Re: [linuxham] New jpskmail client for windows and linux adds HF APRS and ARQ capability to Fldigi.

  • Rick W
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 21 6:09 AM
      One of the things that interested me the most about PSKmail, when it
      first came out in Linux, was the capability to do peer to peer client
      connections. At least it was my understanding that it could do that
      function. Is this not yet available in the 0.3 beta, but will be at some
      time in the future?

      Although I suspect that future sound card e-mail here in the U.S. will
      primarily be routed through Winlink 2000, assuming that WINMOR works at
      least half as well as it appears to be designed, there are two things
      that it probably will lack (by design):

      - the ability to set up a server on an ad hoc basis, such as may be
      needed to provide emergency communications on short notice, at a
      specific routing location.

      - the ability to do peer to peer connections.

      I seem to be in the extreme minority, but I honestly consider those two
      features to be absolutely necessary for public service communications.
      If I have an event or even an emergency situation and need to make a
      connection to "x" location, and they can set up an ad hoc server, I can
      then route traffic to them or through them as needed. And if that is not
      possible, if I can at least do a peer to peer connection, then I can get
      the traffic through.

      This design would give the ham community a "super packet" link, and
      would work on HF SSB or VHF SSB or probably FM as well, giving us a
      practical solution that has eluded us for many years.

      73,

      Rick, KV9U