Re: [linuxham] RigCat - Kenwood TS520 - Debian unstable

  • Rick Kunath
    Message 1 of 30 , Aug 2, 2008
      Merv Curley wrote:

      > Where is the baud rate set in fldigi? Not that it is going to help
      > until rigctl can communicate I guess.
      >
      > Next step - minicom. Thats taking me back a few years, hi.

      Take a look at CuteCom

      http://cutecom.sourceforge.net/

      It's a GUI version of Minicom and is a lot more pleasant to use. I've
      used it many a time to troubleshoot communication problems with devices.

      Rick Kunath, k9ao
    • Merv Curley
      Message 2 of 30 , Aug 2, 2008
        On August 1, 2008 6:13:56 pm Nate Bargmann wrote:

        > > TS 570D chaps.
        >
        > That sheds an entirely different light on the matter. ;-)

        I apologize for making you and others waste time replying about the
        wrong model of rig.

        > The rig control using Hamlib or RigCAT does not go through the
        > Rigblaster, it will connect directly to the radio.

        I am still trying to get familiarized with what all my hardware does.
        It has been 6 or more years since I was last active. I have a
        suspicion the Linux software I used then was aimed at the RigBlaster
        to handle PTT and VOX control and maybe other things? The rigblaster
        does provide one way of getting the soundcard audio to the 570D.
        That is if I use the soundcard spkr out for audio to the transmitter.
        In the mixer doc's it shows the PCM channel used for ?? Then in the
        CW section I think it says the left channel only contains the audio.
        Maybe this is a topic for another thread.

        > However, since
        > the '570 supports PTT via CAT, then you don't need the RS-232
        > connection to the Rigblaster unless you want to use it to key CW
        > with CWDaemon or the like.

        I don't think the Rigblaster supports CW, it handles CW like I gather
        Fldidi does with keyed audio. No mention in my Rigblaster manual
        about CW.

        I also have a Kam Plus from those days and its cable to the 570 has a
        separate mini plug to go into the rig's key jack. So thats how I
        would have done true CW I guess.

        > Your radio's manual will give you the details of connecting your
        > radio and computer for rig control.

        My old GigByte motherboard has a useless ttyS1 port, I am now using
        ttyS2 and rigctl from the Hamlib utilities can talk to the the 570D.
        So my first problem is solved. Time for a new MB.

        However I haven't found the magic for the rig.xml file for RigCAT.
        The Device is set and the baud rate and stop bits match the 570D
        settings. Must be something else in the file I don't recognize that
        needs to be changed from default.

        Thanks everybody for your replies.

        Merv Curley Ve3DAC
        Toronto, Ont. Can

        Linux Debian Unstable
        KDE v. 3.5.8
        Kmail v. 1.9.7
      • Nate Bargmann
        Message 3 of 30 , Aug 3, 2008
          * Merv Curley <mcurley@...> [2008 Aug 02 23:55 -0500]:
          > On August 1, 2008 6:13:56 pm Nate Bargmann wrote:
          >

          > > > TS 570D chaps.
          > >
          > > That sheds an entirely different light on the matter. ;-)
          > >
          > I apologize for making you and others waste time replying about the
          > wrong model of rig.

          No problem. :-)

          > > The rig control using Hamlib or RigCAT does not go through the
          > > Rigblaster, it will connect directly to the radio.
          >
          > I am still trying to get familiarized with what all my hardware does.
          > It has been 6 or more years since I was last active. I have a
          > suspicion the Linux software I used then was aimed at the RigBlaster
          > to handle PTT and VOX control and maybe other things? The rigblaster
          > does provide one way of getting the soundcard audio to the 570D.
          > That is if I use the soundcard spkr out for audio to the transmitter.
          > In the mixer doc's it shows the PCM channel used for ?? Then in the
          > CW section I think it says the left channel only contains the audio.
          > Maybe this is a topic for another thread.

          I wouldn't worry about CW for the moment if your desire is PSK31.

          > > However, since
          > > the '570 supports PTT via CAT, then you don't need the RS-232
          > > connection to the Rigblaster unless you want to use it to key CW
          > > with CWDaemon or the like.
          >
          > I don't think the Rigblaster supports CW, it handles CW like I gather
          > Fldidi does with keyed audio. No mention in my Rigblaster manual
          > about CW.

          It does. It takes the signal from the DTR line on the RS-232 port and
          then activates the Key Out jack. I have that connected to the Key In
          jack on my FT-920. I also used it for CW this past Field Day with my
          FT-817.

          It also keys the PTT line at the same time, but since most radios won't
          respond to the PTT line in CW mode with a plug in the Key jack nor will
          they respond to the Key jack in SSB/AM/FM modes, it all works out based
          on the mode the radio is set to.

          > I also have a Kam Plus from those days and its cable to the 570 has a
          > separate mini plug to go into the rig's key jack. So thats how I
          > would have done true CW I guess.

          I recall those days as well, having a KAM myself.

          > > Your radio's manual will give you the details of connecting your
          > > radio and computer for rig control.
          >
          > My old GigByte motherboard has a useless ttyS1 port, I am now using
          > ttyS2 and rigctl from the Hamlib utilities can talk to the the 570D.
          > So my first problem is solved. Time for a new MB.

          No ttyS0 (COM1)?

          > However I haven't found the magic for the rig.xml file for RigCAT.
          > The Device is set and the baud rate and stop bits match the 570D
          > settings. Must be something else in the file I don't recognize that
          > needs to be changed from default.

          Hopefully someone can weigh in as I'm not an expert at RigCAT.

          RigCAT and Hamlib are two different methods of supporting radio
          control. RigCAT is (at the moment) unique to Fldigi and Hamlib is a
          library used by many other programs. Hamlib support is available from
          Fldigi for radios that RigCAT does not yet support (like my FT-920).
          In some cases Hamlib offers support for more radio functions than
          Fldigi needs and hence than RigCAT supports.

          73, de Nate >>

          Message 4 of 30 , Aug 3, 2008
            Nate Bargmann wrote:
            > * Merv Curley <mcurley@...> [2008 Aug 02 23:55 -0500]:
            >>> That sheds an entirely different light on the matter. ;-)

            The XML file says its for the 570, is the 570D a different animal? Just
            some ideas from my experience with rigcat. Most people forget to set
            dtrinit or rtsinit. One or the other needs to be a + value depending on
            which line you are using. Also in the case of some Kenwoods the rtscts
            needs to be set to true.

            You don't mention whether you have rig control in fldigi using hamlib.
            If not, did you remember to click the initialize button and the save
            config button ? You may also find that you need to restart fldigi once
            you have either hamlib or rigcat set up.

            Ed W3NR
          • Bob Nielsen
            Message 5 of 30 , Aug 3, 2008
              On Aug 3, 2008, at 4:53 AM, Ed wrote:
              > The XML file says its for the 570, is the 570D a different animal?

              There are two TS570 models, the TS570S includes 6 meters and the
              TS570D does not. Otherwise, they are identical.

              There are differences between the TS570S/TS570D and TS570S(G)/TS570D
              (G), the (G) models being newer. The differences are shown at
              <http://www.ham.dmz.ro/kenwood/ts-570dg-g-upgrade.php>, but don't
              appear to affect the computer control features.

              Bob, N7XY
            • Merv Curley
              Message 6 of 30 , Aug 3, 2008
                On August 3, 2008 7:53:06 am Ed wrote:
                > Nate Bargmann wrote:
                > > * Merv Curley <mcurley@...> [2008 Aug 02 23:55 -0500]:

                > The XML file says its for the 570, is the 570D a different animal?

                No, as N7XY has reported. I thought it was the first version , I got
                mine in '96. I didn't know Kenwood would upgrade it to the G
                version, a number of small but worthwhile improvements I have read.

                > Just some ideas from my experience with rigcat. Most people forget
                > to set dtrinit or rtsinit. One or the other needs to be a + value
                > depending on which line you are using. Also in the case of some
                > Kenwoods the rtscts needs to be set to true.

                My manual sez the 570D doesn't use DTR or DSR. But RTS and CTS are
                used so in the rig.xml the PORT section said

                RTSINIT -12 [ now +12 ]
                RTSPTT false
                RTSCTS true

                Restarted fldigi and still no joy with RigCAT.

                > You don't mention whether you have rig control in fldigi using
                > hamlib.

                While hamlib is installed I haven't tried it yet. I decided on rigCAT
                since you built it in and I don't like to change horses til the first
                one is dead. I have tried rigctl and it can read the freq of the
                570D.

                > If not, did you remember to click the initialize button and
                > the save config button ?

                Yes I even de-selected RigCAT and initialized like you suggest in the
                doc's. See I did read them.

                > You may also find that you need to restart
                > fldigi once you have either hamlib or rigcat set up.

                Tried it that too, even did a reboot, really desperate, hi.

                > Ed W3NR

                Solved, now on to the next problem!!!!

                In the rig config GUI screen, I hadn't selected the RTS boxes. Did
                that and now RigCat is working. Seems the GUI config is more
                important than the rig.xml file. Or my rig.xml file can't be read.

                I mentioned in another post that I edited the rig.xml with Kate, I
                don't want to install OpenOffice.org if I don't have too. Is there
                something special about the OOO writer program?

                Thanks for help here and overall for this fine program. All we need
                are more hams.

                Merv Curley
                Toronto, Ont.Can

                Linux Debian Unstable
                KDE v. 3.5.8
                Kmail v. 1.9.7
              • Merv Curley
                Message 7 of 30 , Aug 3, 2008
                  On August 3, 2008 7:25:23 am Nate Bargmann wrote:

                  > I wouldn't worry about CW for the moment if your desire is PSK31.

                  It is, but there is little PSK31 on 80 and 40 but I have heard a few
                  CW sig's. My TH6 beam came down in an ice storm, ruined the top of
                  the tower so a new beam isn't going up. A wire dipole isn't much of
                  a replacement for a beam.

                  > > I don't think the Rigblaster supports CW, it handles CW like I
                  > > gather Fldidi does with keyed audio. No mention in my Rigblaster
                  > > manual about CW.
                  >
                  > It does. It takes the signal from the DTR line on the RS-232 port
                  > and then activates the Key Out jack. I have that connected to the
                  > Key In jack on my FT-920. I also used it for CW this past Field
                  > Day with my FT-817.

                  That is good news.
                  That means I do have another RigBlaster to 570D cable down here in
                  these piles of junk. I thought that was the case, but what is
                  unusual I don't have any notes on scraps of paper about it. Whereas
                  I do have notes about the Kam+ cable in the 570 manual and the cable
                  is in the filing cabinet with the Kam+ manual.

                  You already mentioned CWDaemon, is that what you used for CW or?

                  > > My old GigByte motherboard has a useless ttyS1 port, I am now
                  > > using ttyS2 and rigctl from the Hamlib utilities can talk to the
                  > > the 570D. So my first problem is solved. Time for a new MB.
                  >
                  > No ttyS0 (COM1)?

                  Yes but it has been used for my X10 home lighting [ heyu ] for many
                  years. I added a PCI card with 2 serial ports years ago [ The U.P.S
                  also needs a serial port ].

                  Thanks Nate for the help, especially the ham stuff. You will see in
                  my note to Ed that RigCAT is now working. So simple.....

                  73, keep cool

                  Merv

                  --
                  Merv Curley
                  Toronto, Ont.Can

                  Linux Debian Unstable
                  KDE v. 3.5.8
                  Kmail v. 1.9.7
                • Nate Bargmann
                  Message 8 of 30 , Aug 3, 2008
                    * Merv Curley <mcurley@...> [2008 Aug 03 15:17 -0500]:

                    > I mentioned in another post that I edited the rig.xml with Kate, I
                    > don't want to install OpenOffice.org if I don't have too. Is there
                    > something special about the OOO writer program?

                    Other than it is similar to Word Perfect and MS Office as a WYSIWYG
                    word processor. Kate is a good choice since you're using KDE.

                    73, de Nate >>

                  • Nate Bargmann
                    Message 9 of 30 , Aug 3, 2008
                      * Merv Curley <mcurley@...> [2008 Aug 03 17:54 -0500]:

                      > You already mentioned CWDaemon, is that what you used for CW or?

                      I've used it with TLF, but not much since TLF doesn't match the way
                      I've learned to log at the keyboard.

                      Not using CWDaemon, but I've used the Rigblaster with CT for CW. Ham
                      logging programs have settled on a common method for CW and PTT keying
                      which allows good products like the Rigblaster to exist.

                      > Thanks Nate for the help, especially the ham stuff. You will see in
                      > my note to Ed that RigCAT is now working. So simple.....

                      You're welcome, Merv. Glad to hear it's working.

                      73, de Nate >>

                    • Merv Curley
                      Message 10 of 30 , Aug 3, 2008

                        Hi Rick

                        Thanks for popping into the thread. Rather red faced about my sloppiness with numbers. Being an owner for 12 years means I should have the model number in my RAM. But it is volatile RAM and doesn't keep its data very well anymore.

                        On August 2, 2008 9:40:25 am Rick Kunath wrote:

                        Rig is on COM2 then?

                        Whats COM2?

                        Just kidding but I am not very familiar with anything Windows. I went from 8 bit computers to OS/2 Ver 2.1; 3 and 4. Then Linux maybe in 97 or 98. Slackware Ver 3 or some such, difficult days those were. So was OS/2 now that I think of it, 20 floppies for the install and I did it more than once. Warp 4 was pretty nice I thought.

                        > >> That's an audio error - the developers will have to answer that.

                        > > The Konsole window where I started fldigi is now filled with that

                        > > error, so is there something wrong with the audio from the

                        > > transceiver to the soundcard?

                        > Level into the computer too hot maybe?

                        That would make sense, gotta get a pot into the audio from the 570.

                        > Not sure we have all the info we need yet to answer everything.

                        You sure didn't. As I posted earlier today, RigCAT is now working, just had to configure it. More red-facedness. No more error messages but I know the level into the sound card is too high.

                        I found some 40 M. PSK tonight at 7071. One site I came across told me to look at 7080 but that is NG with W1AW doing its nightly code practice there. Where on 80 might I find PSK, so far nothing found but then I haven't heard a whole lot of activity on what used to be my favorite band.

                        The other thing, where can I get general information about all these digital modes. Even the bspk site doesn't talk much about all the versions of bpsk, or what the difference is to psk31. Go away for a while and look what happens.

                        Keep cool - 73

                        Merv

                        --

                        Merv Curley

                        Toronto, Ont.Can

                        Linux Debian Unstable

                        KDE v. 3.5.8

                        Kmail v. 1.9.7

                        Message 11 of 30 , Aug 4, 2008
                          Merv Curley wrote:

                          The other thing, where can I get general information about all these digital modes. Even the bspk site doesn't talk much about all the versions of bpsk, or what the difference is to psk31. Go away for a while and look what happens.

                          Look here:  http://www.w1hkj.com/FldigiHelp-3.0/Modes/index.htm

                          73, Dave, W1HKJ

                        • roger g6ckr
                          Message 12 of 30 , Aug 4, 2008
                            > No ttyS0 (COM1)?
                            Good point I just replied to a direct mail and missed that.
                            first comport should indeed be 0.
                            73 Roger
                          • Merv Curley
                            Message 13 of 30 , Aug 6, 2008
                              On August 4, 2008 6:02:44 am w1hkj wrote:
                              > Merv Curley wrote:
                              > > The other thing, where can I get general information about all
                              > > these digital modes. Even the bspk site doesn't talk much about
                              > > all the versions of bpsk, or what the difference is to psk31. Go
                              > > away for a while and look what happens.
                              >
                              > Look here: http://www.w1hkj.com/FldigiHelp-3.0/Modes/index.htm
                              >
                              > 73, Dave, W1HKJ

                              Very nicely done Dave. More information than I really expected.

                              Thank you.

                              73

                              Merv

                              --
                              Merv Curley Ve3DAC
                              Toronto, Ont.Can

                              Linux Debian Unstable
                              KDE v. 3.5.8
                              Kmail v. 1.9.7
                            • Merv Curley
                              Message 14 of 30 , Aug 6, 2008
                                On August 3, 2008 9:32:59 pm Nate Bargmann wrote:
                                > * Merv Curley <mcurley@...> [2008 Aug 03 17:54 -0500]:
                                > > You already mentioned CWDaemon, is that what you used for CW or?
                                >
                                > I've used it with TLF, but not much since TLF doesn't match the way
                                > I've learned to log at the keyboard.
                                >
                                > Not using CWDaemon, but I've used the Rigblaster with CT for CW.
                                > Ham logging programs have settled on a common method for CW and PTT
                                > keying which allows good products like the Rigblaster to exist.
                                >
                                > > Thanks Nate for the help, especially the ham stuff. You will see
                                > > in my note to Ed that RigCAT is now working. So simple.....
                                >
                                > You're welcome, Merv. Glad to hear it's working.
                                >
                                > 73, de Nate >>

                                Could I send a note to your personal site about setting up my
                                hardware? Rather off topic stuff for a software List. Some spam
                                filters are a bit ruthless, hi.

                                Merv Curley, Ve3DAC
                                Toronto, Ont.Can

                                Linux Debian Unstable
                                KDE v. 3.5.8
                                Kmail v. 1.9.7
                              • Nate Bargmann
                                Message 15 of 30 , Aug 6, 2008
                                  * Merv Curley <mcurley@...> [2008 Aug 06 19:40 -0500]:
                                  > On August 3, 2008 9:32:59 pm Nate Bargmann wrote:
                                  > > * Merv Curley <mcurley@...> [2008 Aug 03 17:54 -0500]:
                                  > > > You already mentioned CWDaemon, is that what you used for CW or?
                                  > >
                                  > > I've used it with TLF, but not much since TLF doesn't match the way
                                  > > I've learned to log at the keyboard.
                                  > >
                                  > > Not using CWDaemon, but I've used the Rigblaster with CT for CW.
                                  > > Ham logging programs have settled on a common method for CW and PTT
                                  > > keying which allows good products like the Rigblaster to exist.
                                  > >
                                  > > > Thanks Nate for the help, especially the ham stuff. You will see
                                  > > > in my note to Ed that RigCAT is now working. So simple.....
                                  > >
                                  > > You're welcome, Merv. Glad to hear it's working.
                                  > >
                                  > > 73, de Nate >>
                                  >
                                  > Could I send a note to your personal site about setting up my
                                  > hardware? Rather off topic stuff for a software List. Some spam
                                  > filters are a bit ruthless, hi.

                                  If it would be of interest to Fldigi users, then it probably would be
                                  better on Dave's site or if it's Hamlib related it would be better
                                  there, which I have access to as a Hamlib developer.

                                  I'd be happy to take a look at it either way.

                                  73, de Nate >>