My Problems with Rig Control Over Com1 (bbtrx1.exe & grig + hamlibraries)
- Thanks to all those who responded with suggestions. Here is a summary of what
I have found so far...
1. I have successfully installed wine on this sidux (2008.2) box.
2. Under wine, iInvoking bbtrx1.exe ... the Pegasus control program brings a
zero response ... the icon flashes for a while ... and then stops.
3. Invoking grig ... a linux based rig control program (without wine) ... and
the program bleats about inability to open Com1 (my only serial port). It
has the necessary libraries, etc ... because it will open the dummy
display ... if I attempt to open it without the rig type being mentioned.
4. As an aside, I have operated the rig control running bbtrx1.exe from either
my windows partition (shame, shame) ... and more recently from my virtualbox
program (with winxp as guest).
5. In answer to the question what does the command 'fuser /dev/ttyS0' bring
up ... I have run it before running wine ... and the answer is nothing ...
and during wine it shows two programs ... (i) wine and (ii) bbtrx1.exe. I am
left with the understanding that another program has not commandeered the
6. The port /dev/ttyS0 is owned by root ... and the group is 'dialout'.
Richard ... is a member of dialout.
7. There is a symlink in place ... from Com1 in /dosdevices ... to /dev/ttyS0.
My conclusions are that the port is owned by root but that user 'richard"
should be able to access the port ... and that no other program appears to
have hijacked the port.
Any more ideas please??
Irena & Richard Jenkins