Re: [linuxham] Another bonehead install question!

  • roger g6ckr
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 29, 2009
      On re-reading I noticed you did a cd to the downloads directory but then
      had /downloads/ as part or your string I think that may not be helping.
      if you are in same directory as the file you only need the file name
      apart from the command you are trying the execute on it of course.
      The other thought is does the binary run on a 64 bit system theses days?
      but that's for later when you get that far.
      Take note of Dave's reply in case you had already extracted the file.
      73 Roger
      G6CKR

      On Sun, 2009-03-29 at 08:43 +0100, roger g6ckr wrote:
      > You could try double clicking and extracting that way.
      > That should get you a bit further down the road.
      > 73 Roger
      > G6CKR
      > On Sun, 2009-03-29 at 06:57 +0000, Stu Bryant wrote:
      > > Hey gang,
      > >
      > > I've really been enjoying the previous version of fldigi running under 64 bit Intrepid. Gotten my feet wet and had a lot of fun. But I am interested in THOR & generally like to keep fairly current thus wish to install fldigi 3.10. Try as I might I keep getting told that there is no such file or directory- yet it is there right in front of me! So my question I imagine boils down to a simple protocol question I keep missing the answer to because I am still a linux rookie and blind to my error. Of course missing the answer is remarkably easy when you're not quite sure what the question should be! :-)
      > >
      > > My home folder is /home/AF6IT (AF6IT is my user profile's name on this drive- and I do have other profiles for the kids so they too can experience the novelty of sane computing) Within /home/AF6IT I have made folders for Downloads and fldigi. The blue diamond tarball is sitting in Downloads. When I go to terminal it shows the prompt "af6it@af6it-ubuntu64:~$" I cd to Downloads. So far I *THINK* I am following directions as outlined- I get "af6it@af6it-ubuntu64:~/Downloads$" I then try to tar xzf or xvzf "tar xzf ../Downloads/fldigi-3.10.npa.fldigi.tgz" and am told:
      > > "tar: ../Downloads/fldigi-3.10.npa.fldigi/tgz: Cannot open: No such file or directory
      > > tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
      > > tar: Child returned status 2
      > > tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors"
      > >
      > > I note that the tarball is named fldigi without version number. So I tried leaving that out but it makes no difference. Anyone see what I'm doing wrong? I'll be grateful for advice! This is bigger than getting the current version going; I really want to learn how to install things not found in Synaptic. I'm really liking Ubuntu and feel compelled to get to know it better. I've looked through the Ubuntu help files and browsed for help with the tar command, but I have a feeling the problem might be more basic than which switches to insert in the command line. Sorry this post is so long.
      > >
      > > 73 de Stu AF6IT

    • Roy G. Jackson
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 29, 2009
        Stu,
        I am certainly no Linux expert. I have lots of trouble doing things
        myself. I do go back
        to the DOS days with computers, though. That helps me a bit
        understanding directory
        structures. Others have already given you some advice to try. Looking at
        your command
        lines, it appears to me that you are already in the Downloads folder.
        You are then telling
        the tar command to look for your file in ../Downloads/...
        That would make the program look for a folder named "Downloads" in the
        "Downloads"
        folder. Try the command without the directory name and see if it flies.
        Good luck.

        Roy N9RG in sunny Naples, Florida

        Stu Bryant wrote:

        > Hey gang,
        >
        > I've really been enjoying the previous version of fldigi running under
        > 64 bit Intrepid. Gotten my feet wet and had a lot of fun. But I am
        > interested in THOR & generally like to keep fairly current thus wish
        > to install fldigi 3.10. Try as I might I keep getting told that there
        > is no such file or directory- yet it is there right in front of me! So
        > my question I imagine boils down to a simple protocol question I keep
        > missing the answer to because I am still a linux rookie and blind to
        > my error. Of course missing the answer is remarkably easy when you're
        > not quite sure what the question should be! :-)
        >
        > My home folder is /home/AF6IT (AF6IT is my user profile's name on this
        > drive- and I do have other profiles for the kids so they too can
        > experience the novelty of sane computing) Within /home/AF6IT I have
        > made folders for Downloads and fldigi. The blue diamond tarball is
        > sitting in Downloads. When I go to terminal it shows the prompt
        > "af6it@af6it-ubuntu64:~$" I cd to Downloads. So far I *THINK* I am
        > following directions as outlined- I get
        > "af6it@af6it-ubuntu64:~/Downloads$" I then try to tar xzf or xvzf "tar
        > xzf ../Downloads/fldigi-3.10.npa.fldigi.tgz" and am told:
        > "tar: ../Downloads/fldigi-3.10.npa.fldigi/tgz: Cannot open: No such
        > file or directory
        > tar: Child returned status 2
        > tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors"
        >
        > I note that the tarball is named fldigi without version number. So I
        > tried leaving that out but it makes no difference. Anyone see what I'm
        > doing wrong? I'll be grateful for advice! This is bigger than getting
        > the current version going; I really want to learn how to install
        > things not found in Synaptic. I'm really liking Ubuntu and feel
        > compelled to get to know it better. I've looked through the Ubuntu
        > help files and browsed for help with the tar command, but I have a
        > feeling the problem might be more basic than which switches to insert
        > in the command line. Sorry this post is so long.
        >
        > 73 de Stu AF6IT

        Roy G. Jackson N9RG
        Naples, Florida USA
        n9rg@...
      • rich
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 29, 2009
          You seem to be making the same mistake I made. In linux the "path" does not include the directory you are looking at. You must tell your linux to execute the file "in front of my eyes" by putting the specifier "./" in front of the name of the executable. You may google the linux command line guide, as I did and after reading it several times things will begin to clear up.

          Rich
          WA4SXZ

          --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, "Stu Bryant" <af6it@...> wrote:

          > Hey gang,
          >
          > I've really been enjoying the previous version of fldigi running under 64 bit Intrepid. Gotten my feet wet and had a lot of fun. But I am interested in THOR & generally like to keep fairly current thus wish to install fldigi 3.10. Try as I might I keep getting told that there is no such file or directory- yet it is there right in front of me! So my question I imagine boils down to a simple protocol question I keep missing the answer to because I am still a linux rookie and blind to my error. Of course missing the answer is remarkably easy when you're not quite sure what the question should be! :-)
          >
          > My home folder is /home/AF6IT (AF6IT is my user profile's name on this drive- and I do have other profiles for the kids so they too can experience the novelty of sane computing) Within /home/AF6IT I have made folders for Downloads and fldigi. The blue diamond tarball is sitting in Downloads. When I go to terminal it shows the prompt "af6it@af6it-ubuntu64:~$" I cd to Downloads. So far I *THINK* I am following directions as outlined- I get "af6it@af6it-ubuntu64:~/Downloads$" I then try to tar xzf or xvzf "tar xzf ../Downloads/fldigi-3.10.npa.fldigi.tgz" and am told:
          > "tar: ../Downloads/fldigi-3.10.npa.fldigi/tgz: Cannot open: No such file or directory
          > tar: Child returned status 2
          > tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors"
          >
          > I note that the tarball is named fldigi without version number. So I tried leaving that out but it makes no difference. Anyone see what I'm doing wrong? I'll be grateful for advice! This is bigger than getting the current version going; I really want to learn how to install things not found in Synaptic. I'm really liking Ubuntu and feel compelled to get to know it better. I've looked through the Ubuntu help files and browsed for help with the tar command, but I have a feeling the problem might be more basic than which switches to insert in the command line. Sorry this post is so long.
          >
          > 73 de Stu AF6IT

        • Stelios Bounanos
          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 29, 2009

            > Hey gang,

            > I've really been enjoying the previous version of fldigi running under 64 bit
            > Intrepid. Gotten my feet wet and had a lot of fun. But I am interested in THOR
            > & generally like to keep fairly current thus wish to install fldigi 3.10. Try
            > as I might I keep getting told that there is no such file or directory- yet it
            > is there right in front of me!

            [snip]

            The fldigi-3.10 Linux binary from www.w1hkj.com is 32-bit. It will
            (generally) not run on a 64-bit Ubuntu system.

            It's fairly easy to compile fldigi from source because all the build
            dependencies are packaged in the Ubuntu repositories -- let us know if
            you are interested in doing this.

            73,
            Stelios, M0GLD.
            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 29, 2009
              Guess I'll add my thoughts here. I'm not a Linux expert, but I play one
              on TV.

              In Firefox under preferences you can set where you want downloads to go.
              I don't use a download folder, basically because then you have to move
              the downloaded file or it gets extracted in your download folder. I just
              have it sent to /home and extract it from there. The easiest way to
              extract a tarball in Nautilus is to right click and choose the Extract
              Here option.

              I also have a /home/ed/bin and use that for fldigi as well as a few
              others that don't place the executable in /usr/local. Ubuntu is already
              configured to look for a /home/<user>/bin. This does away with the
              cumbersome cd to the folder and using the ./<executable> to start the app.

              As Dave and Roger already pointed out, the blue diamond is the
              executable, so somewhere along the line you alreay have un-tarred fldigi.

              I would recommend installing 2 utlities to Nautilus, both are available
              via Synaptic ::

              nautilus-gksu...this allows you to open the current folder as
              root/superuser........be careful what you do with this

              nautilus-open-terminal...this allows you to open the current folder in a
              terminal......saves an extra step or 2.

              Both of these once installed are available via a right click.

              Follow Dave's advice...buy the book, usually can be found at Amazon.

              Ed W3NR
            • Bob Nielsen
              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 29, 2009
                True, but in this case the executable is "tar", which is clearly not
                in the current directory. Using "tar xvf ../Downloads/" is the same
                as just using tar, since ../takes you up a directory and then it goes
                back into Downloads. Running "ls -al" will show the contents of the
                directory and you can tell from the result whether they are files,
                directories or symbolic links.

                Bob, N7XY

                On Mar 29, 2009, at 3:46 AM, rich wrote:

                > You seem to be making the same mistake I made. In linux the "path"
                > does not include the directory you are looking at. You must tell
                > your linux to execute the file "in front of my eyes" by putting the
                > specifier "./" in front of the name of the executable. You may
                > google the linux command line guide, as I did and after reading it
                > several times things will begin to clear up.
                >
                > Rich
                > WA4SXZ
                >
                > --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, "Stu Bryant" <af6it@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > Hey gang,
                > >
                > > I've really been enjoying the previous version of fldigi running
                > under 64 bit Intrepid. Gotten my feet wet and had a lot of fun. But
                > I am interested in THOR & generally like to keep fairly current
                > thus wish to install fldigi 3.10. Try as I might I keep getting
                > told that there is no such file or directory- yet it is there right
                > in front of me! So my question I imagine boils down to a simple
                > protocol question I keep missing the answer to because I am still a
                > linux rookie and blind to my error. Of course missing the answer is
                > remarkably easy when you're not quite sure what the question should
                > be! :-)
                > >
                > > My home folder is /home/AF6IT (AF6IT is my user profile's name on
                > this drive- and I do have other profiles for the kids so they too
                > can experience the novelty of sane computing) Within /home/AF6IT I
                > have made folders for Downloads and fldigi. The blue diamond
                > tarball is sitting in Downloads. When I go to terminal it shows the
                > prompt "af6it@af6it-ubuntu64:~$" I cd to Downloads. So far I
                > *THINK* I am following directions as outlined- I get "af6it@af6it-
                > ubuntu64:~/Downloads$" I then try to tar xzf or xvzf "tar xzf ../
                > Downloads/fldigi-3.10.npa.fldigi.tgz" and am told:
                > > "tar: ../Downloads/fldigi-3.10.npa.fldigi/tgz: Cannot open: No
                > such file or directory
                > > tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
                > > tar: Child returned status 2
                > > tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors"
                > >
                > > I note that the tarball is named fldigi without version number.
                > So I tried leaving that out but it makes no difference. Anyone see
                > what I'm doing wrong? I'll be grateful for advice! This is bigger
                > than getting the current version going; I really want to learn how
                > to install things not found in Synaptic. I'm really liking Ubuntu
                > and feel compelled to get to know it better. I've looked through
                > the Ubuntu help files and browsed for help with the tar command,
                > but I have a feeling the problem might be more basic than which
                > switches to insert in the command line. Sorry this post is so long.
                > >
                > > 73 de Stu AF6IT

              • Stu Bryant
                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 29, 2009
                  Wow! Amazingly quick and helpful info- can't wait until I get a chance to digest & try it all! Thank you, everyone!

                  Stelios, I was using the iteration available via Synaptic and it works perfectly, so I didn't imagine 64 bit should be an issue- but then again not being able to see the problem I am overlooking is why I asked! Synaptic is such and extremely convenient method when they have what I want.

                  Is my 'blue diamond' an executable? It says so in 'properties', yet it absolutely refuses to get opened! Click, right click & open, etc.- no joy. I had been following the Install instructions as literally as I possibly could- the danger in that is that I only understand the significance of at best half of what I am doing when it comes to command line. I actually had considered the issue with being in what directory given the error message thus tried several variations, none of which made any difference so far. Yes, I had unpacked it already, but the instructions I so 'literally' followed say to unpack it to the suggested directory then do the command line tar thing which indeed should unpack it again... as if this was necessary? Anyway I will review each message a couple more times; I have little doubt that I will stumble upon the needed wisdom in there somewhere. Even if I must compile I WILL eventually get this going! And yes the Ubuntu bible sounds like an excellent idea! I care for a hundred or so PC's running XP at work; I find Linux refreshing at home! And FlDigi has the perfect balance of features without unnecessary clutter. Have to love Open Source- where the VERY best quality software is usually free! And world class user support is found in the forums just like here...

                  Again, thanks all! I'll try in the middle of the week to report back with a report of ultimate success or else further questions.

                  73, Stu AF6IT

                  Message 8 of 16 , Mar 29, 2009
                    Stu Bryant wrote:
                    > Wow! Amazingly quick and helpful info- can't wait until I get a chance to digest & try it all! Thank you, everyone!
                    >
                    > Stelios, I was using the iteration available via Synaptic and it works perfectly, so I didn't imagine 64 bit should be an issue- but then again not being able to see the problem I am overlooking is why I asked! Synaptic is such and extremely convenient method when they have what I want.
                    >
                    > Is my 'blue diamond' an executable? It says so in 'properties', yet it absolutely refuses to get opened! Click, right click & open, etc.- no joy. I had been following the Install instructions as literally as I possibly could- the danger in that is that I only understand the significance of at best half of what I am doing when it comes to command line. I actually had considered the issue with being in what directory given the error message thus tried several variations, none of which made any difference so far. Yes, I had unpacked it already, but the instructions I so 'literally' followed say to unpack it to the suggested directory then do the command line tar thing which indeed should unpack it again... as if this was necessary? Anyway I will review each message a couple more times; I have little doubt that I will stumble upon the needed wisdom in there somewhere. Even if I must compile I WILL eventually get this going! And yes the Ubuntu bible sounds like an excellent id
                    ea! I care for a hundred or so PC's running XP at work; I find Linux refreshing at home! And FlDigi has the perfect balance of features without unnecessary clutter. Have to love Open Source- where the VERY best quality software is usually free! And world class user support is found in the forums just like here...

                    > Again, thanks all! I'll try in the middle of the week to report back with a report of ultimate success or else further questions.
                    >
                    > 73, Stu AF6IT

                    Stu, open a terminal in the folder the fldigi executable (blue diamond)
                    lives in. At the prompt enter this ::

                    ./fldigi

                    Ed W3NR
                  • rich
                    Message 9 of 16 , Mar 29, 2009
                      When you have time, open a terminal window in the same directory with the fldigi executable, and type:

                      ldd fldigi

                      This should give you a list of the fldigi dependencies. Check each line to be sure none are listed as 'not found'. If anything is missing post the information here.

                      Message 10 of 16 , Mar 29, 2009

                        > Stelios, I was using the iteration available via Synaptic and it works
                        > perfectly, so I didn't imagine 64 bit should be an issue- but then again not
                        > being able to see the problem I am overlooking is why I asked! Synaptic is
                        > such and extremely convenient method when they have what I want.

                        The version of fldigi available from Ubuntu via Synaptic will be either
                        32 or 64-bit, depending on which variant of Ubuntu you have installed.
                        The binary that you can find on www.w1hkj.com is 32-bit only.

                        32-bit binaries do not run on a 64-bit system unless that system has
                        32-bit compatibilty in the kernel (I'm sure Ubuntu does) and also in
                        userspace, in the form of various 32-bit libraries. IIRC, Ubuntu has
                        *some* 32-bit libraries; enough to install things like the 32-bit flash
                        plugin or other similar non-free things that users sometimes depend on.
                        But I'm pretty sure that it does not have 32-bit versions of all the
                        libraries that you need to run a 32-bit fldigi.

                        In fact, that would make little sense because Ubuntu can build native
                        64-bit versions of nearly all its packages, which are Free software,
                        fldigi included. So here is how to build an fldigi binary on your
                        system.

                        First you need to install the build dependencies, then download and
                        compile the fldigi source, and finally install the binary. You should
                        remove the fldigi Ubuntu package first to avoid confusion.

                        1) The build dependecies of fldigi-2.10.3 as found in Ubuntu are listed
                        here:

                        http://packages.ubuntu.com/source/intrepid/fldigi

                        The same packages are also sufficient to build fldigi-3.10. You can
                        manually install them via Synaptic, all request them all at once by
                        typing this command in a terminal:

                        sudo apt-get build-dep fldigi

                        (This will ask for your password and apt-get will probably also
                        prompt you to confirm the installation).

                        2) Download, build and install fldigi-3.10. Some of this can be done with
                        graphical programs; I use terminal commands here for brevity:

                        mkdir src
                        cd src
                        wget http://www.w1hkj.com/fldigi-distro/fldigi-3.10.tar.gz
                        tar zxf fldigi-3.10.tar.gz
                        cd fldigi-3.10
                        ./configure
                        make
                        sudo make install

                        The last command copies the binary, icon, and desktop launcher to /usr/local.
                        Specifically:

                        /usr/local/bin/fldigi (binary)
                        /usr/local/share/pixmaps/fldigi.xpm (icon)
                        /usr/local/share/applications/fldigi.desktop (launcher)

                        If you keep the fldigi-3.10 directory that you built from, you can later
                        reenter that directory and run "sudo make uninstall" to remove the
                        installed files. The are also ways to create a Debian package out of
                        these files, e.g. with something like checkinstall.

                        The binary can then be run from the terminal or via the icon that will
                        have appeared in your applications menu.

                        NOTE: this is my recommended way of installing fldigi from source, but
                        you can always copy the binary (found in ..../fldigi-3.10/src/fldigi)
                        wherever you want to and run it directly the file manager, or make your
                        own launcher in the panel.

                        Whichever method you choose, you can use the same one in the future to
                        stay up to date with new releases. I'm afraid that until we (or others)
                        are able to provide 64-bit binaries for the latest version, users will
                        have to build from source or use an older version from the repositories.

                        73,
                        Stelios, M0GLD.
                        Message 11 of 16 , Mar 29, 2009
                          Stelios Bounanos wrote:

> [...]
                          > reenter that directory and run "sudo make uninstall" to remove the
                          > installed files. The are also ways to create a Debian package out of
                          > these files, e.g. with something like checkinstall.
                          >
                          > The binary can then be run from the terminal or via the icon that will
                          > have appeared in your applications menu.
                          >
                          > NOTE: this is my recommended way of installing fldigi from source, but
                          > you can always copy the binary (found in ..../fldigi-3.10/src/fldigi)
                          > wherever you want to and run it directly the file manager, or make your
                          > own launcher in the panel.
                          >
                          > Whichever method you choose, you can use the same one in the future to
                          > stay up to date with new releases. I'm afraid that until we (or others)
                          > are able to provide 64-bit binaries for the latest version, users will
                          > have to build from source or use an older version from the repositories.

                          Excellent tutorial Stelios......excellent.

                          Ed W3NR
                        • rich
                          Message 12 of 16 , Mar 29, 2009
                            Ed, can you post this to the files section as a build tutorial?

                            Much like Dr McCoy, I will begin forgetting before getting Spock's brain reconnected...

                            Rich
                            WA4SXZ

> [...]
                            > > these files, e.g. with something like checkinstall.
                            > >
                            > > The binary can then be run from the terminal or via the icon that will
                            > > have appeared in your applications menu.
                            > >
                            > > NOTE: this is my recommended way of installing fldigi from source, but
                            > > you can always copy the binary (found in ..../fldigi-3.10/src/fldigi)
                            > > wherever you want to and run it directly the file manager, or make your
                            > > own launcher in the panel.
                            > >
                            > > Whichever method you choose, you can use the same one in the future to
                            > > stay up to date with new releases. I'm afraid that until we (or others)
                            > > are able to provide 64-bit binaries for the latest version, users will
                            > > have to build from source or use an older version from the repositories.
                            > >

                            > > 73,
                            > > Stelios, M0GLD.
                            > >

                            > Excellent tutorial Stelios......excellent.

                          • Stu Bryant
                            Message 13 of 16 , Apr 4, 2009
                              Thanks again for Stelios guiding me through the process of compiling FlDigi for 64 bit Ubuntu! It was quite painless thanks to the excellent instructions given, and am glad to see they were made available to the group as a file- yes they are that useful!

                              I really enjoy Linux though have much to learn, but I mean it when I say that what for me is the finest OS and the perfect ham radio software would not be nearly as sweet without the truly world class support system right here. I can hardly imagine the hours which went into creating & maintaining FlDigi, but they are appreciated, folks!!!

                              Just had a nice QSO on 30m with 3.10, and other than forgetting to verify my macros it was absolutely flawless. Again, thank you all who make this possible, and particularly to Stelios for the patient yet expert advice!

                              73 de Stu AF6IT