another newbie needing help with Puppy and FLDigi

  • Jeff KP3FT
    Message 1 of 22 , Jan 5, 2009

      Hi all,
      Just joined yesterday and am enjoying the Puppy Linux OS I discovered a few days ago.  I'm presently running Puppy Linux 4.00.  I tried installing FLDigi according to the recent thread on this forum, but am clueless as to how to get it to run.  I downloaded all appropriate files and placed them in the correct folders, but can't run the program.  I unzipped the fldigi tar file into root/my-applications, but now what do I do?  When people say to "install" the fldigi file, is that what they mean, to just unzip the tar file into root/my-applications?  I've tried different Puppy ISO versions with the same result.  Thanks and 73
      Jeff KP3FT

      Message 2 of 22 , Jan 5, 2009
        Jeff KP3FT wrote:
        > Hi all,
        > Just joined yesterday and am enjoying the Puppy Linux OS I discovered a few days ago. I'm presently running Puppy Linux 4.00. I tried installing FLDigi according to the recent thread on this forum, but am clueless as to how to get it to run. I downloaded all appropriate files and placed them in the correct folders, but can't run the program. I unzipped the fldigi tar file into root/my-applications, but now what do I do? When people say to "install" the fldigi file, is that what they mean, to just unzip the tar file into root/my-applications? I've tried different Puppy ISO versions with the same result. Thanks and 73
        > Jeff KP3FT

        Jeff, open a terminal and you start fldigi with this ::

        ./fldigi

        If you have a problem, make sure the fldigi executable (blue diamond) is
        in /root/my-applications/bin and the libs are in the libs folder.

        Ed W3NR
      • KP3FT
        Message 3 of 22 , Jan 5, 2009
          Hi Ed,
          Tnx for the help. I'm getting closer...
          I executed Fldigi and got the same error message that Jerome VA7VV
          got: "Error while loading shared libraries: libportaudio.so.2: cannot
          open shared
          object file: No such file or directory". I renamed the file
          "libportaudio.so.0" to "libortaudio.so.2" and now get "./fldigi:
          symbol lookup error: ./fldigi:undefined symbol error: Pa_GetVersion".
          Is it possible to use some files from the DigiPup ISO version to make
          Fldigi work in Puppy Linux 4.00? I tried the DigiPup ISO and Fldigi
          worked fine, but would like to have Fldigi working in the newer
          version of Puppy.

          > Jeff KP3FT wrote:
          > > Hi all,
          > > Just joined yesterday and am enjoying the Puppy Linux OS I
          discovered a few days ago. I'm presently running Puppy Linux 4.00. I
          tried installing FLDigi according to the recent thread on this forum,
          but am clueless as to how to get it to run. I downloaded all
          appropriate files and placed them in the correct folders, but can't
          run the program. I unzipped the fldigi tar file into
          root/my-applications, but now what do I do? When people say to
          "install" the fldigi file, is that what they mean, to just unzip the
          tar file into root/my-applications? I've tried different Puppy ISO
          versions with the same result. Thanks and 73
          > > Jeff KP3FT
          >
          > Jeff, open a terminal and you start fldigi with this ::
          >
          > ./fldigi
          >
          > If you have a problem, make sure the fldigi executable (blue
          diamond) is
          > in /root/my-applications/bin and the libs are in the libs folder.
          >

          > Ed W3NR

        • Jeff KP3FT
          Message 4 of 22 , Jan 5, 2009
            I forgot, I also ran "ldd fldigi" in a /root/my-applications/bin terminal and got a lot of relevant info, but I'm not sure what to look for.  I ran it for the "libportaudio.so.2" and the renamed "libportaudio.so.0" files.

            Message 5 of 22 , Jan 5, 2009
              KP3FT wrote:
              > Hi Ed,
              > Tnx for the help. I'm getting closer...
              > I executed Fldigi and got the same error message that Jerome VA7VV
              > got: "Error while loading shared libraries: libportaudio.so.2: cannot
              > open shared
              > object file: No such file or directory". I renamed the file
              > "libportaudio.so.0" to "libortaudio.so.2" and now get "./fldigi:
              > symbol lookup error: ./fldigi:undefined symbol error: Pa_GetVersion".
              > Is it possible to use some files from the DigiPup ISO version to make
              > Fldigi work in Puppy Linux 4.00? I tried the DigiPup ISO and Fldigi
              > worked fine, but would like to have Fldigi working in the newer
              > version of Puppy.

              Ok, all you guys working on Pup and fldigi can rest easy, its not you,
              it was me. I dug out my Pup with fldigi 3.03 to see what I may have
              missed. Well I missed copying over 1 file, the one you all need.

              Please revisit the file area at Yahoo and re-download all "5" files.

              Sorry, this was worse than a senior moment, I should have rechecked my work.

              Ed W3NR
            • romers romansky
              Message 6 of 22 , Jan 5, 2009

                Ok, all you guys working on Pup and fldigi can rest easy, its not you,
                it was me. I dug out my Pup with fldigi 3.03 to see what I may have
                missed. Well I missed copying over 1 file, the one you all need.

                Please revisit the file area at Yahoo and re-download all "5" files.

                Sorry, this was worse than a senior moment, I should have rechecked my work.

                Ed W3NR

                Thanks Ed... and BTW, comparing the missing file now on Yahoo to my SuSe libportaudio.so.2 showed they were identical.
                Best,
                jerome - va7vv
              • rich
                Message 7 of 22 , Jan 5, 2009
                  Also keep in mind that this will work with RigCat fine, but if you
                  want to run "Hamlib" control, you will additionally need the
                  hamlib.so.whatever that goes with the model of radio you use. It
                  provides the "front end" to the Hamlib controller. Hamlib will
                  compile from source ok in Puppy with the right Devx sfs installed.

                  Rich
                  WA4SXZ

                  > KP3FT wrote:
                  > > Hi Ed,
                  > > Tnx for the help. I'm getting closer...
                  > > I executed Fldigi and got the same error message that Jerome VA7VV
                  > > got: "Error while loading shared libraries: libportaudio.so.2: cannot
                  > > open shared
                  > > object file: No such file or directory". I renamed the file
                  > > "libportaudio.so.0" to "libortaudio.so.2" and now get "./fldigi:
                  > > symbol lookup error: ./fldigi:undefined symbol error:
                  Pa_GetVersion".
                  > > Is it possible to use some files from the DigiPup ISO version to make
                  > > Fldigi work in Puppy Linux 4.00? I tried the DigiPup ISO and Fldigi
                  > > worked fine, but would like to have Fldigi working in the newer
                  > > version of Puppy.
                  >

                  > Ok, all you guys working on Pup and fldigi can rest easy, its not you,
                  > it was me. I dug out my Pup with fldigi 3.03 to see what I may have
                  > missed. Well I missed copying over 1 file, the one you all need.
                  >
                  > Please revisit the file area at Yahoo and re-download all "5" files.
                  >
                  > Sorry, this was worse than a senior moment, I should have rechecked
                  my work.

                  > Ed W3NR

                • Jeff KP3FT
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jan 5, 2009
                    A big thank you to you and all else involved.  Just had a psk31 QSO with W9DTR via Puppy Linux and FlDigi.  73!
                    Jeff KP3FT

                    Message 9 of 22 , Jan 5, 2009
                      On Mon, 2009-01-05 at 11:14 -0500, Ed wrote:
                      > KP3FT wrote:
                      > > Hi Ed,
                      > > Tnx for the help. I'm getting closer...
                      > > I executed Fldigi and got the same error message that Jerome VA7VV
                      > > got: "Error while loading shared libraries: libportaudio.so.2: cannot
                      > > open shared
                      > > object file: No such file or directory". I renamed the file
                      > > "libportaudio.so.0" to "libortaudio.so.2" and now get "./fldigi:
                      > > symbol lookup error: ./fldigi:undefined symbol error: Pa_GetVersion".
                      > > Is it possible to use some files from the DigiPup ISO version to make
                      > > Fldigi work in Puppy Linux 4.00? I tried the DigiPup ISO and Fldigi
                      > > worked fine, but would like to have Fldigi working in the newer
                      > > version of Puppy.
                      >

                      > Ok, all you guys working on Pup and fldigi can rest easy, its not you,
                      > it was me. I dug out my Pup with fldigi 3.03 to see what I may have
                      > missed. Well I missed copying over 1 file, the one you all need.
                      >
                      > Please revisit the file area at Yahoo and re-download all "5" files.
                      >
                      > Sorry, this was worse than a senior moment, I should have rechecked my work.
                      >

                      > Ed W3NR

                      Fldigi now running on My VM Ware Puppy. Audio tx OK. RX not so good.
                      Not quick enough to handle the USB signalink and can't get level control
                      of mic in. Need to dive under bench to plug into line but mic on other
                      sound card is available on speaker.
                      But as a proof of concept good enough for now.
                      73 Roger
                    • Hamish Moffatt
                      Message 10 of 22 , Jan 12, 2009
                        On Sun, Jan 04, 2009 at 07:04:31PM -0500, Ed wrote:
                        > > Almost....
                        > > ./fldigi: symbol lookup error: ./fldigi:undefined symbol error: Pa_GetVersion
                        > >
                        > > I also tried copying my libportaudio.so.2 file from my Suse10.3 into the /root/my-applications/lib folder. Fldidgi DID come up, but the sGmixer wouldn't come up (no error message-nada). There was a waterfall and I could see some sigs, but couldn't adjust anything.
                        >
                        > Your the 2nd person to get the same error. It has to do with port audio,
                        > but at this point I do not know how to correct it. I built it against

                        That's why you can't just rename the library. The .0, .2 etc suffixes
                        indicate the library version, and different versions aren't compatible.
                        The developers have deliberately changed the version number to indicate
                        that there is some incompatibility somewhere...

                        Hamish
                        --
                        Hamish Moffatt VK3SB <hamish@...> <hamish@...>