Re: [linuxham] Re: Install fldigi and the Lib files under Ubuntu

  • Nate Bargmann
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 23, 2009
      * rich <richwa4sxz@...> [2009 Jan 23 05:41 -0600]:

      > Unless you have a way to prevent mistakes and force someone to pay
      > attention to the instructions, the readme is fine.

      :-)

      > There are several
      > developer readme's and maybe the best way would be name it:
      > "FOLLOW_THESE_INSTRUCTIONS_FIRST" and just list what needs to be
      > typed at a command prompt for a minimum install and a list of
      > dependencies that must be installed before starting. Building from
      > source is not difficult but it is very intimidating to new users.

      Heh. I think the name will remain. With experience those who like to
      compile from source will look at the various README for instructions
      specific to the package. We have three READMEs for the reason that
      there are three levels of users of Hamlib, those who want later support
      for a radio added since an official release, those willing to test it
      on their hardware and provide feedback (betatester) and those of us
      crazy enough to open a text editor and start typing (developer). All
      three groups overlap to some degree and rather than repeat all of the
      information, I'll see about providing references into the other files
      as necessary.

      There is also the INSTALL file that could be looked at.

      > I think Linux users are very lucky to have the level of talent we have
      > here in the group.

      There's a high amount of perisistence as well. ;-)

      73, de Nate >>