ububtu randon muting on audio

  • roger g6ckr
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 1, 2008
      Hi have any ububtu users noticed a random muting of audio over the last
      few weeks it happens 3 or 4 times a night.
      Sometime the level just reduces but most times it goes straight to mute.
      This is not fldigi related as I use the USB SignaLink for fldigi. This
      is related to the main system audio.
      73 Roger
    • Pierfrancesco Caci
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 1, 2008
        On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 10:46 PM, roger g6ckr <radio@...> wrote:
        > Hi have any ububtu users noticed a random muting of audio over the last
        > few weeks it happens 3 or 4 times a night.
        > Sometime the level just reduces but most times it goes straight to mute.
        > This is not fldigi related as I use the USB SignaLink for fldigi. This
        > is related to the main system audio.
        > 73 Roger

        Never seen this on my machine(s). Could you possibly have used some
        other software that interacts with the audio system? music players,
        video players, even flash in your web browser may be able to change
        volume.
        Can you reproduce the problem consistently?

        --
        Pierfrancesco Caci, ik5pvx
      • roger g6ckr
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 2, 2008
          On Thu, 2008-10-02 at 08:48 +0200, Pierfrancesco Caci wrote:
          > On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 10:46 PM, roger g6ckr <radio@...> wrote:
          > > Hi have any ububtu users noticed a random muting of audio over the last
          > > few weeks it happens 3 or 4 times a night.
          > > Sometime the level just reduces but most times it goes straight to mute.
          > > This is not fldigi related as I use the USB SignaLink for fldigi. This
          > > is related to the main system audio.
          > > 73 Roger
          >

          > Never seen this on my machine(s). Could you possibly have used some
          > other software that interacts with the audio system? music players,
          > video players, even flash in your web browser may be able to change
          > volume.
          > Can you reproduce the problem consistently?
          Reproduce would be the wrong word the number of times a night are fairly
          consistent though.
          But a lot of the time all I had done is logged in and started to do
          email. Log in is actually switch the PC on boot and login.
          It just did it then, big speaker crossed out pic in middle of screen for
          a second or so and now the speaker Icon top right near the date is also
          crossed out.
          As you can see not been on long. Evolution email is the only app I have
          started myself.

          roger@bilbo:~$ uptime
          16:25:35 up 29 min, 2 users, load average: 0.18, 0.39, 0.39

          It shows both users as me but I assume that's because I opened a
          terminal to do uptime.
          It will do it when I'm streaming audio or watching TV via a PCI tv card
          or not uses the audio system at all with the same consistancy.
          It's just an annoyance at the moment.
          >From memory it started about 6 weeks ago.
          73 Roger
        • Philip Webb
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 10, 2008
            Hi All,

            I have been trying to get the Hamfax program to run on Ubuntu 8.04 (HH).
            The program installs OK, but when I try to receive I get the following
            error message.

            "could not set audio format S16_LE"

            I have searched the internet, and the only reference to S16_LE has been
            in the source code, the relevent bit of which is reproduced below.

            00083 int format=AFMT_S16_LE;
            00084 if(ioctl(dsp,SNDCTL_DSP_SETFMT,&format)==-1
            00085 ||format!=AFMT_S16_LE) {
            00086 throw Error(
            00087 tr("could not set audio format S16_LE"));

            It would seem to me that S16_LE needs to be installed - but how - and
            where from ?

            Hamfax must be working for someone - is it associated with a particular
            distro ?

            OTOH If anyone would like to suggest an alternative program (in Linux)
            for the reception of HF fax and WEFAX I would be most grateful.

            Thanks in advance.

            73 Philip
            VK4HPW
          • Rick Kunath
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 11, 2008
              Philip Webb wrote:
              > Hi All,
              >
              > I have been trying to get the Hamfax program to run on Ubuntu 8.04 (HH).
              > The program installs OK, but when I try to receive I get the following
              > error message.
              >
              > "could not set audio format S16_LE"

              That's 16 KHz mono (little endian).

              > I have searched the internet, and the only reference to S16_LE has been
              > in the source code, the relevent bit of which is reproduced below.

              Is alsa utils installed? What about alsa-oss emulation?

              I sent along my config.log off list, that might help.

              I don't use Ubuntu, but I've never had trouble with HamFax on any
              Mandriva release over the years.

              I take it you have all of the necessary devels installed, and that
              ./configure didn't reveal anything missing?

              Rick Kunath, k9ao
            • T + J Williams
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 11, 2008
                On Sat, 2008-10-11 at 10:56 -0400, Rick Kunath wrote:

                > > Hi All,
                > >
                > > I have been trying to get the Hamfax program to run on Ubuntu 8.04
                > (HH).
                > > The program installs OK, but when I try to receive I get the
                > following
                > > error message.
                > >
                > > "could not set audio format S16_LE"
                >
                > That's 16 KHz mono (little endian).

                Actually, that's "16 bit" little endian.

                Ted W - wa0eir
                http://wa0eir.ham.org
              • Philip Webb
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 11, 2008
                  Thanks Rick,

                  I used the built in installer, to install the hamfax - perhaps that was
                  a mistake. I will go back and uninstall and do it the proper way as you
                  suggest and see how that goes.
                  Just got visitors, so it won't be until later.

                  Tahnks

                  Philip
                  VK4HPW

                  Rick Kunath wrote:

                  > Philip Webb wrote:
                  > > Hi All,
                  > >
                  > > I have been trying to get the Hamfax program to run on Ubuntu 8.04 (HH).
                  > > The program installs OK, but when I try to receive I get the following
                  > > error message.
                  > >
                  > > "could not set audio format S16_LE"
                  >
                  > That's 16 KHz mono (little endian).
                  >
                  > > I have searched the internet, and the only reference to S16_LE has been
                  > > in the source code, the relevent bit of which is reproduced below.
                  >
                  > Is alsa utils installed? What about alsa-oss emulation?
                  >
                  > I sent along my config.log off list, that might help.
                  >
                  > I don't use Ubuntu, but I've never had trouble with HamFax on any
                  > Mandriva release over the years.
                  >
                  > I take it you have all of the necessary devels installed, and that
                  > ./configure didn't reveal anything missing?
                  >
                  > Rick Kunath, k9ao

                • Rick Kunath
                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 11, 2008
                    On Saturday 11 October 2008 10:19:24 pm Philip Webb wrote:

                    > I used the built in installer, to install the hamfax - perhaps that was
                    > a mistake. I will go back and uninstall and do it the proper way as you
                    > suggest and see how that goes.

                    I always built HamFax from source, never had a problem.

                    Rick Kunath, k9ao
                  • Philip Webb
                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 12, 2008
                      Hi Rick,

                      Many thanks for your help. I did install and reinstall from source. The
                      only problem I then had was getting the right C++ compiler - Hi, and it
                      is now working fine.

                      It seems that the problem with the original install, may have been the
                      missing libaudio files.

                      Anyway, great stuff - thanks again.

                      73 Philip vk4hpw