Re: [linuxham] Re: how to use xml-rpc

  • Pierfrancesco Caci
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 1, 2009
      On Sun, Mar 1, 2009 at 08:57, Rein Couperus <rein@...> wrote:
      > Look for a combination of SSH and vnc. I use vnc over ssh tunnels to maintain a number of
      > pskmail servers. This way your connection is secure.
      > The graphics interface is needed to adjust fldigi.

      Or you could save some bandwidth by letting ssh export your X11 display.

      --
      Pierfrancesco Caci, ik5pvx
    • Stelios Bounanos
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 1, 2009

        > On Sun, Mar 1, 2009 at 08:57, Rein Couperus <rein@...> wrote:
        >> Look for a combination of SSH and vnc. I use vnc over ssh tunnels to maintain a number of
        >> pskmail servers. This way your connection is secure.
        >> The graphics interface is needed to adjust fldigi.
        >>

        > Or you could save some bandwidth by letting ssh export your X11 display.

        This is inefficient, though. VNC can do some protocol-specific
        optimisations that are not possible with simple X11 forwarding. For
        example, it can eliminate some communication altogether (e.g. cursor
        shape updates), and JPEG-compress screen areas, both of which save a lot
        of bandwidth. It can also combine these with the zlib compression that
        you would get with ssh -- check out the "Tight" encoding in
        xtightvncviewer(1).

        You probably still want to tunnel the connection through ssh for the
        usual reasons.

        73,
        Stelios, M0GLD.
      • kent_ve4keh
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 1, 2009
          --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, "d_ziolkowski" <dan.ziolkowski@...>
          wrote:

          > Hello-- I am interested in using FLdigi to access my radio from a
          > hotel room, where I am often as I travel for my work.
          <snip>

          > Thanks Dan KC2STA

          As suggested, read everything you can on SSH, then read it again. I
          had mine working before I fully understood it, potentially unsafe.

          Using VNC _might_ save some bandwidth over X window forwarding, but
          then there is the display mapping issue - squishing the desktop
          display from your home machine onto your laptop display. Either the
          display is really tiny, or there are scroll bars to deal with, or the
          aspect ratio looks funny.

          I'm using SSH with X-11 forwarding in Debian Testing (is it still
          Lenny, or is it Squeeze now?). I'd suggest changing the SSH port from
          its default (22) to some randomly chosen value somewhere in the
          thousands. It keeps the internet bots from bothering you. Haven't
          had any access issues from various hotels at which I have stayed (...yet).

          Kent VE4KEH