Re: Flidigi 3.10 and IC-7000 on Ubuntu 8.04 Won't Control Over CI-V

  • alw6hgf
    Message 1 of 19 , Feb 7 8:34 AM
      Hi Mark,

      I am using Fldigi with the IC-7000 and Rigblaster P&P for sound and
      CI-V interface through a USB port. I initially had trouble getting
      the CI-V to work, and my settings, using Hamlib on Fldigi, that work
      today is the baud rate to 9600. Anything higher did not work for me
      through this interface. It has been a little while, but as I recall
      the IC-7000 was on autobaud, but had to be power cycled to recognize a
      new rate from Fldigi each time I changed it. The PTT seemed only to
      work through Hardware PTT, with the device being my USB port and RTS
      and DTR checked. Once I got it working, I have not tested any other
      configuration, so there may be others that work, but I have this one
      working perfectly for me.

      Let me know if I can check any other settings for you to help get it
      working.

      73

      Al W6HGF

      --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, Rick W <mrfarm@...> wrote:

      > Hi Mark,
      >
      > I have a homebrew (simple 2 transistor) CI-V interface that I have used
      > in the past with my ICOM 756 Pro series rigs but I don't think I have
      > tested this on our 7000's. It should work in a similar manner.
      >
      > You probably know this already, but some of these designs require power
      > being supplied by the COM port. Thus, you would need the appropriate 12
      > vdc line active by checking the box RTS +12 V or DTR +12 v depending
      > upon how you are configured. I would set the rig for the highest baud
      > rate, 19200, (Auto may not work well), and double check the default
      > address of 70h.
      >
      > I know how frustrating this can be as I had a difficult time when I was
      > running fldigi under Linux. I now run it under WinXP and Vista using
      > Hamlib although I switched over the West Mountain RigTalk interface
      > which is a very nice solution to going from USB to CI-V:)
      >
      > 73,
      >
      > Rick, KV9U
      >
      > ka6wke_1 wrote:
      > > Good evening,
      > >
      > > I'm trying to get Fldigi to control the IC-7000 through a homebrew
      > > CI-V interface. This exact setup worked with my 706MKIIG with no
      > > problems, but the 7000 doesn't respond.
      > >
      > > I've tried RigCAT with the ICOM7000.xml file and receive the
      following:

      > > rigCAT_init: Xcvr Freq request not answered
      > >
      > > I've tried different baud rates, and at 300 baud on the serial port,
      > > the rig will briefly PTT.
      > >
      > > I've compiled and tried HamLib too, but get this error message:
      > >
      > > show_error: hamlib_init: Rig not responding
      > >
      > > The rig quickly PTTs, then returns to RX.
      > >
      > > The 7000 has all defaults for CI-V. Anything else I should look at?
      > >
      > > 73 - Mark
      > > KA6WKE

      02/05/09 11:34:00

    • yournotme2003
      Message 2 of 19 , Feb 7 3:02 PM
        --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, "ka6wke_1" <ka6wke@...> wrote:

        > Good evening,
        >
        > I'm trying to get Fldigi to control the IC-7000 through a homebrew
        > CI-V interface. This exact setup worked with my 706MKIIG with no
        > problems, but the 7000 doesn't respond.
        >
        > I've tried RigCAT with the ICOM7000.xml file and receive the following:
        >
        > rigCAT_init: Xcvr Freq request not answered
        >
        > I've tried different baud rates, and at 300 baud on the serial port,
        > the rig will briefly PTT.
        >
        > I've compiled and tried HamLib too, but get this error message:
        >
        > show_error: hamlib_init: Rig not responding
        >
        > The rig quickly PTTs, then returns to RX.
        >
        > The 7000 has all defaults for CI-V. Anything else I should look at?
        >
        > 73 - Mark
        > KA6WKE

        Same thing here with a IC-751, it was working up to and including 3.04AM.
      • yournotme2003
        Message 3 of 19 , Feb 7 3:18 PM
          --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, "ka6wke_1" <ka6wke@...> wrote:

          > Good evening,
          >
          > I'm trying to get Fldigi to control the IC-7000 through a homebrew
          > CI-V interface. This exact setup worked with my 706MKIIG with no
          > problems, but the 7000 doesn't respond.
          >
          > I've tried RigCAT with the ICOM7000.xml file and receive the following:
          >
          > rigCAT_init: Xcvr Freq request not answered
          >
          > I've tried different baud rates, and at 300 baud on the serial port,
          > the rig will briefly PTT.
          >
          > I've compiled and tried HamLib too, but get this error message:
          >
          > show_error: hamlib_init: Rig not responding
          >
          > The rig quickly PTTs, then returns to RX.
          >
          > The 7000 has all defaults for CI-V. Anything else I should look at?
          >
          > 73 - Mark
          > KA6WKE

          I forgot to mention that you might try it with grig as that is working
          here but not the new fldigi. Man grig for startup info.
        • Mark Schoonover
          Message 4 of 19 , Feb 7 4:27 PM
            On Sat, Feb 7, 2009 at 5:02 AM, Ed <autek@...> wrote:
            > ka6wke_1 wrote:
            >> Good evening,
            >>
            >> I'm trying to get Fldigi to control the IC-7000 through a homebrew
            >> CI-V interface. This exact setup worked with my 706MKIIG with no
            >> problems, but the 7000 doesn't respond.
            >>
            >> I've tried RigCAT with the ICOM7000.xml file and receive the following:
            >>
            >> rigCAT_init: Xcvr Freq request not answered
            >>
            >> I've tried different baud rates, and at 300 baud on the serial port,
            >> the rig will briefly PTT.
            >>
            >> I've compiled and tried HamLib too, but get this error message:
            >>
            >> show_error: hamlib_init: Rig not responding
            >>
            >> The rig quickly PTTs, then returns to RX.
            >>
            >> The 7000 has all defaults for CI-V. Anything else I should look at?
            >>
            >> 73 - Mark
            >> KA6WKE
            >>

            > Mark, make sure the rig and rigcat/hamlib are both set to the same baud
            > rate. I know some Icoms use an autobaud setting and these tend to cause
            > a problem.
            >
            > I would leave the PTT go for now until you get rig control set up.
            >
            > Set the retries to 4, this seems to be the most common setting. Retry
            > interval is the tricky setting, try 50 and adjust in steps of 5 up/down.
            > The command interval is also touchy, mine is set at 0, again you will
            > need to work with the timimg.
            >
            > Hopefully someone is lurking on the list that may be of better help.
            >
            > Ed W3NR

            Thanks Ed. I've tried what you've recommended, but still no luck. I
            took a look at the schematic for my 2 transistor CI-V interface, and
            it requires 12vdc in order to operate. This is the CI-V interface I
            built: http://www.qsl.net/g3vgr/civ.html. I made sure DTR was checked
            on the config screen for RigCAT. I've set the rig to 9600 baud, plus
            Fldigi with no success. I've also wiggled the retries and command
            intervals as well.

            Has anyone used the West Mountain Radio USB->CI-V interface with
            Ubuntu and Fldigi? I can always use the interface for the 706.

            Thanks for all the ideas.

            --
            73 - Mark - KA6WKE
            http://ka6wke.blogspot.com/
            Message 5 of 19 , Feb 7 5:42 PM
              Mark,

              Ok first when I first activate the serial port a short ptt on the
              IC-7000 is normal for me, and then it waits for a command. So if you
              are seeing the short PTT, it is a probably a good sign. If the
              interface worked on another rig, but does not work here, it could be
              in the addresses, as I understand it, there can be several rigs on the
              same CI-V but each with a different address. The default for the
              IC-7000 is 70h but can be changed if there is a conflict or if two
              7000's are used. The setting is on the set mode (push the volume
              control), the OTH button and scroll down to 49. to see what is
              actually there for address. While you are there, you can scroll up to
              48 can check to see if the baud rate is still automatic, or if it is
              set at a specific setting. I know 9600 works, but had no luck getting
              anything higher to work for me with my interface. I did not see a way
              to change the address in Hamlib but mine seems to be using the default
              for the Ic-7000 when using the rig "Icom IC-7000(Untested)". It looks
              like the address can be changed in the Rigcat XML file. I have not
              used Rigcat yet so can not confirm. Just a couple more ideas before
              you give up.

              73 Al W6HGF

              --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, Mark Schoonover <ka6wke@...> wrote:

              > On Sat, Feb 7, 2009 at 5:02 AM, Ed <autek@...> wrote:
              > > ka6wke_1 wrote:
              > >> Good evening,
              > >>
              > >> I'm trying to get Fldigi to control the IC-7000 through a homebrew
              > >> CI-V interface. This exact setup worked with my 706MKIIG with no
              > >> problems, but the 7000 doesn't respond.
              > >>
              > >> I've tried RigCAT with the ICOM7000.xml file and receive the
              following:

              > >> rigCAT_init: Xcvr Freq request not answered
              > >>
              > >> I've tried different baud rates, and at 300 baud on the serial port,
              > >> the rig will briefly PTT.
              > >>
              > >> I've compiled and tried HamLib too, but get this error message:
              > >>
              > >> show_error: hamlib_init: Rig not responding
              > >>
              > >> The rig quickly PTTs, then returns to RX.
              > >>
              > >> The 7000 has all defaults for CI-V. Anything else I should look at?
              > >>
              > >> 73 - Mark
              > >> KA6WKE
              > >>

              > > Mark, make sure the rig and rigcat/hamlib are both set to the same
              baud
              > > rate. I know some Icoms use an autobaud setting and these tend to
              cause
              > > a problem.
              > >
              > > I would leave the PTT go for now until you get rig control set up.
              > >
              > > Set the retries to 4, this seems to be the most common setting. Retry
              > > interval is the tricky setting, try 50 and adjust in steps of 5
              up/down.
              > > The command interval is also touchy, mine is set at 0, again you will
              > > need to work with the timimg.
              > >
              > > Hopefully someone is lurking on the list that may be of better help.
              > >
              > > Ed W3NR
              >
              > Thanks Ed. I've tried what you've recommended, but still no luck. I
              > took a look at the schematic for my 2 transistor CI-V interface, and
              > it requires 12vdc in order to operate. This is the CI-V interface I
              > built: http://www.qsl.net/g3vgr/civ.html. I made sure DTR was checked
              > on the config screen for RigCAT. I've set the rig to 9600 baud, plus
              > Fldigi with no success. I've also wiggled the retries and command
              > intervals as well.
              >
              > Has anyone used the West Mountain Radio USB->CI-V interface with
              > Ubuntu and Fldigi? I can always use the interface for the 706.
              >
              > Thanks for all the ideas.
              >
              > --
              > 73 - Mark - KA6WKE
              > http://ka6wke.blogspot.com/

            • JOHN G WEBER
              Message 6 of 19 , Feb 7 6:27 PM
                Mark,
                I used an Icom 706 with Ubuntu and fldigi.  Like you, I had to build a CI-V interface.  The one that I built derived power from the serial port and would only work when the power was fed on the RTS or DTR lead.  If I remember correctly, I used one of the leads for power and the other for keying.  I tried your link to your interface and the link didn't work.  If you used your current setup for your 706 and it worked, my input is probably not applicable.  However, hope it is of some help.  BTW, I used hamlib and set the baud rate to 9600.

                john

                Message 7 of 19 , Feb 7 7:15 PM
                  Mark Schoonover wrote:
                  > On Sat, Feb 7, 2009 at 5:02 AM, Ed <autek@...> wrote:
                  >> ka6wke_1 wrote:
                  >>> Good evening,
                  >>>
                  >>> I'm trying to get Fldigi to control the IC-7000 through a homebrew
                  >>> CI-V interface. This exact setup worked with my 706MKIIG with no
                  >>> problems, but the 7000 doesn't respond.
                  >>>
                  >>> I've tried RigCAT with the ICOM7000.xml file and receive the following:
                  >>>
                  >>> rigCAT_init: Xcvr Freq request not answered
                  >>>
                  >>> I've tried different baud rates, and at 300 baud on the serial port,
                  >>> the rig will briefly PTT.
                  >>>
                  >>> I've compiled and tried HamLib too, but get this error message:
                  >>>
                  >>> show_error: hamlib_init: Rig not responding
                  >>>
                  >>> The rig quickly PTTs, then returns to RX.
                  >>>
                  >>> The 7000 has all defaults for CI-V. Anything else I should look at?
                  >>>
                  >>> 73 - Mark
                  >>> KA6WKE
                  >>>

                  >> Mark, make sure the rig and rigcat/hamlib are both set to the same baud
                  >> rate. I know some Icoms use an autobaud setting and these tend to cause
                  >> a problem.
                  >>
                  >> I would leave the PTT go for now until you get rig control set up.
                  >>
                  >> Set the retries to 4, this seems to be the most common setting. Retry
                  >> interval is the tricky setting, try 50 and adjust in steps of 5 up/down.
                  >> The command interval is also touchy, mine is set at 0, again you will
                  >> need to work with the timimg.
                  >>
                  >> Hopefully someone is lurking on the list that may be of better help.
                  >>
                  >> Ed W3NR
                  >
                  > Thanks Ed. I've tried what you've recommended, but still no luck. I
                  > took a look at the schematic for my 2 transistor CI-V interface, and
                  > it requires 12vdc in order to operate. This is the CI-V interface I
                  > built: http://www.qsl.net/g3vgr/civ.html. I made sure DTR was checked
                  > on the config screen for RigCAT. I've set the rig to 9600 baud, plus
                  > Fldigi with no success. I've also wiggled the retries and command
                  > intervals as well.

                  Several of us use the same interface, so we know it works. You have DTR
                  set to +12, have you tried RTS set to +12 ?.

                  Al has some very good suggestions, I agree the momentary PTT is a good
                  sign. My Omni as well as the Icom 735 do the exact same. The command
                  intervals can be tricky at times.

                  It seems strange that some times rig control works, and other times
                  using the same rig and settings, the next guy plays havoc to get it going.

                  > Has anyone used the West Mountain Radio USB->CI-V interface with
                  > Ubuntu and Fldigi? I can always use the interface for the 706.
                  >
                  > Thanks for all the ideas.

                  Be careful, some of these require the use of a virtual comport that
                  require M$ drivers.

                  Ed W3NR
                • Dennis Mingear
                  Message 8 of 19 , Feb 7 8:00 PM
                    Mark Schoonover wrote: ?

                    > Has anyone used the West Mountain Radio USB->CI-V interface with
                    > Ubuntu and Fldigi? I can always use the interface for the 706.

                    If you are referring to West Mountain's RigTalk USB CI/V interface, I'm using it with 32 bit Ubuntu 8.10 and FLdigi 3.10 and a Icom 718.

                    It was plug and play without any driver issues at all.

                    Denny ... kd6cyl

                    Hope keeps you going ... Fear keeps you alive!
                    Brought to you by Ubuntu 8.10, and FireFox 3.0.3 through the magic of Linux.

                  • Mark Schoonover
                    Message 9 of 19 , Feb 7 8:21 PM
                      Thanks Ed. I've been working on this some more, but no luck. This is
                      what I've tried.

                      I've set the serial port to 9600 baud via setserial.
                      I've set the PC BIOS to force COM1 instead of auto.
                      I've set the rig to 9600 baud.

                      I've tried rigctl: rigctl -r /dev/ttyS0 -c 70 -m 360 -s 9600
                      Output is:

                      rigctl -r /dev/ttyS0 -c 70 -m 360 -s 9600

                      Rig command: f
                      read_string: timedout without reading a character
                      read_string: timedout without reading a character
                      read_string: timedout without reading a character
                      read_string: timedout without reading a character
                      get_freq: error = Communication bus error

                      Rig command: q

                      I've verified the CI-V I built requires +12v on DTR.
                      I've tried +12v on DTR and RTS at the same time.

                      I've looked at the RigCAT IC7000.xml file for CI-V address, but didn't
                      see a setting for it.
                      I've double checked my interface just incase something broke.
                      I've confirmed the current CI-V settings on the 7000 work by testing
                      with my BetterRF tuner adapter.

                      Pretty much have run out of ideas!

                      Thanks for all the help so far.

                      --
                      73 - Mark - KA6WKE
                      http://ka6wke.blogspot.com/

                    • Rick Kunath
                      Message 10 of 19 , Feb 7 8:46 PM
                        Comments inline...

                        > I've set the serial port to 9600 baud via setserial.
                        > I've set the PC BIOS to force COM1 instead of auto.
                        > I've set the rig to 9600 baud.
                        >
                        > I've tried rigctl: rigctl -r /dev/ttyS0 -c 70 -m 360 -s 9600
                        > Output is:
                        >
                        > rigctl -r /dev/ttyS0 -c 70 -m 360 -s 9600
                        >
                        > Rig command: f
                        > read_string: timedout without reading a character
                        > read_string: timedout without reading a character
                        > read_string: timedout without reading a character
                        > read_string: timedout without reading a character
                        > get_freq: error = Communication bus error
                        >
                        > Rig command: q

                        Have you tried sending the raw rig control commands right to the serial port
                        using something like CuteCom? That's a GUI based serial port tool. I have
                        used it many times to troubleshoot devices. It should be in your distros
                        repo. At least that way you would know the interface is working.

                        What is this, a real serial port?

                        > I've verified the CI-V I built requires +12v on DTR.
                        > I've tried +12v on DTR and RTS at the same time.

                        Are you actually getting 12 volts from the port (or + and - 12 volts if you
                        need that)? Not all serial ports deliver 12 volts or enough current to drive
                        self powered stuff. I've seen laptop serial ports put out 5 volts only.

                        Don't know if any of this helps.

                        Rick Kunath, k9ao
                        Message 11 of 19 , Feb 7 9:02 PM
                          Mark Schoonover wrote:
                          > Thanks Ed. I've been working on this some more, but no luck. This is
                          > what I've tried.
                          >
                          > I've set the serial port to 9600 baud via setserial.
                          > I've set the PC BIOS to force COM1 instead of auto.
                          > I've set the rig to 9600 baud.

                          You should be able to use 38400 with that rig and your homebrew serial
                          to CI-V converter.

                          Please read your IC7000 manual Mark. You should find that the default
                          address for the IC7000 is 66. Now look at the IC7000.xml file and you
                          will see the 66 as a part of several command strings as in:

                          <COMMAND>
                          <SYMBOL>SETFREQ</SYMBOL>
                          <SIZE>11</SIZE>
                          <BYTES>FE FE 66 E0</BYTES>
                          <BYTE>05</BYTE>
                          <DATA>
                          <DTYPE>BCD</DTYPE>
                          <SIZE> 9 </SIZE>
                          <MAX> 174000000 </MAX>
                          <MIN> 30000 </MIN>
                          <RESOL> 1 </RESOL>
                          <REV>true</REV>
                          </DATA>
                          <BYTE>FD </BYTE>
                          <OK>OK</OK>
                          <BAD>BAD</BAD>
                          </COMMAND>

                          Make sure that your IC7000 CI-V address is indeed set to 66. It can be
                          set from the front panel of the rig.

                          Be sure that you have the "commands are echoed" box checked on the
                          RigCAT configuration tab. Your homebrew CI-V port echoes all outgoing
                          data back to the serial in on the serial port. That happens because of
                          the way the CI-V bidirectional data is converted to the serial TTY
                          signals in your h/w interface.

                          73, Dave, W1HKJ
                        • Mark Schoonover
                          Message 12 of 19 , Feb 7 9:34 PM
                            Thanks Dave. Comments inline.

                            On Sat, Feb 7, 2009 at 9:02 PM, w1hkj <w1hkj@...> wrote:
                            > Mark Schoonover wrote:
                            >> Thanks Ed. I've been working on this some more, but no luck. This is
                            >> what I've tried.
                            >>
                            >> I've set the serial port to 9600 baud via setserial.
                            >> I've set the PC BIOS to force COM1 instead of auto.
                            >> I've set the rig to 9600 baud.
                            >>
                            > You should be able to use 38400 with that rig and your homebrew serial
                            > to CI-V converter.
                            >
                            > Please read your IC7000 manual Mark. You should find that the default
                            > address for the IC7000 is 66. Now look at the IC7000.xml file and you
                            > will see the 66 as a part of several command strings as in:

                            The manual clearly states 70h is the default value for CI-V address.
                            I've been through the manual several times.

                            > <COMMAND>
                            > <SYMBOL>SETFREQ</SYMBOL>
                            > <SIZE>11</SIZE>
                            > <BYTES>FE FE 66 E0</BYTES>
                            > <BYTE>05</BYTE>
                            > <DATA>
                            > <DTYPE>BCD</DTYPE>
                            > <SIZE> 9 </SIZE>
                            > <MAX> 174000000 </MAX>
                            > <MIN> 30000 </MIN>
                            > <RESOL> 1 </RESOL>
                            > <REV>true</REV>
                            > </DATA>
                            > <BYTE>FD </BYTE>
                            > <OK>OK</OK>
                            > <BAD>BAD</BAD>
                            > </COMMAND>
                            >
                            > Make sure that your IC7000 CI-V address is indeed set to 66. It can be
                            > set from the front panel of the rig.

                            I set it to 66 just to try it out, and enabled "commands are echoed"
                            checkbox, no luck. Same result:

                            E: rigCAT_init: Xcvr Freq request not answered

                            <<snip>>
                            --
                            73 - Mark - KA6WKE
                            http://ka6wke.blogspot.com/
                            Message 13 of 19 , Feb 8 5:05 AM
                              Mark Schoonover wrote:
                              > Thanks Ed. I've been working on this some more, but no luck. This is
                              > what I've tried.
                              >
                              > I've set the serial port to 9600 baud via setserial.
                              > I've set the PC BIOS to force COM1 instead of auto.
                              > I've set the rig to 9600 baud.
                              >
                              > I've tried rigctl: rigctl -r /dev/ttyS0 -c 70 -m 360 -s 9600
                              > Output is:
                              >
                              > rigctl -r /dev/ttyS0 -c 70 -m 360 -s 9600
                              >
                              > Rig command: f
                              > read_string: timedout without reading a character
                              > read_string: timedout without reading a character
                              > read_string: timedout without reading a character
                              > read_string: timedout without reading a character
                              > get_freq: error = Communication bus error
                              >
                              > Rig command: q
                              >

                              > I've verified the CI-V I built requires +12v on DTR.
                              > I've tried +12v on DTR and RTS at the same time.
                              >
                              > I've looked at the RigCAT IC7000.xml file for CI-V address, but didn't
                              > see a setting for it.
                              > I've double checked my interface just incase something broke.
                              > I've confirmed the current CI-V settings on the 7000 work by testing
                              > with my BetterRF tuner adapter.
                              >
                              > Pretty much have run out of ideas!
                              >
                              > Thanks for all the help so far.

                              I don't know Mark, but it looks like the interface is the problem, with
                              no response from rigctl.

                              Ed W3NR
                            • rich
                              Message 14 of 19 , Feb 8 5:22 AM
                                Mark,
                                Just to summarize: manual pg 136, Address 70h, baud 9600 at both ends
                                (19200 should work), CI-V transceive to off (default is on). If you
                                have access to a o'scope check interface data and response for correct
                                level & shape. I have seen a lot of interfaces that distort the shape
                                of the data pulses just enough to not work between different radios,
                                dependent on the input circuit of the radio. Many newer designs just
                                go strait to the microprocessor pin instead of running thru a driver
                                chip. You should try to borrow a commercial CI-V box from another ham
                                long enough to confirm that it is or is not a problem.

                                Rich
                                WA4SXZ

                                Message 15 of 19 , Feb 8 6:30 AM
                                  Mark,

                                  After following Rich's advice please do the following.

                                  Insure that the CI-V address in both the IC7000.xml file and the rig are the same (70H or 66H).

                                  Open fldigi's event log, "Help / Event log".  Set the level to DEBUG (slider to the right).  Make sure that "Rig control" is checked on the event sources menu.  Clear the event log (right click menu on event text).

                                  Open the RigCAT configuration tab and then adjust as:

                                  Adjust the baud rate to be the one that the transceiver is set to.  You may not need both RTS and DTR set to +12v depending on your interface design.

                                  Press the Initialize button.

                                  You should see the events associated with opening up the serial port and testing for the frequency readout.  They might look something like:

                                  D: [06:31:47] rigcontrol/rigio.cxx:1140: Exiting rigCAT loop, closing serial port
                                  D: [06:31:47] rigcontrol/rigio.cxx:1027: RigCAT closed, count = 199
                                  I: [06:31:47] rigcontrol/rigio.cxx:968:
                                  Serial port parameters:
                                  device     : /dev/ttyS0
                                  baudrate   : 38400
                                  retries    : 2
                                  timeout    : 10
                                  wait       : 50
                                  initial rts: +12
                                  use rts ptt: F
                                  initial dtr: +12
                                  use dtr ptt: F
                                  flowcontrol: F
                                  echo       : T

                                  D: [06:31:47] rigcontrol/rigio.cxx:339: get frequency
                                  D: [06:31:47] rigcontrol/rigio.cxx:73: cmd = FE FE 70 E0 03 FD
                                  D: [06:31:47] rigcontrol/rigio.cxx:99: echoed = FE FE 70 E0 03 FD
                                  D: [06:31:48] rigcontrol/rigio.cxx:110: waiting for 11 bytes
                                  D: [06:31:48] rigcontrol/rigio.cxx:118: resp (0) no reply
                                  D: [06:31:48] rigcontrol/rigio.cxx:99: echoed = FE FE 70 E0 03 FD
                                  D: [06:31:48] rigcontrol/rigio.cxx:110: waiting for 11 bytes
                                  D: [06:31:48] rigcontrol/rigio.cxx:118: resp (1) no reply
                                  E: [06:31:48] rigcontrol/rigio.cxx:980: Xcvr Freq request not answered
                                  I: [06:31:48] rigcontrol/serial.cxx:213: Serial port closed, fd = 31
                                  D: [06:31:48] rigcontrol/rigsupport.cxx:577: no rig

                                  Save the event log to a file (right click menu on the event text).  Since I do not have a 7000 I get the message that you have reported.  The echoed response does tell me that my CI-V interface is working correctly.

                                  Send me the results of the test.  A copy to linuxham@yahoogroups.com and also one direct to me at w1hkj@...

                                  Thanks.

                                  73, Dave, W1HKJ

                                • Mark Schoonover
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Feb 8 5:35 PM
                                    On Sun, Feb 8, 2009 at 6:30 AM, w1hkj <w1hkj@...> wrote:
                                    > Mark,
                                    >
                                    > After following Rich's advice please do the following.
                                    >
                                    > Insure that the CI-V address in both the IC7000.xml file and the rig are the
                                    > same (70H or 66H).
                                    >
                                    > Open fldigi's event log, "Help / Event log". Set the level to DEBUG (slider
                                    > to the right). Make sure that "Rig control" is checked on the event sources
                                    > menu. Clear the event log (right click menu on event text).
                                    >
                                    > Open the RigCAT configuration tab and then adjust as:
                                    >

                                    > Adjust the baud rate to be the one that the transceiver is set to. You may
                                    > not need both RTS and DTR set to +12v depending on your interface design.
                                    >
                                    > Press the Initialize button.
                                    >
                                    > You should see the events associated with opening up the serial port and
                                    > testing for the frequency readout. They might look something like:
                                    >
                                    > D: [06:31:47] rigcontrol/rigio.cxx:1140: Exiting rigCAT loop, closing serial
                                    > port
                                    > D: [06:31:47] rigcontrol/rigio.cxx:1027: RigCAT closed, count = 199
                                    > I: [06:31:47] rigcontrol/rigio.cxx:968:
                                    > Serial port parameters:
                                    > device : /dev/ttyS0
                                    > baudrate : 38400
                                    > retries : 2
                                    > timeout : 10
                                    > wait : 50
                                    > initial rts: +12
                                    > use rts ptt: F
                                    > initial dtr: +12
                                    > use dtr ptt: F
                                    > flowcontrol: F
                                    > echo : T
                                    >
                                    > D: [06:31:47] rigcontrol/rigio.cxx:339: get frequency
                                    > D: [06:31:47] rigcontrol/rigio.cxx:73: cmd = FE FE 70 E0 03 FD
                                    > D: [06:31:47] rigcontrol/rigio.cxx:99: echoed = FE FE 70 E0 03 FD
                                    > D: [06:31:48] rigcontrol/rigio.cxx:110: waiting for 11 bytes
                                    > D: [06:31:48] rigcontrol/rigio.cxx:118: resp (0) no reply
                                    > D: [06:31:48] rigcontrol/rigio.cxx:99: echoed = FE FE 70 E0 03 FD
                                    > D: [06:31:48] rigcontrol/rigio.cxx:110: waiting for 11 bytes
                                    > D: [06:31:48] rigcontrol/rigio.cxx:118: resp (1) no reply
                                    > E: [06:31:48] rigcontrol/rigio.cxx:980: Xcvr Freq request not answered
                                    > I: [06:31:48] rigcontrol/serial.cxx:213: Serial port closed, fd = 31
                                    > D: [06:31:48] rigcontrol/rigsupport.cxx:577: no rig
                                    >
                                    > Save the event log to a file (right click menu on the event text). Since I
                                    > do not have a 7000 I get the message that you have reported. The echoed
                                    > response does tell me that my CI-V interface is working correctly.
                                    >
                                    > Send me the results of the test. A copy to linuxham@yahoogroups.com and
                                    > also one direct to me at w1hkj@...
                                    >
                                    > Thanks.
                                    >
                                    > 73, Dave, W1HKJ

                                    Dave,

                                    Thanks for all the debugging tips, it's working! I started debugging
                                    and watching for the echo commands. The initial screen shot you sent
                                    me of the config screen had both RTS and DTR checked. My interface
                                    started echoing back commands when the RTS was unchecked, but DTR was
                                    checked. The rig has the following settings:

                                    CI-V Baud Rate: Auto
                                    CI-V Address: 66h
                                    CI-V Tranceive: Off

                                    I'm not sure if the listserv will allow attachements, but I've
                                    attached what my Rig Config screen looks like.

                                    Thanks to all the others for providing assistance, I'm off to hook up
                                    the rest of the interface.

                                    --
                                    73 - Mark - KA6WKE
                                    http://ka6wke.blogspot.com/