Re: [linuxham] Missing libhamlib file - Debian "sid"

    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 25, 2006
      ae5k_list wrote:

      >I tried downloading and installing the latest ver. 1.01 of fldigi and
      >I was getting the message:
      >
      >"./fldigi: error while loading shared libraries: libhamlib-1.2.5.so.2:
      >cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory"
      >
      >when I tried to execute the program.
      >
      >I believe I followed instructions, but I may have missed something, OR
      >more importantly, I am using a version of Debian (latest "sid" with
      >2.6.18-1-686 kernel) that is not compatible with your compiled binaries.
      >
      >Here are some details of my installation:
      >
      >Debian package "libhamlib2" version 1.2.5-7.1 is installed.
      >
      >Doing a "locate" it appears the only versions of libhamlib found are:
      >lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 18 2006-10-28 11:16 libhamlib.so.2 ->
      >libhamlib.so.2.0.4
      >-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 98416 2006-10-26 19:25 libhamlib.so.2.0.4
      >
      >This is consistent with what the package says the installed files are
      >for version 1.2.5-7.1
      >
      >I then decided to be daring a created a link:
      >libhamlib-1.2.5.so.2 -> libhamlib.so.2.0.4
      >and it appears that fldigi 1.01 works!

      I believe that the latest version of Debian (Etch) has the hamlib shared
      libraries named differently that what you would get from a tarball
      compile and install. It seems that your bold move is working OK.
      Actually you could have created a similar link to a 1.2.4 installation
      of the hamlib shared libraries and it probably would work. The newer
      hamlib libraries include some updates to the various transceivers supported.

      >At least I tried several modes
      >and they all sounded good to the ear -- without hooking up to rig.

      The change in the lib should have no effect on anything other than
      accessing the transceiver for PTT, FREQ and QSY functions.

      >Will try on air this evening when I have more time.
      >
      >Thanks for the great effort/program!

      You're welcome Don.

      Dave, W1HKJ
    • Hamish Moffatt
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 25, 2006
        On Sat, Nov 25, 2006 at 02:27:08PM -0500, w1hkj wrote:
        > I believe that the latest version of Debian (Etch) has the hamlib shared
        > libraries named differently that what you would get from a tarball
        > compile and install. It seems that your bold move is working OK.

        That's true. This is because hamlib's continuous changing of the library
        filename means all of the programs that use the library have to be
        recompiled every time, even if the API is compatible.

        We were fed up with that and fixed it ourselves.

        I could create an official Debian package of fldigi, as I already
        maintain several others. This would be preferable to people trying to
        use precompiled binaries downloaded elsewhere.

        Hamish
        --
        Hamish Moffatt VK3SB <hamish@...> <hamish@...>
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 25, 2006
          Hamish Moffatt wrote:
          On Sat, Nov 25, 2006 at 02:27:08PM -0500, w1hkj wrote:

          I believe that the latest version of Debian (Etch) has the hamlib shared
          libraries named differently that what you would get from a tarball
          compile and install.  It seems that your bold move is working OK.

          That's true. This is because hamlib's continuous changing of the library
          filename means all of the programs that use the library have to be
          recompiled every time, even if the API is compatible.

          We were fed up with that and fixed it ourselves.

          That is why I specified that hamlib-1.2.5 was the preferred lib for the fldigi application.
          I could create an official Debian package of fldigi, as I already
          maintain several others. This would be preferable to people trying to
          use precompiled binaries downloaded elsewhere.

          Hamish

          That is a very generous offer Hamish, and one that I cannot refuse.  I have never created a Debian disto, but have been reading the Wiley, Debian GNU/Linux 3.1 Bible every night trying to learn how.  The present version 1.01 appears to be stable and I have had no reports of any more memory leaks.  You might want to wait a week or two before putting the deb together just to be sure.

          The Ubuntu/Kubuntu ISO does not install the build-essentials by default.  Will that be a problem for those installs?  My original intention with the precompiled binary was to create a Knoppix CD with fldigi and some other ham software on it.  But then I found that the two most recent Kubuntu CD installs would run the binary just fine.  But of course it still needed the hamlib to be available.

          Perhaps you would be willing to share the steps that you take to create the fldigi deb after you have completed it.

          Some of the fldigi code has been reverse engineered back into the gmfsk-hkj code tree.

          Thanks again Hamish.

          73, Dave, W1HKJ

        • mike
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 25, 2006
            <<snip>>

            > Perhaps you would be willing to share the steps that you take to
            > create the fldigi deb after you have completed it.
            <snip>>

            Would be neat to share that with the group too.
            -=Mike=-