fldigi cw reception capabilities

  • Brett Owen Rees VK2TMG
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 20, 2006

      Hello All,

      I have just downloaded and installed fldigi 0.967b, primarily to test out the CW keying functionality. Keying of CW via the DTR line is working fine.

      Also, I did some receive tests on the 3699 beacon here in VK2 with some interesting results. The beacon cycles in the following manner:
      starts at 5 wpm Farnsworth with 12 wpm character speed
      8 / 12
      10 / 12
      12 / 15
      15 / 15

      Copy at the slower speeds is poor, with synchronization often being lost. The copy at 15 wpm is about 95% - admittedly this is for a very strong signal with machine-sent CW but is still impressive. I have attached a screen shot of fldigi receiving some CW - hopefully it is attached ok. I am wondering whether I could use CW as a keyboard digital mode? My plan is to use it to augment my current CW reception capabilities which are OK up to about 10 wpm. All I need to do are find people willing to send me 15 wpm machine-generated CW and keyboard contacts should then be possible. My main interests are digital modes and CW so it is nice to be able to operate both from fldigi.

      I tried changing the CW send speed via the modem dialog but it does not seem to get saved when I save the config and restart? The same goes for the bandwidth setting which seems to always reset itself to 150 even if I make it smaller. Will making the bandwidth setting smaller make reception work better under high noise levels - and what would be the correct setting if I know in advance the speed of the CW? I think it is something like 4 * WPM, but I could be wrong.

      I see a few things which could enhance the CW mode. One would be full break-in, where if you stop typing the rx window starts running again and decodes. At the moment, it does not start decoding again until one presses the tx/rx button or it occurs via a macro

      The other useful feature would be to run the sound card in full-duplex mode and output the FTT-filtered sound that the decoder sees back out through the line out. So, not only would you have computer decoding but one would also have dsp FFT filtered output  to listen to.

      I see that the BT symbol is available via the '=' key. Are AR ancd CT and other symbols available as well?

      A possible bug - if I start fldigi with my radio in CW mode the key is activated when fldigi starts. Changing the mode in fldigi to CW stops the keying, and from that point on the fldigi/radio combination performs as usual. It is as though the DTR line is being activated on fldigi startup?

      I am off to JOTA now.

      73 de Brett VK2TMG

      --
      ===============
      Brett Rees VK2TMG

      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 20, 2006
        Brett,

        Glad to hear that you have discovered fldigi.

        The alpha testers have moved much beyond the 967 release, but It has not
        been declared as a beta product yet. If you are willing to experiment
        and also see a few improvements and new modems added to the application
        you can download the latest alpha release at the following location:

        http://www.w1hkj.com/alpha

        I put a fix in to correct the startup process for the DTR line.

        5 WPM is as the very low end of the scale for copying CW by machine with
        the code as written. The limitation has to do with register lengths.
        Most persons interested in the CW capability have requested that I
        expand at the higher speeds for QRK operation to over 100 WPM. It would
        be difficult to satisfy both simultaneously.

        With regard to the break-in operation, it might be possible to allow a
        Ctrl character to toggle the keying - I will look into that and see if
        it can be added for a future release.

        The newer functions like "View Xmt Signal" on the waterfall tab are not
        documented yet for the help file. All that needs to done before the
        beta release.

        73s, Dave, W1HKJ
      • Brett Owen Rees VK2TMG
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 21, 2006
          Thanks Dave,

          I installed the alpha release - it still keys on startup but it is momentary and only very brief. I would consider it bug fixed. I will use it for a while and see how it goes.

          Now I will have to check out these THROB modes. I am into weak signal DX with typical 100W equipmemt and basic antenna - I don't mind CQ'ing for hours as long as I catch some DX in the end, so an exchange of callsigns and numbers is important and so speed is not such an issue. Is throb a DX mode?

          Thank you very much. Hopefully I can contribute to fldigi over time - will see how it goes. I have been using it for a while here and my Windoze disk is dying and receive performance seems to be up-to-par and developers are responsive (:>

          QRK sounds interesting. I plan on mixing linux with boat-anchor cw kit for a bit of fun. I like the idea of CW digital as it allows for the inclusion of cw ops who use machine-generated keying - which seems to be most of the faster ops. I set a goal for myself to learn CW and plan to make use of my CW skills for many years to come.

          73 de Brett VK2TMG