Re: [linuxham] Re: fl_logbook

  • Michael Heim
    Message 1 of 26 , Oct 10, 2006
      works for me now too after adding both lines of code.  Compiles nicely now on Debian Etch.

      relieved to see I wasnt alone.  Thank you for your help.

      Mike, kd0ar
      Message 2 of 26 , Oct 10, 2006
        Michael Heim wrote:
        works for me now too after adding both lines of code.  Compiles nicely now on Debian Etch.

        relieved to see I wasnt alone.  Thank you for your help.

        Mike, kd0ar
        Thank you both Tim & Mike for bringing the compile problem to light.  My Debian system & the revision level on the gcc compiler did not balk on the  missing prototype for a friend method declared in the combo and calendar classes.  I am sure it has to do with ANSI compliance.  The fix was easy once the cause was identified.

        Dave, W1HKJ

      • Mike
        Message 3 of 26 , Oct 11, 2006
          I actually have Debian Stable AND Etch both installed on this pc now on 2 different drives.  It compiled fine on the stable Debian as well.  After compiling on the stable Debian, i copied the executable over to the Etch partition, and it ran fine.

          Once I got the code snippets, I then recompiled on Etch, and it worked fine.  So far I've had no problems now compiling everything I tried (logbook, fldigi and gmfsk) in Etch.

          If you remember the crash problem i have had on fldigi...  I'm also seeing it in WSJT in Etch. (WSJT is why I wont give up Etch for the time being as it isnt available in Sarge)  There were a string of OS updates that I installed for Etch that seems to have cured the crash problems so far.

          Havent had the crash problem in fldigi in awhile, however.  But I have been running it mostly from the Debian Sarge partition.  Havent run it in awhile from Etch.  Think tonite I'll get on using it in Etch and see what happens.

          I have learned quite a bit since I joined this group.  One thing is... not to test software in a "pre-release" version of linux and expect to give accurate bug reporting, as almost anything can cause problems, including faulty libs...

          Mike, kd0ar

          works for me now too after adding both lines of code.  Compiles nicely now on Debian Etch.

          relieved to see I wasnt alone.  Thank you for your help.

          Mike, kd0ar
          Thank you both Tim & Mike for bringing the compile problem to light.  My Debian system & the revision level on the gcc compiler did not balk on the  missing prototype for a friend method declared in the combo and calendar classes.  I am sure it has to do with ANSI compliance.  The fix was easy once the cause was identified.

          Dave, W1HKJ

          Checked by AVG Free Edition.
          Message 4 of 26 , Oct 11, 2006
            Mike wrote:
[...]

            When you do find problems in a pre-release distribution of Linux, especially Debian, you should report the problem with as much information as you can to debian.org.  You will be doing a great service to the future users of that release when it matures to a stable release.

            Dave
          • Mike
            Message 5 of 26 , Oct 12, 2006
              Trouble is, I dont know what was causing the crashes.  It was very unpredictable.

              The irritation I may have shown earlier was in the fact that I thought the problem was in fldigi, and had you chasing your tail trying to figure it out.  WSJT has been recently posted as a new package in the tree, and about a week or so later the updates (mostly libs) came available.  You are right, however, had I known what was causing the problem, I would have reported it.

              Message 6 of 26 , Jan 27, 2007
                Hello,

                I was having trouble with the fl_logbook program. It's losing my
                contacts. Is there a trick to setting this up? Thanks.

                --
                Jason Turning
                jturning@...
                Message 7 of 26 , Jan 28, 2007
                  jturning wrote:

                  >Hello,
                  >
                  >I was having trouble with the fl_logbook program. It's losing my
                  >contacts. Is there a trick to setting this up? Thanks.

                  Hello Jason,

                  Are you using fl_logbook on MS Windows or Linux? It makes a difference
                  as to where the program expects to save the files.

                  Dave, W1HKJ
                • Jason Turning
                  Message 8 of 26 , Jan 28, 2007
                    w1hkj wrote:

                    > jturning wrote:
                    >
                    >>Hello,
                    >>
                    >>I was having trouble with the fl_logbook program. It's losing my
                    >>contacts. Is there a trick to setting this up? Thanks.
                    >>

                    > Hello Jason,
                    >
                    > Are you using fl_logbook on MS Windows or Linux? It makes a difference
                    > as to where the program expects to save the files.
                    >
                    > Dave, W1HKJ

                    I'm using the Linux version with openSUSE 10.2. Where is it keeping the
                    file? Are there any configuration options I might need to tweak? I meant
                    to spend more time looking around, but I didn't see anything that stuck
                    out right away.

                    I've been loving FLDIGI BTW. Thanks.

                    Jason, N6WBL
                  • gawhite512
                    Message 9 of 26 , Jul 3, 2007
                      After now getting my SignaLink working with fldigi, I'm turning my
                      attention to getting the logger to work.

                      fldigi sends data to fl_logbook fine, but I can't seem to save or
                      recall data out of the fl_logbook app.

                      When I exit fl_logbook, it says it can't write to the database?

                      Is there any step-by-step process someone can lead me thru?

                      thanks,

                      73,

                      Gary - W5GW
                      Message 10 of 26 , Jul 4, 2007
                        gawhite512 wrote:
                        > After now getting my SignaLink working with fldigi, I'm turning my
                        > attention to getting the logger to work.
                        >
                        > fldigi sends data to fl_logbook fine, but I can't seem to save or
                        > recall data out of the fl_logbook app.
                        >
                        > When I exit fl_logbook, it says it can't write to the database?
                        >
                        > Is there any step-by-step process someone can lead me thru?
                        >
                        > thanks,
                        >
                        > 73,
                        >
                        > Gary - W5GW

                        Gary, you need to create the following folder

                        .fl_logbook (its (dot)fl_logbook)

                        open the folder and create an empty folder name it

                        logbook.lgb

                        That should get you up and running. HTH

                        Message 11 of 26 , Jul 4, 2007
                          Ed wrote:
                          > gawhite512 wrote:
                          >> After now getting my SignaLink working with fldigi, I'm turning my
                          >> attention to getting the logger to work.
                          >>
                          >> fldigi sends data to fl_logbook fine, but I can't seem to save or
                          >> recall data out of the fl_logbook app.
                          >>
                          >> When I exit fl_logbook, it says it can't write to the database?
                          >>
                          >> Is there any step-by-step process someone can lead me thru?
                          >>
                          >> thanks,
                          >>
                          >> 73,
                          >>
                          >> Gary - W5GW
                          >
                          > Gary, you need to create the following folder
                          >
                          > .fl_logbook (its (dot)fl_logbook)
                          >
                          > open the folder and create an empty folder name it

                          Sorry that should be empty file...not folder

                          > logbook.lgb

                          Ed
                          Message 12 of 26 , Jul 4, 2007
                            Ed's suggestion is correct. Here is why.

                            The default directory that fl_logbook will use to save logbook files is:

                            $HOME/.fl_logbook

                            as for example:

                            /home/w1hkj/.fl_logbook

                            As Ed pointed out there is a "dot" at the beginning of the directory
                            name. A dot at the beginning of any filename or directory name causes
                            it to be "hidden" by the file browser or an ls command. To see the
                            hidden directories and files use the command "ls -a"

                            The program should probably create the directory if it does not exist.
                            I will put that on the to-do list for fl_logbook.

                            You could also try saving the logbook data file in a directory that does
                            exist, ie: $HOME, but Ed's recommendation is the preferred.

                            73, Dave, W1HKJ
                          • Gary White
                            Message 13 of 26 , Jul 4, 2007
                              Thanks to all.

                              Once I got the .fl_logbook directory created all works FB now.

                              As you can probably guess, I'm unfamiliar with Linux, but I am getting
                              there. :-)

                              73,

                              Gary - W5GW

                              w1hkj wrote:

                              > Ed's suggestion is correct. Here is why.
                              >
                              > The default directory that fl_logbook will use to save logbook files is:
                              >
                              > $HOME/.fl_logbook
                              >
                              > as for example:
                              >
                              > /home/w1hkj/.fl_logbook
                              >
                              > As Ed pointed out there is a "dot" at the beginning of the directory
                              > name. A dot at the beginning of any filename or directory name causes
                              > it to be "hidden" by the file browser or an ls command. To see the
                              > hidden directories and files use the command "ls -a"
                              >
                              > The program should probably create the directory if it does not exist.
                              > I will put that on the to-do list for fl_logbook.
                              >
                              > You could also try saving the logbook data file in a directory that does
                              > exist, ie: $HOME, but Ed's recommendation is the preferred.
                              >
                              > 73, Dave, W1HKJ

                            • Merv Curley
                              Message 14 of 26 , Sep 14, 2008
                                I have this installed and running but I need some 'Help' which I
                                can't find in the program or on the website.

                                I clicked on Files - New, figuring that would start a dialogue for a
                                new log file but nothing happens.

                                I seem to recall a message from Dave about where the logfile should
                                be, ~/.fldigi I think.

                                So if someone can offer some basics to an old ham returning to the new
                                digital ways, much appreciated.

                                Regards to all

                                --
                                Merv Curley Ve3DAC
                                Toronto, Ont.Can

                                Linux Debian Unstable
                                KDE v. 3.5.8
                                Kmail v. 1.9.7
                                Message 15 of 26 , Sep 14, 2008
                                  On Sun, 14 Sep 2008 20:16:29 -0400
                                  Merv Curley <mcurley@...> wrote:

                                  > I have this installed and running but I need some 'Help' which I
                                  > can't find in the program or on the website.
                                  >
                                  > I clicked on Files - New, figuring that would start a dialogue for a
                                  > new log file but nothing happens.
                                  >
                                  > I seem to recall a message from Dave about where the logfile should
                                  > be, ~/.fldigi I think.
                                  >
                                  > So if someone can offer some basics to an old ham returning to the
                                  > new digital ways, much appreciated.
                                  >
                                  > Regards to all

                                  You need to create an empty file in /home/username and name it
                                  logbook.lgb.

                                  Ed W3NR

                                  for the fldigi Alpha team
                                • Merv Curley
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Sep 14, 2008
                                    On September 14, 2008 8:47:48 pm Ed wrote:

                                    > You need to create an empty file in /home/username and name it
                                    > logbook.lgb.

                                    Thanks Ed.

                                    I went to create the file and it was already there, so it was created
                                    when I ran fl_logbook maybe.

                                    Just what is 'Files - New' for?

                                    Is there any way to update the list of modes, like bpsk31 instead of
                                    psk31 and to reduce the huge number of modes that I will never use?

                                    I did put some data in fldigi, hit save and I have an entry in my
                                    logbook.. Waddya know, a seldom achieved success, hi.

                                    Thanks and 73

                                    --
                                    Merv Curley Ve3DAC
                                    Toronto, Ont.Can

                                    Linux Debian Unstable
                                    KDE v. 3.5.8
                                    Kmail v. 1.9.7
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Sep 15, 2008
                                      On Sun, 14 Sep 2008 23:23:44 -0400
                                      Merv Curley <mcurley@...> wrote:

                                      > Just what is 'Files - New' for?

                                      In case you want to have more than 1 log.

                                      > Is there any way to update the list of modes, like bpsk31 instead of
                                      > psk31 and to reduce the huge number of modes that I will never use?

                                      Simple answer....nope

                                      > I did put some data in fldigi, hit save and I have an entry in my
                                      > logbook.. Waddya know, a seldom achieved success, hi.
                                      >
                                      > Thanks and 73

                                      Ed W3NR
                                    • Merv Curley
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Sep 23, 2008
                                        I have been using the logbook for awhile and there are a number of
                                        beginners errors, how does one edit the file and then put it back to
                                        continue using it?

                                        Can I add the 'Notes' to the lower display?

                                        When I lengthen the window to see more entries, the top section
                                        becomes too big. Could the two sections be adjustable?

                                        Should I just be looking for a different log program?

                                        --
                                        Merv Curley
                                        Toronto, Ont.Can

                                        Linux Debian Unstable