Re: [linuxham] Re: fl_logbook

    Message 1 of 26 , Oct 9, 2006
      Dave,

      Please try adding the following line as new line 3 in the file combo.cxx

      void popbrwsr_cb (Fl_Widget *v, long d);

      Then do a recompile and see if it makes it past the compiler. Your
      present version of Suse might have a new version of the compiler than I
      am using and it is complaining about a "friend" method that was not
      declared.

      At least that is what it looks like. I don't get the same errors here.

      Dave
    • David Cooper
      Message 2 of 26 , Oct 9, 2006
        OK Dave
        that got us by the combo ok
        I now have 9 or the 10 compiled
        Its just the calendar.cxx that is causing an error now.
        below is the ouput
        i used make CFG=Release with the -k option so that i could see an error code
        i did this as again it would crash MINGW
        so it looks like it was only the combo (now ok I think)
        and calendar

        hope this helps.

        Dave ve3ixi

        cooper@linux-ve3ixi:~/bin/fl_logbook> make CFG=Release -k
        ----------Configuration: fl_logbook - Linux Release----------
        Compiling src/calendar.cxx
        src/calendar.cxx: In constructor ‘Fl_PopCal::Fl_PopCal(int, int, int, int,
        Fl_Input*)’:
        src/calendar.cxx:374: error: ‘popcal_cb’ was not declared in this scope
        make: *** [Release/calendar.o] Error 1
        Compiling src/table.cxx
        make: Target `fl_logbook' not remade because of errors.

        On Monday 09 October 2006 20:32, w1hkj wrote:
        > Dave,
        >
        > Please try adding the following line as new line 3 in the file combo.cxx
        >
        > void popbrwsr_cb (Fl_Widget *v, long d);
        >

        > Then do a recompile and see if it makes it past the compiler. Your
        > present version of Suse might have a new version of the compiler than I
        > am using and it is complaining about a "friend" method that was not
        > declared.
        >
        > At least that is what it looks like. I don't get the same errors here.
        >
        > Dave

      • Tim
        Message 3 of 26 , Oct 10, 2006
          fl_logbook now compiles with

          added on line 3 : combo.cxx
          void popbrwsr_cb (Fl_Widget *v, long d);

          Added on line 3: calendar.cxx
          void popcal_cb (Fl_Widget *v, long d);

          Red Hat FC5

          Many thanks for the help

          Tim
          A45WG, Muscat Oman
        • Michael Heim
          Message 4 of 26 , Oct 10, 2006
            works for me now too after adding both lines of code.  Compiles nicely now on Debian Etch.

            relieved to see I wasnt alone.  Thank you for your help.

            Mike, kd0ar
            Message 5 of 26 , Oct 10, 2006
              Michael Heim wrote:
              works for me now too after adding both lines of code.  Compiles nicely now on Debian Etch.

              relieved to see I wasnt alone.  Thank you for your help.

              Mike, kd0ar
              Thank you both Tim & Mike for bringing the compile problem to light.  My Debian system & the revision level on the gcc compiler did not balk on the  missing prototype for a friend method declared in the combo and calendar classes.  I am sure it has to do with ANSI compliance.  The fix was easy once the cause was identified.

              Dave, W1HKJ

            • Mike
              Message 6 of 26 , Oct 11, 2006
                I actually have Debian Stable AND Etch both installed on this pc now on 2 different drives.  It compiled fine on the stable Debian as well.  After compiling on the stable Debian, i copied the executable over to the Etch partition, and it ran fine.

                Once I got the code snippets, I then recompiled on Etch, and it worked fine.  So far I've had no problems now compiling everything I tried (logbook, fldigi and gmfsk) in Etch.

                If you remember the crash problem i have had on fldigi...  I'm also seeing it in WSJT in Etch. (WSJT is why I wont give up Etch for the time being as it isnt available in Sarge)  There were a string of OS updates that I installed for Etch that seems to have cured the crash problems so far.

                Havent had the crash problem in fldigi in awhile, however.  But I have been running it mostly from the Debian Sarge partition.  Havent run it in awhile from Etch.  Think tonite I'll get on using it in Etch and see what happens.

                I have learned quite a bit since I joined this group.  One thing is... not to test software in a "pre-release" version of linux and expect to give accurate bug reporting, as almost anything can cause problems, including faulty libs...

                Mike, kd0ar

                works for me now too after adding both lines of code.  Compiles nicely now on Debian Etch.

                relieved to see I wasnt alone.  Thank you for your help.

                Mike, kd0ar
                Thank you both Tim & Mike for bringing the compile problem to light.  My Debian system & the revision level on the gcc compiler did not balk on the  missing prototype for a friend method declared in the combo and calendar classes.  I am sure it has to do with ANSI compliance.  The fix was easy once the cause was identified.

                Dave, W1HKJ

                Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                Message 7 of 26 , Oct 11, 2006
                  Mike wrote:
[...]

                  When you do find problems in a pre-release distribution of Linux, especially Debian, you should report the problem with as much information as you can to debian.org.  You will be doing a great service to the future users of that release when it matures to a stable release.

                  Dave
                • Mike
                  Message 8 of 26 , Oct 12, 2006
                    Trouble is, I dont know what was causing the crashes.  It was very unpredictable.

                    The irritation I may have shown earlier was in the fact that I thought the problem was in fldigi, and had you chasing your tail trying to figure it out.  WSJT has been recently posted as a new package in the tree, and about a week or so later the updates (mostly libs) came available.  You are right, however, had I known what was causing the problem, I would have reported it.

                    Message 9 of 26 , Jan 27, 2007
                      Hello,

                      I was having trouble with the fl_logbook program. It's losing my
                      contacts. Is there a trick to setting this up? Thanks.

                      --
                      Jason Turning
                      jturning@...
                      Message 10 of 26 , Jan 28, 2007
                        jturning wrote:

                        >Hello,
                        >
                        >I was having trouble with the fl_logbook program. It's losing my
                        >contacts. Is there a trick to setting this up? Thanks.

                        Hello Jason,

                        Are you using fl_logbook on MS Windows or Linux? It makes a difference
                        as to where the program expects to save the files.

                        Dave, W1HKJ
                      • Jason Turning
                        Message 11 of 26 , Jan 28, 2007
                          w1hkj wrote:

                          > jturning wrote:
                          >
                          >>Hello,
                          >>
                          >>I was having trouble with the fl_logbook program. It's losing my
                          >>contacts. Is there a trick to setting this up? Thanks.
                          >>

                          > Hello Jason,
                          >
                          > Are you using fl_logbook on MS Windows or Linux? It makes a difference
                          > as to where the program expects to save the files.
                          >
                          > Dave, W1HKJ

                          I'm using the Linux version with openSUSE 10.2. Where is it keeping the
                          file? Are there any configuration options I might need to tweak? I meant
                          to spend more time looking around, but I didn't see anything that stuck
                          out right away.

                          I've been loving FLDIGI BTW. Thanks.

                          Jason, N6WBL
                        • gawhite512
                          Message 12 of 26 , Jul 3, 2007
                            After now getting my SignaLink working with fldigi, I'm turning my
                            attention to getting the logger to work.

                            fldigi sends data to fl_logbook fine, but I can't seem to save or
                            recall data out of the fl_logbook app.

                            When I exit fl_logbook, it says it can't write to the database?

                            Is there any step-by-step process someone can lead me thru?

                            thanks,

                            73,

                            Gary - W5GW
                            Message 13 of 26 , Jul 4, 2007
                              gawhite512 wrote:
                              > After now getting my SignaLink working with fldigi, I'm turning my
                              > attention to getting the logger to work.
                              >
                              > fldigi sends data to fl_logbook fine, but I can't seem to save or
                              > recall data out of the fl_logbook app.
                              >
                              > When I exit fl_logbook, it says it can't write to the database?
                              >
                              > Is there any step-by-step process someone can lead me thru?
                              >
                              > thanks,
                              >
                              > 73,
                              >
                              > Gary - W5GW

                              Gary, you need to create the following folder

                              .fl_logbook (its (dot)fl_logbook)

                              open the folder and create an empty folder name it

                              logbook.lgb

                              That should get you up and running. HTH

                              Message 14 of 26 , Jul 4, 2007
                                Ed wrote:
                                > gawhite512 wrote:
                                >> After now getting my SignaLink working with fldigi, I'm turning my
                                >> attention to getting the logger to work.
                                >>
                                >> fldigi sends data to fl_logbook fine, but I can't seem to save or
                                >> recall data out of the fl_logbook app.
                                >>
                                >> When I exit fl_logbook, it says it can't write to the database?
                                >>
                                >> Is there any step-by-step process someone can lead me thru?
                                >>
                                >> thanks,
                                >>
                                >> 73,
                                >>
                                >> Gary - W5GW
                                >
                                > Gary, you need to create the following folder
                                >
                                > .fl_logbook (its (dot)fl_logbook)
                                >
                                > open the folder and create an empty folder name it

                                Sorry that should be empty file...not folder

                                > logbook.lgb

                                Ed
                                Message 15 of 26 , Jul 4, 2007
                                  Ed's suggestion is correct. Here is why.

                                  The default directory that fl_logbook will use to save logbook files is:

                                  $HOME/.fl_logbook

                                  as for example:

                                  /home/w1hkj/.fl_logbook

                                  As Ed pointed out there is a "dot" at the beginning of the directory
                                  name. A dot at the beginning of any filename or directory name causes
                                  it to be "hidden" by the file browser or an ls command. To see the
                                  hidden directories and files use the command "ls -a"

                                  The program should probably create the directory if it does not exist.
                                  I will put that on the to-do list for fl_logbook.

                                  You could also try saving the logbook data file in a directory that does
                                  exist, ie: $HOME, but Ed's recommendation is the preferred.

                                  73, Dave, W1HKJ
                                • Gary White
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Jul 4, 2007
                                    Thanks to all.

                                    Once I got the .fl_logbook directory created all works FB now.

                                    As you can probably guess, I'm unfamiliar with Linux, but I am getting
                                    there. :-)

                                    73,

                                    Gary - W5GW

                                    w1hkj wrote:

                                    > Ed's suggestion is correct. Here is why.
                                    >
                                    > The default directory that fl_logbook will use to save logbook files is:
                                    >
                                    > $HOME/.fl_logbook
                                    >
                                    > as for example:
                                    >
                                    > /home/w1hkj/.fl_logbook
                                    >
                                    > As Ed pointed out there is a "dot" at the beginning of the directory
                                    > name. A dot at the beginning of any filename or directory name causes
                                    > it to be "hidden" by the file browser or an ls command. To see the
                                    > hidden directories and files use the command "ls -a"
                                    >
                                    > The program should probably create the directory if it does not exist.
                                    > I will put that on the to-do list for fl_logbook.
                                    >
                                    > You could also try saving the logbook data file in a directory that does
                                    > exist, ie: $HOME, but Ed's recommendation is the preferred.
                                    >
                                    > 73, Dave, W1HKJ

                                  • Merv Curley
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Sep 14, 2008
                                      I have this installed and running but I need some 'Help' which I
                                      can't find in the program or on the website.

                                      I clicked on Files - New, figuring that would start a dialogue for a
                                      new log file but nothing happens.

                                      I seem to recall a message from Dave about where the logfile should
                                      be, ~/.fldigi I think.

                                      So if someone can offer some basics to an old ham returning to the new
                                      digital ways, much appreciated.

                                      Regards to all

                                      --
                                      Merv Curley Ve3DAC
                                      Toronto, Ont.Can

                                      Linux Debian Unstable
                                      KDE v. 3.5.8
                                      Kmail v. 1.9.7
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Sep 14, 2008
                                        On Sun, 14 Sep 2008 20:16:29 -0400
                                        Merv Curley <mcurley@...> wrote:

                                        > I have this installed and running but I need some 'Help' which I
                                        > can't find in the program or on the website.
                                        >
                                        > I clicked on Files - New, figuring that would start a dialogue for a
                                        > new log file but nothing happens.
                                        >
                                        > I seem to recall a message from Dave about where the logfile should
                                        > be, ~/.fldigi I think.
                                        >
                                        > So if someone can offer some basics to an old ham returning to the
                                        > new digital ways, much appreciated.
                                        >
                                        > Regards to all

                                        You need to create an empty file in /home/username and name it
                                        logbook.lgb.

                                        Ed W3NR

                                        for the fldigi Alpha team
                                      • Merv Curley
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Sep 14, 2008
                                          On September 14, 2008 8:47:48 pm Ed wrote:

                                          > You need to create an empty file in /home/username and name it
                                          > logbook.lgb.

                                          Thanks Ed.

                                          I went to create the file and it was already there, so it was created
                                          when I ran fl_logbook maybe.

                                          Just what is 'Files - New' for?

                                          Is there any way to update the list of modes, like bpsk31 instead of
                                          psk31 and to reduce the huge number of modes that I will never use?

                                          I did put some data in fldigi, hit save and I have an entry in my
                                          logbook.. Waddya know, a seldom achieved success, hi.

                                          Thanks and 73

                                          --
                                          Merv Curley Ve3DAC
                                          Toronto, Ont.Can

                                          Linux Debian Unstable
                                          KDE v. 3.5.8
                                          Kmail v. 1.9.7
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Sep 15, 2008
                                            On Sun, 14 Sep 2008 23:23:44 -0400
                                            Merv Curley <mcurley@...> wrote:

                                            > Just what is 'Files - New' for?

                                            In case you want to have more than 1 log.

                                            > Is there any way to update the list of modes, like bpsk31 instead of
                                            > psk31 and to reduce the huge number of modes that I will never use?

                                            Simple answer....nope

                                            > I did put some data in fldigi, hit save and I have an entry in my
                                            > logbook.. Waddya know, a seldom achieved success, hi.
                                            >
                                            > Thanks and 73

                                            Ed W3NR
                                          • Merv Curley
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Sep 23, 2008
                                              I have been using the logbook for awhile and there are a number of
                                              beginners errors, how does one edit the file and then put it back to
                                              continue using it?

                                              Can I add the 'Notes' to the lower display?

                                              When I lengthen the window to see more entries, the top section
                                              becomes too big. Could the two sections be adjustable?

                                              Should I just be looking for a different log program?

                                              --
                                              Merv Curley
                                              Toronto, Ont.Can

                                              Linux Debian Unstable