Re: [linuxham] Re: fldigi remote daemon

  • Stelios Bounanos
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 17, 2008
      Hi Salim,

      > Unfortunately last time I tried hamlib (nov/dec 2007) it did not work
      > for my rig (Kenwood TS-50). I tried debugging to trace the problem a
      > bit, but was not successful (due to various reasons - rig is located
      > in India/VU2LID etc.) at that time.

      The current release of hamlib (1.2.7.1) supports the Kenwood TS-50S. Is
      this the rig model that you tried to use with your TS-50 back in Dec?

      > I thought that I will probably have better luck with fldigi's own rig
      > control interface (Which I think can work without the help of hamlib
      > - AFAIK). For testing I tried HRD running on VMware inside the remote
      > Linux machine - this worked 100%.

      You are correct that fldigi's rigCAT doesn't rely on hamlib.

      I think the most productive thing to do would be to get hamlib to play
      well with the TS-50, either by writing a new rig model or extending the
      TS-50S. Then you'd be able to use all programs that support hamlib.

      And IIRC HRD can export its rig control definition to a text file.

      73,
      Stelios, M0GLD.
    • vu2fly
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 17, 2008
        --- In linuxham@yahoogroups.com, Stelios Bounanos <lham@...> wrote:

        > [snip]
        >
        > > I have not yet tried PulseAudio - will try that.
        >
        > > Last time I was using the Linux VOIP program IHU (http://
        > > packages.debian.org/sid/ihu) - this worked really well (it worked
        so
        > > well that I was able to copy some stations throgh the link which
        some
        > > local stations in India/VU were unable to copy !).
        >
        > I installed the Debian package for ihu to check it out. It looks
        like a
        > well thought out application. With the demise of Speak Freely, it
        must
        > be one of the few direct VOIP apps left. This is a useful feature
        in
        > itself, as SIP can be a pain to get through some NAT routers.
        >
        > I noticed that it uses Speex compression, which is lossy and
        optimised
        > for speech, and therefore probably not so good for digital modes
        signals
        > (it should work well for voice signals, though). There doesn't
        seem to
        > be any way to disable Speex.
        >
        > If ihu had a JACK output you could connect it directly to fldigi. It
        > might still be possible to redirect its ALSA output to JACK with an
        ALSA
        > plugin.

        One of the reasons for using IHU was that it works well from
        commandline, once the system has a proper config file - good for
        automatically starting a dedicated audio link.

        After going through experinces of some other hams trying to work
        digital modes through VOIP links from a remote station - I also get
        the impression that it will be difficult due to errors. This is
        probably one of the reasons why it will be good to be able to operate
        fldigi without the gui (at the remote computer) and connect to it.
        Surprisingly I was able to copy PSK31 stations well through WebSDR
        (http://websdr.ewi.utwente.nl:8901/).

        I discovered fldigi only recetly - I have not yet tried it with IHU.

        73 de salim vu2lid / n8li

        > 73,
        > Stelios, M0GLD.

      • vu2fly
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 17, 2008

          > > Unfortunately last time I tried hamlib (nov/dec 2007) it did not
          work
          > > for my rig (Kenwood TS-50). I tried debugging to trace the
          problem a
          > > bit, but was not successful (due to various reasons - rig is
          located
          > > in India/VU2LID etc.) at that time.
          >
          > The current release of hamlib (1.2.7.1) supports the Kenwood TS-
          50S. Is
          > this the rig model that you tried to use with your TS-50 back in
          Dec?

          The release of hamlib that I tried (Nov/Dec 2007) also said that it
          supports TS-50/TS-50S - but it was untested (according to the hamlib
          web page it is untested even now). Yes this was the rig model that I
          tried with rigctrl.

          > > I thought that I will probably have better luck with fldigi's own
          rig
          > > control interface (Which I think can work without the help of
          hamlib
          > > - AFAIK). For testing I tried HRD running on VMware inside the
          remote
          > > Linux machine - this worked 100%.
          >
          > You are correct that fldigi's rigCAT doesn't rely on hamlib.
          >
          > I think the most productive thing to do would be to get hamlib to
          play
          > well with the TS-50, either by writing a new rig model or extending
          the
          > TS-50S. Then you'd be able to use all programs that support hamlib.
          >
          > And IIRC HRD can export its rig control definition to a text file.

          Thanks !I will try this. I did copy some of the configuration
          parameters from the working HRD setup while briefly trying to debug
          without luck.

          73 de salim vu2lid / n8li