Re: [linuxham] Fldigi 1.0 posted

    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 23, 2006
      Michael Heim wrote:

      > Downloaded the fldigi 1.0 static and its running great in the Debian
      > Etch distro.

      That is cool! Ed had some problems getting fldigi compiled and running
      on Etch.

      Dave
    • Tehrasha Darkon
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 23, 2006

        > This is the first stable release of fldigi, Fast Light DIGItal modem
        > program, for Linux.

        Compiled without trouble on Ubuntu 6.10. and appears to be operating
        perfectly. Though I have not tried all of the modes yet.

        The only thing I have noticed that seemed odd is that you cannot
        select the received text to cut&paste it into anything else. Is this
        intentional, or just an oversight?

        If fldigi did FAX and SSTV, it would be the only program I would ever
        have to use. :)

        --Teh
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 23, 2006
          Tehrasha Darkon wrote:

          This is the first stable release of fldigi, Fast Light DIGItal modem
          program, for Linux.

          Compiled without trouble on Ubuntu 6.10. and appears to be operating
          perfectly.
          Thank you for that report.  I have not tried the 6.10 release of either Ubuntu or Kubuntu yet.
          The only thing I have noticed that seemed odd is that you cannot
          select the received text to cut&paste it into anything else.  Is this
          intentional, or just an oversight?

          For the moment this is intentional.  The text widget is a special widget writen specifically for fldigi.  I will probably add that capability in a future release.  For now, you can of course enable the log to file functionon the "Files" menu.  That will save both incoming and outgoing text to a text file in the $HOME/.fldigi directory.
          If fldigi did FAX and SSTV, it would be the only program I would ever
          have to use. :)

          Both are within the realm of the possible, but not on the programmer's to-do list.  There are some very good Linux programs that allow you to work in both of these mode.

          Thanks for the Ubuntu 6.10 report.

          Dave, W1HKJ

        • comcast
          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 23, 2006

            Can someone running Fldigi under Ubuntu clue me in as to how to configure sound card and USB ports. Thanks

            Rod

            rwhart@..._,___

          • Tehrasha Darkon
            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 24, 2006
              --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, "comcast" <rwhart@...> wrote:

              > Can someone running Fldigi under Ubuntu clue me in as to how to
              configure
              > sound card and USB ports. Thanks

              Are you talking about a USB sound card, a USB->Serial rig controller,
              or what?

              --Teh
              Message 6 of 13 , Nov 24, 2006
                comcast wrote:
                > Can someone running Fldigi under Ubuntu clue me in as to how to configure
                > sound card and USB ports. Thanks
                >

                > Rod
                >
                > rwhart@..._,___

                Rod, we need a little more information to be able to help. Unless you
                have some odd hardware Ubuntu should have found and installed the
                correct drivers for both

                Ed W3NR
              • comcast
                Message 7 of 13 , Nov 24, 2006

                  I am using a couple RS USB converters and the Creative USB sound board. This configuration is use on ALE and PSK. I use a Belkin USB switch to move the ports around between two XP and one Linux systems. What I need is the Device names that Ubuntu assign to USB devices. I suppose I could check the startup log to get this info. I just thought I could save myself some time. Thanks!

                  Rod Hart WA3MEZ

                  Message 8 of 13 , Nov 24, 2006
                    comcast wrote:
                    > I am using a couple RS USB converters and the Creative USB sound board. This
                    > configuration is use on ALE and PSK. I use a Belkin USB switch to move the
                    > ports around between two XP and one Linux systems. What I need is the Device
                    > names that Ubuntu assign to USB devices. I suppose I could check the startup
                    > log to get this info. I just thought I could save myself some time. Thanks!
                    >

                    > Rod Hart WA3MEZ

                    /dev/ttyUSBx x= usually 0

                    Ed W3NR
                  • W2AGN
                    Message 9 of 13 , Nov 24, 2006
                      V1.00 compiled and runs FB on my SUSE 9.3 distro. Great program!

                      ---
                       / \  / \  / \  / \  / \   John L. Sielke
                      ( W )( 2 )( A )( G )( N )  http://w2agn.net
                       \_/  \_/  \_/  \_/  \_/   http://www.blurty.com/users/w2agn
                      See the underhanded actions of QRP-ARCI®. http://w2agn.net/noarci.html
                    • Leigh L Klotz, Jr.
                      Message 10 of 13 , Nov 24, 2006
                        I use tail /var/log/messages to find it...
                        Are you able to use G4GUO's ALE on Ubuntu under Wine?
                        I was unable to get it to install on Fedora under Wine.
                        73,
                        Leigh/WA5ZNU
                        On Fri, 24 Nov 2006 12:39 pm, comcast wrote:
                        > I am using a couple RS USB converters and the Creative USB sound board.
                        > This configuration is use on ALE and PSK. I use a Belkin USB switch to
                        > move the ports around between two XP and one Linux systems. What I need
                        > is the Device names that Ubuntu assign to USB devices. I suppose I
                        > could check the startup log to get this info. I just thought I could
                        > save myself some time. Thanks!
                        >
                        > Rod Hart WA3MEZ

                      • mike
                        Message 11 of 13 , Nov 25, 2006
                          In Debian, I have one of the same USB to serial ports. The ptt device
                          would be known as /dev/ttyUSB0

                          The second port would be /dev/ttyUSB1 if youre using 2.
                          not sure about the usb soundcard.

                          Mike, kd0ar