Re: TS570D and hamlib problem.

  • aalested
    Message 1 of 24 , Jul 10, 2008
      --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, Thomas Beierlein <tb@...> wrote:

      > Hi Erik and the list,

      Hi Thomas. many thanks for the reply.

      > let me step in with some ideas to solve your problem.
      > Let me first say that in the moment I am the maintainer of the TS570
      backend
      > in hamlib.

      Indeed very nice, as you have the experience then.

      > On Wed, Jul 09, 2008 at 02:48:05PM -0000, aalested wrote:
      > > I can get linked to the TS570D using rigctl.
      > >
      > > But if I start up fldigi, and want to use hamlib for cat -rigctl- it
      > > cannot get i contact with the TS570D.
      >
      > Hm. what kind of problems do you observe exactly and what
      communication
      > settings are you using? I am using hamlib together with fldigi for the
      TS570D
      > via an USB<->serial adapter working on 57600 Bd. It is only sometimes
      that I
      > miss some responses, but otherwise it works like a i charme.

      I will try to explain.
      The /dev/ttyS0 is set to 4800 baud. The TS570D is set to 48-1
      I have setup minicom to those values, and gets no errors.
      But I'm not sure how to test the connection from the minicom to the
      TS570D.
      Followed the Hamlib FAQ, I did this:
      # rigctl -r /dev/ttyS0 -m 204
      read_string: timedout without reading a character
      read_string: timedout without reading a character
      read_string: timedout without reading a character
      read_string: timedout without reading a character

      Then I tried this -also from the FAQ-:

      # rigctl -vvvvv -r /dev/ttyS0 -m 204
      rigctl, Hamlib version 1.2.7.1
      Report bugs to <hamlib-developer@...>

      rig:rig_init called
      rig: loading backend kenwood
      kenwood: _init called
      rig_register (213)
      rig_register (201)
      rig_register (225)
      rig_register (203)
      rig_register (204)
      rig_register (216)
      rig_register (224)
      rig_register (205)
      rig_register (207)
      rig_register (209)
      rig_register (210)
      rig_register (222)
      rig_register (214)
      rig_register (221)
      rig_register (202)
      rig_register (211)
      rig_register (206)
      rig_register (208)
      rig_register (215)
      rig_register (226)
      rig_register (217)
      rig_register (220)
      rig_register (223)
      rig_register (227)
      rig_register (228)
      rig:rig_open called
      TX 3 bytes
      0000 49 46 3b IF;
      read_string: timedout without reading a character
      TX 3 bytes
      0000 49 46 3b IF;
      read_string: timedout without reading a character
      TX 3 bytes
      0000 49 46 3b IF;
      read_string: timedout without reading a character
      TX 3 bytes
      0000 49 46 3b IF;
      read_string: timedout without reading a character
      Opened rig model 204, 'TS-570D'
      Backend version: 0.6.1, Status: Stable

      Then I read the man page, whereafter I set the baudrate also:

      # rigctl -vvvvv -r /dev/ttyS0 -s 4800 -m 204
[...]

      RX 2 characters
      0000 3f 3b ?;
      kenwood_transaction: Unknown command 'IF;'
      Opened rig model 204, 'TS-570D'
      Backend version: 0.6.1, Status: Stable

      if command gave this:

      Rig command: if
      TX 3 bytes
      0000 49 46 3b IF;
      RX 38 characters
      0000 49 46 30 30 30 31 34 30 38 36 30 37 30 20 20 20
      IF00014086070
      0010 20 20 20 30 30 39 30 30 30 20 39 30 30 31 30 30
      009000 900100
      0020 30 30 30 38 20 3b 0008 ;
      Tx frequency: 14086070

      TX 3 bytes
      0000 49 46 3b IF;
      RX 38 characters
      0000 49 46 30 30 30 31 34 30 38 36 30 37 30 20 20 20
      IF00014086070
      0010 20 20 20 30 30 39 30 30 30 20 39 30 30 31 30 30
      009000 900100
      0020 30 30 30 38 20 3b 0008 ;
      Rig command: Frequency: 14086070

      So far so good.

      Does the above indicate, that I have an ok working between the ttyS0 and
      the TS570D ?

      ALL commands has been done as ROOT. Is this ok, and intended ?.

      Then I started up the fldigi, and did it from a terminal to be able to
      see what's going on:

      fldigi
      Transceiver not responding:

      Here I show a screenshot of what my setup looks in fldigi:

      http://www.urbakken.dk/fldigihamlib.jpg

      Does that look ok ?

      > > On the ham-linux mailinglist, I got an reply, that another ham have
      > > had same problem.
      > > He found that the value of 30ms set in the ts570.c file was too fast
      > > for his TS2000.
      >
      > Well, that was spoken for the TS2000, which is a totally other rig.
      But you are
      > right, there are some problems in the internal command processing in
      kenwood
      > rigs - especially if you are tuning the frequency at the time the
      command comes
      > in. Seems they use the same microcontroller for both jobs.

      I see, yes that can cause interfering.

      > > He changed it to 50ms whereafter it worked.
      >
      > You can test the different communication settings without having to
      recompile
      > hamlib. rigctl has an command line option '-C' after which you can set
      the
      > configuration parameter.

      > That would be 'rigctl -m xxx -r yyy -C post_write_delay=50'. Please
      try which
      > delay works best for you. Keep in mind that greater values gives
      better results
      > but slows down the overall communication and the responsivness of
      fldigi.

      Here is what I did, and there seems to be something not all ok:
      (even the communication worked as shown above)

      # rigctl -m 204 -r /dev/ttyS0 s 4800 -C post_write_delay=50
      read_string: timedout without reading a character
      read_string: timedout without reading a character
      read_string: timedout without reading a character
      read_string: timedout without reading a character
      read_string: timedout without reading a character
      read_string: timedout without reading a character
      read_string: timedout without reading a character
      read_string: timedout without reading a character
      get_split_vfo: error = Communication timed out
      Command '' not found!
      erikja:~ # rigctl -m 204 -r /dev/ttyS0 s 4800 -C post_write_delay=100
      read_string: timedout without reading a character
      read_string: timedout without reading a character
      read_string: timedout without reading a character
      read_string: timedout without reading a character
      read_string: timedout without reading a character
      read_string: timedout without reading a character
      read_string: timedout without reading a character
      read_string: timedout without reading a character
      get_split_vfo: error = Communication timed out
      Command '' not found!
      erikja:~ # rigctl -m 204 -r /dev/ttyS0 s 4800 -C post_write_delay=200
      read_string: timedout without reading a character
      read_string: timedout without reading a character
      read_string: timedout without reading a character
      read_string: timedout without reading a character
      read_string: timedout without reading a character
      read_string: timedout without reading a character
      read_string: timedout without reading a character
      read_string: timedout without reading a character
      get_split_vfo: error = Communication timed out
      Command '' not found!
      erikja:~ # fuser /dev/ttyS0

      Maybe there seems to be a problem with the communication even the above.
      I could try the ttyS0 also with my SCS-PTC-II to see if there will be a
      communication.
      Or as you have done it try it with a usb->serial interface.

      > Please give some feedback (best for different baud rates) so that I
      can correct
      > the value in the source files.

      look above.

      > (Btw, It would be good if you had filed a bug into the hamlib bug
      database on
      > sourceforge - http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=8305)

      How do I that Thomas ?.

      > I will have a look if we can set the post_write_delay also via the
      library
      > and if I find a way to config fldigi properly. If not I will discuss
      the
      > problem in the fldigi developer list.

      Many tnx.

      > Please keep me informed how it is going. Getting feedback is an
      important
      > precondition to make the backend better.

      For sure I will, and I'm very greatfull, that you wil help me.

      > 73,
      > de Tom DL1JBE.
      >

      > --
      > "Do what is needful!"
      > Ursula LeGuin: Earthsea
      > --
      73, Erik OZ4KK
    • aalested
      Message 2 of 24 , Jul 10, 2008
      • Thomas Beierlein
        Message 3 of 24 , Jul 10, 2008
          Hi Erik,

          > > Hm. what kind of problems do you observe exactly and what
          > communication
          > > settings are you using?
          >
          > I will try to explain.
          > The /dev/ttyS0 is set to 4800 baud. The TS570D is set to 48-1
          > I have setup minicom to those values, and gets no errors.
          > But I'm not sure how to test the connection from the minicom to the
          > TS570D.

          That one should be easy. Type 'IF;' and you should get either a long string
          starting with 'IF014...' (thats your frequency, modes and so on) or a simple
          'E;' or '?;' indicating an communication error.

          But to be honest, configuring minicom is not as easy as it seems. Getting
          handshaking, baudrate,... right is always a hassle for me :-(.

          > Followed the Hamlib FAQ, I did this:
          > # rigctl -r /dev/ttyS0 -m 204
          > read_string: timedout without reading a character
          > read_string: timedout without reading a character

          > Then I read the man page, whereafter I set the baudrate also:
          >
          > # rigctl -vvvvv -r /dev/ttyS0 -s 4800 -m 204

          Right. As hamlib uses always the maximum allowed baud rate as default (that is
          57600 for the TS570D) you got the wrong rate on first try. (As a reminder, if
          you switch the baudrate in the rig (menu# 35) you must turn the radio off and
          on again to get the change happen).

          > Opened rig model 204, 'TS-570D'
          > Backend version: 0.6.1, Status: Stable
          >
          > Rig command: Frequency: 14086070
          >
          > Does the above indicate, that I have an ok working between the ttyS0 and
          > the TS570D ?

          Yes. That is perfectly fine. If you start rigctl without the -vvvvv you
          should be able to work and experiment with the rig. Try 'f' or 'F' for getting
          and setting frequency, '?' for a list of supported commands or '1' for a list
          of the supported features for the TS570D backend.

          > ALL commands has been done as ROOT. Is this ok, and intended ?.

          It is one possibility. But rigctl should also work fine from your user account.
          If it doesn't there is something wrong about your permissions to use the serial
          port. Please test and come back if it doesn't.

          > Then I started up the fldigi, and did it from a terminal to be able to
          > see what's going on:
          >
          > fldigi
          > Transceiver not responding:

          That is normal, as long as you have choosen hamlib but not configured fldigi
          accordingly.

          > Here I show a screenshot of what my setup looks in fldigi:
          > Does that look ok ?

          Yes that looks perfectly ok. To be sure I just tested that setting at my side
          and it work perfectly. No problems. Did you start fldigi as user or also
          as root?

          By the way, what version of hamlib do you using?

          > > That would be 'rigctl -m xxx -r yyy -C post_write_delay=50'. Please
          > try which
          > > delay works best for you.
          >
          > Here is what I did, and there seems to be something not all ok:
          > (even the communication worked as shown above)
          >
          > # rigctl -m 204 -r /dev/ttyS0 s 4800 -C post_write_delay=50
          > read_string: timedout without reading a character
          > read_string: timedout without reading a character
          > read_string: timedout without reading a character

          Opps. It seems you forgot the '-' sign in front of the 's 4800'. So it worked
          again at 57600 Bd. (Murphy at work?)

          Can you please test again?

          > > (Btw, It would be good if you had filed a bug into the hamlib bug
          > database on
          > > sourceforge - http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=8305)
          >
          > How do I that Thomas ?.

          Go to that side with your browser. Select the link 'Bugs'. On next page you'll
          find a little 'submit new' link. There you can give a short summary (as a
          header line) and a detailed description of the problem.
          But let us sort things out first. Maybe there is no real problem here.

          73,

          de Tom DL1JBE.

          --
          "Do what is needful!"
          Ursula LeGuin: Earthsea
          Message 4 of 24 , Jul 10, 2008
            > Hi Erik,

            Hi Thomas.

            > That one should be easy. Type 'IF;' and you should get either a long
            string
            > starting with 'IF014...' (thats your frequency, modes and so on) or
            a simple
            > 'E;' or '?;' indicating an communication error.

            I set the baudrate to 57K6 now on the TS570D, and right, then rigctl
            just worked:

            # rigctl -r /dev/ttyS0 -m 204

            Rig command: IF
            Tx frequency:
            Rig command: if
            Tx frequency: 14086370

            Rig command: Frequency: 14086370

            Rig command:

            > But to be honest, configuring minicom is not as easy as it seems.
            Getting
            > handshaking, baudrate,... right is always a hassle for me :-(.

            You are quite right, but can be used. I did it those days I ran a MBO
            with my PTC-II.

            > > # rigctl -vvvvv -r /dev/ttyS0 -s 4800 -m 204
            >
            > Right. As hamlib uses always the maximum allowed baud rate as
            default (that is
            > 57600 for the TS570D) you got the wrong rate on first try. (As a
            reminder, if
            > you switch the baudrate in the rig (menu# 35) you must turn the
            radio off and
            > on again to get the change happen).

            Such I did, and it succeded :-)

            > > Opened rig model 204, 'TS-570D'
            > > Backend version: 0.6.1, Status: Stable
            > >
            > > Rig command: Frequency: 14086070
            > >
            > > Does the above indicate, that I have an ok working between the
            ttyS0 and
            > > the TS570D ?
            >
            > Yes. That is perfectly fine. If you start rigctl without the -vvvvv you
            > should be able to work and experiment with the rig. Try 'f' or 'F'
            for getting
            > and setting frequency, '?' for a list of supported commands or '1'
            for a list
            > of the supported features for the TS570D backend.

            Rig command: f
            Frequency: 14086370

            Rig command: F
            Frequency: 1421000

            Rig command: F
            Frequency: 14210000

            l is get level:
            Rig command: l
            Level: 2
            get_level: error = Invalid parameter

            But it works :-)

            > It is one possibility. But rigctl should also work fine from your
            user account.
            > If it doesn't there is something wrong about your permissions to use
            the serial
            > port. Please test and come back if it doesn't.

            The problem persists.

            > > fldigi
            > > Transceiver not responding:
            > >
            > That is normal, as long as you have choosen hamlib but not
            configured fldigi
            > accordingly.

            Now I set the baudrate to 57K6 in hamlib in fldigi, but I get the same
            "Transceiver not responding"

            Oh my, I got it. I'm sure this is due to the permission again for the
            /dev/ttyS0.
            I tried starting fldigi up as root, and did set the hamlib up here
            also, and it works :-)

            The Hamlib Controller now shows the qrg's, and changes them if I turn
            the dial on the TS570D.

            > > Here I show a screenshot of what my setup looks in fldigi:
            > > Does that look ok ?
            >
            > Yes that looks perfectly ok. To be sure I just tested that setting
            at my side
            > and it work perfectly. No problems. Did you start fldigi as user or
            also
            > as root?

            I started it as user.

            > By the way, what version of hamlib do you using?

            I use this:
            hamlib-devel-1.2.7.1-3.4
            hamlib-1.2.7.1-3.4

            > > # rigctl -m 204 -r /dev/ttyS0 s 4800 -C post_write_delay=50
            > > read_string: timedout without reading a character
            > > read_string: timedout without reading a character
            > > read_string: timedout without reading a character
            >
            > Opps. It seems you forgot the '-' sign in front of the 's 4800'. So
            it worked
            > again at 57600 Bd. (Murphy at work?)

            Murphy is always working.

            > Can you please test again?

            I guess it's not necessary, as it works now (but as root)

            > > > (Btw, It would be good if you had filed a bug into the hamlib bug
            > > database on
            > > > sourceforge - http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=8305)
            > >
            > > How do I that Thomas ?.
            >
            > Go to that side with your browser. Select the link 'Bugs'. On next
            page you'll
            > find a little 'submit new' link. There you can give a short summary
            (as a
            > header line) and a detailed description of the problem.
            > But let us sort things out first. Maybe there is no real problem here.

            I don't think it's necessary now, as it was Murphy and the famous
            error 40 too :-)

            Erik OZ4KK
          • Thomas Beierlein
            Message 5 of 24 , Jul 10, 2008
              Hi Erik,

              glad you get communication working.

              > l is get level:
              > Rig command: l
              > Level: 2
              > get_level: error = Invalid parameter

              You have to state which level you want to get, e.g. RFPOWER or MICGAIN. See
              the output of command '1' and then look which 'Set level' or 'Get level' is
              supported. Same for functions 'u' or 'U'.

              > Now I set the baudrate to 57K6 in hamlib in fldigi, but I get the same
              > "Transceiver not responding"
              >
              > Oh my, I got it. I'm sure this is due to the permission again for the
              > /dev/ttyS0.

              Yep. Exactly that seems to be the problem.

              > I tried starting fldigi up as root, and did set the hamlib up here
              > also, and it works :-)

              So, fine. Now you have to figure out how to set your permissions so that you
              are allowed to access /dev/ttyS0 as user. You should *not* use fldigi as root
              on the long run.

              Normally it is handled by adding your user account to some special group
              (mostly 'uucp' or 'tty'), but it depends on the linux distribution you use.

              As a first start you can look at the group /dev/ttyS0 belongs to. At my side
              it belongs to uucp, so I need to be in that group too.

              > ls -l /dev/ttyS0
              crw-rw---- 1 root uucp 4, 64 Jul 10 12:35 /dev/ttyS0

              Here on Gentoo I can run

              usermod -G list_of_groups_to_belong user

              as root to change my group membership. Have a look into the user administration
              for your system.

              > > By the way, what version of hamlib do you using?
              >
              > I use this:
              > hamlib-devel-1.2.7.1-3.4
              > hamlib-1.2.7.1-3.4

              Ok, that is the actual one.

              > > Go to that side with your browser. Select the link 'Bugs'. On next
              > page you'll
              > > find a little 'submit new' link. There you can give a short summary
              > (as a
              > > header line) and a detailed description of the problem.
              > > But let us sort things out first. Maybe there is no real problem here.
              >
              > I don't think it's necessary now, as it was Murphy and the famous
              > error 40 too :-)

              Right. Just remeber it for any problems in future. Or give me a direct call, as
              I am interested in feedback for the rig.

              Glad to help you.

              Vy 73 and lots of fun with fldigi and hamlib,

              Tom DL1JBE.

              --
              "Do what is needful!"
              Ursula LeGuin: Earthsea
              Message 6 of 24 , Jul 10, 2008
                Glad to see a resolution on this. Good luck, Erik and thanks, Tom.

                73, de Nate >>

              • aalested
                Message 7 of 24 , Jul 10, 2008
                  > Hi Erik,
                  >
                  > glad you get communication working.

                  Hi Tom.

                  I'm very glad too, and I'm very greatfull, that you came here to help
                  me to get it to work.

                  > > l is get level:
                  > > Rig command: l
                  > > Level: 2
                  > > get_level: error = Invalid parameter
                  >
                  > You have to state which level you want to get, e.g. RFPOWER or
                  MICGAIN. See
                  > the output of command '1' and then look which 'Set level' or 'Get
                  level' is
                  > supported. Same for functions 'u' or 'U'.

                  Ok, will have a look there, and for all the interesting things around
                  the project.

                  > > Now I set the baudrate to 57K6 in hamlib in fldigi, but I get the same
                  > > "Transceiver not responding"
                  > >
                  > > Oh my, I got it. I'm sure this is due to the permission again for the
                  > > /dev/ttyS0.
                  >
                  > Yep. Exactly that seems to be the problem.

                  It was :-)

                  > > I tried starting fldigi up as root, and did set the hamlib up here
                  > > also, and it works :-)
                  >
                  > So, fine. Now you have to figure out how to set your permissions so
                  that you
                  > are allowed to access /dev/ttyS0 as user. You should *not* use
                  fldigi as root
                  > on the long run.

                  No I won't, but was a great help in getting it to work.

                  > Normally it is handled by adding your user account to some special group
                  > (mostly 'uucp' or 'tty'), but it depends on the linux distribution
                  you use.

                  I use openSUSE 11.0, and here the tool Yast2 can do it. I now have to
                  find out how.

                  > As a first start you can look at the group /dev/ttyS0 belongs to. At
                  my side
                  > it belongs to uucp, so I need to be in that group too.

                  It belongs to uucp like yours do:

                  ls -l /dev/ttyS0
                  crw-rw---- 1 root uucp 4, 64 Jul 10 14:22 /dev/ttyS0
                  man man

                  > > ls -l /dev/ttyS0
                  > crw-rw---- 1 root uucp 4, 64 Jul 10 12:35 /dev/ttyS0
                  >
                  > Here on Gentoo I can run
                  >
                  > usermod -G list_of_groups_to_belong user
                  >
                  > as root to change my group membership. Have a look into the user
                  administration
                  > for your system.

                  I do have the usermod too:

                  usermod -G
                  usermod: option requires an argument -- 'G'
                  Try `usermod --help' or `usermod --usage' for more information.

                  But this doesn't show the gorups.

                  > > > By the way, what version of hamlib do you using?
                  > >
                  > > I use this:
                  > > hamlib-devel-1.2.7.1-3.4
                  > > hamlib-1.2.7.1-3.4
                  >
                  > Ok, that is the actual one.

                  Good.
                  > > > Go to that side with your browser. Select the link 'Bugs'. On next
                  > > page you'll
                  > > > find a little 'submit new' link. There you can give a short summary
                  > > (as a
                  > > > header line) and a detailed description of the problem.
                  > > > But let us sort things out first. Maybe there is no real problem
                  here.

                  > > I don't think it's necessary now, as it was Murphy and the famous
                  > > error 40 too :-)
                  >
                  > Right. Just remeber it for any problems in future. Or give me a
                  direct call, as
                  > I am interested in feedback for the rig.

                  For sure I will Tom. I wait for your comments on the usermod here.
                  Else I want to again thank you for your valuable help.
                  > Glad to help you.

                  I'm glad you would.

                  > Vy 73 and lots of fun with fldigi and hamlib,
                  >
                  > Tom DL1JBE.
                  >
                  > --
                  > "Do what is needful!"
                  > Ursula LeGuin: Earthsea
                  > --

                  Erik Oz4kk
                • aalested
                  Message 8 of 24 , Jul 10, 2008
                    > Glad to see a resolution on this. Good luck, Erik and thanks, Tom.
                    >
                    > 73, de Nate >>

                    I'm very glad too Nate. Also for your help, and kindness.

                    > --
                    >
                    > "The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all
                    > possible worlds. The pessimist fears this is true."
                    >
                    > Ham radio, Linux, bikes, and more: http://n0nb.us/index.html

                    73 Erik OZ4KK
                  • Thomas Beierlein
                    Message 9 of 24 , Jul 10, 2008
                      Hi Erik,

                      > > Normally it is handled by adding your user account to some special group
                      > > (mostly 'uucp' or 'tty'), but it depends on the linux distribution
                      > you use.
                      >
                      > I use openSUSE 11.0, and here the tool Yast2 can do it. I now have to
                      > find out how.

                      As I have an OpenSuSE too (10.2) I can help:

                      - Start Yast (Graphical Mode)
                      - choose 'Security and Users' in left tab
                      - choose 'User Management'
                      - select your account and click on 'Edit'-button below
                      - choose second tab for 'Details'
                      - scroll down the group list on the right side and select uucp
                      - 'Accept' should do it finally

                      If you want to do it in textmode, see bleow.

                      > I do have the usermod too:
                      >
                      > usermod -G
                      > usermod: option requires an argument -- 'G'

                      Opps. My mistake. Please use the 'groups' command to get the list of groups
                      you are in, e.g.

                      > groups my_account
                      users dialout video wheel

                      Than you can use 'usermod'

                      > usermod -G users,dialout,video,wheel,uucp my_account

                      afterwards you will get

                      > groups my_account
                      users dialout uucp video wheel

                      Be careful to use commas between the groups and no whitespaces.

                      73,

                      de Tom DL1JBE.

                      --
                      "Do what is needful!"
                      Ursula LeGuin: Earthsea
                      Message 10 of 24 , Jul 10, 2008
                        Hi Tom.

                        > As I have an OpenSuSE too (10.2) I can help:
                        >
                        > - Start Yast (Graphical Mode)
                        > - choose 'Security and Users' in left tab
                        > - choose 'User Management'
                        > - select your account and click on 'Edit'-button below
                        > - choose second tab for 'Details'
                        > - scroll down the group list on the right side and select uucp
                        > - 'Accept' should do it finally

                        Ok, but I have fixed it. What I forgot was to log in log out. I ran
                        SuSEconfig, and it didn't work. Then I wondered why it was necessary
                        to reboot. And it wasn't, but after it worked as user too :-)

                        > If you want to do it in textmode, see bleow.
                        >
                        > > I do have the usermod too:
                        > >
                        > > usermod -G
                        > > usermod: option requires an argument -- 'G'
                        >
                        > Opps. My mistake. Please use the 'groups' command to get the list of
                        groups
                        > you are in, e.g.
                        >
                        > > groups my_account
                        > users dialout video wheel

                        Yes, that also works here:

                        erikja@erikja:~> groups
                        users dialout uucp video

                        :-)

                        > Than you can use 'usermod'
                        >
                        > > usermod -G users,dialout,video,wheel,uucp my_account

                        That I'll save.

                        > afterwards you will get
                        >
                        > > groups my_account
                        > users dialout uucp video wheel
                        >
                        > Be careful to use commas between the groups and no whitespaces.

                        Tnx for the advice.

                        > 73,
                        >
                        > de Tom DL1JBE.
                        >
                        > --