Re: [linuxham] fl_logbook

  • tim@sy-edm.com
    Message 1 of 26 , Oct 9, 2006
      Mike - I have the same error on Red Hat Core 5

      Message 2 of 26 , Oct 9, 2006
        I retar'd the fl_logbook source and posted it on the web page.

        I am able to compile from MinGWStudio (that is what the fl_logbook.mdsp
        file is about).

        I test compiled for Debug
        make

        and for Release
        make CFG=Release

        all three compiled without errors and all three executables worked
        correctly.

        Please download the tarball, uncompress and try the compilation again.
        Let me know if your troubles persist.

        Dave, W1HKJ
      • dave cooper
        Message 3 of 26 , Oct 9, 2006
          Good Evening and Hapyy Thanksgiving

          This is what i get Dave
          ----------Configuration: fl_logbook - Linux Release----------
          Compiling src/combo.cxx
          src/combo.cxx: In constructor `Fl_PopBrowser::Fl_PopBrowser(int, int,
          int, int, retvals)':
          src/combo.cxx:13: error: `popbrwsr_cb' was not declared in this scope
          make: *** [Release/combo.o] Error 1

          have tried with MINGW and the other two ways
          MINGW even crashes as its doing the combo.

          Now it worked fine under 10.0 suse
          It may be I am missing some library or such with 10.1
          Have been checking that.

          Dave
          ve3ixi

          Message 4 of 26 , Oct 9, 2006
            Dave,

            Please try adding the following line as new line 3 in the file combo.cxx

            void popbrwsr_cb (Fl_Widget *v, long d);

            Then do a recompile and see if it makes it past the compiler. Your
            present version of Suse might have a new version of the compiler than I
            am using and it is complaining about a "friend" method that was not
            declared.

            At least that is what it looks like. I don't get the same errors here.

            Dave
          • David Cooper
            Message 5 of 26 , Oct 9, 2006
              OK Dave
              that got us by the combo ok
              I now have 9 or the 10 compiled
              Its just the calendar.cxx that is causing an error now.
              below is the ouput
              i used make CFG=Release with the -k option so that i could see an error code
              i did this as again it would crash MINGW
              so it looks like it was only the combo (now ok I think)
              and calendar

              hope this helps.

              Dave ve3ixi

              cooper@linux-ve3ixi:~/bin/fl_logbook> make CFG=Release -k
              ----------Configuration: fl_logbook - Linux Release----------
              Compiling src/calendar.cxx
              src/calendar.cxx: In constructor ‘Fl_PopCal::Fl_PopCal(int, int, int, int,
              Fl_Input*)’:
              src/calendar.cxx:374: error: ‘popcal_cb’ was not declared in this scope
              make: *** [Release/calendar.o] Error 1
              Compiling src/table.cxx
              make: Target `fl_logbook' not remade because of errors.

              On Monday 09 October 2006 20:32, w1hkj wrote:
              > Dave,
              >
              > Please try adding the following line as new line 3 in the file combo.cxx
              >
              > void popbrwsr_cb (Fl_Widget *v, long d);
              >

              > Then do a recompile and see if it makes it past the compiler. Your
              > present version of Suse might have a new version of the compiler than I
              > am using and it is complaining about a "friend" method that was not
              > declared.
              >
              > At least that is what it looks like. I don't get the same errors here.
              >
              > Dave

            • Tim
              Message 6 of 26 , Oct 10, 2006
                fl_logbook now compiles with

                added on line 3 : combo.cxx
                void popbrwsr_cb (Fl_Widget *v, long d);

                Added on line 3: calendar.cxx
                void popcal_cb (Fl_Widget *v, long d);

                Red Hat FC5

                Many thanks for the help

                Tim
                A45WG, Muscat Oman
              • Michael Heim
                Message 7 of 26 , Oct 10, 2006
                  works for me now too after adding both lines of code.  Compiles nicely now on Debian Etch.

                  relieved to see I wasnt alone.  Thank you for your help.

                  Mike, kd0ar
                  Message 8 of 26 , Oct 10, 2006
                    Michael Heim wrote:
                    works for me now too after adding both lines of code.  Compiles nicely now on Debian Etch.

                    relieved to see I wasnt alone.  Thank you for your help.

                    Mike, kd0ar
                    Thank you both Tim & Mike for bringing the compile problem to light.  My Debian system & the revision level on the gcc compiler did not balk on the  missing prototype for a friend method declared in the combo and calendar classes.  I am sure it has to do with ANSI compliance.  The fix was easy once the cause was identified.

                    Dave, W1HKJ

                  • Mike
                    Message 9 of 26 , Oct 11, 2006
                      I actually have Debian Stable AND Etch both installed on this pc now on 2 different drives.  It compiled fine on the stable Debian as well.  After compiling on the stable Debian, i copied the executable over to the Etch partition, and it ran fine.

                      Once I got the code snippets, I then recompiled on Etch, and it worked fine.  So far I've had no problems now compiling everything I tried (logbook, fldigi and gmfsk) in Etch.

                      If you remember the crash problem i have had on fldigi...  I'm also seeing it in WSJT in Etch. (WSJT is why I wont give up Etch for the time being as it isnt available in Sarge)  There were a string of OS updates that I installed for Etch that seems to have cured the crash problems so far.

                      Havent had the crash problem in fldigi in awhile, however.  But I have been running it mostly from the Debian Sarge partition.  Havent run it in awhile from Etch.  Think tonite I'll get on using it in Etch and see what happens.

                      I have learned quite a bit since I joined this group.  One thing is... not to test software in a "pre-release" version of linux and expect to give accurate bug reporting, as almost anything can cause problems, including faulty libs...

                      Mike, kd0ar

                      works for me now too after adding both lines of code.  Compiles nicely now on Debian Etch.

                      relieved to see I wasnt alone.  Thank you for your help.

                      Mike, kd0ar
                      Thank you both Tim & Mike for bringing the compile problem to light.  My Debian system & the revision level on the gcc compiler did not balk on the  missing prototype for a friend method declared in the combo and calendar classes.  I am sure it has to do with ANSI compliance.  The fix was easy once the cause was identified.

                      Dave, W1HKJ

                      Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                      Message 10 of 26 , Oct 11, 2006
                        Mike wrote:
[...]

                        When you do find problems in a pre-release distribution of Linux, especially Debian, you should report the problem with as much information as you can to debian.org.  You will be doing a great service to the future users of that release when it matures to a stable release.

                        Dave
                      • Mike
                        Message 11 of 26 , Oct 12, 2006
                          Trouble is, I dont know what was causing the crashes.  It was very unpredictable.

                          The irritation I may have shown earlier was in the fact that I thought the problem was in fldigi, and had you chasing your tail trying to figure it out.  WSJT has been recently posted as a new package in the tree, and about a week or so later the updates (mostly libs) came available.  You are right, however, had I known what was causing the problem, I would have reported it.

                          Message 12 of 26 , Jan 27, 2007
                            Hello,

                            I was having trouble with the fl_logbook program. It's losing my
                            contacts. Is there a trick to setting this up? Thanks.

                            --
                            Jason Turning
                            jturning@...
                            Message 13 of 26 , Jan 28, 2007
                              jturning wrote:

                              >Hello,
                              >
                              >I was having trouble with the fl_logbook program. It's losing my
                              >contacts. Is there a trick to setting this up? Thanks.

                              Hello Jason,

                              Are you using fl_logbook on MS Windows or Linux? It makes a difference
                              as to where the program expects to save the files.

                              Dave, W1HKJ
                            • Jason Turning
                              Message 14 of 26 , Jan 28, 2007
                                w1hkj wrote:

                                > jturning wrote:
                                >
                                >>Hello,
                                >>
                                >>I was having trouble with the fl_logbook program. It's losing my
                                >>contacts. Is there a trick to setting this up? Thanks.
                                >>

                                > Hello Jason,
                                >
                                > Are you using fl_logbook on MS Windows or Linux? It makes a difference
                                > as to where the program expects to save the files.
                                >
                                > Dave, W1HKJ

                                I'm using the Linux version with openSUSE 10.2. Where is it keeping the
                                file? Are there any configuration options I might need to tweak? I meant
                                to spend more time looking around, but I didn't see anything that stuck
                                out right away.

                                I've been loving FLDIGI BTW. Thanks.

                                Jason, N6WBL
                              • gawhite512
                                Message 15 of 26 , Jul 3 7:48 PM
                                  After now getting my SignaLink working with fldigi, I'm turning my
                                  attention to getting the logger to work.

                                  fldigi sends data to fl_logbook fine, but I can't seem to save or
                                  recall data out of the fl_logbook app.

                                  When I exit fl_logbook, it says it can't write to the database?

                                  Is there any step-by-step process someone can lead me thru?

                                  thanks,

                                  73,

                                  Gary - W5GW
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Jul 4 3:02 AM
                                    gawhite512 wrote:
                                    > After now getting my SignaLink working with fldigi, I'm turning my
                                    > attention to getting the logger to work.
                                    >
                                    > fldigi sends data to fl_logbook fine, but I can't seem to save or
                                    > recall data out of the fl_logbook app.
                                    >
                                    > When I exit fl_logbook, it says it can't write to the database?
                                    >
                                    > Is there any step-by-step process someone can lead me thru?
                                    >
                                    > thanks,
                                    >
                                    > 73,
                                    >
                                    > Gary - W5GW

                                    Gary, you need to create the following folder

                                    .fl_logbook (its (dot)fl_logbook)

                                    open the folder and create an empty folder name it

                                    logbook.lgb

                                    That should get you up and running. HTH

                                    Message 17 of 26 , Jul 4 3:06 AM
                                      Ed wrote:
                                      > gawhite512 wrote:
                                      >> After now getting my SignaLink working with fldigi, I'm turning my
                                      >> attention to getting the logger to work.
                                      >>
                                      >> fldigi sends data to fl_logbook fine, but I can't seem to save or
                                      >> recall data out of the fl_logbook app.
                                      >>
                                      >> When I exit fl_logbook, it says it can't write to the database?
                                      >>
                                      >> Is there any step-by-step process someone can lead me thru?
                                      >>
                                      >> thanks,
                                      >>
                                      >> 73,
                                      >>
                                      >> Gary - W5GW
                                      >
                                      > Gary, you need to create the following folder
                                      >
                                      > .fl_logbook (its (dot)fl_logbook)
                                      >
                                      > open the folder and create an empty folder name it

                                      Sorry that should be empty file...not folder

                                      > logbook.lgb

                                      Ed
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Jul 4 3:39 AM
                                        Ed's suggestion is correct. Here is why.

                                        The default directory that fl_logbook will use to save logbook files is:

                                        $HOME/.fl_logbook

                                        as for example:

                                        /home/w1hkj/.fl_logbook

                                        As Ed pointed out there is a "dot" at the beginning of the directory
                                        name. A dot at the beginning of any filename or directory name causes
                                        it to be "hidden" by the file browser or an ls command. To see the
                                        hidden directories and files use the command "ls -a"

                                        The program should probably create the directory if it does not exist.
                                        I will put that on the to-do list for fl_logbook.

                                        You could also try saving the logbook data file in a directory that does
                                        exist, ie: $HOME, but Ed's recommendation is the preferred.

                                        73, Dave, W1HKJ
                                      • Gary White
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Jul 4 9:19 AM
                                          Thanks to all.

                                          Once I got the .fl_logbook directory created all works FB now.

                                          As you can probably guess, I'm unfamiliar with Linux, but I am getting
                                          there. :-)

                                          73,

                                          Gary - W5GW

                                          w1hkj wrote:

                                          > Ed's suggestion is correct. Here is why.
                                          >
                                          > The default directory that fl_logbook will use to save logbook files is:
                                          >
                                          > $HOME/.fl_logbook
                                          >
                                          > as for example:
                                          >
                                          > /home/w1hkj/.fl_logbook
                                          >
                                          > As Ed pointed out there is a "dot" at the beginning of the directory
                                          > name. A dot at the beginning of any filename or directory name causes
                                          > it to be "hidden" by the file browser or an ls command. To see the
                                          > hidden directories and files use the command "ls -a"
                                          >
                                          > The program should probably create the directory if it does not exist.
                                          > I will put that on the to-do list for fl_logbook.
                                          >
                                          > You could also try saving the logbook data file in a directory that does
                                          > exist, ie: $HOME, but Ed's recommendation is the preferred.
                                          >
                                          > 73, Dave, W1HKJ

                                        • Merv Curley
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Sep 14, 2008
                                            I have this installed and running but I need some 'Help' which I
                                            can't find in the program or on the website.

                                            I clicked on Files - New, figuring that would start a dialogue for a
                                            new log file but nothing happens.

                                            I seem to recall a message from Dave about where the logfile should
                                            be, ~/.fldigi I think.

                                            So if someone can offer some basics to an old ham returning to the new
                                            digital ways, much appreciated.

                                            Regards to all

                                            --
                                            Merv Curley Ve3DAC
                                            Toronto, Ont.Can

                                            Linux Debian Unstable
                                            KDE v. 3.5.8
                                            Kmail v. 1.9.7
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Sep 14, 2008
                                              On Sun, 14 Sep 2008 20:16:29 -0400
                                              Merv Curley <mcurley@...> wrote:

                                              > I have this installed and running but I need some 'Help' which I
                                              > can't find in the program or on the website.
                                              >
                                              > I clicked on Files - New, figuring that would start a dialogue for a
                                              > new log file but nothing happens.
                                              >
                                              > I seem to recall a message from Dave about where the logfile should
                                              > be, ~/.fldigi I think.
                                              >
                                              > So if someone can offer some basics to an old ham returning to the
                                              > new digital ways, much appreciated.
                                              >
                                              > Regards to all

                                              You need to create an empty file in /home/username and name it
                                              logbook.lgb.

                                              Ed W3NR

                                              for the fldigi Alpha team
                                            • Merv Curley
                                              Message 22 of 26 , Sep 14, 2008
                                                On September 14, 2008 8:47:48 pm Ed wrote:

                                                > You need to create an empty file in /home/username and name it
                                                > logbook.lgb.

                                                Thanks Ed.

                                                I went to create the file and it was already there, so it was created
                                                when I ran fl_logbook maybe.

                                                Just what is 'Files - New' for?

                                                Is there any way to update the list of modes, like bpsk31 instead of
                                                psk31 and to reduce the huge number of modes that I will never use?

                                                I did put some data in fldigi, hit save and I have an entry in my
                                                logbook.. Waddya know, a seldom achieved success, hi.

                                                Thanks and 73

                                                --
                                                Merv Curley Ve3DAC
                                                Toronto, Ont.Can

                                                Linux Debian Unstable
                                                KDE v. 3.5.8
                                                Kmail v. 1.9.7
                                                Message 23 of 26 , Sep 15, 2008
                                                  On Sun, 14 Sep 2008 23:23:44 -0400
                                                  Merv Curley <mcurley@...> wrote:

                                                  > Just what is 'Files - New' for?

                                                  In case you want to have more than 1 log.

                                                  > Is there any way to update the list of modes, like bpsk31 instead of
                                                  > psk31 and to reduce the huge number of modes that I will never use?

                                                  Simple answer....nope

                                                  > I did put some data in fldigi, hit save and I have an entry in my
                                                  > logbook.. Waddya know, a seldom achieved success, hi.
                                                  >
                                                  > Thanks and 73

                                                  Ed W3NR
                                                • Merv Curley
                                                  Message 24 of 26 , Sep 23, 2008
                                                    I have been using the logbook for awhile and there are a number of
                                                    beginners errors, how does one edit the file and then put it back to
                                                    continue using it?

                                                    Can I add the 'Notes' to the lower display?

                                                    When I lengthen the window to see more entries, the top section
                                                    becomes too big. Could the two sections be adjustable?

                                                    Should I just be looking for a different log program?

                                                    --
                                                    Merv Curley
                                                    Toronto, Ont.Can

                                                    Linux Debian Unstable