RTS/DTR problem with Intel serial port??

  • Hal
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 21, 2008
      Greetings: Anyone familiar with the Intel i815E I/O chip that
      seems different than "standard" RS232?? I can't get PTT working using a
      MB with that chip.. The RTS and DTR ports stay "locked" on -12 v....

      I, also, note that RS232 diagnose pgrms fail with or without a
      loopback plug, yet the port works fine with a V90 or V34+ modem.. ???..

      Any suggestions?? TIA and Vy 73 de W8MCH..
      --

      Hal UNIX-GNU/Linux - Slackware 11.0, 2.4.33.3
      .
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 21, 2008
        Hal wrote:
        > Greetings: Anyone familiar with the Intel i815E I/O chip that
        > seems different than "standard" RS232?? I can't get PTT working using a
        > MB with that chip.. The RTS and DTR ports stay "locked" on -12 v....
        >
        > I, also, note that RS232 diagnose pgrms fail with or without a
        > loopback plug, yet the port works fine with a V90 or V34+ modem.. ???..
        >
        > Any suggestions?? TIA and Vy 73 de W8MCH..

        Did you try the RTS=+V or the DTR=+V settings. I also noted on Intel's
        web page that they seem to imply a >2.4.9 kernel is needed. But that
        seemed to be aimed at the graphics portion.

        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 21, 2008
          Hal wrote:
          > Greetings: Anyone familiar with the Intel i815E I/O chip that
          > seems different than "standard" RS232?? I can't get PTT working using a
          > MB with that chip.. The RTS and DTR ports stay "locked" on -12 v....
          >
          > I, also, note that RS232 diagnose pgrms fail with or without a
          > loopback plug, yet the port works fine with a V90 or V34+ modem.. ???..
          >
          > Any suggestions?? TIA and Vy 73 de W8MCH..

          Are the modems holding the port "captive". Can you disable the modems to
          check ??

          Ed W3NR
        • Rick Kunath
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 21, 2008
            Ed wrote:
            > Hal wrote:
            >> Greetings: Anyone familiar with the Intel i815E I/O chip that
            >> seems different than "standard" RS232?? I can't get PTT working using a
            >> MB with that chip.. The RTS and DTR ports stay "locked" on -12 v....

            Is this com1 or com2? As I recall the com2 port on that motherboard
            chipset can be jumpered for either rs-232, rs-422, or rs-485. If it's
            com2, have you jumpered for rs-232 on the motherboard?

            I'm guessing you might be using com1 (/dev/ttyS0) for rig control and
            com2 (/dev/ttyS1) for PTT?

            Worth a shot anyway. I'd have thought the port would have been jumpered
            for rs-232 by default, but who knows.

            Rick Kunath, k9ao
          • Hal
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 22, 2008
              On 06-21, Ed wrote:
              > Hal wrote:
              > > Greetings: Anyone familiar with the Intel i815E I/O chip that
              > > seems different than "standard" RS232?? I can't get PTT working using a
              > > MB with that chip.. The RTS and DTR ports stay "locked" on -12 v....
              > >
              > > I, also, note that RS232 diagnose pgrms fail with or without a
              > > loopback plug, yet the port works fine with a V90 or V34+ modem.. ???..
              > >
              > > Any suggestions?? TIA and Vy 73 de W8MCH..
              >

              > Did you try the RTS=+V or the DTR=+V settings. I also noted on Intel's
              > web page that they seem to imply a >2.4.9 kernel is needed. But that
              > seemed to be aimed at the graphics portion.
              >
              > Ed W3NR
              >
              > ------------------------------------

              Yes, I tried everything I could and checking Intel I found some
              more information to try.. I just couldn't get any port to change
              polarity for PTT.. Thanks for your input.. More later..

              Vy 73 de W8MCH..

              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 22, 2008
                On 06-21, Ed wrote:
                > Hal wrote:
                > > Greetings: Anyone familiar with the Intel i815E I/O chip that
                > > seems different than "standard" RS232?? I can't get PTT working using a
                > > MB with that chip.. The RTS and DTR ports stay "locked" on -12 v....
                > >
                > > I, also, note that RS232 diagnose pgrms fail with or without a
                > > loopback plug, yet the port works fine with a V90 or V34+ modem.. ???..
                > >
                > > Any suggestions?? TIA and Vy 73 de W8MCH..
                >

                > Are the modems holding the port "captive". Can you disable the modems to
                > check ??
                >
                > Ed W3NR

                Don't think so.. I tried the modem after trying everything else
                but I should double check.. I think I reset the whole machine several
                times but that's a good thought.. I'd better get back with it, eh??
                Vy 73,

                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 22, 2008
                  On 06-21, Rick Kunath wrote:
                  > Ed wrote:
                  > > Hal wrote:
                  > >> Greetings: Anyone familiar with the Intel i815E I/O chip that
                  > >> seems different than "standard" RS232?? I can't get PTT working using a
                  > >> MB with that chip.. The RTS and DTR ports stay "locked" on -12 v....
                  >
                  > Is this com1 or com2? As I recall the com2 port on that motherboard
                  > chipset can be jumpered for either rs-232, rs-422, or rs-485. If it's
                  > com2, have you jumpered for rs-232 on the motherboard?
                  >
                  > I'm guessing you might be using com1 (/dev/ttyS0) for rig control and
                  > com2 (/dev/ttyS1) for PTT?
                  >
                  > Worth a shot anyway. I'd have thought the port would have been jumpered
                  > for rs-232 by default, but who knows.
                  >
                  > Rick Kunath, k9ao

                  Greetings and good thought.. I note that RS485 doesn't support DTR or
                  RTS so that could be a problem.. And I note that the i815 chip supports
                  the three serial schemes but, for some infinite reason, the subject MB
                  doesn't have the jumper or a software switch that I can find.. Perhaps
                  this chip i815"E" is a dumbed down version.. Thank you Intel??

                  My first tests were with Com 1, ttyS0, the one socket supplied
                  externally.. I will, now, try the MB header, Com 2, ttyS1, and see what
                  that does.. I guess I was frustrated that "simple" serial could be so
                  complicated.. Appreciate!!

                  Vy 73 de W8MCH..

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 22, 2008
                    On 06-21, Rick Kunath wrote:
                    > Ed wrote:
                    > > Hal wrote:
                    > >> Greetings: Anyone familiar with the Intel i815E I/O chip that
                    > >> seems different than "standard" RS232?? I can't get PTT working using a
                    > >> MB with that chip.. The RTS and DTR ports stay "locked" on -12 v....
                    >
                    > Is this com1 or com2? As I recall the com2 port on that motherboard
                    > chipset can be jumpered for either rs-232, rs-422, or rs-485. If it's
                    > com2, have you jumpered for rs-232 on the motherboard?
                    >
                    > I'm guessing you might be using com1 (/dev/ttyS0) for rig control and
                    > com2 (/dev/ttyS1) for PTT?
                    >
                    > Worth a shot anyway. I'd have thought the port would have been jumpered
                    > for rs-232 by default, but who knows.
                    >
                    > Rick Kunath, k9ao

                    Update: I have it working now with TWPsk keying OK and will try
                    with FLDigi as soon as I get it working on that machine..

                    Don't know why, but Ed's comment about something being "stuck"
                    made me flail away.. For some reason--even though the BIOS was set to
                    0x3f8 and 0x2f8, ints 4 and 3--I had the problem.. When I changed the
                    BIOS to "auto" for both; all is now well; at least with ttyS1..

                    For kicks I ran several RS232 diag pgms again and two failed
                    with three others saying all is well... Ugh... HI..

                    Thanks all for the input and prodding.. Vy 73..