Fldigi 1.0 posted

    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 23, 2006
      This is the first stable release of fldigi, Fast Light DIGItal modem
      program, for Linux. A source code tarball and an executable compatible
      with Debian Sarge, Ubuntu 6.06.x and Kubuntu 6.06.x has been posted.
      The executable might also work on other distros. If you find that is so
      please let me know and I will update the list of known compatible distros.

      Let me know if you find any discrepancies in the release or problems
      with the application. Thanks.

      Dave, W1HKJ
    • Michael Heim

        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 23, 2006
          Michael Heim wrote:

          > Downloaded the fldigi 1.0 static and its running great in the Debian
          > Etch distro.

          That is cool! Ed had some problems getting fldigi compiled and running
          on Etch.

          Dave
        • Tehrasha Darkon
          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 23, 2006

            > This is the first stable release of fldigi, Fast Light DIGItal modem
            > program, for Linux.

            Compiled without trouble on Ubuntu 6.10. and appears to be operating
            perfectly. Though I have not tried all of the modes yet.

            The only thing I have noticed that seemed odd is that you cannot
            select the received text to cut&paste it into anything else. Is this
            intentional, or just an oversight?

            If fldigi did FAX and SSTV, it would be the only program I would ever
            have to use. :)

            --Teh
            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 23, 2006
              Tehrasha Darkon wrote:

              This is the first stable release of fldigi, Fast Light DIGItal modem
              program, for Linux.

              Compiled without trouble on Ubuntu 6.10. and appears to be operating
              perfectly.
              Thank you for that report.  I have not tried the 6.10 release of either Ubuntu or Kubuntu yet.
              The only thing I have noticed that seemed odd is that you cannot
              select the received text to cut&paste it into anything else.  Is this
              intentional, or just an oversight?

              For the moment this is intentional.  The text widget is a special widget writen specifically for fldigi.  I will probably add that capability in a future release.  For now, you can of course enable the log to file functionon the "Files" menu.  That will save both incoming and outgoing text to a text file in the $HOME/.fldigi directory.
              If fldigi did FAX and SSTV, it would be the only program I would ever
              have to use. :)

              Both are within the realm of the possible, but not on the programmer's to-do list.  There are some very good Linux programs that allow you to work in both of these mode.

              Thanks for the Ubuntu 6.10 report.

              Dave, W1HKJ

            • comcast
              Message 6 of 13 , Nov 23, 2006

                Can someone running Fldigi under Ubuntu clue me in as to how to configure sound card and USB ports. Thanks

                Rod

                rwhart@..._,___

              • Tehrasha Darkon
                Message 7 of 13 , Nov 24, 2006
                  --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, "comcast" <rwhart@...> wrote:

                  > Can someone running Fldigi under Ubuntu clue me in as to how to
                  configure
                  > sound card and USB ports. Thanks

                  Are you talking about a USB sound card, a USB->Serial rig controller,
                  or what?

                  --Teh
                  Message 8 of 13 , Nov 24, 2006
                    comcast wrote:
                    > Can someone running Fldigi under Ubuntu clue me in as to how to configure
                    > sound card and USB ports. Thanks
                    >

                    > Rod
                    >
                    > rwhart@..._,___

                    Rod, we need a little more information to be able to help. Unless you
                    have some odd hardware Ubuntu should have found and installed the
                    correct drivers for both

                    Ed W3NR
                  • comcast
                    Message 9 of 13 , Nov 24, 2006

                      I am using a couple RS USB converters and the Creative USB sound board. This configuration is use on ALE and PSK. I use a Belkin USB switch to move the ports around between two XP and one Linux systems. What I need is the Device names that Ubuntu assign to USB devices. I suppose I could check the startup log to get this info. I just thought I could save myself some time. Thanks!

                      Rod Hart WA3MEZ

                      Message 10 of 13 , Nov 24, 2006
                        comcast wrote:
                        > I am using a couple RS USB converters and the Creative USB sound board. This
                        > configuration is use on ALE and PSK. I use a Belkin USB switch to move the
                        > ports around between two XP and one Linux systems. What I need is the Device
                        > names that Ubuntu assign to USB devices. I suppose I could check the startup
                        > log to get this info. I just thought I could save myself some time. Thanks!
                        >

                        > Rod Hart WA3MEZ

                        /dev/ttyUSBx x= usually 0

                        Ed W3NR
                      • W2AGN
                        Message 11 of 13 , Nov 24, 2006
                          V1.00 compiled and runs FB on my SUSE 9.3 distro. Great program!

                          ---
                           / \  / \  / \  / \  / \   John L. Sielke
                          ( W )( 2 )( A )( G )( N )  http://w2agn.net
                           \_/  \_/  \_/  \_/  \_/   http://www.blurty.com/users/w2agn
                          See the underhanded actions of QRP-ARCI®. http://w2agn.net/noarci.html
                        • Leigh L Klotz, Jr.
                          Message 12 of 13 , Nov 24, 2006
                            I use tail /var/log/messages to find it...
                            Are you able to use G4GUO's ALE on Ubuntu under Wine?
                            I was unable to get it to install on Fedora under Wine.
                            73,
                            Leigh/WA5ZNU
                            On Fri, 24 Nov 2006 12:39 pm, comcast wrote:
                            > I am using a couple RS USB converters and the Creative USB sound board.
                            > This configuration is use on ALE and PSK. I use a Belkin USB switch to
                            > move the ports around between two XP and one Linux systems. What I need
                            > is the Device names that Ubuntu assign to USB devices. I suppose I
                            > could check the startup log to get this info. I just thought I could
                            > save myself some time. Thanks!
                            >
                            > Rod Hart WA3MEZ

                          • mike
                            Message 13 of 13 , Nov 25, 2006
                              In Debian, I have one of the same USB to serial ports. The ptt device
                              would be known as /dev/ttyUSB0

                              The second port would be /dev/ttyUSB1 if youre using 2.
                              not sure about the usb soundcard.

                              Mike, kd0ar