Re: [linuxham] RigCat - Kenwood TS-570D - Debian unstable

  • Nate Bargmann
    Message 1 of 30 , Aug 1, 2008
      * Jose A. Amador <amador@...> [2008 Aug 01 14:46 -0500]:

      > I have repaired a few 520's since the early 80's, and I believe that the
      > 820 predates 1980, but cannot be sure. Certainly, the 520/820 are no
      > newer than 1983, and those radios have no CAT and no remote mode
      > selection capabilities. I cannot tell about the DG-5.

      The earliest Kenwood in Hamlib is the TS-930 which was fully
      synthesized. Even the TS-430 is not in Hamlib but the '440 is.

      ------

      Bob Nielsen wrote:

      > > Possibly the accessory digital display (DG-5) may have added
      > > frequency reading (I don't think the TS-520 used a PLL, so frequency
      > > control may not have been possible). I googled a bit, but couldn't
      > > find any details. I recall that the TS-530 was similar to the '520,
      > > but had a built-in digital readout. There is no mention of a digital
      > > connection in the manuals for either of these at <http://
      > > bama.edebris.com/manuals/kenwood/>.

      The DG-5 did not do anything more than give a digital readout that the
      built-in displays of the '820, '530', and '830 did. The '830 had a
      digital VFO available that brought PLL stability to the radio when it
      was used for frequency control but it also lacked provision for
      external control. The DG-5 comes from a time when an RS-232 port
      probably cost as much as it did!

      External computer control only came into being with fully synthesized
      radios and even some early models of those lacked external support.
      Radios with a built-in RS-232 level port are fairly recent with most
      older rigs requiring a level converter. I understand that some new
      models have been introduced with USB ports at Dayton this year.

      73, de Nate >>

    • roger g6ckr
      Message 2 of 30 , Aug 1, 2008
        Might also be of use if not already a user.
        But a straight female to female 9 pin D lead is all that's needed.
        rig cat works fine for me but I have used hamlib as well.
        I use the 48 -1 setting (menu item 35) which is the default I think and
        if I recall correctly is set in hamlib.
        I could be wrong on the last point.
        Don't forget to initialise and watch for ctrl in the bottom right of the
        radio display.
        73 Roger G6CKR

        On Fri, 2008-08-01 at 17:13 -0500, Nate Bargmann wrote:
        > * Merv Curley <mcurley@...> [2008 Aug 01 16:20 -0500]:

        > > OOps now what is wrong with my fingers - and my eyes....
        > >
        > > TS 570D chaps.
        >
        > That sheds an entirely different light on the matter. ;-)
        >
        > The rig control using Hamlib or RigCAT does not go through the
        > Rigblaster, it will connect directly to the radio. However, since the
        > '570 supports PTT via CAT, then you don't need the RS-232 connection to
        > the Rigblaster unless you want to use it to key CW with CWDaemon or the
        > like.
        >
        > Your radio's manual will give you the details of connecting your radio
        > and computer for rig control.
        >
        > 73, de Nate >>

      • Rick Kunath
        Message 3 of 30 , Aug 2, 2008
          Merv Curley wrote:

          > Are you sure? The manual lists some 50+ commands between the computer
          > and the transceiver. There are only two used I believe in the
          > rig.xml file for the 520 at the fldigi site. One is 'FA' for
          > reading and setting the 'A' VFO [FB for the 'B' VFO] and 'MD' for
          > setting and reading the modulation mode.

          <Snipped>

          > While the 520 is now out of production [2007], it is a late 90's
          > design, is synthesized, has computer control [ RS232 ] and an
          > accessory socket to work with TNC's and MCP's. The accessory socket
          > [13 pin] supplies audio to the soundard, mic/digital data in, PTT
          > control etc.

          We can't be talking about a Kenwood TS-520 then, are we? It isn't a CAT
          controllable transceiver, and isn't a late 90s design. A 530 maybe?

          What is the radio then Merv?

          Rick Kunath, k9ao
        • Rick Kunath
          Message 4 of 30 , Aug 2, 2008
            Merv Curley wrote:

            > The port is correct,
            > fuser -u /dev/ttyS1 4215[merv] should mean perms ok [?]

            Rig is on COM2 then?

            >>> PA-ReadStream: Input overflowed.
            >> That's an audio error - the developers will have to answer that.
            >>
            > The Konsole window where I started fldigi is now filled with that
            > error, so is there something wrong with the audio from the
            > transceiver to the soundcard?

            Level into the computer too hot maybe?

            >>> Does this mean I can't use the version 2.10.3 in the Debian
            >>> repository? Or is there something else to explain why RigCat
            >>> doesn't work?

            I don't see an XML file for your rig, whatever the model actually is?

            >> I don't think it's a problem specific to the packaged version.

            Not sure we have all the info we need yet to answer everything.

            Rick Kunath, k9ao
          • Rick Kunath
            Message 5 of 30 , Aug 2, 2008
              Merv Curley wrote:

              > Where is the baud rate set in fldigi? Not that it is going to help
              > until rigctl can communicate I guess.
              >
              > Next step - minicom. Thats taking me back a few years, hi.

              Take a look at CuteCom

              http://cutecom.sourceforge.net/

              It's a GUI version of Minicom and is a lot more pleasant to use. I've
              used it many a time to troubleshoot communication problems with devices.

              Rick Kunath, k9ao
            • Merv Curley
              Message 6 of 30 , Aug 2, 2008
                On August 1, 2008 6:13:56 pm Nate Bargmann wrote:

                > > TS 570D chaps.
                >
                > That sheds an entirely different light on the matter. ;-)

                I apologize for making you and others waste time replying about the
                wrong model of rig.

                > The rig control using Hamlib or RigCAT does not go through the
                > Rigblaster, it will connect directly to the radio.

                I am still trying to get familiarized with what all my hardware does.
                It has been 6 or more years since I was last active. I have a
                suspicion the Linux software I used then was aimed at the RigBlaster
                to handle PTT and VOX control and maybe other things? The rigblaster
                does provide one way of getting the soundcard audio to the 570D.
                That is if I use the soundcard spkr out for audio to the transmitter.
                In the mixer doc's it shows the PCM channel used for ?? Then in the
                CW section I think it says the left channel only contains the audio.
                Maybe this is a topic for another thread.

                > However, since
                > the '570 supports PTT via CAT, then you don't need the RS-232
                > connection to the Rigblaster unless you want to use it to key CW
                > with CWDaemon or the like.

                I don't think the Rigblaster supports CW, it handles CW like I gather
                Fldidi does with keyed audio. No mention in my Rigblaster manual
                about CW.

                I also have a Kam Plus from those days and its cable to the 570 has a
                separate mini plug to go into the rig's key jack. So thats how I
                would have done true CW I guess.

                > Your radio's manual will give you the details of connecting your
                > radio and computer for rig control.

                My old GigByte motherboard has a useless ttyS1 port, I am now using
                ttyS2 and rigctl from the Hamlib utilities can talk to the the 570D.
                So my first problem is solved. Time for a new MB.

                However I haven't found the magic for the rig.xml file for RigCAT.
                The Device is set and the baud rate and stop bits match the 570D
                settings. Must be something else in the file I don't recognize that
                needs to be changed from default.

                Thanks everybody for your replies.

                Merv Curley Ve3DAC
                Toronto, Ont. Can

                Linux Debian Unstable
                KDE v. 3.5.8
                Kmail v. 1.9.7
              • Nate Bargmann
                Message 7 of 30 , Aug 3, 2008
                  * Merv Curley <mcurley@...> [2008 Aug 02 23:55 -0500]:
                  > On August 1, 2008 6:13:56 pm Nate Bargmann wrote:
                  >

                  > > > TS 570D chaps.
                  > >
                  > > That sheds an entirely different light on the matter. ;-)
                  > >
                  > I apologize for making you and others waste time replying about the
                  > wrong model of rig.

                  No problem. :-)

                  > > The rig control using Hamlib or RigCAT does not go through the
                  > > Rigblaster, it will connect directly to the radio.
                  >
                  > I am still trying to get familiarized with what all my hardware does.
                  > It has been 6 or more years since I was last active. I have a
                  > suspicion the Linux software I used then was aimed at the RigBlaster
                  > to handle PTT and VOX control and maybe other things? The rigblaster
                  > does provide one way of getting the soundcard audio to the 570D.
                  > That is if I use the soundcard spkr out for audio to the transmitter.
                  > In the mixer doc's it shows the PCM channel used for ?? Then in the
                  > CW section I think it says the left channel only contains the audio.
                  > Maybe this is a topic for another thread.

                  I wouldn't worry about CW for the moment if your desire is PSK31.

                  > > However, since
                  > > the '570 supports PTT via CAT, then you don't need the RS-232
                  > > connection to the Rigblaster unless you want to use it to key CW
                  > > with CWDaemon or the like.
                  >
                  > I don't think the Rigblaster supports CW, it handles CW like I gather
                  > Fldidi does with keyed audio. No mention in my Rigblaster manual
                  > about CW.

                  It does. It takes the signal from the DTR line on the RS-232 port and
                  then activates the Key Out jack. I have that connected to the Key In
                  jack on my FT-920. I also used it for CW this past Field Day with my
                  FT-817.

                  It also keys the PTT line at the same time, but since most radios won't
                  respond to the PTT line in CW mode with a plug in the Key jack nor will
                  they respond to the Key jack in SSB/AM/FM modes, it all works out based
                  on the mode the radio is set to.

                  > I also have a Kam Plus from those days and its cable to the 570 has a
                  > separate mini plug to go into the rig's key jack. So thats how I
                  > would have done true CW I guess.

                  I recall those days as well, having a KAM myself.

                  > > Your radio's manual will give you the details of connecting your
                  > > radio and computer for rig control.
                  >
                  > My old GigByte motherboard has a useless ttyS1 port, I am now using
                  > ttyS2 and rigctl from the Hamlib utilities can talk to the the 570D.
                  > So my first problem is solved. Time for a new MB.

                  No ttyS0 (COM1)?

                  > However I haven't found the magic for the rig.xml file for RigCAT.
                  > The Device is set and the baud rate and stop bits match the 570D
                  > settings. Must be something else in the file I don't recognize that
                  > needs to be changed from default.

                  Hopefully someone can weigh in as I'm not an expert at RigCAT.

                  RigCAT and Hamlib are two different methods of supporting radio
                  control. RigCAT is (at the moment) unique to Fldigi and Hamlib is a
                  library used by many other programs. Hamlib support is available from
                  Fldigi for radios that RigCAT does not yet support (like my FT-920).
                  In some cases Hamlib offers support for more radio functions than
                  Fldigi needs and hence than RigCAT supports.

                  73, de Nate >>

                  Message 8 of 30 , Aug 3, 2008
                    Nate Bargmann wrote:
                    > * Merv Curley <mcurley@...> [2008 Aug 02 23:55 -0500]:
                    >>> That sheds an entirely different light on the matter. ;-)

                    The XML file says its for the 570, is the 570D a different animal? Just
                    some ideas from my experience with rigcat. Most people forget to set
                    dtrinit or rtsinit. One or the other needs to be a + value depending on
                    which line you are using. Also in the case of some Kenwoods the rtscts
                    needs to be set to true.

                    You don't mention whether you have rig control in fldigi using hamlib.
                    If not, did you remember to click the initialize button and the save
                    config button ? You may also find that you need to restart fldigi once
                    you have either hamlib or rigcat set up.

                    Ed W3NR
                  • Bob Nielsen
                    Message 9 of 30 , Aug 3, 2008
                      On Aug 3, 2008, at 4:53 AM, Ed wrote:
                      > The XML file says its for the 570, is the 570D a different animal?

                      There are two TS570 models, the TS570S includes 6 meters and the
                      TS570D does not. Otherwise, they are identical.

                      There are differences between the TS570S/TS570D and TS570S(G)/TS570D
                      (G), the (G) models being newer. The differences are shown at
                      <http://www.ham.dmz.ro/kenwood/ts-570dg-g-upgrade.php>, but don't
                      appear to affect the computer control features.

                      Bob, N7XY
                    • Merv Curley
                      Message 10 of 30 , Aug 3, 2008
                        On August 3, 2008 7:53:06 am Ed wrote:
                        > Nate Bargmann wrote:
                        > > * Merv Curley <mcurley@...> [2008 Aug 02 23:55 -0500]:

                        > The XML file says its for the 570, is the 570D a different animal?

                        No, as N7XY has reported. I thought it was the first version , I got
                        mine in '96. I didn't know Kenwood would upgrade it to the G
                        version, a number of small but worthwhile improvements I have read.

                        > Just some ideas from my experience with rigcat. Most people forget
                        > to set dtrinit or rtsinit. One or the other needs to be a + value
                        > depending on which line you are using. Also in the case of some
                        > Kenwoods the rtscts needs to be set to true.

                        My manual sez the 570D doesn't use DTR or DSR. But RTS and CTS are
                        used so in the rig.xml the PORT section said

                        RTSINIT -12 [ now +12 ]
                        RTSPTT false
                        RTSCTS true

                        Restarted fldigi and still no joy with RigCAT.

                        > You don't mention whether you have rig control in fldigi using
                        > hamlib.

                        While hamlib is installed I haven't tried it yet. I decided on rigCAT
                        since you built it in and I don't like to change horses til the first
                        one is dead. I have tried rigctl and it can read the freq of the
                        570D.

                        > If not, did you remember to click the initialize button and
                        > the save config button ?

                        Yes I even de-selected RigCAT and initialized like you suggest in the
                        doc's. See I did read them.

                        > You may also find that you need to restart
                        > fldigi once you have either hamlib or rigcat set up.

                        Tried it that too, even did a reboot, really desperate, hi.

                        > Ed W3NR

                        Solved, now on to the next problem!!!!

                        In the rig config GUI screen, I hadn't selected the RTS boxes. Did
                        that and now RigCat is working. Seems the GUI config is more
                        important than the rig.xml file. Or my rig.xml file can't be read.

                        I mentioned in another post that I edited the rig.xml with Kate, I
                        don't want to install OpenOffice.org if I don't have too. Is there
                        something special about the OOO writer program?

                        Thanks for help here and overall for this fine program. All we need
                        are more hams.

                        Merv Curley
                        Toronto, Ont.Can

                        Linux Debian Unstable
                        KDE v. 3.5.8
                        Kmail v. 1.9.7
                      • Merv Curley
                        Message 11 of 30 , Aug 3, 2008
                          On August 3, 2008 7:25:23 am Nate Bargmann wrote:

                          > I wouldn't worry about CW for the moment if your desire is PSK31.

                          It is, but there is little PSK31 on 80 and 40 but I have heard a few
                          CW sig's. My TH6 beam came down in an ice storm, ruined the top of
                          the tower so a new beam isn't going up. A wire dipole isn't much of
                          a replacement for a beam.

                          > > I don't think the Rigblaster supports CW, it handles CW like I
                          > > gather Fldidi does with keyed audio. No mention in my Rigblaster
                          > > manual about CW.
                          >
                          > It does. It takes the signal from the DTR line on the RS-232 port
                          > and then activates the Key Out jack. I have that connected to the
                          > Key In jack on my FT-920. I also used it for CW this past Field
                          > Day with my FT-817.

                          That is good news.
                          That means I do have another RigBlaster to 570D cable down here in
                          these piles of junk. I thought that was the case, but what is
                          unusual I don't have any notes on scraps of paper about it. Whereas
                          I do have notes about the Kam+ cable in the 570 manual and the cable
                          is in the filing cabinet with the Kam+ manual.

                          You already mentioned CWDaemon, is that what you used for CW or?

                          > > My old GigByte motherboard has a useless ttyS1 port, I am now
                          > > using ttyS2 and rigctl from the Hamlib utilities can talk to the
                          > > the 570D. So my first problem is solved. Time for a new MB.
                          >
                          > No ttyS0 (COM1)?

                          Yes but it has been used for my X10 home lighting [ heyu ] for many
                          years. I added a PCI card with 2 serial ports years ago [ The U.P.S
                          also needs a serial port ].

                          Thanks Nate for the help, especially the ham stuff. You will see in
                          my note to Ed that RigCAT is now working. So simple.....

                          73, keep cool

                          Merv

                          --
                          Merv Curley
                          Toronto, Ont.Can

                          Linux Debian Unstable
                          KDE v. 3.5.8
                          Kmail v. 1.9.7
                        • Nate Bargmann
                          Message 12 of 30 , Aug 3, 2008
                            * Merv Curley <mcurley@...> [2008 Aug 03 15:17 -0500]:

                            > I mentioned in another post that I edited the rig.xml with Kate, I
                            > don't want to install OpenOffice.org if I don't have too. Is there
                            > something special about the OOO writer program?

                            Other than it is similar to Word Perfect and MS Office as a WYSIWYG
                            word processor. Kate is a good choice since you're using KDE.

                            73, de Nate >>

                          • Nate Bargmann
                            Message 13 of 30 , Aug 3, 2008
                              * Merv Curley <mcurley@...> [2008 Aug 03 17:54 -0500]:

                              > You already mentioned CWDaemon, is that what you used for CW or?

                              I've used it with TLF, but not much since TLF doesn't match the way
                              I've learned to log at the keyboard.

                              Not using CWDaemon, but I've used the Rigblaster with CT for CW. Ham
                              logging programs have settled on a common method for CW and PTT keying
                              which allows good products like the Rigblaster to exist.

                              > Thanks Nate for the help, especially the ham stuff. You will see in
                              > my note to Ed that RigCAT is now working. So simple.....

                              You're welcome, Merv. Glad to hear it's working.

                              73, de Nate >>

                            • Merv Curley
                              Message 14 of 30 , Aug 3, 2008

                                Hi Rick

                                Thanks for popping into the thread. Rather red faced about my sloppiness with numbers. Being an owner for 12 years means I should have the model number in my RAM. But it is volatile RAM and doesn't keep its data very well anymore.

                                On August 2, 2008 9:40:25 am Rick Kunath wrote:

                                Rig is on COM2 then?

                                Whats COM2?

                                Just kidding but I am not very familiar with anything Windows. I went from 8 bit computers to OS/2 Ver 2.1; 3 and 4. Then Linux maybe in 97 or 98. Slackware Ver 3 or some such, difficult days those were. So was OS/2 now that I think of it, 20 floppies for the install and I did it more than once. Warp 4 was pretty nice I thought.

                                > >> That's an audio error - the developers will have to answer that.

                                > > The Konsole window where I started fldigi is now filled with that

                                > > error, so is there something wrong with the audio from the

                                > > transceiver to the soundcard?

                                > Level into the computer too hot maybe?

                                That would make sense, gotta get a pot into the audio from the 570.

                                > Not sure we have all the info we need yet to answer everything.

                                You sure didn't. As I posted earlier today, RigCAT is now working, just had to configure it. More red-facedness. No more error messages but I know the level into the sound card is too high.

                                I found some 40 M. PSK tonight at 7071. One site I came across told me to look at 7080 but that is NG with W1AW doing its nightly code practice there. Where on 80 might I find PSK, so far nothing found but then I haven't heard a whole lot of activity on what used to be my favorite band.

                                The other thing, where can I get general information about all these digital modes. Even the bspk site doesn't talk much about all the versions of bpsk, or what the difference is to psk31. Go away for a while and look what happens.

                                Keep cool - 73

                                Merv

                                --

                                Merv Curley

                                Toronto, Ont.Can

                                Linux Debian Unstable

                                KDE v. 3.5.8

                                Kmail v. 1.9.7

                                Message 15 of 30 , Aug 4, 2008
                                  Merv Curley wrote:

                                  The other thing, where can I get general information about all these digital modes. Even the bspk site doesn't talk much about all the versions of bpsk, or what the difference is to psk31. Go away for a while and look what happens.

                                  Look here:  http://www.w1hkj.com/FldigiHelp-3.0/Modes/index.htm

                                  73, Dave, W1HKJ

                                • roger g6ckr
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Aug 4, 2008
                                    > No ttyS0 (COM1)?
                                    Good point I just replied to a direct mail and missed that.
                                    first comport should indeed be 0.
                                    73 Roger
                                  • Merv Curley
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Aug 6, 2008
                                      On August 4, 2008 6:02:44 am w1hkj wrote:
                                      > Merv Curley wrote:
                                      > > The other thing, where can I get general information about all
                                      > > these digital modes. Even the bspk site doesn't talk much about
                                      > > all the versions of bpsk, or what the difference is to psk31. Go
                                      > > away for a while and look what happens.
                                      >
                                      > Look here: http://www.w1hkj.com/FldigiHelp-3.0/Modes/index.htm
                                      >
                                      > 73, Dave, W1HKJ

                                      Very nicely done Dave. More information than I really expected.

                                      Thank you.

                                      73

                                      Merv

                                      --
                                      Merv Curley Ve3DAC
                                      Toronto, Ont.Can

                                      Linux Debian Unstable
                                      KDE v. 3.5.8
                                      Kmail v. 1.9.7
                                    • Merv Curley
                                      Message 18 of 30 , Aug 6, 2008
                                        On August 3, 2008 9:32:59 pm Nate Bargmann wrote:
                                        > * Merv Curley <mcurley@...> [2008 Aug 03 17:54 -0500]:
                                        > > You already mentioned CWDaemon, is that what you used for CW or?
                                        >
                                        > I've used it with TLF, but not much since TLF doesn't match the way
                                        > I've learned to log at the keyboard.
                                        >
                                        > Not using CWDaemon, but I've used the Rigblaster with CT for CW.
                                        > Ham logging programs have settled on a common method for CW and PTT
                                        > keying which allows good products like the Rigblaster to exist.
                                        >
                                        > > Thanks Nate for the help, especially the ham stuff. You will see
                                        > > in my note to Ed that RigCAT is now working. So simple.....
                                        >
                                        > You're welcome, Merv. Glad to hear it's working.
                                        >
                                        > 73, de Nate >>

                                        Could I send a note to your personal site about setting up my
                                        hardware? Rather off topic stuff for a software List. Some spam
                                        filters are a bit ruthless, hi.

                                        Merv Curley, Ve3DAC
                                        Toronto, Ont.Can

                                        Linux Debian Unstable
                                        KDE v. 3.5.8
                                        Kmail v. 1.9.7
                                      • Nate Bargmann
                                        Message 19 of 30 , Aug 6, 2008
                                          * Merv Curley <mcurley@...> [2008 Aug 06 19:40 -0500]:
                                          > On August 3, 2008 9:32:59 pm Nate Bargmann wrote:
                                          > > * Merv Curley <mcurley@...> [2008 Aug 03 17:54 -0500]:
                                          > > > You already mentioned CWDaemon, is that what you used for CW or?
                                          > >
                                          > > I've used it with TLF, but not much since TLF doesn't match the way
                                          > > I've learned to log at the keyboard.
                                          > >
                                          > > Not using CWDaemon, but I've used the Rigblaster with CT for CW.
                                          > > Ham logging programs have settled on a common method for CW and PTT
                                          > > keying which allows good products like the Rigblaster to exist.
                                          > >
                                          > > > Thanks Nate for the help, especially the ham stuff. You will see
                                          > > > in my note to Ed that RigCAT is now working. So simple.....
                                          > >
                                          > > You're welcome, Merv. Glad to hear it's working.
                                          > >
                                          > > 73, de Nate >>
                                          >
                                          > Could I send a note to your personal site about setting up my
                                          > hardware? Rather off topic stuff for a software List. Some spam
                                          > filters are a bit ruthless, hi.

                                          If it would be of interest to Fldigi users, then it probably would be
                                          better on Dave's site or if it's Hamlib related it would be better
                                          there, which I have access to as a Hamlib developer.

                                          I'd be happy to take a look at it either way.

                                          73, de Nate >>