Remote Control

  • ijeh99
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 23, 2008
      There have been recent messages concerning remote operation over a
      network or over the internet.

      Currently, I have access to a virtual desktop on my home computer
      using VNC, with SSH for the strong authentication. This lets me
      operate my K2 with fldigi on all the bands. However, I'd like to take
      this a step further and be able to effect more control over the K2
      (activating a tune cycle on the auto tuner, for example) and perhaps
      operate SSB remotely.

      I'd like to hear examples of what members of the list have done, what
      pitfalls they encountered and what they'd do if they had the time/the
      money/a supportive spouse/etc (insert correct phrase).

      For the record, I've got an Elecraft K2 and I run Puppy Linux 3.01 .
      I've tried to use Grig (http://groundstation.sourceforge.net/grig/),
      but Hamlib doesn't work well for me (I use rigcat control under
      fldigi). Marote (http://www.hamsoftware.org/) isn't bad, but it
      doesn't have the tuner activation,
      and I'd be restricted to staying with the virtual desktop (as opposed
      to using X-11 forwarding available under SSH). For transporting
      audio, pulseaudio is available, but jack and IHU, which were mentioned
      recently, might be easier to implement.

      Kent VE4KEH