Re: [linuxham] Re: fl_logbook

  • Mike
    Message 1 of 26 , Oct 11, 2006
      I actually have Debian Stable AND Etch both installed on this pc now on 2 different drives.  It compiled fine on the stable Debian as well.  After compiling on the stable Debian, i copied the executable over to the Etch partition, and it ran fine.

      Once I got the code snippets, I then recompiled on Etch, and it worked fine.  So far I've had no problems now compiling everything I tried (logbook, fldigi and gmfsk) in Etch.

      If you remember the crash problem i have had on fldigi...  I'm also seeing it in WSJT in Etch. (WSJT is why I wont give up Etch for the time being as it isnt available in Sarge)  There were a string of OS updates that I installed for Etch that seems to have cured the crash problems so far.

      Havent had the crash problem in fldigi in awhile, however.  But I have been running it mostly from the Debian Sarge partition.  Havent run it in awhile from Etch.  Think tonite I'll get on using it in Etch and see what happens.

      I have learned quite a bit since I joined this group.  One thing is... not to test software in a "pre-release" version of linux and expect to give accurate bug reporting, as almost anything can cause problems, including faulty libs...

      Mike, kd0ar

      Message 2 of 26 , Oct 11, 2006
        Mike wrote:
[...]

        When you do find problems in a pre-release distribution of Linux, especially Debian, you should report the problem with as much information as you can to debian.org.  You will be doing a great service to the future users of that release when it matures to a stable release.

        Dave
      • Mike
        Message 3 of 26 , Oct 12, 2006
          Trouble is, I dont know what was causing the crashes.  It was very unpredictable.

          The irritation I may have shown earlier was in the fact that I thought the problem was in fldigi, and had you chasing your tail trying to figure it out.  WSJT has been recently posted as a new package in the tree, and about a week or so later the updates (mostly libs) came available.  You are right, however, had I known what was causing the problem, I would have reported it.

[...]

          Checked by AVG Free Edition.
        • jturning
          Message 4 of 26 , Jan 27, 2007
            Hello,

            I was having trouble with the fl_logbook program. It's losing my
            contacts. Is there a trick to setting this up? Thanks.

            --
            Jason Turning
            jturning@...
            Message 5 of 26 , Jan 28, 2007
              jturning wrote:

              >Hello,
              >
              >I was having trouble with the fl_logbook program. It's losing my
              >contacts. Is there a trick to setting this up? Thanks.

              Hello Jason,

              Are you using fl_logbook on MS Windows or Linux? It makes a difference
              as to where the program expects to save the files.

              Dave, W1HKJ
            • Jason Turning
              Message 6 of 26 , Jan 28, 2007
                w1hkj wrote:

                > jturning wrote:
                >
                >>Hello,
                >>
                >>I was having trouble with the fl_logbook program. It's losing my
                >>contacts. Is there a trick to setting this up? Thanks.
                >>

                > Hello Jason,
                >
                > Are you using fl_logbook on MS Windows or Linux? It makes a difference
                > as to where the program expects to save the files.
                >
                > Dave, W1HKJ

                I'm using the Linux version with openSUSE 10.2. Where is it keeping the
                file? Are there any configuration options I might need to tweak? I meant
                to spend more time looking around, but I didn't see anything that stuck
                out right away.

                I've been loving FLDIGI BTW. Thanks.

                Jason, N6WBL
              • gawhite512
                Message 7 of 26 , Jul 3, 2007
                  After now getting my SignaLink working with fldigi, I'm turning my
                  attention to getting the logger to work.

                  fldigi sends data to fl_logbook fine, but I can't seem to save or
                  recall data out of the fl_logbook app.

                  When I exit fl_logbook, it says it can't write to the database?

                  Is there any step-by-step process someone can lead me thru?

                  thanks,

                  73,

                  Gary - W5GW
                  Message 8 of 26 , Jul 4, 2007
                    gawhite512 wrote:
                    > After now getting my SignaLink working with fldigi, I'm turning my
                    > attention to getting the logger to work.
                    >
                    > fldigi sends data to fl_logbook fine, but I can't seem to save or
                    > recall data out of the fl_logbook app.
                    >
                    > When I exit fl_logbook, it says it can't write to the database?
                    >
                    > Is there any step-by-step process someone can lead me thru?
                    >
                    > thanks,
                    >
                    > 73,
                    >
                    > Gary - W5GW

                    Gary, you need to create the following folder

                    .fl_logbook (its (dot)fl_logbook)

                    open the folder and create an empty folder name it

                    logbook.lgb

                    That should get you up and running. HTH

                    Message 9 of 26 , Jul 4, 2007
                      Ed wrote:
                      > gawhite512 wrote:
                      >> After now getting my SignaLink working with fldigi, I'm turning my
                      >> attention to getting the logger to work.
                      >>
                      >> fldigi sends data to fl_logbook fine, but I can't seem to save or
                      >> recall data out of the fl_logbook app.
                      >>
                      >> When I exit fl_logbook, it says it can't write to the database?
                      >>
                      >> Is there any step-by-step process someone can lead me thru?
                      >>
                      >> thanks,
                      >>
                      >> 73,
                      >>
                      >> Gary - W5GW
                      >
                      > Gary, you need to create the following folder
                      >
                      > .fl_logbook (its (dot)fl_logbook)
                      >
                      > open the folder and create an empty folder name it

                      Sorry that should be empty file...not folder

                      > logbook.lgb

                      Ed
                      Message 10 of 26 , Jul 4, 2007
                        Ed's suggestion is correct. Here is why.

                        The default directory that fl_logbook will use to save logbook files is:

                        $HOME/.fl_logbook

                        as for example:

                        /home/w1hkj/.fl_logbook

                        As Ed pointed out there is a "dot" at the beginning of the directory
                        name. A dot at the beginning of any filename or directory name causes
                        it to be "hidden" by the file browser or an ls command. To see the
                        hidden directories and files use the command "ls -a"

                        The program should probably create the directory if it does not exist.
                        I will put that on the to-do list for fl_logbook.

                        You could also try saving the logbook data file in a directory that does
                        exist, ie: $HOME, but Ed's recommendation is the preferred.

                        73, Dave, W1HKJ
                      • Gary White
                        Message 11 of 26 , Jul 4, 2007
                          Thanks to all.

                          Once I got the .fl_logbook directory created all works FB now.

                          As you can probably guess, I'm unfamiliar with Linux, but I am getting
                          there. :-)

                          73,

                          Gary - W5GW

                          w1hkj wrote:

                          > Ed's suggestion is correct. Here is why.
                          >
                          > The default directory that fl_logbook will use to save logbook files is:
                          >
                          > $HOME/.fl_logbook
                          >
                          > as for example:
                          >
                          > /home/w1hkj/.fl_logbook
                          >
                          > As Ed pointed out there is a "dot" at the beginning of the directory
                          > name. A dot at the beginning of any filename or directory name causes
                          > it to be "hidden" by the file browser or an ls command. To see the
                          > hidden directories and files use the command "ls -a"
                          >
                          > The program should probably create the directory if it does not exist.
                          > I will put that on the to-do list for fl_logbook.
                          >
                          > You could also try saving the logbook data file in a directory that does
                          > exist, ie: $HOME, but Ed's recommendation is the preferred.
                          >
                          > 73, Dave, W1HKJ

                        • Merv Curley
                          Message 12 of 26 , Sep 14, 2008
                            I have this installed and running but I need some 'Help' which I
                            can't find in the program or on the website.

                            I clicked on Files - New, figuring that would start a dialogue for a
                            new log file but nothing happens.

                            I seem to recall a message from Dave about where the logfile should
                            be, ~/.fldigi I think.

                            So if someone can offer some basics to an old ham returning to the new
                            digital ways, much appreciated.

                            Regards to all

                            --
                            Merv Curley Ve3DAC
                            Toronto, Ont.Can

                            Linux Debian Unstable
                            KDE v. 3.5.8
                            Kmail v. 1.9.7
                            Message 13 of 26 , Sep 14, 2008
                              On Sun, 14 Sep 2008 20:16:29 -0400
                              Merv Curley <mcurley@...> wrote:

                              > I have this installed and running but I need some 'Help' which I
                              > can't find in the program or on the website.
                              >
                              > I clicked on Files - New, figuring that would start a dialogue for a
                              > new log file but nothing happens.
                              >
                              > I seem to recall a message from Dave about where the logfile should
                              > be, ~/.fldigi I think.
                              >
                              > So if someone can offer some basics to an old ham returning to the
                              > new digital ways, much appreciated.
                              >
                              > Regards to all

                              You need to create an empty file in /home/username and name it
                              logbook.lgb.

                              Ed W3NR

                              for the fldigi Alpha team
                            • Merv Curley
                              Message 14 of 26 , Sep 14, 2008
                                On September 14, 2008 8:47:48 pm Ed wrote:

                                > You need to create an empty file in /home/username and name it
                                > logbook.lgb.

                                Thanks Ed.

                                I went to create the file and it was already there, so it was created
                                when I ran fl_logbook maybe.

                                Just what is 'Files - New' for?

                                Is there any way to update the list of modes, like bpsk31 instead of
                                psk31 and to reduce the huge number of modes that I will never use?

                                I did put some data in fldigi, hit save and I have an entry in my
                                logbook.. Waddya know, a seldom achieved success, hi.

                                Thanks and 73

                                --
                                Merv Curley Ve3DAC
                                Toronto, Ont.Can

                                Linux Debian Unstable
                                KDE v. 3.5.8
                                Kmail v. 1.9.7
                                Message 15 of 26 , Sep 15, 2008
                                  On Sun, 14 Sep 2008 23:23:44 -0400
                                  Merv Curley <mcurley@...> wrote:

                                  > Just what is 'Files - New' for?

                                  In case you want to have more than 1 log.

                                  > Is there any way to update the list of modes, like bpsk31 instead of
                                  > psk31 and to reduce the huge number of modes that I will never use?

                                  Simple answer....nope

                                  > I did put some data in fldigi, hit save and I have an entry in my
                                  > logbook.. Waddya know, a seldom achieved success, hi.
                                  >
                                  > Thanks and 73

                                  Ed W3NR
                                • Merv Curley
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Sep 23, 2008
                                    I have been using the logbook for awhile and there are a number of
                                    beginners errors, how does one edit the file and then put it back to
                                    continue using it?

                                    Can I add the 'Notes' to the lower display?

                                    When I lengthen the window to see more entries, the top section
                                    becomes too big. Could the two sections be adjustable?

                                    Should I just be looking for a different log program?

                                    --
                                    Merv Curley
                                    Toronto, Ont.Can

                                    Linux Debian Unstable