Re: [linuxham] Missing libhamlib file - Debian "sid"

  • Hamish Moffatt
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 25, 2006
      On Sat, Nov 25, 2006 at 02:27:08PM -0500, w1hkj wrote:
      > I believe that the latest version of Debian (Etch) has the hamlib shared
      > libraries named differently that what you would get from a tarball
      > compile and install. It seems that your bold move is working OK.

      That's true. This is because hamlib's continuous changing of the library
      filename means all of the programs that use the library have to be
      recompiled every time, even if the API is compatible.

      We were fed up with that and fixed it ourselves.

      I could create an official Debian package of fldigi, as I already
      maintain several others. This would be preferable to people trying to
      use precompiled binaries downloaded elsewhere.

      Hamish
      --
      Hamish Moffatt VK3SB <hamish@...> <hamish@...>
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 25, 2006
        Hamish Moffatt wrote:
        On Sat, Nov 25, 2006 at 02:27:08PM -0500, w1hkj wrote:

        I believe that the latest version of Debian (Etch) has the hamlib shared
        libraries named differently that what you would get from a tarball
        compile and install.  It seems that your bold move is working OK.

        That's true. This is because hamlib's continuous changing of the library
        filename means all of the programs that use the library have to be
        recompiled every time, even if the API is compatible.

        We were fed up with that and fixed it ourselves.

        That is why I specified that hamlib-1.2.5 was the preferred lib for the fldigi application.
        I could create an official Debian package of fldigi, as I already
        maintain several others. This would be preferable to people trying to
        use precompiled binaries downloaded elsewhere.

        Hamish

        That is a very generous offer Hamish, and one that I cannot refuse.  I have never created a Debian disto, but have been reading the Wiley, Debian GNU/Linux 3.1 Bible every night trying to learn how.  The present version 1.01 appears to be stable and I have had no reports of any more memory leaks.  You might want to wait a week or two before putting the deb together just to be sure.

        The Ubuntu/Kubuntu ISO does not install the build-essentials by default.  Will that be a problem for those installs?  My original intention with the precompiled binary was to create a Knoppix CD with fldigi and some other ham software on it.  But then I found that the two most recent Kubuntu CD installs would run the binary just fine.  But of course it still needed the hamlib to be available.

        Perhaps you would be willing to share the steps that you take to create the fldigi deb after you have completed it.

        Some of the fldigi code has been reverse engineered back into the gmfsk-hkj code tree.

        Thanks again Hamish.

        73, Dave, W1HKJ

      • mike
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 25, 2006
          <<snip>>

          > Perhaps you would be willing to share the steps that you take to
          > create the fldigi deb after you have completed it.
          <snip>>

          Would be neat to share that with the group too.
          -=Mike=-