Autodetect and load Netgear WG511v2 wireless adapter

  • Bruce Sawtelle
    Message 1 of 4 , May 2, 2009
      I recently purchased a NetGear WG511v2 PCMCIA wireless adapter that I use on my laptop that I want to use under Linux (EMCPup with fldigi, etc) and Windows.

      I have a Linksys wireless adapter that I used previously, but the adapter was failing (would not auto select on the right wireless channel. I could go into the configuration utility and manually set the channel and then do "ipconfig /renew", but that gets old...{is anyway to accomplish this in Linux by the way??})

      The Netgear card works fine with Windows, but i can't get it to be recognized when I run the EMCpup CD. The card LED is not coming on like the Linksys card did previously during the EMCpup CD boot.

      I tried loading a couple drivers (had an article that said the prism54 drive should work + tried loading the Windows driver using the ndiswrapper command under the "connect" menu..no success).

      Anyone have experience with this or similar cards?

      tnx es 73
      Bruce -W3NJ
      Message 2 of 4 , May 2, 2009
        Bruce Sawtelle wrote:
        > I recently purchased a NetGear WG511v2 PCMCIA wireless adapter that I use on my laptop that I want to use under Linux (EMCPup with fldigi, etc) and Windows.
        >
        > I have a Linksys wireless adapter that I used previously, but the adapter was failing (would not auto select on the right wireless channel. I could go into the configuration utility and manually set the channel and then do "ipconfig /renew", but that gets old...{is anyway to accomplish this in Linux by the way??})
        >
        > The Netgear card works fine with Windows, but i can't get it to be recognized when I run the EMCpup CD. The card LED is not coming on like the Linksys card did previously during the EMCpup CD boot.
        >
        > I tried loading a couple drivers (had an article that said the prism54 drive should work + tried loading the Windows driver using the ndiswrapper command under the "connect" menu..no success).
        >
        > Anyone have experience with this or similar cards?
        >
        > tnx es 73
        > Bruce -W3NJ

        Is this the how-to you followed ?

        http://puppylinux.org/manuals/puppy-40/english/how-setup-internet-connection/wlan

        Ed W3NR
      • Bruce Sawtelle
        Message 3 of 4 , May 3, 2009
          Hi Ed!

          Yep, I tried that. Since there is no direct driver in the network wizard (I tried the autoprobe across the whole list without success ...sigh!!), tried the ndiswrapper approach based on other puppy linux emails that gave directions in the use of ndiswrapper.

          The card has the Marvell chipset. and the closest I get is "wg511v2...invalid driver" with ndiswrapper. I had the .sys, .inf, .cat, and xp.sys files on the thumbdrive and selected them from there.

          I'm not getting the Netgear PCMCIA card's LED to light like I did with the Linksys card. Don't know if there's a "cardbus init" type command in Linux or not.

          Thanks from the "other" W3Nx call in the group with ties to Erie Penna :-)

          Bruce - W3NJ

          Message 4 of 4 , May 3, 2009
            Bruce Sawtelle wrote:
            > Hi Ed!
            >
            > Yep, I tried that. Since there is no direct driver in the network wizard (I tried the autoprobe across the whole list without success ...sigh!!), tried the ndiswrapper approach based on other puppy linux emails that gave directions in the use of ndiswrapper.
            >
            > The card has the Marvell chipset. and the closest I get is "wg511v2...invalid driver" with ndiswrapper. I had the .sys, .inf, .cat, and xp.sys files on the thumbdrive and selected them from there.

            Which chipset number ? There are drivers out there based on the chipset
            number. From a terminal what does lspci tell you ? is your card listed
            ? Ndiswrapper uses the .inf which is the actual driver.

            > I'm not getting the Netgear PCMCIA card's LED to light like I did with the Linksys card. Don't know if there's a "cardbus init" type command in Linux or not.

            You won't, until the correct driver is loaded.