Re: [linuxham] RigCat - Kenwood TS520 - Debian unstable

  • Hamish Moffatt
    Message 1 of 30 , Aug 1, 2008
      On Fri, Aug 01, 2008 at 12:38:48AM -0400, Merv Curley wrote:
      > I thought I would try RigCat since it was built in, hooked up an
      > RS232 cable, changed the Com port to /dev/ttyS1 in the rig.xml file
      > and initialized.
      >
      > My error message was
      > Symbol 'hamlib version' has a different size in shared object,
      > consider relinking.

      That's a warning.

      > Transceiver not responding

      Tat means fldigi can't talk to your rig properly. Is the baud rate
      configurable and correct, is the port correct, do you have permissions
      for /dev/ttyS1?

      > PA-ReadStream: Input overflowed.

      That's an audio error - the developers will have to answer that.

      > Does this mean I can't use the version 2.10.3 in the Debian
      > repository? Or is there something else to explain why RigCat doesn't
      > work?

      I don't think it's a problem specific to the packaged version.

      73
      Hamish (co-maintainer of the Debian fldigi package)
      --
      Hamish Moffatt VK3SB <hamish@...> <hamish@...>
    • Nate Bargmann
      Message 2 of 30 , Aug 1, 2008
        * Merv Curley <mcurley@...> [2008 Jul 31 23:39 -0500]:
        > Hello all
        >
        > After sitting in the background for a year reading your posts, I
        > decided to drop the computer playing around and see if my 520 would
        > blow up when I turned it on. It didn't so I installed my old
        > isolation transformer for audio and with help from Rick Kunath
        > managed to hear signals and see all the good stuff that happens on
        > the waterfall and Digiscope. Unlike others, all seems to work for
        > receiving.
        >
        > I thought I would try RigCat since it was built in, hooked up an
        > RS232 cable, changed the Com port to /dev/ttyS1 in the rig.xml file
        > and initialized.

        RigCAT is not going to help as the '520 doesn't support computer
        control for reading frequency, setting frequency, etc.

        > My error message was
        > Symbol 'hamlib version' has a different size in shared object,
        > consider relinking.

        As Hamish said, this is harmless. What it means is that the Fldigi
        program was compiled against a slightly different build of Hamlib
        than you have. Again, harmless and can be safely ignored.

        > Transceiver not responding

        Your radio doesn't support computer control.

        > PA-ReadStream: Input overflowed.
        >
        > Does this mean I can't use the version 2.10.3 in the Debian
        > repository? Or is there something else to explain why RigCat doesn't
        > work?

        You can use Fldigi for everything but reading and setting the radio's
        frequency. You'll see the audio frequency instead of the actual
        frequency in the waterfall. So, you shouldn't even select RigCAT nor
        Hamlib. Just select the PTT device in the left pane of that window and
        Fldigi will use that serial port to key the Rigblaster which will key
        the radio via PTT.

        Also, RigCAT and Hamlib are independent implementations of radio
        control as you can select one or the other, but not both at once.
        However, only radios newer than those made from about the mid '80s
        onward will support this in any form. Since your radio is not
        synthesized, it cannot.

        73, de Nate >>

      • Merv Curley
        Message 3 of 30 , Aug 1, 2008
          Nate, Bob Hamish -

          Thanks for the quick replies chaps.

          On August 1, 2008 7:35:51 am Nate Bargmann wrote:

          > RigCAT is not going to help as the '520 doesn't support computer
          > control for reading frequency, setting frequency, etc.

          Are you sure? The manual lists some 50+ commands between the computer
          and the transceiver. There are only two used I believe in the
          rig.xml file for the 520 at the fldigi site. One is 'FA' for
          reading and setting the 'A' VFO [FB for the 'B' VFO] and 'MD' for
          setting and reading the modulation mode.

          > > My error message was
          > > Symbol 'hamlib version' has a different size in shared object,
          > > consider relinking.
          >
          > As Hamish said, this is harmless. What it means is that the Fldigi
          > program was compiled against a slightly different build of Hamlib
          > than you have. Again, harmless and can be safely ignored.

          I haven't installed hamlib. I suppose I could but I was looking for
          the simplest way of getting started. Maybe 'hamlib' provides more
          computer control than RigCat?

          > > PA-ReadStream: Input overflowed.
          > >
          > > Does this mean I can't use the version 2.10.3 in the Debian
          > > repository? Or is there something else to explain why RigCat
          > > doesn't work?
          >
          > Just select the PTT device in the left pane of
          > that window and Fldigi will use that serial port to key the
          > Rigblaster which will key the radio via PTT.

          So I will also need to hook the Rigblaster RS232 to the computer, I
          gather you are saying. Fldigi will generate a PTT signal on either
          the RTS or DTR line.

          > However, only radios newer than those made from about the mid '80s
          > onward will support this in any form. Since your radio is not
          > synthesized, it cannot.

          While the 520 is now out of production [2007], it is a late 90's
          design, is synthesized, has computer control [ RS232 ] and an
          accessory socket to work with TNC's and MCP's. The accessory socket
          [13 pin] supplies audio to the soundard, mic/digital data in, PTT
          control etc.

          > 73, de Nate >>

          Merv Curley
          Toronto, Ont.Can

          Linux Debian Unstable
          KDE v. 3.5.8
          Kmail v. 1.9.7
        • Merv Curley
          Message 4 of 30 , Aug 1, 2008
            On August 1, 2008 5:49:45 am Hamish Moffatt wrote:
            > On Fri, Aug 01, 2008 at 12:38:48AM -0400, Merv Curley wrote:
            > > I thought I would try RigCat since it was built in, hooked up an
            > > RS232 cable, changed the Com port to /dev/ttyS1 in the rig.xml
            > > file and initialized.
            > >
            > > My error message was
            > > Symbol 'hamlib version' has a different size in shared object,
            > > consider relinking.
            >
            > That's a warning.

            But I don't have 'hamlib' installed. Can I tell fldigi to use RigCat
            at startup?

            > > Transceiver not responding
            >
            > Tat means fldigi can't talk to your rig properly. Is the baud rate
            > configurable and correct, is the port correct, do you have
            > permissions for /dev/ttyS1?

            The port is correct,
            fuser -u /dev/ttyS1 4215[merv] should mean perms ok [?]

            > > PA-ReadStream: Input overflowed.
            >
            > That's an audio error - the developers will have to answer that.

            The Konsole window where I started fldigi is now filled with that
            error, so is there something wrong with the audio from the
            transceiver to the soundcard?

            > > Does this mean I can't use the version 2.10.3 in the Debian
            > > repository? Or is there something else to explain why RigCat
            > > doesn't work?
            >
            > I don't think it's a problem specific to the packaged version.

            So RigCat should work even tho you assumed hamlib would be used? I
            don't understand what you maintainers have to do to build Debian
            packages but I know it ain't easy, hi.

            > 73
            > Hamish (co-maintainer of the Debian fldigi package)

            Thanks and 73

            merv

            --
            Merv Curley
            Toronto, Ont.Can

            Linux Debian Unstable
            KDE v. 3.5.8
            Kmail v. 1.9.7
          • Martin, AA6E
            Message 5 of 30 , Aug 1, 2008

              On Fri, Aug 1, 2008 at 12:27 PM, Merv Curley <mcurley@...> wrote:
              Nate, Bob Hamish -

              Thanks for the quick replies chaps.

              On August 1, 2008 7:35:51 am Nate Bargmann wrote:

              > RigCAT is not going to help as the '520 doesn't support computer
              > control for reading frequency, setting frequency, etc.

              Are you sure?  The manual lists some 50+ commands between the computer
              and the transceiver.  There are only two used I believe in the
              rig.xml file for the 520 at the fldigi site.  One is 'FA'  for
              reading and setting the 'A' VFO  [FB for the 'B' VFO] and 'MD' for
              setting and reading the modulation mode.

              This is very confusing.  The Kenwood TS-520 (I have a TS-520S sitting on the floor near me) has no digital components at all, and certainly no external rig control.  It is a 1970's era rig, transistors and vacuum tubes -- few, if any ICs.  There was a digital VFO freq. display optional add-on.

              So maybe you are thinking of another rig?

              In any case, the TS-520 runs digimodes very nicely.  The VFO is quite stable after warm-up.   But no RigCAT or Hamlib. Just T/R control if you want.

              73 Martin AA6E

              --
              Martin Ewing, AA6E
              Branford, CT
              Message 6 of 30 , Aug 1, 2008
                Possibly the accessory digital display (DG-5) may have added
                frequency reading (I don't think the TS-520 used a PLL, so frequency
                control may not have been possible). I googled a bit, but couldn't
                find any details. I recall that the TS-530 was similar to the '520,
                but had a built-in digital readout. There is no mention of a digital
                connection in the manuals for either of these at <http://
                bama.edebris.com/manuals/kenwood/>.

                Bob, N7XY

                On Aug 1, 2008, at 11:07 AM, Martin, AA6E wrote:

                > On Fri, Aug 1, 2008 at 12:27 PM, Merv Curley <mcurley@...> wrote:
                > Nate, Bob Hamish -
                >
                > Thanks for the quick replies chaps.
                >

                > On August 1, 2008 7:35:51 am Nate Bargmann wrote:
                >

                > > RigCAT is not going to help as the '520 doesn't support computer
                > > control for reading frequency, setting frequency, etc.
                > >
                > Are you sure? The manual lists some 50+ commands between the computer
                > and the transceiver. There are only two used I believe in the
                > rig.xml file for the 520 at the fldigi site. One is 'FA' for
                > reading and setting the 'A' VFO [FB for the 'B' VFO] and 'MD' for
                > setting and reading the modulation mode.
                >
                > This is very confusing. The Kenwood TS-520 (I have a TS-520S
                > sitting on the floor near me) has no digital components at all, and
                > certainly no external rig control. It is a 1970's era rig,
                > transistors and vacuum tubes -- few, if any ICs. There was a
                > digital VFO freq. display optional add-on.
                >
                > So maybe you are thinking of another rig?
                >
                > In any case, the TS-520 runs digimodes very nicely. The VFO is
                > quite stable after warm-up. But no RigCAT or Hamlib. Just T/R
                > control if you want.
                >
                > 73 Martin AA6E
                >

                > --
                > Martin Ewing, AA6E
                > Branford, CT

              • Jose A. Amador
                Message 7 of 30 , Aug 1, 2008
                  I have repaired a few 520's since the early 80's, and I believe that the
                  820 predates 1980, but cannot be sure. Certainly, the 520/820 are no
                  newer than 1983, and those radios have no CAT and no remote mode
                  selection capabilities. I cannot tell about the DG-5.

                  Jose, CO2JA

                  ----

                  Bob Nielsen wrote:

                  > Possibly the accessory digital display (DG-5) may have added
                  > frequency reading (I don't think the TS-520 used a PLL, so frequency
                  > control may not have been possible). I googled a bit, but couldn't
                  > find any details. I recall that the TS-530 was similar to the '520,
                  > but had a built-in digital readout. There is no mention of a digital
                  > connection in the manuals for either of these at <http://
                  > bama.edebris.com/manuals/kenwood/>.
                  >
                  > Bob, N7XY
                  >
                  > On Aug 1, 2008, at 11:07 AM, Martin, AA6E wrote:
                  >

                  >> On Fri, Aug 1, 2008 at 12:27 PM, Merv Curley <mcurley@...> wrote:
                  >> Nate, Bob Hamish -
                  >>
                  >> Thanks for the quick replies chaps.
                  >>

                  >> On August 1, 2008 7:35:51 am Nate Bargmann wrote:
                  >>
                  >>> RigCAT is not going to help as the '520 doesn't support computer
                  >>> control for reading frequency, setting frequency, etc.
                  >>>
                  >> Are you sure? The manual lists some 50+ commands between the computer
                  >> and the transceiver. There are only two used I believe in the
                  >> rig.xml file for the 520 at the fldigi site. One is 'FA' for
                  >> reading and setting the 'A' VFO [FB for the 'B' VFO] and 'MD' for
                  >> setting and reading the modulation mode.
                  >>
                  >> This is very confusing. The Kenwood TS-520 (I have a TS-520S
                  >> sitting on the floor near me) has no digital components at all, and
                  >> certainly no external rig control. It is a 1970's era rig,
                  >> transistors and vacuum tubes -- few, if any ICs. There was a
                  >> digital VFO freq. display optional add-on.
                  >>
                  >> So maybe you are thinking of another rig?
                  >>
                  >> In any case, the TS-520 runs digimodes very nicely. The VFO is
                  >> quite stable after warm-up. But no RigCAT or Hamlib. Just T/R
                  >> control if you want.
                  >>
                  >> 73 Martin AA6E
                  >>

                  >> --
                  >> Martin Ewing, AA6E
                  >> Branford, CT
                • Merv Curley
                  Message 8 of 30 , Aug 1, 2008
                    On August 1, 2008 5:49:45 am Hamish Moffatt wrote:
                    > On Fri, Aug 01, 2008 at 12:38:48AM -0400, Merv Curley wrote:
                    > > I thought I would try RigCat since it was built in, hooked up an
                    > > RS232 cable, changed the Com port to /dev/ttyS1 in the rig.xml
                    > > file and initialized.
                    > >
                    > > My error message was
                    > > Symbol 'hamlib version' has a different size in shared object,
                    > > consider relinking.
                    >
                    > That's a warning.
                    >
                    > > Transceiver not responding
                    >
                    > Tat means fldigi can't talk to your rig properly. Is the baud rate
                    > configurable and correct, is the port correct, do you have
                    > permissions for /dev/ttyS1?

                    So I was wrong about hamlib, it is installed. Credit to you Hamish?

                    I installed the utils pkg and tried rigctl and it can't talk to the
                    TS570 [ ID 204] either. One suggestion was to check the baud rate of
                    the rig and use the fastest. It is now 57.6 K and one stop bit.
                    Still can't communicate.

                    Where is the baud rate set in fldigi? Not that it is going to help
                    until rigctl can communicate I guess.

                    Next step - minicom. Thats taking me back a few years, hi.

                    Merv Curley
                    Toronto, Ont.Can

                    Linux Debian Unstable
                    KDE v. 3.5.8
                    Kmail v. 1.9.7
                  • Merv Curley
                    Message 9 of 30 , Aug 1, 2008
                      On August 1, 2008 2:07:24 pm Martin, AA6E wrote:
                      > On Fri, Aug 1, 2008 at 12:27 PM, Merv Curley <mcurley@...> wrote:
                      > > Nate, Bob Hamish -
                      > >
                      > > Thanks for the quick replies chaps.
                      > >
                      > > On August 1, 2008 7:35:51 am Nate Bargmann wrote:
                      > > > RigCAT is not going to help as the '520 doesn't support
                      > > > computer control for reading frequency, setting frequency, etc.

                      OOps now what is wrong with my fingers - and my eyes....

                      TS 570D chaps.

                      Merv Curley
                      Toronto, Ont.Can

                      Linux Debian Unstable
                      KDE v. 3.5.8
                      Kmail v. 1.9.7
                    • Nate Bargmann
                      Message 10 of 30 , Aug 1, 2008
                        * Merv Curley <mcurley@...> [2008 Aug 01 16:20 -0500]:
                        > On August 1, 2008 2:07:24 pm Martin, AA6E wrote:
                        > > On Fri, Aug 1, 2008 at 12:27 PM, Merv Curley <mcurley@...> wrote:
                        > > > Nate, Bob Hamish -
                        > > >
                        > > > Thanks for the quick replies chaps.

                        > OOps now what is wrong with my fingers - and my eyes....
                        >
                        > TS 570D chaps.

                        That sheds an entirely different light on the matter. ;-)

                        The rig control using Hamlib or RigCAT does not go through the
                        Rigblaster, it will connect directly to the radio. However, since the
                        '570 supports PTT via CAT, then you don't need the RS-232 connection to
                        the Rigblaster unless you want to use it to key CW with CWDaemon or the
                        like.

                        Your radio's manual will give you the details of connecting your radio
                        and computer for rig control.

                        73, de Nate >>

                      • Nate Bargmann
                        Message 11 of 30 , Aug 1, 2008
                          * Jose A. Amador <amador@...> [2008 Aug 01 14:46 -0500]:

                          > I have repaired a few 520's since the early 80's, and I believe that the
                          > 820 predates 1980, but cannot be sure. Certainly, the 520/820 are no
                          > newer than 1983, and those radios have no CAT and no remote mode
                          > selection capabilities. I cannot tell about the DG-5.

                          The earliest Kenwood in Hamlib is the TS-930 which was fully
                          synthesized. Even the TS-430 is not in Hamlib but the '440 is.

                          ------

                          Bob Nielsen wrote:

                          > > Possibly the accessory digital display (DG-5) may have added
                          > > frequency reading (I don't think the TS-520 used a PLL, so frequency
                          > > control may not have been possible). I googled a bit, but couldn't
                          > > find any details. I recall that the TS-530 was similar to the '520,
                          > > but had a built-in digital readout. There is no mention of a digital
                          > > connection in the manuals for either of these at <http://
                          > > bama.edebris.com/manuals/kenwood/>.

                          The DG-5 did not do anything more than give a digital readout that the
                          built-in displays of the '820, '530', and '830 did. The '830 had a
                          digital VFO available that brought PLL stability to the radio when it
                          was used for frequency control but it also lacked provision for
                          external control. The DG-5 comes from a time when an RS-232 port
                          probably cost as much as it did!

                          External computer control only came into being with fully synthesized
                          radios and even some early models of those lacked external support.
                          Radios with a built-in RS-232 level port are fairly recent with most
                          older rigs requiring a level converter. I understand that some new
                          models have been introduced with USB ports at Dayton this year.

                          73, de Nate >>

                        • roger g6ckr
                          Message 12 of 30 , Aug 1, 2008
                            Might also be of use if not already a user.
                            But a straight female to female 9 pin D lead is all that's needed.
                            rig cat works fine for me but I have used hamlib as well.
                            I use the 48 -1 setting (menu item 35) which is the default I think and
                            if I recall correctly is set in hamlib.
                            I could be wrong on the last point.
                            Don't forget to initialise and watch for ctrl in the bottom right of the
                            radio display.
                            73 Roger G6CKR

                            On Fri, 2008-08-01 at 17:13 -0500, Nate Bargmann wrote:
                            > * Merv Curley <mcurley@...> [2008 Aug 01 16:20 -0500]:

                            > > OOps now what is wrong with my fingers - and my eyes....
                            > >
                            > > TS 570D chaps.
                            >
                            > That sheds an entirely different light on the matter. ;-)
                            >
                            > The rig control using Hamlib or RigCAT does not go through the
                            > Rigblaster, it will connect directly to the radio. However, since the
                            > '570 supports PTT via CAT, then you don't need the RS-232 connection to
                            > the Rigblaster unless you want to use it to key CW with CWDaemon or the
                            > like.
                            >
                            > Your radio's manual will give you the details of connecting your radio
                            > and computer for rig control.
                            >
                            > 73, de Nate >>

                          • Rick Kunath
                            Message 13 of 30 , Aug 2, 2008
                              Merv Curley wrote:

                              > Are you sure? The manual lists some 50+ commands between the computer
                              > and the transceiver. There are only two used I believe in the
                              > rig.xml file for the 520 at the fldigi site. One is 'FA' for
                              > reading and setting the 'A' VFO [FB for the 'B' VFO] and 'MD' for
                              > setting and reading the modulation mode.

                              <Snipped>

                              > While the 520 is now out of production [2007], it is a late 90's
                              > design, is synthesized, has computer control [ RS232 ] and an
                              > accessory socket to work with TNC's and MCP's. The accessory socket
                              > [13 pin] supplies audio to the soundard, mic/digital data in, PTT
                              > control etc.

                              We can't be talking about a Kenwood TS-520 then, are we? It isn't a CAT
                              controllable transceiver, and isn't a late 90s design. A 530 maybe?

                              What is the radio then Merv?

                              Rick Kunath, k9ao
                            • Rick Kunath
                              Message 14 of 30 , Aug 2, 2008
                                Merv Curley wrote:

                                > The port is correct,
                                > fuser -u /dev/ttyS1 4215[merv] should mean perms ok [?]

                                Rig is on COM2 then?

                                >>> PA-ReadStream: Input overflowed.
                                >> That's an audio error - the developers will have to answer that.
                                >>
                                > The Konsole window where I started fldigi is now filled with that
                                > error, so is there something wrong with the audio from the
                                > transceiver to the soundcard?

                                Level into the computer too hot maybe?

                                >>> Does this mean I can't use the version 2.10.3 in the Debian
                                >>> repository? Or is there something else to explain why RigCat
                                >>> doesn't work?

                                I don't see an XML file for your rig, whatever the model actually is?

                                >> I don't think it's a problem specific to the packaged version.

                                Not sure we have all the info we need yet to answer everything.

                                Rick Kunath, k9ao
                              • Rick Kunath
                                Message 15 of 30 , Aug 2, 2008
                                  Merv Curley wrote:

                                  > Where is the baud rate set in fldigi? Not that it is going to help
                                  > until rigctl can communicate I guess.
                                  >
                                  > Next step - minicom. Thats taking me back a few years, hi.

                                  Take a look at CuteCom

                                  http://cutecom.sourceforge.net/

                                  It's a GUI version of Minicom and is a lot more pleasant to use. I've
                                  used it many a time to troubleshoot communication problems with devices.

                                  Rick Kunath, k9ao
                                • Merv Curley
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Aug 2, 2008
                                    On August 1, 2008 6:13:56 pm Nate Bargmann wrote:

                                    > > TS 570D chaps.
                                    >
                                    > That sheds an entirely different light on the matter. ;-)

                                    I apologize for making you and others waste time replying about the
                                    wrong model of rig.

                                    > The rig control using Hamlib or RigCAT does not go through the
                                    > Rigblaster, it will connect directly to the radio.

                                    I am still trying to get familiarized with what all my hardware does.
                                    It has been 6 or more years since I was last active. I have a
                                    suspicion the Linux software I used then was aimed at the RigBlaster
                                    to handle PTT and VOX control and maybe other things? The rigblaster
                                    does provide one way of getting the soundcard audio to the 570D.
                                    That is if I use the soundcard spkr out for audio to the transmitter.
                                    In the mixer doc's it shows the PCM channel used for ?? Then in the
                                    CW section I think it says the left channel only contains the audio.
                                    Maybe this is a topic for another thread.

                                    > However, since
                                    > the '570 supports PTT via CAT, then you don't need the RS-232
                                    > connection to the Rigblaster unless you want to use it to key CW
                                    > with CWDaemon or the like.

                                    I don't think the Rigblaster supports CW, it handles CW like I gather
                                    Fldidi does with keyed audio. No mention in my Rigblaster manual
                                    about CW.

                                    I also have a Kam Plus from those days and its cable to the 570 has a
                                    separate mini plug to go into the rig's key jack. So thats how I
                                    would have done true CW I guess.

                                    > Your radio's manual will give you the details of connecting your
                                    > radio and computer for rig control.

                                    My old GigByte motherboard has a useless ttyS1 port, I am now using
                                    ttyS2 and rigctl from the Hamlib utilities can talk to the the 570D.
                                    So my first problem is solved. Time for a new MB.

                                    However I haven't found the magic for the rig.xml file for RigCAT.
                                    The Device is set and the baud rate and stop bits match the 570D
                                    settings. Must be something else in the file I don't recognize that
                                    needs to be changed from default.

                                    Thanks everybody for your replies.

                                    Merv Curley Ve3DAC
                                    Toronto, Ont. Can

                                    Linux Debian Unstable
                                    KDE v. 3.5.8
                                    Kmail v. 1.9.7
                                  • Nate Bargmann
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Aug 3, 2008
                                      * Merv Curley <mcurley@...> [2008 Aug 02 23:55 -0500]:
                                      > On August 1, 2008 6:13:56 pm Nate Bargmann wrote:
                                      >

                                      > > > TS 570D chaps.
                                      > >
                                      > > That sheds an entirely different light on the matter. ;-)
                                      > >
                                      > I apologize for making you and others waste time replying about the
                                      > wrong model of rig.

                                      No problem. :-)

                                      > > The rig control using Hamlib or RigCAT does not go through the
                                      > > Rigblaster, it will connect directly to the radio.
                                      >
                                      > I am still trying to get familiarized with what all my hardware does.
                                      > It has been 6 or more years since I was last active. I have a
                                      > suspicion the Linux software I used then was aimed at the RigBlaster
                                      > to handle PTT and VOX control and maybe other things? The rigblaster
                                      > does provide one way of getting the soundcard audio to the 570D.
                                      > That is if I use the soundcard spkr out for audio to the transmitter.
                                      > In the mixer doc's it shows the PCM channel used for ?? Then in the
                                      > CW section I think it says the left channel only contains the audio.
                                      > Maybe this is a topic for another thread.

                                      I wouldn't worry about CW for the moment if your desire is PSK31.

                                      > > However, since
                                      > > the '570 supports PTT via CAT, then you don't need the RS-232
                                      > > connection to the Rigblaster unless you want to use it to key CW
                                      > > with CWDaemon or the like.
                                      >
                                      > I don't think the Rigblaster supports CW, it handles CW like I gather
                                      > Fldidi does with keyed audio. No mention in my Rigblaster manual
                                      > about CW.

                                      It does. It takes the signal from the DTR line on the RS-232 port and
                                      then activates the Key Out jack. I have that connected to the Key In
                                      jack on my FT-920. I also used it for CW this past Field Day with my
                                      FT-817.

                                      It also keys the PTT line at the same time, but since most radios won't
                                      respond to the PTT line in CW mode with a plug in the Key jack nor will
                                      they respond to the Key jack in SSB/AM/FM modes, it all works out based
                                      on the mode the radio is set to.

                                      > I also have a Kam Plus from those days and its cable to the 570 has a
                                      > separate mini plug to go into the rig's key jack. So thats how I
                                      > would have done true CW I guess.

                                      I recall those days as well, having a KAM myself.

                                      > > Your radio's manual will give you the details of connecting your
                                      > > radio and computer for rig control.
                                      >
                                      > My old GigByte motherboard has a useless ttyS1 port, I am now using
                                      > ttyS2 and rigctl from the Hamlib utilities can talk to the the 570D.
                                      > So my first problem is solved. Time for a new MB.

                                      No ttyS0 (COM1)?

                                      > However I haven't found the magic for the rig.xml file for RigCAT.
                                      > The Device is set and the baud rate and stop bits match the 570D
                                      > settings. Must be something else in the file I don't recognize that
                                      > needs to be changed from default.

                                      Hopefully someone can weigh in as I'm not an expert at RigCAT.

                                      RigCAT and Hamlib are two different methods of supporting radio
                                      control. RigCAT is (at the moment) unique to Fldigi and Hamlib is a
                                      library used by many other programs. Hamlib support is available from
                                      Fldigi for radios that RigCAT does not yet support (like my FT-920).
                                      In some cases Hamlib offers support for more radio functions than
                                      Fldigi needs and hence than RigCAT supports.

                                      73, de Nate >>

                                      Message 18 of 30 , Aug 3, 2008
                                        Nate Bargmann wrote:
                                        > * Merv Curley <mcurley@...> [2008 Aug 02 23:55 -0500]:
                                        >>> That sheds an entirely different light on the matter. ;-)

                                        The XML file says its for the 570, is the 570D a different animal? Just
                                        some ideas from my experience with rigcat. Most people forget to set
                                        dtrinit or rtsinit. One or the other needs to be a + value depending on
                                        which line you are using. Also in the case of some Kenwoods the rtscts
                                        needs to be set to true.

                                        You don't mention whether you have rig control in fldigi using hamlib.
                                        If not, did you remember to click the initialize button and the save
                                        config button ? You may also find that you need to restart fldigi once
                                        you have either hamlib or rigcat set up.

                                        Ed W3NR
                                      • Bob Nielsen
                                        Message 19 of 30 , Aug 3, 2008
                                          On Aug 3, 2008, at 4:53 AM, Ed wrote:
                                          > The XML file says its for the 570, is the 570D a different animal?

                                          There are two TS570 models, the TS570S includes 6 meters and the
                                          TS570D does not. Otherwise, they are identical.

                                          There are differences between the TS570S/TS570D and TS570S(G)/TS570D
                                          (G), the (G) models being newer. The differences are shown at
                                          <http://www.ham.dmz.ro/kenwood/ts-570dg-g-upgrade.php>, but don't
                                          appear to affect the computer control features.

                                          Bob, N7XY
                                        • Merv Curley
                                          Message 20 of 30 , Aug 3, 2008
                                            On August 3, 2008 7:53:06 am Ed wrote:
                                            > Nate Bargmann wrote:
                                            > > * Merv Curley <mcurley@...> [2008 Aug 02 23:55 -0500]:

                                            > The XML file says its for the 570, is the 570D a different animal?

                                            No, as N7XY has reported. I thought it was the first version , I got
                                            mine in '96. I didn't know Kenwood would upgrade it to the G
                                            version, a number of small but worthwhile improvements I have read.

                                            > Just some ideas from my experience with rigcat. Most people forget
                                            > to set dtrinit or rtsinit. One or the other needs to be a + value
                                            > depending on which line you are using. Also in the case of some
                                            > Kenwoods the rtscts needs to be set to true.

                                            My manual sez the 570D doesn't use DTR or DSR. But RTS and CTS are
                                            used so in the rig.xml the PORT section said

                                            RTSINIT -12 [ now +12 ]
                                            RTSPTT false
                                            RTSCTS true

                                            Restarted fldigi and still no joy with RigCAT.

                                            > You don't mention whether you have rig control in fldigi using
                                            > hamlib.

                                            While hamlib is installed I haven't tried it yet. I decided on rigCAT
                                            since you built it in and I don't like to change horses til the first
                                            one is dead. I have tried rigctl and it can read the freq of the
                                            570D.

                                            > If not, did you remember to click the initialize button and
                                            > the save config button ?

                                            Yes I even de-selected RigCAT and initialized like you suggest in the
                                            doc's. See I did read them.

                                            > You may also find that you need to restart
                                            > fldigi once you have either hamlib or rigcat set up.

                                            Tried it that too, even did a reboot, really desperate, hi.

                                            > Ed W3NR

                                            Solved, now on to the next problem!!!!

                                            In the rig config GUI screen, I hadn't selected the RTS boxes. Did
                                            that and now RigCat is working. Seems the GUI config is more
                                            important than the rig.xml file. Or my rig.xml file can't be read.

                                            I mentioned in another post that I edited the rig.xml with Kate, I
                                            don't want to install OpenOffice.org if I don't have too. Is there
                                            something special about the OOO writer program?

                                            Thanks for help here and overall for this fine program. All we need
                                            are more hams.

                                            Merv Curley
                                            Toronto, Ont.Can

                                            Linux Debian Unstable
                                            KDE v. 3.5.8
                                            Kmail v. 1.9.7
                                          • Merv Curley
                                            Message 21 of 30 , Aug 3, 2008
                                              On August 3, 2008 7:25:23 am Nate Bargmann wrote:

                                              > I wouldn't worry about CW for the moment if your desire is PSK31.

                                              It is, but there is little PSK31 on 80 and 40 but I have heard a few
                                              CW sig's. My TH6 beam came down in an ice storm, ruined the top of
                                              the tower so a new beam isn't going up. A wire dipole isn't much of
                                              a replacement for a beam.

                                              > > I don't think the Rigblaster supports CW, it handles CW like I
                                              > > gather Fldidi does with keyed audio. No mention in my Rigblaster
                                              > > manual about CW.
                                              >
                                              > It does. It takes the signal from the DTR line on the RS-232 port
                                              > and then activates the Key Out jack. I have that connected to the
                                              > Key In jack on my FT-920. I also used it for CW this past Field
                                              > Day with my FT-817.

                                              That is good news.
                                              That means I do have another RigBlaster to 570D cable down here in
                                              these piles of junk. I thought that was the case, but what is
                                              unusual I don't have any notes on scraps of paper about it. Whereas
                                              I do have notes about the Kam+ cable in the 570 manual and the cable
                                              is in the filing cabinet with the Kam+ manual.

                                              You already mentioned CWDaemon, is that what you used for CW or?

                                              > > My old GigByte motherboard has a useless ttyS1 port, I am now
                                              > > using ttyS2 and rigctl from the Hamlib utilities can talk to the
                                              > > the 570D. So my first problem is solved. Time for a new MB.
                                              >
                                              > No ttyS0 (COM1)?

                                              Yes but it has been used for my X10 home lighting [ heyu ] for many
                                              years. I added a PCI card with 2 serial ports years ago [ The U.P.S
                                              also needs a serial port ].

                                              Thanks Nate for the help, especially the ham stuff. You will see in
                                              my note to Ed that RigCAT is now working. So simple.....

                                              73, keep cool

                                              Merv

                                              --
                                              Merv Curley
                                              Toronto, Ont.Can

                                              Linux Debian Unstable
                                              KDE v. 3.5.8
                                              Kmail v. 1.9.7
                                            • Nate Bargmann
                                              Message 22 of 30 , Aug 3, 2008
                                                * Merv Curley <mcurley@...> [2008 Aug 03 15:17 -0500]:

                                                > I mentioned in another post that I edited the rig.xml with Kate, I
                                                > don't want to install OpenOffice.org if I don't have too. Is there
                                                > something special about the OOO writer program?

                                                Other than it is similar to Word Perfect and MS Office as a WYSIWYG
                                                word processor. Kate is a good choice since you're using KDE.

                                                73, de Nate >>

                                              • Nate Bargmann
                                                Message 23 of 30 , Aug 3, 2008
                                                  * Merv Curley <mcurley@...> [2008 Aug 03 17:54 -0500]:

                                                  > You already mentioned CWDaemon, is that what you used for CW or?

                                                  I've used it with TLF, but not much since TLF doesn't match the way
                                                  I've learned to log at the keyboard.

                                                  Not using CWDaemon, but I've used the Rigblaster with CT for CW. Ham
                                                  logging programs have settled on a common method for CW and PTT keying
                                                  which allows good products like the Rigblaster to exist.

                                                  > Thanks Nate for the help, especially the ham stuff. You will see in
                                                  > my note to Ed that RigCAT is now working. So simple.....

                                                  You're welcome, Merv. Glad to hear it's working.

                                                  73, de Nate >>

                                                • Merv Curley
                                                  Message 24 of 30 , Aug 3, 2008

                                                    Hi Rick

                                                    Thanks for popping into the thread. Rather red faced about my sloppiness with numbers. Being an owner for 12 years means I should have the model number in my RAM. But it is volatile RAM and doesn't keep its data very well anymore.

                                                    On August 2, 2008 9:40:25 am Rick Kunath wrote:

                                                    Rig is on COM2 then?

                                                    Whats COM2?

                                                    Just kidding but I am not very familiar with anything Windows. I went from 8 bit computers to OS/2 Ver 2.1; 3 and 4. Then Linux maybe in 97 or 98. Slackware Ver 3 or some such, difficult days those were. So was OS/2 now that I think of it, 20 floppies for the install and I did it more than once. Warp 4 was pretty nice I thought.

                                                    > >> That's an audio error - the developers will have to answer that.

                                                    > > The Konsole window where I started fldigi is now filled with that

                                                    > > error, so is there something wrong with the audio from the

                                                    > > transceiver to the soundcard?

                                                    > Level into the computer too hot maybe?

                                                    That would make sense, gotta get a pot into the audio from the 570.

                                                    > Not sure we have all the info we need yet to answer everything.

                                                    You sure didn't. As I posted earlier today, RigCAT is now working, just had to configure it. More red-facedness. No more error messages but I know the level into the sound card is too high.

                                                    I found some 40 M. PSK tonight at 7071. One site I came across told me to look at 7080 but that is NG with W1AW doing its nightly code practice there. Where on 80 might I find PSK, so far nothing found but then I haven't heard a whole lot of activity on what used to be my favorite band.

                                                    The other thing, where can I get general information about all these digital modes. Even the bspk site doesn't talk much about all the versions of bpsk, or what the difference is to psk31. Go away for a while and look what happens.

                                                    Keep cool - 73

                                                    Merv

                                                    --

                                                    Merv Curley

                                                    Toronto, Ont.Can

                                                    Linux Debian Unstable

                                                    KDE v. 3.5.8

                                                    Kmail v. 1.9.7

                                                    Message 25 of 30 , Aug 4, 2008
                                                      Merv Curley wrote:

                                                      The other thing, where can I get general information about all these digital modes. Even the bspk site doesn't talk much about all the versions of bpsk, or what the difference is to psk31. Go away for a while and look what happens.

                                                      Look here:  http://www.w1hkj.com/FldigiHelp-3.0/Modes/index.htm

                                                      73, Dave, W1HKJ

                                                    • roger g6ckr
                                                      Message 26 of 30 , Aug 4, 2008
                                                        > No ttyS0 (COM1)?
                                                        Good point I just replied to a direct mail and missed that.
                                                        first comport should indeed be 0.
                                                        73 Roger
                                                      • Merv Curley
                                                        Message 27 of 30 , Aug 6, 2008
                                                          On August 4, 2008 6:02:44 am w1hkj wrote:
                                                          > Merv Curley wrote:
                                                          > > The other thing, where can I get general information about all
                                                          > > these digital modes. Even the bspk site doesn't talk much about
                                                          > > all the versions of bpsk, or what the difference is to psk31. Go
                                                          > > away for a while and look what happens.
                                                          >
                                                          > Look here: http://www.w1hkj.com/FldigiHelp-3.0/Modes/index.htm
                                                          >
                                                          > 73, Dave, W1HKJ

                                                          Very nicely done Dave. More information than I really expected.

                                                          Thank you.

                                                          73

                                                          Merv

                                                          --
                                                          Merv Curley Ve3DAC
                                                          Toronto, Ont.Can

                                                          Linux Debian Unstable
                                                          KDE v. 3.5.8
                                                          Kmail v. 1.9.7
                                                        • Merv Curley
                                                          Message 28 of 30 , Aug 6, 2008
                                                            On August 3, 2008 9:32:59 pm Nate Bargmann wrote:
                                                            > * Merv Curley <mcurley@...> [2008 Aug 03 17:54 -0500]:
                                                            > > You already mentioned CWDaemon, is that what you used for CW or?
                                                            >
                                                            > I've used it with TLF, but not much since TLF doesn't match the way
                                                            > I've learned to log at the keyboard.
                                                            >
                                                            > Not using CWDaemon, but I've used the Rigblaster with CT for CW.
                                                            > Ham logging programs have settled on a common method for CW and PTT
                                                            > keying which allows good products like the Rigblaster to exist.
                                                            >
                                                            > > Thanks Nate for the help, especially the ham stuff. You will see
                                                            > > in my note to Ed that RigCAT is now working. So simple.....
                                                            >
                                                            > You're welcome, Merv. Glad to hear it's working.
                                                            >
                                                            > 73, de Nate >>

                                                            Could I send a note to your personal site about setting up my
                                                            hardware? Rather off topic stuff for a software List. Some spam
                                                            filters are a bit ruthless, hi.

                                                            Merv Curley, Ve3DAC
                                                            Toronto, Ont.Can

                                                            Linux Debian Unstable
                                                            KDE v. 3.5.8
                                                            Kmail v. 1.9.7
                                                          • Nate Bargmann
                                                            Message 29 of 30 , Aug 6, 2008
                                                              * Merv Curley <mcurley@...> [2008 Aug 06 19:40 -0500]:
                                                              > On August 3, 2008 9:32:59 pm Nate Bargmann wrote:
                                                              > > * Merv Curley <mcurley@...> [2008 Aug 03 17:54 -0500]:
                                                              > > > You already mentioned CWDaemon, is that what you used for CW or?
                                                              > >
                                                              > > I've used it with TLF, but not much since TLF doesn't match the way
                                                              > > I've learned to log at the keyboard.
                                                              > >
                                                              > > Not using CWDaemon, but I've used the Rigblaster with CT for CW.
                                                              > > Ham logging programs have settled on a common method for CW and PTT
                                                              > > keying which allows good products like the Rigblaster to exist.
                                                              > >
                                                              > > > Thanks Nate for the help, especially the ham stuff. You will see
                                                              > > > in my note to Ed that RigCAT is now working. So simple.....
                                                              > >
                                                              > > You're welcome, Merv. Glad to hear it's working.
                                                              > >
                                                              > > 73, de Nate >>
                                                              >
                                                              > Could I send a note to your personal site about setting up my
                                                              > hardware? Rather off topic stuff for a software List. Some spam
                                                              > filters are a bit ruthless, hi.

                                                              If it would be of interest to Fldigi users, then it probably would be
                                                              better on Dave's site or if it's Hamlib related it would be better
                                                              there, which I have access to as a Hamlib developer.

                                                              I'd be happy to take a look at it either way.

                                                              73, de Nate >>