Re: [linuxham] Fldigi & Olivia

  • Pierfrancesco Caci
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 30, 2008
      On Sat, Aug 30, 2008 at 12:30 PM, Erik Jakobsen <eja@...> wrote:
      > Wher can I se how to setup Olivia ?.
      >
      > I found a place under fldig - config, but don't know how to set it up.
      >
      > If seing a Olivia signal, there's no scope visbile, and this I think is
      > because
      > now audio is indicated by fldigi, but I might be wrong in that ?

      What exactly do you need to setup? I've made a couple of QSO in olivia
      and listened to a couple more without needing to change anything from
      the default settings. Just make sure it's actually olivia and not one
      of the other modes that look like it.

      From the OpMode menu, choose one of the three options (8/500, 16/500
      or 32/1000), or choose Custom if you want to use some other variant.

      If you want to do some tests I'm around for the next couple of hours.

      --
      Pierfrancesco Caci, ik5pvx
    • rich
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 30, 2008
        Erik,

        Configure, Modem, Olivia. I have found Olivia on 20 and 30m running
        250/8, 500/8, 500/16 and 1000/16. All seem to work well. 250/8 is
        set up from the 'custom' pull down list under the Olivia modem tab.

        Rich
        WA4SXZ

        --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, Erik Jakobsen <eja@...> wrote:

        > Wher can I se how to setup Olivia ?.
        >
        > I found a place under fldig - config, but don't know how to set it up.
        >
        > If seing a Olivia signal, there's no scope visbile, and this I think is
        > because
        > now audio is indicated by fldigi, but I might be wrong in that ?
        >
        > --
        > Med venlig hilsen / Best regards
        > Erik Jakobsen OZ4KK

      • Erik Jakobsen
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 30, 2008
          Pierfrancesco Caci wrote:

          > What exactly do you need to setup? I've made a couple of QSO in olivia
          > and listened to a couple more without needing to change anything from
          > the default settings. Just make sure it's actually olivia and not one
          > of the other modes that look like it.
          >
          > >From the OpMode menu, choose one of the three options (8/500, 16/500
          > or 32/1000), or choose Custom if you want to use some other variant.
          >
          > If you want to do some tests I'm around for the next couple of hours.

          I want to set up Olivia, so that I'm able to read what's going on.
          I have the Olivia signal just fine, but no readout

          About the test. I have to wait, because my beam is down at the present,
          but i hope,
          that I can get it up during the weekend.

          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 30, 2008
            rich wrote:
            > Erik,
            >
            > Configure, Modem, Olivia. I have found Olivia on 20 and 30m running
            > 250/8, 500/8, 500/16 and 1000/16. All seem to work well. 250/8 is
            > set up from the 'custom' pull down list under the Olivia modem tab.
            >
            > Rich
            > WA4SXZ

            Ok Rich. But what I cannot do is to read the Olivia signals. I have it
            ok on the waterfall, but no readout.

            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 30, 2008
              On Sat, Aug 30, 2008 at 3:59 PM, Erik Jakobsen <eja@...> wrote:
              > Ok Rich. But what I cannot do is to read the Olivia signals. I have it
              > ok on the waterfall, but no readout.

              too much squelch maybe?

              --
              Pierfrancesco Caci, ik5pvx
            • rich
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 30, 2008
                Erik,

                I have found that I may have to set squelch bar to minimum unless the
                signal is strong enough. Also the text of the decode is way behind
                the waterfall, usually the signal is out the bottom before I see any
                text in the display. I *think* that is normal for Olivia since the
                symbol rate is low to maximize noise immunity. YMMV. Unless the
                sender is using video ID or RSID I always wind up guessing which
                settings to use anyway, so several transmissions may pass by while I
                try different tone selections. {I wish everyone would use some form
                of ID when using other than BPSK!}

                Rich
                WA4SXZ

                --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, Erik Jakobsen <eja@...> wrote:

                > rich wrote:
                > > Erik,
                > >
                > > Configure, Modem, Olivia. I have found Olivia on 20 and 30m running
                > > 250/8, 500/8, 500/16 and 1000/16. All seem to work well. 250/8 is
                > > set up from the 'custom' pull down list under the Olivia modem tab.
                > >
                > > Rich
                > > WA4SXZ
                > >

                > Ok Rich. But what I cannot do is to read the Olivia signals. I have it
                > ok on the waterfall, but no readout.
                >
                > --
                > Med venlig hilsen / Best regards
                > Erik Jakobsen OZ4KK

              • Rick Kunath
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 30, 2008
                  Erik Jakobsen wrote:

                  >> Configure, Modem, Olivia. I have found Olivia on 20 and 30m running
                  >> 250/8, 500/8, 500/16 and 1000/16. All seem to work well. 250/8 is
                  >> set up from the 'custom' pull down list under the Olivia modem tab.
                  >> Rich
                  >> WA4SXZ

                  > Ok Rich. But what I cannot do is to read the Olivia signals. I have it
                  > ok on the waterfall, but no readout.

                  You need to make sure that you are using the right Olivia mode.

                  After that, that your sound card sample rate is reasonably close. Check
                  that using the calibrate routine. Also try using the native sample rate
                  of your sound card. Use the WWV routine.

                  On some of my machines, the Portaudio (Pulseaudio is even worse on
                  these) sample rate conversion isn't good enough. On these alsa-oss
                  emulation was a lot better.

                  How fast is this machine and what's the sound card and alsa driver?

                  Rick Kunath, k9ao
                • Erik Jakobsen
                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 30, 2008
                    Rick Kunath wrote:
                    > Erik Jakobsen wrote:
                    >

                    >>> Configure, Modem, Olivia. I have found Olivia on 20 and 30m running
                    >>> 250/8, 500/8, 500/16 and 1000/16. All seem to work well. 250/8 is
                    >>> set up from the 'custom' pull down list under the Olivia modem tab.
                    >>> Rich
                    >>> WA4SXZ
                    >>>

                    >> Ok Rich. But what I cannot do is to read the Olivia signals. I have it
                    >> ok on the waterfall, but no readout.
                    >>

                    > You need to make sure that you are using the right Olivia mode.
                    >
                    > After that, that your sound card sample rate is reasonably close. Check
                    > that using the calibrate routine. Also try using the native sample rate
                    > of your sound card. Use the WWV routine.
                    >
                    > On some of my machines, the Portaudio (Pulseaudio is even worse on
                    > these) sample rate conversion isn't good enough. On these alsa-oss
                    > emulation was a lot better.
                    >
                    > How fast is this machine and what's the sound card and alsa driver?
                    >
                    > Rick Kunath, k9ao

                    Thanks Rick and all other who replied to my query.

                    I will work on it, but today the bands are overcrowded with RTTY signals.
                    Such it is with contests

                    --
                    Med venlig hilsen / Best regards
                    Erik Jakobsen OZ4KK
                  • Leigh L. Klotz, Jr WA5ZNU
                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 31, 2008
                      Another trick with Olivia is to do shift-left-click when you select a
                      new Olivia signal or change Olivia submodes.
                      That will feed that last few seconds of sound through the Olivia modem
                      again and it will likely get enough data to start decoding.
                      Shift-left-click is really quite useful and I use it pretty much all the
                      time when switch signals.
                      Leigh/WA5ZNU
                    • Erik Jakobsen
                      Message 10 of 11 , Aug 31, 2008
                        Leigh L. Klotz, Jr WA5ZNU wrote:
                        > Another trick with Olivia is to do shift-left-click when you select a
                        > new Olivia signal or change Olivia submodes.
                        > That will feed that last few seconds of sound through the Olivia modem
                        > again and it will likely get enough data to start decoding.
                        > Shift-left-click is really quite useful and I use it pretty much all the
                        > time when switch signals.
                        > Leigh/WA5ZNU

                        Many thanks Leigh. I have got Olivia sigs in here now :-)

                        Erik OZ4KK