fldigi 0.974 beta posted

    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 14, 2006
      http://www.w1hkj.com/LinuxApps/fldigi.974.src.tar.gz

      just posted.

      The seg fault on exit that some testers were experiencing has been
      resolved. You should be able to compile and link to either the static
      or shared fltk libraries with no problem.

      Cleaned up a lot of lose ends in the code as a result of running
      extensive memory usage checks on the application to find the exit seg
      fault cause.

      Added the ability to selectively transmit the idle (.) character during
      Feld transmissions. If you deselect the dot (.) transmission the
      transmitter will be silent for 2 column periods where each dot would
      have appeared. This should not effect the reception of Feld and the
      characters will remain synced vertically on the received raster image.
      It should reduce unnecessary transmissions when your keyboard is not
      active. The cpu % usage will be slightly reduced during the suppressed
      idle time.

      Let me know of any problems either with the build or the program. Thanks.

      73, Dave, W1HKJ
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 14, 2006
        w1hkj wrote:
        > http://www.w1hkj.com/LinuxApps/fldigi.974.src.tar.gz
        >
        > just posted.

        Compiled just fine here Dave

        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 14, 2006
          Ed wrote:
          w1hkj wrote:

          http://www.w1hkj.com/LinuxApps/fldigi.974.src.tar.gz

          just posted.

          Compiled just fine here Dave

          Ed W3NR

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          <*> Your email settings:
              Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
              (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
              mailto:linuxham-digest@yahoogroups.com
              mailto:linuxham-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          .

          Grand Ed.  If you visit the www.fltk.org page and "view  - developer roadmap" you will see that I have been having somewhat of a harangue with some of the Fltk team.  They are all volunteers, so I shouldn't complain too loudly, but the 1.1.7 stable version of Fltk turns out to have a very serious flaw in one of its routines.  I strongly urged them to get the fix (which is in the developers code tree) into the stable version.

          For now I have coded around that library flaw.

          Keep on testing.  One of these days we will have an on air QSO.

          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 14, 2006
            w1hkj wrote:

            > Grand Ed. If you visit the www.fltk.org page and "view - developer
            > roadmap" you will see that I have been having somewhat of a harangue
            > with some of the Fltk team. They are all volunteers, so I shouldn't
            > complain too loudly, but the 1.1.7 stable version of Fltk turns out to
            > have a very serious flaw in one of its routines. I strongly urged them
            > to get the fix (which is in the developers code tree) into the stable
            > version.
            >
            > For now I have coded around that library flaw.
            >
            > Keep on testing. One of these days we will have an on air QSO.
            >
            > Dave

            Unless I read it wrong, it looks as tho they want us to use the 1.1.x
            shared, not the 1.1.7, I assumed the .7 was the stable release, with the
            .x being a beta build. Do you want me to switch fltk versions and see
            what I get on a Debian Etch system ?? If you do I may need a little
            guidance, which is the norm for me...hi.. It will only take a few
            minutes to backup everything to the in-house file server, just in case.

            Ed W3NR

            Your right, we need to meet up sometime, I was just on 30 meters trying
            to see what I could do with 900 milliwatts.
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 14, 2006
              Ed wrote:
              w1hkj wrote:

[...]

              Don't try the 1.1.x-rVVVV versions unless I request it Ed.  That would put too many variables into the pot.  For now I have successfully worked around the problem with the stable 1.1.7 rev.

              Dave
            • Rick Kunath
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 14, 2006
                w1hkj wrote:

                > Don't try the 1.1.x-rVVVV versions unless I request it Ed. That would
                > put too many variables into the pot. For now I have successfully worked
                > around the problem with the stable 1.1.7 rev.

                FLTK 1.1.7 compiled with the shared, threads, and xft switches worked
                for me with the new fldigi code. I FLTK installed into the /usr tree,
                but /usr/local is OK too. I installed over rpms so that's why I
                overwrote the files in /usr.

                Dave, I did try the r5539 snapshot of FLTK prior to your reworking your
                code to get around the crash. It crashed on exit too. I had the snap
                installed on this laptop for testing, and have since reverted to FLTK
                1.1.7 again.

                The main thing was searching out the FLTK libs and *really* being sure I
                had cleaned out all of the existing libraries. Uninstall didn't and I
                needed to do this manually to remove all traces.

                This time I backported the Mandriva 2007 FLTK 1.1.7 source rpm to
                Mandriva 2006 with the correct config switches (added xft), and all is
                working fine. So, at least for me, the snap didn't fix the crash.

                I didn't do a FLTK SVN checkout, so perhaps the issue is fixed in SVN?

                Grabbed my first MFSK pic on 80while reading the mail... put a big smile
                on my face.

                Nice work Dave!

                Rick