Re: [linuxham] Hardware Problem

  • Martin, AA6E
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 24, 2008
      Yes, this is OT for this list!

      It might be a bad idea to run without a battery.  Check your owner's manual, but I seem to recall that that was a no-no.  There could be overvoltage.  Did you try it with the battery installed?

      I run Ubuntu on my Vaio FVGN-FS710W with no issues, FWIW.

      The manual suggests removing battery and unplugging the AC power for ~5 minutes to see if that restores operation.  On the other hand, I can't find anything in my manual that says not to run without a battery...

      I presume it won't boot from your distro CD?

      73 Martin AA6E

      On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 3:57 PM, Carl Lopez AJ4DW <chlopez@...> wrote:
      This may not be, per se, a Linux question, but maybe one of you has
      had a similar experience:

      I was running fldigi under Xubuntu 8.04 on a Sony Vaio (new hard
      drive due to a HDD failure, I decided to "defenestrate", fresh
      install of Xubuntu, using just the AC adapter for power, no battery
      installed) when the screen went blank while I was busy with a net on
      another computer. I figured it was just the screensaver blanking it,
      but now it won't restart.

      If I plug the AC power adapter back in and hold down the power
      button, the lights will all light, then turn off when I release. The
      machine will do this whenever I hold down the button for about 15
      seconds (like it was shutting down). However, if I at any point just
      hold down the button for a second (as if I was asking it to start up)
      the lights go on for a split-second, then turn off and I can't get
      them to light up again unless I unplug the power then plug it in
      again (then the whole thing starts over). Never do I hear the hard
      drive or the CD-ROM drive start to run.

      Only recent changes: installed "Eyes" and "Fish" as I was going
      through "Ubuntu for Non-Geeks". (The Eyes applet didn't seem to work,
      neither did the Fish applet, couldn't find the "force-quit" applet
      they mentioned).

      Frankly, I'm flummoxed by the fact that nothing turns (like the HDD).
      I did check the output of the AC Adapter, if I remember right it was
      19v.

      Hope someone out there has some ideas for this puzzle.

      Many thanks...

      Carl AJ4DW

      <*> Your email settings:
         Individual Email | Traditional