Fldigi for Windows

  • Manos Darkadakis
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 2, 2009
      Hello All
      I am trying to work with Fldigi on Windows. Unfortunately I cannot decode either PSK 31, PSK 250 or RTTY. Haven't tried other modes. Funny is that my laptop with a linux puppy live CD, works great! The only difference with the windows version is that I use a MFJ sound card interface behind radio's audio. I have check both installations for setup differences and I can't find anything obvious. Any suugestions anyone?

      Thanks in advance

      Manos SV1IW
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 2, 2009
        Manos Darkadakis wrote:
        > Hello All
        > I am trying to work with Fldigi on Windows. Unfortunately I cannot decode either PSK 31, PSK 250 or RTTY. Haven't tried other modes. Funny is that my laptop with a linux puppy live CD, works great! The only difference with the windows version is that I use a MFJ sound card interface behind radio's audio. I have check both installations for setup differences and I can't find anything obvious. Any suugestions anyone?
        >
        > Thanks in advance
        >
        > Manos SV1IW

        Manos, can you verify that the MFJ interface is definitely working
        correctly ? If not can you provide a straight cable from the audio out
        of the rig to the line-in on the sound card ?

        I looked at the instructions for the MFJ unit and its another of those
        confounded ones that use internal jumpers.

        I would like to make sure that the MFJ unit is working correctly first.

        Are you sure you have picked the right sound card, in case you have more
        than 1 ?

        Open the Windows sound manager and check all the options and move the
        sliders to full. Sometimes there is a "hidden" one that needs to be
        activated.

        Make sure you have "Native" selected in fldigi.

        There really isn't much in fldigi itself to get the sound set up
        working. Double check that you have selected the correct input, either
        mic or line-in, with line-in being preferred.

        Ed W3NR
      • Manos Darkadakis
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 2, 2009
          Hello Ed and thanks for the reply. There is something srange going on here. The MFJ interface works well under Digipan, MMTTY etc. I use it for 3 years now. Tonight I got suspicious and when I switched to Fldigi I put also monitor on my IC-756 PROII to listen to the sound I send. The sound I transmited was different, I tried psk31, rtty which definately I can recognize well since I started working back in 1980, and this is not the familiar sound we all know. Very confusing but makes sense!
          Tommorow I will install the software on the laptop and I will try to see if it makes any difference on it. I have already tried the direct cable from the soundcard to the radio, no luck. On the main pc I have a second sound card which I only use for skype. Will try this one also. I will try to update tomorrow

          73 Manos SV1IW

          > Manos Darkadakis wrote:
          > > Hello All
          > > I am trying to work with Fldigi on Windows. Unfortunately I cannot decode either PSK 31, PSK 250 or RTTY. Haven't tried other modes. Funny is that my laptop with a linux puppy live CD, works great! The only difference with the windows version is that I use a MFJ sound card interface behind radio's audio. I have check both installations for setup differences and I can't find anything obvious. Any suugestions anyone?
          > >
          > > Thanks in advance
          > >
          > > Manos SV1IW
          > >

          > Manos, can you verify that the MFJ interface is definitely working
          > correctly ? If not can you provide a straight cable from the audio out
          > of the rig to the line-in on the sound card ?
          >
          > I looked at the instructions for the MFJ unit and its another of those
          > confounded ones that use internal jumpers.
          >
          > I would like to make sure that the MFJ unit is working correctly first.
          >
          > Are you sure you have picked the right sound card, in case you have more
          > than 1 ?
          >
          > Open the Windows sound manager and check all the options and move the
          > sliders to full. Sometimes there is a "hidden" one that needs to be
          > activated.
          >
          > Make sure you have "Native" selected in fldigi.
          >
          > There really isn't much in fldigi itself to get the sound set up
          > working. Double check that you have selected the correct input, either
          > mic or line-in, with line-in being preferred.
          >

          > Ed W3NR

        • Manos Darkadakis
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 2, 2009

            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 2, 2009
              Manos Darkadakis wrote:
              > Hello Ed and thanks for the reply. There is something srange going on here. The MFJ interface works well under Digipan, MMTTY etc. I use it for 3 years now. Tonight I got suspicious and when I switched to Fldigi I put also monitor on my IC-756 PROII to listen to the sound I send. The sound I transmited was different, I tried psk31, rtty which definately I can recognize well since I started working back in 1980, and this is not the familiar sound we all know. Very confusing but makes sense!
              > Tommorow I will install the software on the laptop and I will try to see if it makes any difference on it. I have already tried the direct cable from the soundcard to the radio, no luck. On the main pc I have a second sound card which I only use for skype. Will try this one also. I will try to update tomorrow
              >
              > 73 Manos SV1IW

              I know it is getting late for you Manos, so hopefully you can get to
              this in the morning.

              I *think* the problem may be in the sample rate for the sound card.

              I would like you to start with the "Native" selection in fldigi, if you
              still have no RX and the TX does not sound right, then move one at a
              time to the next sample rate, going down. The changes take effect
              immediately so there is no reason to restart fldigi.

              Hopefuly this will clear up the problem for you.

              Keep us up to date.

              Ed W3NR
            • Russell Blair
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 2, 2009
                Manos, I justed installed fldigi in windows XP SP3, I could not get Rx audio to work, unitll I put the Sample rate to 96000 on the Capture and Playback, my sound card was a SB Live, I went back to "Native" and the audio stopped working, so I put it back to 96000 and all is well it works fine so, try some of the sample rates in the setting for the soundcard and see if can get some audio to work.

                Russell NC5O

                Yesterday is HISTORY. Tomorrow is a MYSTERY. Today is a GIFT! Thats why its called the PRESENT!

                " IN GOD WE TRUST "

                Russell Blair (NC5O)
                Skype-Russell.Blair
                Hell Field #300
                DRCC #55
                30m Dig-group #693

                --- In linuxham@yahoogroup s.com, Ed <autek@...> wrote:

                > Manos Darkadakis wrote:
                > > Hello All
                > > I am trying to work with Fldigi on Windows. Unfortunately I cannot decode either PSK 31, PSK 250 or RTTY. Haven't tried other modes. Funny is that my laptop with a linux puppy live CD, works great! The only difference with the windows version is that I use a MFJ sound card interface behind radio's audio. I have check both installations for setup differences and I can't find anything obvious. Any suugestions anyone?
                > >
                > > Thanks in advance
                > >
                > > Manos SV1IW
                > >

                > Manos, can you verify that the MFJ interface is definitely working
                > correctly ? If not can you provide a straight cable from the audio out
                > of the rig to the line-in on the sound card ?
                >
                > I looked at the instructions for the MFJ unit and its another of those
                > confounded ones that use internal jumpers.
                >
                > I would like to make sure that the MFJ unit is working correctly first.
                >
                > Are you sure you have picked the right sound card, in case you have more
                > than 1 ?
                >
                > Open the Windows sound manager and check all the options and move the
                > sliders to full. Sometimes there is a "hidden" one that needs to be
                > activated.
                >
                > Make sure you have "Native" selected in fldigi.
                >
                > There really isn't much in fldigi itself to get the sound set up
                > working. Double check that you have selected the correct input, either
                > mic or line-in, with line-in being preferred.
                >

                > Ed W3NR

              • David A. Hammond
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 3, 2009
                  Gentlemen: would you please inform the users group to delete david hammond from your addressee list. He passed away March 17. thank you
                  Marlene Hammond

> [...]
                  > cable from the audio out
                  > > of the rig to the line-in on the sound card ?
                  > >
                  > > I looked at the instructions for the MFJ unit
                  > and its another of those
                  > > confounded ones that use internal jumpers.
                  > >
                  > > I would like to make sure that the MFJ unit is
                  > working correctly first.
                  > >
                  > > Are you sure you have picked the right sound
                  > card, in case you have more
                  > > than 1 ?
                  > >
                  > > Open the Windows sound manager and check all the
                  > options and move the
                  > > sliders to full. Sometimes there is a "hidden"
                  > one that needs to be
                  > > activated.
                  > >
                  > > Make sure you have "Native" selected in fldigi.
                  > >
                  > > There really isn't much in fldigi itself to get
                  > the sound set up
                  > > working. Double check that you have selected the
                  > correct input, either
                  > > mic or line-in, with line-in being preferred.

                • Manos Darkadakis
                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 3, 2009
                    Hello Ed, All

                    Problem solved! It was the sample rate of the card, one step down from "native" was enough to bring things back to normal.
                    Godd guess Ed, thanks

                    73 Manos SV1IW

                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 3, 2009
                      Manos Darkadakis wrote:
                      > Hello Ed, All
                      >
                      > Problem solved! It was the sample rate of the card, one step down from "native" was enough to bring things back to normal.
                      > Godd guess Ed, thanks
                      >
                      > 73 Manos SV1IW

                      You are welcome Manos.

                      Ed W3NR
                    • Manos Darkadakis
                      Message 10 of 10 , Apr 4, 2009
                        Hello Russel and thanks for the message. Yes I can copy now ok one step above and one step below the native values. Still find it difficult to decode BPSK 250 this morning on 30M. Waiting for the evening so signals get a bit better,
                        Thanks again Manos SV1IW