Re: [linuxham] Linux Slash Zero Font

  • Simon Brown (KNS)
    Message 1 of 20 , Dec 31, 2008
      Yes!

      Simon Brown, HB9DRV
      www.ham-radio-deluxe.com

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "w1hkj" <w1hkj@...>

      > A good idea Simon. Is the ASCII(216) also good for the European fonts?
    • Simon Brown (KNS)
      Message 2 of 20 , Jan 1, 2009
        From: "T + J Williams" <wa0eir@...>

        > Exactly! It's OK to display it but it should never be transmitted or
        > stored as data.
        > Or so I was told in so many words by G3PLX :-)

        Storing is really not a big problem, but you should always send zero unless
        you want to send slash zero - it is a valid character in some languages.

        Simon Brown, HB9DRV
        www.ham-radio-deluxe.com
      • Martin
        Message 3 of 20 , Jan 1, 2009
          Just uploaded the font pack I am using here into Files section. The
          "Consolas" font face looks pretty good. Give a try!

          HNY 73,
          Martin, OK1RR
          Message 4 of 20 , Jan 1, 2009
            Martin wrote:
            > Just uploaded the font pack I am using here into Files section. The
            > "Consolas" font face looks pretty good. Give a try!
            >
            > HNY 73,
            > Martin, OK1RR

            Thank you Martin, the new fonts work well in fldigi. I am always amazed
            at the knowledge lurking in the linuxham group.

            Ed W3NR

            HNY
          • Stelios Bounanos
            Message 5 of 20 , Jan 1, 2009

              > Just uploaded the font pack I am using here into Files section. The
              > "Consolas" font face looks pretty good. Give a try!

              It seems that the MS core fonts may not be redistributed in this format,
              and I'm not sure that derivatives are permitted at all. This would
              apply to k8zt's web page as well. Reference:

              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Core_fonts_for_the_Web

              Bitstream Vera and DejaVu are good quality truetype fonts and are
              available under a much more permissive license (they are also included
              in almost every Linux distribution). The DejaVu Sans Mono font has
              visually distinct 0/O and i/I/l/1 characters.

              http://dejavu-fonts.org/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

              A very nice fixed width font is jmk-neep-alt:

              http://www.jmknoble.net/fonts/

              Particularly the 12-point font, which is the same size as 6x13
              (a.k.a. "fixed"):

              http://www.jmknoble.net/fonts/neep-alt-ascii-12.jpg

              This is just about the only bitmap font I use these days. I have turned
              off antialiasing for bitmap fonts because, at a reasonably high
              resolution, it is perfectly crisp without (perceptibly) jagged edges.

              Other good fixed width fonts are Screen and Terminus.

              73,
              Stelios, M0GLD.
            • T + J Williams
              Message 6 of 20 , Jan 1, 2009
                Hi Simon.

                On Thu, 2009-01-01 at 11:25 +0100, Simon Brown (KNS) wrote:

                > > From: "T + J Williams" <wa0eir@...>
                > >
                > > Exactly! It's OK to display it but it should never be transmitted or
                > > stored as data.
                > > Or so I was told in so many words by G3PLX :-)
                > >

                > Storing is really not a big problem, but you should always send zero
                > unless
                > you want to send slash zero - it is a valid character in some
                > languages.

                I think we agree in part. Always use a zero for a zero. And use the
                slashed zero if you want that (Norse) character. The program can offer
                the option of displaying a zero with a slash in the GUI, if that is what
                the user wants.

                But, wouldn't storing a zero as a slashed zero cause problems in things
                like log files. That could cause problems for searches or sorts.

                > Simon Brown, HB9DRV
                > www.ham-radio-deluxe.com

                Happy New Year, everyone.
                Ted W - wa0eir
                http://wa0eir.ham.org
              • Simon (HB9DRV)
                Message 7 of 20 , Jan 1, 2009
                  From: "T + J Williams" <wa0eir@...>

                  > But, wouldn't storing a zero as a slashed zero cause problems in things
                  > like log files. That could cause problems for searches or sorts.

                  Yes indeed - but you could also just be storing the text in fldigi to a file
                  for later perusal :-)

                  Myself I display slash zero if the user so desires but always store zeros.

                  Now back to Wallace and Grommit...