Re: [linuxham] RigCat - Kenwood TS570 - Debian unstable

  • Merv Curley
    Message 1 of 30 , Aug 3, 2008
      On August 3, 2008 7:53:06 am Ed wrote:
      > Nate Bargmann wrote:
      > > * Merv Curley <mcurley@...> [2008 Aug 02 23:55 -0500]:

      > The XML file says its for the 570, is the 570D a different animal?

      No, as N7XY has reported. I thought it was the first version , I got
      mine in '96. I didn't know Kenwood would upgrade it to the G
      version, a number of small but worthwhile improvements I have read.

      > Just some ideas from my experience with rigcat. Most people forget
      > to set dtrinit or rtsinit. One or the other needs to be a + value
      > depending on which line you are using. Also in the case of some
      > Kenwoods the rtscts needs to be set to true.

      My manual sez the 570D doesn't use DTR or DSR. But RTS and CTS are
      used so in the rig.xml the PORT section said

      RTSINIT -12 [ now +12 ]
      RTSPTT false
      RTSCTS true

      Restarted fldigi and still no joy with RigCAT.

      > You don't mention whether you have rig control in fldigi using
      > hamlib.

      While hamlib is installed I haven't tried it yet. I decided on rigCAT
      since you built it in and I don't like to change horses til the first
      one is dead. I have tried rigctl and it can read the freq of the
      570D.

      > If not, did you remember to click the initialize button and
      > the save config button ?

      Yes I even de-selected RigCAT and initialized like you suggest in the
      doc's. See I did read them.

      > You may also find that you need to restart
      > fldigi once you have either hamlib or rigcat set up.

      Tried it that too, even did a reboot, really desperate, hi.

      > Ed W3NR

      Solved, now on to the next problem!!!!

      In the rig config GUI screen, I hadn't selected the RTS boxes. Did
      that and now RigCat is working. Seems the GUI config is more
      important than the rig.xml file. Or my rig.xml file can't be read.

      I mentioned in another post that I edited the rig.xml with Kate, I
      don't want to install OpenOffice.org if I don't have too. Is there
      something special about the OOO writer program?

      Thanks for help here and overall for this fine program. All we need
      are more hams.

      Merv Curley
      Toronto, Ont.Can

      Linux Debian Unstable
      KDE v. 3.5.8
      Kmail v. 1.9.7
    • Merv Curley
      Message 2 of 30 , Aug 3, 2008
        On August 3, 2008 7:25:23 am Nate Bargmann wrote:

        > I wouldn't worry about CW for the moment if your desire is PSK31.

        It is, but there is little PSK31 on 80 and 40 but I have heard a few
        CW sig's. My TH6 beam came down in an ice storm, ruined the top of
        the tower so a new beam isn't going up. A wire dipole isn't much of
        a replacement for a beam.

        > > I don't think the Rigblaster supports CW, it handles CW like I
        > > gather Fldidi does with keyed audio. No mention in my Rigblaster
        > > manual about CW.
        >
        > It does. It takes the signal from the DTR line on the RS-232 port
        > and then activates the Key Out jack. I have that connected to the
        > Key In jack on my FT-920. I also used it for CW this past Field
        > Day with my FT-817.

        That is good news.
        That means I do have another RigBlaster to 570D cable down here in
        these piles of junk. I thought that was the case, but what is
        unusual I don't have any notes on scraps of paper about it. Whereas
        I do have notes about the Kam+ cable in the 570 manual and the cable
        is in the filing cabinet with the Kam+ manual.

        You already mentioned CWDaemon, is that what you used for CW or?

        > > My old GigByte motherboard has a useless ttyS1 port, I am now
        > > using ttyS2 and rigctl from the Hamlib utilities can talk to the
        > > the 570D. So my first problem is solved. Time for a new MB.
        >
        > No ttyS0 (COM1)?

        Yes but it has been used for my X10 home lighting [ heyu ] for many
        years. I added a PCI card with 2 serial ports years ago [ The U.P.S
        also needs a serial port ].

        Thanks Nate for the help, especially the ham stuff. You will see in
        my note to Ed that RigCAT is now working. So simple.....

        73, keep cool

        Merv

        --
        Merv Curley
        Toronto, Ont.Can

        Linux Debian Unstable
        KDE v. 3.5.8
        Kmail v. 1.9.7
      • Nate Bargmann
        Message 3 of 30 , Aug 3, 2008
          * Merv Curley <mcurley@...> [2008 Aug 03 15:17 -0500]:

          > I mentioned in another post that I edited the rig.xml with Kate, I
          > don't want to install OpenOffice.org if I don't have too. Is there
          > something special about the OOO writer program?

          Other than it is similar to Word Perfect and MS Office as a WYSIWYG
          word processor. Kate is a good choice since you're using KDE.

          73, de Nate >>

        • Nate Bargmann
          Message 4 of 30 , Aug 3, 2008
            * Merv Curley <mcurley@...> [2008 Aug 03 17:54 -0500]:

            > You already mentioned CWDaemon, is that what you used for CW or?

            I've used it with TLF, but not much since TLF doesn't match the way
            I've learned to log at the keyboard.

            Not using CWDaemon, but I've used the Rigblaster with CT for CW. Ham
            logging programs have settled on a common method for CW and PTT keying
            which allows good products like the Rigblaster to exist.

            > Thanks Nate for the help, especially the ham stuff. You will see in
            > my note to Ed that RigCAT is now working. So simple.....

            You're welcome, Merv. Glad to hear it's working.

            73, de Nate >>

          • Merv Curley
            Message 5 of 30 , Aug 3, 2008

              Hi Rick

              Thanks for popping into the thread. Rather red faced about my sloppiness with numbers. Being an owner for 12 years means I should have the model number in my RAM. But it is volatile RAM and doesn't keep its data very well anymore.

              On August 2, 2008 9:40:25 am Rick Kunath wrote:

              Rig is on COM2 then?

              Whats COM2?

              Just kidding but I am not very familiar with anything Windows. I went from 8 bit computers to OS/2 Ver 2.1; 3 and 4. Then Linux maybe in 97 or 98. Slackware Ver 3 or some such, difficult days those were. So was OS/2 now that I think of it, 20 floppies for the install and I did it more than once. Warp 4 was pretty nice I thought.

              > >> That's an audio error - the developers will have to answer that.

              > > The Konsole window where I started fldigi is now filled with that

              > > error, so is there something wrong with the audio from the

              > > transceiver to the soundcard?

              > Level into the computer too hot maybe?

              That would make sense, gotta get a pot into the audio from the 570.

              > Not sure we have all the info we need yet to answer everything.

              You sure didn't. As I posted earlier today, RigCAT is now working, just had to configure it. More red-facedness. No more error messages but I know the level into the sound card is too high.

              I found some 40 M. PSK tonight at 7071. One site I came across told me to look at 7080 but that is NG with W1AW doing its nightly code practice there. Where on 80 might I find PSK, so far nothing found but then I haven't heard a whole lot of activity on what used to be my favorite band.

              The other thing, where can I get general information about all these digital modes. Even the bspk site doesn't talk much about all the versions of bpsk, or what the difference is to psk31. Go away for a while and look what happens.

              Keep cool - 73

              Merv

              --

              Merv Curley

              Toronto, Ont.Can

              Linux Debian Unstable

              KDE v. 3.5.8

              Kmail v. 1.9.7

              Message 6 of 30 , Aug 4, 2008
                Merv Curley wrote:

                The other thing, where can I get general information about all these digital modes. Even the bspk site doesn't talk much about all the versions of bpsk, or what the difference is to psk31. Go away for a while and look what happens.

                Look here:  http://www.w1hkj.com/FldigiHelp-3.0/Modes/index.htm

                73, Dave, W1HKJ

              • roger g6ckr
                Message 7 of 30 , Aug 4, 2008
                  > No ttyS0 (COM1)?
                  Good point I just replied to a direct mail and missed that.
                  first comport should indeed be 0.
                  73 Roger
                • Merv Curley
                  Message 8 of 30 , Aug 6, 2008
                    On August 4, 2008 6:02:44 am w1hkj wrote:
                    > Merv Curley wrote:
                    > > The other thing, where can I get general information about all
                    > > these digital modes. Even the bspk site doesn't talk much about
                    > > all the versions of bpsk, or what the difference is to psk31. Go
                    > > away for a while and look what happens.
                    >
                    > Look here: http://www.w1hkj.com/FldigiHelp-3.0/Modes/index.htm
                    >
                    > 73, Dave, W1HKJ

                    Very nicely done Dave. More information than I really expected.

                    Thank you.

                    73

                    Merv

                    --
                    Merv Curley Ve3DAC
                    Toronto, Ont.Can

                    Linux Debian Unstable
                    KDE v. 3.5.8
                    Kmail v. 1.9.7
                  • Merv Curley
                    Message 9 of 30 , Aug 6, 2008
                      On August 3, 2008 9:32:59 pm Nate Bargmann wrote:
                      > * Merv Curley <mcurley@...> [2008 Aug 03 17:54 -0500]:
                      > > You already mentioned CWDaemon, is that what you used for CW or?
                      >
                      > I've used it with TLF, but not much since TLF doesn't match the way
                      > I've learned to log at the keyboard.
                      >
                      > Not using CWDaemon, but I've used the Rigblaster with CT for CW.
                      > Ham logging programs have settled on a common method for CW and PTT
                      > keying which allows good products like the Rigblaster to exist.
                      >
                      > > Thanks Nate for the help, especially the ham stuff. You will see
                      > > in my note to Ed that RigCAT is now working. So simple.....
                      >
                      > You're welcome, Merv. Glad to hear it's working.
                      >
                      > 73, de Nate >>

                      Could I send a note to your personal site about setting up my
                      hardware? Rather off topic stuff for a software List. Some spam
                      filters are a bit ruthless, hi.

                      Merv Curley, Ve3DAC
                      Toronto, Ont.Can

                      Linux Debian Unstable
                      KDE v. 3.5.8
                      Kmail v. 1.9.7
                    • Nate Bargmann
                      Message 10 of 30 , Aug 6, 2008
                        * Merv Curley <mcurley@...> [2008 Aug 06 19:40 -0500]:
                        > On August 3, 2008 9:32:59 pm Nate Bargmann wrote:
                        > > * Merv Curley <mcurley@...> [2008 Aug 03 17:54 -0500]:
                        > > > You already mentioned CWDaemon, is that what you used for CW or?
                        > >
                        > > I've used it with TLF, but not much since TLF doesn't match the way
                        > > I've learned to log at the keyboard.
                        > >
                        > > Not using CWDaemon, but I've used the Rigblaster with CT for CW.
                        > > Ham logging programs have settled on a common method for CW and PTT
                        > > keying which allows good products like the Rigblaster to exist.
                        > >
                        > > > Thanks Nate for the help, especially the ham stuff. You will see
                        > > > in my note to Ed that RigCAT is now working. So simple.....
                        > >
                        > > You're welcome, Merv. Glad to hear it's working.
                        > >
                        > > 73, de Nate >>
                        >
                        > Could I send a note to your personal site about setting up my
                        > hardware? Rather off topic stuff for a software List. Some spam
                        > filters are a bit ruthless, hi.

                        If it would be of interest to Fldigi users, then it probably would be
                        better on Dave's site or if it's Hamlib related it would be better
                        there, which I have access to as a Hamlib developer.

                        I'd be happy to take a look at it either way.

                        73, de Nate >>