cannot get TLF to run

  • Graham Saville
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 2, 2008
      hi all, I have installed tlf from the ubuntu intrepid ibex repository
      and setup the config file but when I run it in gnome terminal I get the
      DX cluster run then when I press ":" which should switch it to tlf I get
      a message saying aborting and then program closes.

      any help would be useful I have had this logger running in an older
      version of ubuntu.

      --
      This Email was sent on:

      Tue Dec 2 17:49:25 GMT 2008

      73's From:

      Graham G1RNZ

      Email: g1rnz@... <mailto:g1rnz@...>
    • Bob Nielsen
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 2, 2008
        On Dec 2, 2008, at 9:49 AM, Graham Saville wrote:

        > hi all, I have installed tlf from the ubuntu intrepid ibex repository
        > and setup the config file but when I run it in gnome terminal I get
        > the
        > DX cluster run then when I press ":" which should switch it to tlf
        > I get
        > a message saying aborting and then program closes.
        >
        > any help would be useful I have had this logger running in an older
        > version of ubuntu.

        Intrepid appears to have tlf version 0.9.32.3, but the latest on the
        download site is 0.9.31-2, so I don't know where Joop got this one or
        what the difference is. I use 0.9.30 in hardy with no issues.

        Starting with 'tlf -d' will run in debug mode (mainly for rigctl)
        which may provide more information on what is causing tlf to abort.

        You might also try a simplified logcfg.dat file without a cluster
        connection, rig control, networking, etc., to see if that works, add
        them back in one at a time. Otherwise, you might want to go back to
        an earlier version from source code.

        probably a better place to get answers.

        73, Bob N7XY
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 2, 2008
          Graham Saville wrote:
          > hi all, I have installed tlf from the ubuntu intrepid ibex repository
          > and setup the config file but when I run it in gnome terminal I get the
          > DX cluster run then when I press ":" which should switch it to tlf I get
          > a message saying aborting and then program closes.
          >
          > any help would be useful I have had this logger running in an older
          > version of ubuntu.

          Bob is correct, the latest is .32.3 and it is the Debianized version of
          .31. I have used the .32.3 in Ubuntu 8.04 as well as earlier versions of
          both Ubuntu and Debian. It worked without problems, unless you plan on
          using it with fldigi for digi contesting.

          Can you let us know what your plans are for using tlf ? We may be able
          to find an alternative that may fill your needs.

          Ed W3NR
        • Graham Saville
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 2, 2008
            Hi Ed thanks for the reply, Yes I used it in Hardy Heron as well without
            any problems but I cannot get it to run in Intrepid. I want to use it
            for a 80m SSB contest I use Xlog as my main logger. I liked TLF as it
            had some good features very similar to SD in windows. I am now free
            of windows so would like to get it working. I will look at it again
            tomorrow may try an older version.

            graham

            Ed wrote:

            > Graham Saville wrote:
            > > hi all, I have installed tlf from the ubuntu intrepid ibex repository
            > > and setup the config file but when I run it in gnome terminal I get the
            > > DX cluster run then when I press ":" which should switch it to tlf I
            > get
            > > a message saying aborting and then program closes.
            > >
            > > any help would be useful I have had this logger running in an older
            > > version of ubuntu.
            > >

            > Bob is correct, the latest is .32.3 and it is the Debianized version of
            > .31. I have used the .32.3 in Ubuntu 8.04 as well as earlier versions of
            > both Ubuntu and Debian. It worked without problems, unless you plan on
            > using it with fldigi for digi contesting.
            >
            > Can you let us know what your plans are for using tlf ? We may be able
            > to find an alternative that may fill your needs.
            >
            > Ed W3NR

          • Graham Saville
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 3, 2008
              Hi all, I have spent sometime testing today and the results are:

              1) I tried TLF on Ubuntu Intrepid I cannot get TLF to run beyond the
              first DXcluster screen. Running in -d debug mode closes before any
              results are produced.

              2) I tried TLF on ubuntu server edition and it works but this is not
              usable for me on the server

              3) I have tried xTLF but this seems a bit unstable

              does anyone know of a good contest logger for linux that one can easily
              settup contests on such as the RSGB AFS contest

              Graham G1RNZ

              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 3, 2008
                Graham Saville wrote:
                > Hi all, I have spent sometime testing today and the results are:
                >
                > 1) I tried TLF on Ubuntu Intrepid I cannot get TLF to run beyond the
                > first DXcluster screen. Running in -d debug mode closes before any
                > results are produced.
                >
                > 2) I tried TLF on ubuntu server edition and it works but this is not
                > usable for me on the server
                >
                > 3) I have tried xTLF but this seems a bit unstable
                >
                > does anyone know of a good contest logger for linux that one can easily
                > settup contests on such as the RSGB AFS contest
                >
                > Graham G1RNZ

                Graham, if I read the rules correctly the exchange is RST + serial
                number. If that is the case, then you can use Xlog.

                Xlog is in the repository or you might find a newer version at
                Debian.org. Of course you can get the latest by Googling and build from
                source.

                I had no luck trying the various M$ pieces under WINE.

                Ed W3NR

                back to the 160 wire thats still laying on the ground