49 PM, "Dick Kriss" <aa5vu@...> wrote:

      I made a number of contacts in the three-day
      weekend PODXS (Penn-Ohio DX Society) contest

      <http://www.podxs070.com/three-day-weekend>

      and the OS X version of fldigi worked great.  There
      were no macro or logging issues. After the contest,
      I ran into two export related issues:

      Export Cabrillo Report - Name not supported
      The PODXS contest is not one of the fldigi supported
      contests. When I exported the log to a Cabrillo report,
      I found there is no option in the "Cabrillo Setup" panel
      to have the Name of the station worked exported.
      The PODXS contest exchange was name and member
      number.  No issue logging either but I could not export
      the name to the Cabrillo report.

      ADIF format for Exchange In
      --------------------------------
      I then exported the fldig log in ADIF format to be
      imported into my normal logging program to see if it
      could export the name and member number to .cbr
      format.  After changing the file name from .adif format
      to .adi format, it imported but I ran into another issue.
      Neither of the fldigi saved Exchanges imported.  I am
      not sure if the ADIF format issue is with fldigi or my
      logging program.

      I double checked the saved .adif file and the exchanges
      are in the document so I have contacted the logging
      author to see what format is wrong.

      Any other fldigi users members of the PODXS?

      As I indicated fldigi worked great in the PSK31 contest. I
      just ran into some after action documentation issues with
      this fldigi not supported contest.

      73 Dick AA5VU

    • Dick Kriss
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 1, 2009
        I received some feedback from the author of my logging program
        and it appears the problem or issue I encountered may be in the
        field names used by fldigi in the ADIF format.

        > The "error" (if you can call it that) it is in the fldigi file. The field
        > names for ADIF are supposed to be SRX_STRING for the received
        > exchange, and STX_STRING for the transmitted string. The fldigi
        > file has "XCHG1" and "MYXCHG" respectively for these fields.

        I am not a ADIF expert so I yield to the fldigi development team on
        if the fldigi ADIF field names need to be changed.

        73 Dick AA5VU

        On Sunday5/31/09 6:49 PM, "Dick Kriss" <aa5vu@...> wrote:

        > Subject : [linuxham] Fldigi Cabrillo Export Issues for PODXS PSK31 Contests

        snip

        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 1, 2009
          Dick Kriss wrote:
          I received some feedback from the author of my logging program
          and it appears the problem or issue I encountered may be in the
          field names used by fldigi in the ADIF format.

          The "error" (if you can call it that) it is in the fldigi file.  The field
          names for ADIF are supposed to be SRX_STRING for the received
          exchange, and STX_STRING for the transmitted string.  The fldigi
          file has "XCHG1" and "MYXCHG" respectively for these fields.

          I am not a ADIF expert so I yield to the fldigi development team on
          if the fldigi ADIF field names need to be changed.

          73 Dick AA5VU

          The proposed 2.2.3 Adif specification does list both STX_STRING and SRX_STRING.  I will change fldigi's field names to comply with the proposal.

          In the meantime you can always use a little text editing to change the field names in your exported ADIF file.

          Dave
        • nhu_web
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 16, 2012

            > Dick Kriss wrote:
            > > I received some feedback from the author of my logging program
            > > and it appears the problem or issue I encountered may be in the
            > > field names used by fldigi in the ADIF format.
            > >

            > >> The "error" (if you can call it that) it is in the fldigi file. The field
            > >> names for ADIF are supposed to be SRX_STRING for the received
            > >> exchange, and STX_STRING for the transmitted string. The fldigi
            > >> file has "XCHG1" and "MYXCHG" respectively for these fields.
            > >>

            > > I am not a ADIF expert so I yield to the fldigi development team on
            > > if the fldigi ADIF field names need to be changed.
            > >

            > > 73 Dick AA5VU
            > >

            > The proposed 2.2.3 Adif specification does list both STX_STRING and
            > SRX_STRING. I will change fldigi's field names to comply with the proposal.
            >
            > In the meantime you can always use a little text editing to change the
            > field names in your exported ADIF file.
            >
            > Dave

            I appreciate I'm replying to a very old thread here but that's because I did a search on "XCHG1".

            I export my logs from fldigi into Aether and each time I have to edit the adif file to replace MYXCHG with stx_string and XCHG1 with srx_string.

            Please would it be possible for fldigi to export these exchange files as stx_string and srx_string?

            Thanks,

            73
            Keith, G6NHU
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 16, 2012
              On 09/16/2012 05:38 AM, nhu_web wrote:

              > --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, w1hkj <w1hkj@...> wrote:
              >> Dick Kriss wrote:
              >>> I received some feedback from the author of my logging program
              >>> and it appears the problem or issue I encountered may be in the
              >>> field names used by fldigi in the ADIF format.

              >>> I am not a ADIF expert so I yield to the fldigi development team on
              >>> if the fldigi ADIF field names need to be changed.
              >>>

              >>> 73 Dick AA5VU
              >>>
              >> The proposed 2.2.3 Adif specification does list both STX_STRING and
              >> SRX_STRING. I will change fldigi's field names to comply with the proposal.
              >>
              >> In the meantime you can always use a little text editing to change the
              >> field names in your exported ADIF file.
              >>
              >> Dave
              >>
              > I appreciate I'm replying to a very old thread here but that's because I did a search on "XCHG1".
              >
              > I export my logs from fldigi into Aether and each time I have to edit the adif file to replace MYXCHG with stx_string and XCHG1 with srx_string.
              >
              > Please would it be possible for fldigi to export these exchange files as stx_string and srx_string?
              >
              > Thanks,
              >
              > 73
              > Keith, G6NHU
              Keith,

              You are in control ... Do you build fldigi from source? If yes, then
              you can change the ADIF export code to satisfy your requirement.

              The ADIF specification allows any program to use non standard tags.

              Dave
            • nhu_web
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 16, 2012

                > On 09/16/2012 05:38 AM, nhu_web wrote:
                > >

                > > --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, w1hkj <w1hkj@> wrote:

                > >> The proposed 2.2.3 Adif specification does list both STX_STRING and
                > >> SRX_STRING. I will change fldigi's field names to comply with the proposal.
                > >>
                > >> In the meantime you can always use a little text editing to change the
                > >> field names in your exported ADIF file.
                > >>
                > >> Dave
                > >>
                > > I appreciate I'm replying to a very old thread here but that's because I did a search on "XCHG1".
                > >
                > > I export my logs from fldigi into Aether and each time I have to edit the adif file to replace MYXCHG with stx_string and XCHG1 with srx_string.
                > >
                > > Please would it be possible for fldigi to export these exchange files as stx_string and srx_string?
                > >
                > > Thanks,
                > >
                > > 73
                > > Keith, G6NHU
                > Keith,
                >
                > You are in control ... Do you build fldigi from source? If yes, then
                > you can change the ADIF export code to satisfy your requirement.
                >
                > The ADIF specification allows any program to use non standard tags.
                >
                > Dave

                No, I don't build from source and have no knowledge to do so. You mentioned back in 2009 that the proposed 2.2.3 ADIF standard lists both stx_string and srx_string and said you'd change the MYXCHG and XCHG1 export fields to comply with the proposal.

                I understand that the specification allows non standard tags but surely it would be better if everyone uses the accepted norms?

                FWIW, I've also emailed Andrew (author of Aether) to see if he can manage the alternate import fields.

                If not, I'll just carry on editing the files.

                73
                Keith, G6NHU
              • Dick Kriss
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 17, 2012

                  On Sep 17, 2012, at 1:12AM the Digest Number 2348 contained:

                  > You are in control ... Do you build fldigi from source? If yes, then
                  > you can change the ADIF export code to satisfy your requirement.
                  >
                  > The ADIF specification allows any program to use non standard tags.
                  >
                  > Dave

                  No, I don't build from source and have no knowledge to do so. You mentioned back in 2009 that the proposed 2.2.3 ADIF standard lists both stx_string and srx_string and said you'd change the MYXCHG and XCHG1 export fields to comply with the proposal.

                  I understand that the specification allows non standard tags but surely it would be better if everyone uses the accepted norms?

                  FWIW, I've also emailed Andrew (author of Aether) to see if he can manage the alternate import fields.

                  If not, I'll just carry on editing the files.

                  73
                  Keith, G6NHU

                  Like Keith, G6NJU, I do not compile fldigi from source.  I did run some tests and confirmed the issue with the fldigi non standard tags Keith reported. The issue seems to be within fldigi rather than in Aether. Changing from nonstandard to standard tags does not sound that complicated but I am not a programmer. There may some other reason fldigi uses nonstandard tags for use with other platforms and logging applicaitons. The workaround for OS X users is to use a text editor to find and replace the tags on fldigi exported .adif files.

                  Dick, AA5VU