fldigi 3.11.2 RigCat / FT1000MP xml

  • Mitchel Baum
    Message 1 of 17 , May 6, 2009
      Group,

      Has anyone been successful in getting the FT1000MP to work with RigCAT (on OS-X)?
      I can get it to work under Windows with Hamlib, but it refuses to work with the ft1000mp.xml.

      Has anyone fully implemented fldigi on a MAC under OS-X?
      I can share my experiences and llimited successes.

      Mitch Baum / AF2M

    • Frank
      Message 2 of 17 , May 7, 2009
        --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, Mitchel Baum <mitch.baum@...> wrote:

        > Group,
        >
        > Has anyone been successful in getting the FT1000MP to work with RigCAT (on OS-X)?
        > I can get it to work under Windows with Hamlib, but it refuses to work with the ft1000mp.xml.
        >
        > Has anyone fully implemented fldigi on a MAC under OS-X?
        > I can share my experiences and llimited successes.
        >
        > Mitch Baum / AF2M

        Hi, I am using fldigi to send and receive MT63 on Navy MARS with no problems. I have not figured out how to create a message in the transmit buffer and save it for later transmission.
        Message 3 of 17 , May 7, 2009
          Frank wrote:

          > Hi, I am using fldigi to send and receive MT63 on Navy MARS with no problems. I have not figured out how to create a message in the transmit buffer and save it for later transmission.

          I'm not sure what you are wanting to do ? Transmit an existing file ?
          Re-transmit a previous received message ?

          There are several ways to do this based on what you are trying to
          accomplish.

          Message 4 of 17 , May 7, 2009
            > --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, Mitchel Baum <mitch.baum@...> wrote:
            >> Group,
            >>
            >> Has anyone been successful in getting the FT1000MP to work with RigCAT (on OS-X)?
            >> I can get it to work under Windows with Hamlib, but it refuses to work with the ft1000mp.xml.
            >>
            >> Has anyone fully implemented fldigi on a MAC under OS-X?
            >> I can share my experiences and llimited successes.
            >>
            >> Mitch Baum / AF2M

            Mitch, rig control is pretty much OS independent. You need to either
            install Hamlib or post to the group what you have done with the XML.

            Its difficult to help someone with so little information.

            Ed W3NR
          • Frank
            Message 5 of 17 , May 8, 2009
              Well Ed, for an example last night I was going to send a message and I typed it up and then we had propagation problems. I tried to save it to send later and I could not figure out how to do it. In most applications I would have been able to use the Mac edit functions but with Fldigi running those options are not available.
              Frank

              > Frank wrote:
              >
              > > Hi, I am using fldigi to send and receive MT63 on Navy MARS with no problems. I have not figured out how to create a message in the transmit buffer and save it for later transmission.
              > >

              > I'm not sure what you are wanting to do ? Transmit an existing file ?
              > Re-transmit a previous received message ?
              >
              > There are several ways to do this based on what you are trying to
              > accomplish.
              >

              > Ed W3NR

            • Bob Snyder
              Message 6 of 17 , May 8, 2009
                Frank,

                One way to do this is to open a new empty file in a text editor, then
                copy and past the text from fldigi into the editor. Then you can save
                the file, and open it later from the TX pane of fldigi. Is there any
                problem doing this with a Mac?

                Bob W6CP

                Frank wrote:
                > Well Ed, for an example last night I was going to send a message and I typed it up and then we had propagation problems. I tried to save it to send later and I could not figure out how to do it. In most applications I would have been able to use the Mac edit functions but with Fldigi running those options are not available.
                > Frank
                >
                > --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, Ed <autek@...> wrote:
                >
                >> Frank wrote:
                >>

                >>> Hi, I am using fldigi to send and receive MT63 on Navy MARS with no problems. I have not figured out how to create a message in the transmit buffer and save it for later transmission.
                >>>

                >> I'm not sure what you are wanting to do ? Transmit an existing file ?
                >> Re-transmit a previous received message ?
                >>
                >> There are several ways to do this based on what you are trying to
                >> accomplish.
                >>

                >> Ed W3NR

              • Dick Kriss
                Message 7 of 17 , May 8, 2009
                  Bob W6CP,

                  No problem on this iMac using OS X 10.5 and fldigi 3.11.4.

                  I saved your note to the desktop. From fldigi I did a right-click
                  on the text pane and selected the "Insert file..." Once found fldigi
                  copied the text into the TX pane. It was ready to be sent. Worked
                  great!

                  I then tried saving text from the Rx pane using the same right-click
                  option and fldigi saved the text as generic text. I then edited the text
                  with Apple's TextEdit and saved it. There was no problem with fldigi
                  finding or importing the TextEdit file to the Tx pane.

                  Thanks for the reminder to use this feature of fldigi

                  73 Dick AA5Vu

                  On Friday5/8/09 11:06 AM, "Bob Snyder" <bob.snyder@...> wrote:

                  > Frank,
                  >
                  > One way to do this is to open a new empty file in a text editor, then
                  > copy and past the text from fldigi into the editor. Then you can save
                  > the file, and open it later from the TX pane of fldigi. Is there any
                  > problem doing this with a Mac?
                  >
                  > Bob W6CP

                • Harry Bloomberg
                  Message 8 of 17 , May 8, 2009
                    Not sure if this will work on Mac, and it doesn't work on my Ubuntu
                    netbook, but a really nice feature in Fldigi under Windows is the
                    ability to drag a file into the transmit window. So, in this example,
                    you could save the note, and rather than right-clicking and selecting
                    "Insert file", you can just drag the file into the transmit window,
                    and the text from the file will automatically appear there.

                    This is way cool and my preferred method for loading "Wrapped" files
                    for transmission.

                    73,
                    Harry Bloomberg W3YJ
                    hbloomb@...

                    On Fri, May 8, 2009 at 1:03 PM, Dick Kriss <aa5vu@...> wrote:

                    > Bob W6CP,
                    >
                    > No problem on this iMac using OS X 10.5 and fldigi 3.11.4.
                    >
                    > I saved your note to the desktop. From fldigi I did a right-click
                    > on the text pane and selected the "Insert file..." Once found fldigi
                    > copied the text into the TX pane. It was ready to be sent. Worked
                    > great!
                    >
                    > I then tried saving text from the Rx pane using the same right-click
                    > option and fldigi saved the text as generic text. I then edited the text
                    > with Apple's TextEdit and saved it. There was no problem with fldigi
                    > finding or importing the TextEdit file to the Tx pane.
                    >
                    > Thanks for the reminder to use this feature of fldigi
                    >
                    > 73 Dick AA5Vu
                    >
                    > On Friday5/8/09 11:06 AM, "Bob Snyder" <bob.snyder@...> wrote:
                    >
                    >> Frank,
                    >>
                    >> One way to do this is to open a new empty file in a text editor, then
                    >> copy and past the text from fldigi into the editor. Then you can save
                    >> the file, and open it later from the TX pane of fldigi. Is there any
                    >> problem doing this with a Mac?
                    >>
                    >> Bob W6CP

                  • Dick Kriss
                    Message 9 of 17 , May 8, 2009
                      I changed the subject to agree with the topic.

                      Harry W3YJ,

                      I imported the text as think it fldigi was designed using
                      the right-click and "Insert file" on the Mac. Just tried the
                      drag and drop that I think you were asking about and it
                      copies in the filename and path ... not the text.

                      Just open the file you want and use copy/paste to insert
                      the text.

                      I really do not see the need for supporting drag and drop.

                      Dick AA5VU

                      On Friday5/8/09 12:10 PM, "Harry Bloomberg" <hbloomb@...> wrote:

                      > Not sure if this will work on Mac, and it doesn't work on my Ubuntu
                      > netbook, but a really nice feature in Fldigi under Windows is the
                      > ability to drag a file into the transmit window. So, in this example,
                      > you could save the note, and rather than right-clicking and selecting
                      > "Insert file", you can just drag the file into the transmit window,
                      > and the text from the file will automatically appear there.
                      >
                      > This is way cool and my preferred method for loading "Wrapped" files
                      > for transmission.
                      >
                      > 73,
                      > Harry Bloomberg W3YJ
                      > hbloomb@... <mailto:hbloomb%40gmail.com>
                      >
                      > On Fri, May 8, 2009 at 1:03 PM, Dick Kriss <aa5vu@...
                      > <mailto:aa5vu%40att.net> > wrote:
                      >>

                      >> Bob W6CP,
                      >>
                      >> No problem on this iMac using OS X 10.5 and fldigi 3.11.4.
                      >>
                      >> I saved your note to the desktop. From fldigi I did a right-click
                      >> on the text pane and selected the "Insert file..." Once found fldigi
                      >> copied the text into the TX pane. It was ready to be sent. Worked
                      >> great!
                      >>
                      >> I then tried saving text from the Rx pane using the same right-click
                      >> option and fldigi saved the text as generic text. I then edited the text
                      >> with Apple's TextEdit and saved it. There was no problem with fldigi
                      >> finding or importing the TextEdit file to the Tx pane.
                      >>
                      >> Thanks for the reminder to use this feature of fldigi
                      >>
                      >> 73 Dick AA5Vu
                      >>
                      >> On Friday5/8/09 11:06 AM, "Bob Snyder" <bob.snyder@...
                      >> <mailto:bob.snyder%40cox.net> > wrote:
                      >>
                      >>> Frank,
                      >>>
                      >>> One way to do this is to open a new empty file in a text editor, then
                      >>> copy and past the text from fldigi into the editor. Then you can save
                      >>> the file, and open it later from the TX pane of fldigi. Is there any
                      >>> problem doing this with a Mac?
                      >>>
                      >>> Bob W6CP

                    • Harry Bloomberg
                      Message 10 of 17 , May 8, 2009
                        We train a lot of hams in our ARES groups in using Fldigi. Many of
                        these hams have limited computer skills. Drag and drop is a lot
                        easier to train and a few steps quicker than teaching "Right click,
                        select Insert File, navigate around your computer's filesystem to find
                        the file, double click." With drag-and-drop, it's so much easier to
                        train, "Take the file from your desktop and drag into the transmit
                        window." It's also easier to perform under stress.

                        73,
                        Harry Bloomberg W3YJ
                        hbloomb@...

                        On Fri, May 8, 2009 at 1:25 PM, Dick Kriss <aa5vu@...> wrote:

                        > I changed the subject to agree with the topic.
                        >
                        > Harry W3YJ,
                        >
                        > I imported the text as think it fldigi was designed using
                        > the right-click and "Insert file" on the Mac. Just tried the
                        > drag and drop that I think you were asking about and it
                        > copies in the filename and path ... not the text.
                        >
                        > Just open the file you want and use copy/paste to insert
                        > the text.
                        >
                        > I really do not see the need for supporting drag and drop.
                        >
                        > Dick AA5VU
                        >
                        > On Friday5/8/09 12:10 PM, "Harry Bloomberg" <hbloomb@...> wrote:
                        >

                        >> Not sure if this will work on Mac, and it doesn't work on my Ubuntu
                        >> netbook, but a really nice feature in Fldigi under Windows is the
                        >> ability to drag a file into the transmit window. So, in this example,
                        >> you could save the note, and rather than right-clicking and selecting
                        >> "Insert file", you can just drag the file into the transmit window,
                        >> and the text from the file will automatically appear there.
                        >>
                        >> This is way cool and my preferred method for loading "Wrapped" files
                        >> for transmission.
                        >>
                        >> 73,
                        >> Harry Bloomberg W3YJ
                        >> hbloomb@... <mailto:hbloomb%40gmail.com>
                        >>
                        >> On Fri, May 8, 2009 at 1:03 PM, Dick Kriss <aa5vu@...
                        >> <mailto:aa5vu%40att.net> > wrote:
                        >>>

                        >>> Bob W6CP,
                        >>>
                        >>> No problem on this iMac using OS X 10.5 and fldigi 3.11.4.
                        >>>
                        >>> I saved your note to the desktop. From fldigi I did a right-click
                        >>> on the text pane and selected the "Insert file..." Once found fldigi
                        >>> copied the text into the TX pane. It was ready to be sent. Worked
                        >>> great!
                        >>>
                        >>> I then tried saving text from the Rx pane using the same right-click
                        >>> option and fldigi saved the text as generic text. I then edited the text
                        >>> with Apple's TextEdit and saved it. There was no problem with fldigi
                        >>> finding or importing the TextEdit file to the Tx pane.
                        >>>
                        >>> Thanks for the reminder to use this feature of fldigi
                        >>>
                        >>> 73 Dick AA5Vu

                      • Bob Snyder
                        Message 11 of 17 , May 8, 2009
                          Hi Harry,

                          I'm not sure why it isn't working for you on Ubuntu unless it has
                          something to do with the netbook. I just tried dragging a text file into
                          fldigi's transmit window here with my Slackware system, then using
                          VirtualBox I tried it on WinXP and Ubuntu 8.1 and it worked fine on each
                          of them.

                          About the only thing I can't try it on is OS X.

                          Bob W6CP

                          Harry Bloomberg wrote:
                          > Not sure if this will work on Mac, and it doesn't work on my Ubuntu
                          > netbook, but a really nice feature in Fldigi under Windows is the
                          > ability to drag a file into the transmit window. So, in this example,
                          > you could save the note, and rather than right-clicking and selecting
                          > "Insert file", you can just drag the file into the transmit window,
                          > and the text from the file will automatically appear there.
                          >
                          > This is way cool and my preferred method for loading "Wrapped" files
                          > for transmission.
                          >
                          > 73,
                          > Harry Bloomberg W3YJ
                          > hbloomb@...
                          >
                          > On Fri, May 8, 2009 at 1:03 PM, Dick Kriss <aa5vu@...> wrote:
                          >
                          >> Bob W6CP,
                          >>
                          >> No problem on this iMac using OS X 10.5 and fldigi 3.11.4.
                          >>
                          >> I saved your note to the desktop. From fldigi I did a right-click
                          >> on the text pane and selected the "Insert file..." Once found fldigi
                          >> copied the text into the TX pane. It was ready to be sent. Worked
                          >> great!
                          >>
                          >> I then tried saving text from the Rx pane using the same right-click
                          >> option and fldigi saved the text as generic text. I then edited the text
                          >> with Apple's TextEdit and saved it. There was no problem with fldigi
                          >> finding or importing the TextEdit file to the Tx pane.
                          >>
                          >> Thanks for the reminder to use this feature of fldigi
                          >>
                          >> 73 Dick AA5Vu
                          >>
                          >> On Friday5/8/09 11:06 AM, "Bob Snyder" <bob.snyder@...> wrote:
                          >>

                          >>> Frank,
                          >>>
                          >>> One way to do this is to open a new empty file in a text editor, then
                          >>> copy and past the text from fldigi into the editor. Then you can save
                          >>> the file, and open it later from the TX pane of fldigi. Is there any
                          >>> problem doing this with a Mac?
                          >>>
                          >>> Bob W6CP

                        • Harry Bloomberg
                          Message 12 of 17 , May 8, 2009
                            This is a Dell Mini 9 running the factory-installed Ubunbu 8.04.
                            Maybe it's something that was fixed between Ubuntu 8.04 and 8.1?
                            Anyway, it's not that big of a deal as I think I'm the only one in our
                            group running Linux. Most are on Windows and just two (I think) are
                            running Mac.

                            But right-clicking does work, so it's great that there's more than one
                            way to do it (to quote head Perl guy Larry Wall).

                            BTW...the Dell Mini 9 has continued to run Fldigi well. I do a lot of
                            NBEMS demos to various ARES groups and it generate a ton of attention.
                            Hams just can't believe that one can do digital emcomm with such a
                            cheap computer. We've also hacked an OLPC to run Fldigi, and it's
                            also a real attention-getter at demos.

                            73,
                            Harry Bloomberg W3YJ
                            hbloomb@...

                            Message 13 of 17 , May 8, 2009
                              Frank wrote:
                              > Well Ed, for an example last night I was going to send a message and I typed it up and then we had propagation problems. I tried to save it to send later and I could not figure out how to do it. In most applications I would have been able to use the Mac edit functions but with Fldigi running those options are not available.
                              > Frank

                              fldigi Tx panel has mark/bound/cut/paste capability. At least on Linux,
                              Windows and Free BSD. I can't confirm for OS X, but it should work
                              there also. I would suggest that you have your editor running as a
                              second task. Use it for all of your message generation that you think
                              you want to save. Write it to a file and then open the file for
                              transmit from the fldigi Tx panel (right click).

                              Message 14 of 17 , May 8, 2009
                                Frank wrote:
                                > Well Ed, for an example last night I was going to send a message and I typed it up and then we had propagation problems. I tried to save it to send later and I could not figure out how to do it. In most applications I would have been able to use the Mac edit functions but with Fldigi running those options are not available.
                                > Frank

                                OK, my turn. I simply hi-lited the text and copied to the clipboard. I
                                then pasted back from the clipboard using the scroll wheel.

                                I think we have pretty well covered all the bases.

                                Ed W3NR
                              • Mitchel Baum
                                Message 15 of 17 , May 8, 2009
                                  Ed / Group,

                                  I don't have the XML running for the FT-100MP it won't even send to the serial port on my MAC.
                                  I have run the Windows 32 version on my PC and used Hamlib (complied into the package) with good success.
                                  Has anyone compiled the complete Hamlib for OS-X and tarred it up? The compile tools and other needed libraries are not part of the "standard" installation.

                                  I was wondering if anyone had successfully created the binaries and packaged the whole thing up as a .dmg that could be simply placed into the /lib/.... folder?

                                  I have a friend that installed fldigi 3.11.2 for OS-X and he is able to use Hamlib for rig control but does not know how Hamlib got installed. He is not as familiar with Unix as I am, but if he has the libraries installed, we will try to copy the binaries to my machine. Short of this painfull process, is there a repository of the libraries somewhere?

                                  Sorry, but the unix I know is not as restricted as the OS-X user environment. I am good with shell and the terminal, but I don't have the background to compile the "make" file into an install package.

                                  Thanks for any help.

                                  Mitch Baum / AF2M

                                  >> Has anyone been successful in getting the FT1000MP to work with RigCAT (on OS-X)?
                                  >> I can get it to work under Windows with Hamlib, but it refuses to work with the ft1000mp.xml.
                                  >>
                                  >> Has anyone fully implemented fldigi on a MAC under OS-X?
                                  >> I can share my experiences and llimited successes.
                                  >>
                                  >> Mitch Baum / AF2M

                                  Mitch, rig control is pretty much OS independent. You need to either
                                  install Hamlib or post to the group what you have done with the XML.

                                  Its difficult to help someone with so little information.

                                  Ed W3NR

                                • Stelios Bounanos
                                  Message 16 of 17 , May 9, 2009

                                    > Ed / Group,

                                    > I don't have the XML running for the FT-100MP it won't even send to
                                    > the serial port on my MAC. I have run the Windows 32 version on my PC
                                    > and used Hamlib (complied into the package) with good success. Has
                                    > anyone compiled the complete Hamlib for OS-X and tarred it up? The
                                    > compile tools and other needed libraries are not part of the
                                    > "standard" installation.

                                    > I was wondering if anyone had successfully created the binaries and
                                    > packaged the whole thing up as a .dmg that could be simply placed into
                                    > the /lib/.... folder?

                                    The fldigi .dmg file contains a binary that is statically linked with
                                    hamlib. It should work the same as the windows32 version. The latest
                                    version is 3.11.4:

                                    http://prdownload.berlios.de/fldigi/fldigi-3.11.4.dmg

                                    73,
                                    Stelios, M0GLD.
                                  • Mitchel Baum
                                    Message 17 of 17 , May 9, 2009
                                      Hey guys - 3.11.4 Is the the fix! that did it!
                                      I also got rid of the Parallels problems! Trashed the start up extensions.
                                      If anyone wants to know how, just post something here and I'll send details.
                                      I just want to thank you all for the SIGNIFICANT point in the right direction!
                                      BEST 73's for now!

                                      Mitch Baum de AF2M