Re: [linuxham] Processors and Linux version

  • Steve/WM5Z
    Message 1 of 55 , Nov 2, 2008
      Well, I went to the store and bought a $15 NIC this morning. I put it in
      and the system saw it, and immediately told me it had something like 485
      updates ready for downloading. So, knowing many of these would be
      security updates, I let it run during lunch.

      I came back, and was going to install the NIC, but guess what, the HAL
      found the motherboard NIC, installed it, and now it works great! All I
      did was put the PCI NIC in and it fixed itself. Way cool Linux/Fedora.
      Couldn't have been any easier.

      The new motherboard did come with a couple of CD's for drivers for
      Linux, MAC and several versions of Windoz. I am guessing WindoZ doesn't
      recognize this NIC either without installing the driver. BTW, the
      datecode for the board says 0808. I am betting this means that it just
      hit the market.

      This is the first time I've ever seen memory sticks with heatsinks on
      them too. And I can attest to the fact they do get warm. I've added an
      extra fan to the case to blow air across these, and the video IC as well.

      Steve/WM5Z

      roger g6ckr wrote:
      > You could try an Ubuntu live CD which might recognise your NIC and then
      > save the required items to the hard drive.

    • Steve/WM5Z
      Message 55 of 55 , Nov 2, 2008