Rigblaster Plus and Fldigi

  • Merv Curley
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 31, 2008
      More help requested

      Some 6-7 years ago I used a Rigblaster Plus with some Linux software
      for PSk31, but now nothing seems to make sense for hooking all the
      hardware bits together. I had an RS-232 cable from the Rigblaster to
      the computer, now I have a RS232, TS520 to computer so I don't
      understand how the RS232 cable for the Rigblaster is going to
      function.

      Had I not read some months ago that others were using Rigblasters, I
      wouldn't have considered re-using mine. Hopefully someone will come
      to my rescue with help. Offline or here, whatever.

      If there is someone with TS520 experience, that would be best I guess,
      I haven't tried the TS520 list looking for someone using Fldigi.
      Just a bit of a toss-up.

      Cheerio

      --
      Merv Curley
      Toronto, Ont.Can

      Linux Debian Unstable
      KDE v. 3.5.8
      Kmail v. 1.9.7
    • Nate Bargmann
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 1, 2008
        * Merv Curley <mcurley@...> [2008 Jul 31 23:42 -0500]:
        > More help requested
        >
        > Some 6-7 years ago I used a Rigblaster Plus with some Linux software
        > for PSk31, but now nothing seems to make sense for hooking all the
        > hardware bits together. I had an RS-232 cable from the Rigblaster to
        > the computer, now I have a RS232, TS520 to computer so I don't
        > understand how the RS232 cable for the Rigblaster is going to
        > function.

        What the RS232 will do is interface the keying signal provided from the
        computer to PTT on the '520. That's all, nothing more.

        > Had I not read some months ago that others were using Rigblasters, I
        > wouldn't have considered re-using mine. Hopefully someone will come
        > to my rescue with help. Offline or here, whatever.

        I'm using a Rigblaster Plus with my FT-920. However, I no longer use
        the RS232 on the Rigblaster for keying as the '920 supports control of
        the PTT using it's CAT commands.

        > If there is someone with TS520 experience, that would be best I guess,
        > I haven't tried the TS520 list looking for someone using Fldigi.
        > Just a bit of a toss-up.

        It shouldn't be difficult. I used a TS-830S years back with a KAM.

        The supplied Rigblaster cable will go from the Ext Speaker jack on the
        radio to the Line In (or Mic in) on the computer.

        The other supplied audio cable will go from Line Out on the computer to
        Audio In on the Rigblaster.

        The afore mentioned RS232 cable will go to one of the serial ports on
        the computer (COM1 in DOS/Windows is /dev/ttyS0 in Linux, COM2 ==
        /dev/ttyS1, etc. If using a USB dongle it will be /dev/ttyUSB0, etc.)

        The four pin connector on the '520 will need an adaptor or you'll need
        to replace the eight pin connector on the 8P8C to 8 pin round connector
        cable.

        Finally, you may have to do a little bit of homework to configure the
        jumper straps correctly for audio and PTT inside the Rigblaster, but
        you'll have a bit more control over that if you're installing a four
        pin connector.

        These are just some thoughts. I hope you find some of them helpful.

        73, de Nate >>

      • Bob Nielsen
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 1, 2008
          On Aug 1, 2008, at 4:24 AM, Nate Bargmann wrote:

          > * Merv Curley <mcurley@...> [2008 Jul 31 23:42 -0500]:
          > > More help requested
          > >
          > > Some 6-7 years ago I used a Rigblaster Plus with some Linux software
          > > for PSk31, but now nothing seems to make sense for hooking all the
          > > hardware bits together. I had an RS-232 cable from the Rigblaster to
          > > the computer, now I have a RS232, TS520 to computer so I don't
          > > understand how the RS232 cable for the Rigblaster is going to
          > > function.
          >
          > What the RS232 will do is interface the keying signal provided from
          > the
          > computer to PTT on the '520. That's all, nothing more.

          The Rigblaster Plus will also use the RS232 connection to provide CW
          keying with the appropriate software.

          Bob, N7XY
        • Martin, AA6E
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 1, 2008
            Also, note that the RS232 connection is not really necessary at all, even for T/R switching, if you're willing to use VOX for T/R control.  The computer audio will cause the rig to transmit, after a very short delay.  I don't run that way myself, but it ought to be OK.

            73 Martin AA6E

            On Fri, Aug 1, 2008 at 10:39 AM, Bob Nielsen <n7xy@...> wrote:

            On Aug 1, 2008, at 4:24 AM, Nate Bargmann wrote:

            > * Merv Curley <mcurley@...> [2008 Jul 31 23:42 -0500]:
            > > More help requested
            > >
            > > Some 6-7 years ago I used a Rigblaster Plus with some Linux software
            > > for PSk31, but now nothing seems to make sense for hooking all the
            > > hardware bits together. I had an RS-232 cable from the Rigblaster to
            > > the computer, now I have a RS232, TS520 to computer so I don't
            > > understand how the RS232 cable for the Rigblaster is going to
            > > function.
            >
            > What the RS232 will do is interface the keying signal provided from
            > the
            > computer to PTT on the '520. That's all, nothing more.

            The Rigblaster Plus will also use the RS232 connection to provide CW
            keying with the appropriate software.

            Bob, N7XY

            <*> Your email settings:
               Individual Email | Traditional