Re: [linuxham] flidigi 3.03

  • Rick W
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 6, 2008
      Doug,

      You probably know this already, but just to make sure, the rig control
      (frequency, mode sharing) is not included with Tigertronics products.
      They are only designed to key the rig with its own audio derived VOX
      switching and provide some audio isolation.

      I don't generally recommend the Signalink products for home use since
      they are expensive, don't provide the rig control, plus another issue
      you will likely be hearing about. On the other hand, for
      emergency/portable work, this solution makes it much easier to interface
      with a specific rig. In fact, I have one for that purpose and it is set
      up with the 6 pin mini DIN which lets me interface it with our
      IC-7000's, 746 Pro, or even Kenwood V7.

      To interface the ICOM IC-7000 for rig control, you will need to buy or
      build an interface to convert COM to ICOM's TTL voltages. Since most
      computers only have USB ports, you will need an additional USB to COM
      adapter, then go to the interface, and from there to the CI-V port. One
      of the best solutions is the West Mountain Rig Runner, which is about
      the size of a USB Thumb Drive and converts directly from USB to CI-V
      with a small cable running to the rig. I have also made the simple two
      transistor converter. A good source of information on overall
      interfacing is from the very detailed Ham Radio Deluxe document. The
      7000's PTT can also be controlled via full rig control but having hard
      PTT keying is also useful if you run digital programs that do not
      provide rig control.

      73,

      Rick, KV9U

      > Doug Henry wrote:
      >
      >> Greetings, can someone direct me to URL for directions for installation
      >> with Ubuntu 8.10 using SignaLink USB and ICOM IC-7000. I'd like to have
      >> rig control installed too.
      >>
      >> Tnx Doug VE4TG
      >>

      > This should be more than enough to get you up and running.
      >

      > http://www.w1hkj.com/FldigiHelp/index.html
      >

      > Ed W3NR

    • Dennis Mingear
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 6, 2008
        *--- On Sat, 12/6/08, Rick W <mrfarm@...> wrote:

        *One of the best solutions is the West Mountain Rig Runner, which is about
        *the size of a USB Thumb Drive and converts directly from USB to CI-V
        *with a small cable running to the rig.

        Only one addition here, the Rig Runner from West Mountain is a power control/distribution buss;

        http://www.westmountainradio.com/RIGrunner.htm

        The USB rig control device is actually called RigTalk;

        http://www.westmountainradio.com/RIGtalk.htm

        Denny ... kd6cyl

        Hope keeps you going ... Fear keeps you alive!
        Brought to you by Ubuntu 8.10, and FireFox 3.0.3 through the magic of Linux.

      • Rick W
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 6, 2008
          Of course that should be RigTalk, not Rig Runner, HI.

          Have a Rig Runner too, but like Denny says, that is for power distribution.

          73,

          Rick, KV9U

          Dennis Mingear wrote:
          > *--- On *Sat, 12/6/08, Rick W /<mrfarm@...>/* wrote:
          >
          > *One of the best solutions is the West Mountain Rig Runner, which is
          > about
          > *the size of a USB Thumb Drive and converts directly from USB to CI-V
          > *with a small cable running to the rig.
          >
          > Only one addition here, the Rig Runner from West Mountain is a power
          > control/distribution buss;
          >
          > http://www.westmountainradio.com/RIGrunner.htm
          >
          > The USB rig control device is actually called RigTalk;
          >
          > http://www.westmountainradio.com/RIGtalk.htm
          >
          > Denny ... kd6cyl
          >
          > Hope keeps you going ... Fear keeps you alive!
          > Brought to you by Ubuntu 8.10, and FireFox 3.0.3 through the magic of
          > Linux.

        • Andrew Hart
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 7, 2008
            I found on Ebay over a year ago from KawaMall ( a US dealer) a USB to
            CI-V adapter that is very reasonably priced at less $5.00

            http://cgi.ebay.ca/USB-CI-V-interface-cable-for-ICOM-USA-Radio-
            NEW_W0QQitemZ150232077321QQihZ005QQcategoryZ4674QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksi
            dZp1713.m153.l1262

            I have been very satisfied with it.

            Andy - VE3NVK.